News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bands that should have called it quits when their lead singer left

Started by hbelkins, February 05, 2019, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Three Dog Night kicked out Chuck Negron in the mid 80s and went along with Cory Wells & Danny Hutton as the two singers with Cory taking Chuck's songs.  Danny only sang Liar & Black and White.  Cory died a few years ago and they got a new guy and Danny (the only dog left) still only sings two songs. 

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 11, 2019, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2019, 08:19:55 PM
Saw someone basically claiming "sacrilege" today because Steely Dan is still performing.
" Sacrilege"  is strong, but as far as I'm concerned, the band was Becker and Fagen.

I got to see Steely Dan in concert last year.  From what I can gather, Donald Fagen won't do any Dan tunes when he tours as himself, and he doesn't do any of his solo stuff when he tours as Dan.  It was still an amazing show.  The drum solo during Aja was probably the best thing I have ever heard in my life.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TheStranger

Quote from: inkyatari on June 19, 2019, 02:33:48 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 11, 2019, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2019, 08:19:55 PM
Saw someone basically claiming "sacrilege" today because Steely Dan is still performing.
" Sacrilege"  is strong, but as far as I'm concerned, the band was Becker and Fagen.

I got to see Steely Dan in concert last year.  From what I can gather, Donald Fagen won't do any Dan tunes when he tours as himself, and he doesn't do any of his solo stuff when he tours as Dan.  It was still an amazing show.  The drum solo during Aja was probably the best thing I have ever heard in my life.

I remember hearing a while back that he wanted to retire the Steely Dan name but then wasn't contractually allowed to.  Then later on there have been a few legal squabbles between the Becker estate and Fagen over band ownership.

Interestingly, while I like the classic era SD material (and saw them live twice in 2006), I prefer Walt's solo career significantly over Don's.
Chris Sampang

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2019, 12:26:44 PM
Quote from: spooky on April 15, 2019, 07:19:24 AM
I'm always fascinated by '80s metal bands that play on with different members and sometimes splinter off into two different groups.

Every now and then, one of those "ancestry charts" will float across my Facebook feed. It's amazing how much incestuousness (for lack of a better term) takes place with a lot of those bands. And it's not just 80s bands, either. There's a lot of cross-pollination (again, for lack of a better term) in acts dating back to the 60s and 70s.

Just to boil it down to something quick for those who haven't looked into it, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rainbow and Whitesnake could probably all play each other's songs without looking them up at various points in their careers

For example, I'm pretty sure Neil Murray and Cozy Powell have been in all of those bands.

roadman65

Grand Funk Railroad is not the same without Mark Farmner.  However his move to Christian music is helping him bring the old Gran Funk to his new followers especially when he remade Some Kind of Wonderful into a Christian Song about his love for his new passion!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on June 21, 2019, 09:17:50 AM
Grand Funk Railroad is not the same without Mark Farmner.  However his move to Christian music is helping him bring the old Gran Funk to his new followers especially when he remade Some Kind of Wonderful into a Christian Song about his love for his new passion!
Indeed, this is true.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.