News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bands that should have called it quits when their lead singer left

Started by hbelkins, February 05, 2019, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Foreigner. Kelly Hansen is no Lou Gramm.

Van Halen III. The Gary Cherone thing just didn't work.

Black Sabbath. Dio was great, but Ozzy was unique.

AC/DC. Yes, I know "Back In Black" was a huge hit, but nothing they've done since was as good. I'll listen to the Bon Scott era releases any day. Can't say the same for the Brian Johnson albums except "Back In Black" and a few isolated tracks from subsequent releases.

Chicago. Neither Donnie Dacus nor Bill Champlin were the same as the late Terry Kath. What they should have done was let Lee Loughnane sing the Kath songs and bring someone else on to play trumpet. And now they're on their second or third Peter Cetera replacement.

And, bands that didn't miss a beat when they changed singers.

Van Halen II. I always preferred the Roth era, but "Van Hagar" wasn't all THAT bad.

Iron Maiden. If anything, Bruce Dickinson was an upgrade over Paul Di'Anno.

Molly Hatchet. Jimmy Farrar didn't sound the same as Danny Joe Brown, but it worked.

Rainbow. It was never about the vocalist (Dio, Bonnett, Turner, etc.). It was always about Ritchie Blackmore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Agreed on Chicago.

Journey should have hung it up post-Steve Perry.

Maybe the Doobie Brothers - I don't know if the Michael McDonald era was worse or just different.  Certainly not "bad."

The post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums were OK, certainly products of their time, but they shouldn't have toured.

It seems like the Van Hagar era was a pivot away from arena rock/hair metal.  For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was also a product of its time.

Takumi

INXS should have stopped after Michael Hutchence died. Or maybe even before, but definitely after.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on February 05, 2019, 12:42:10 PM
INXS should have stopped after Michael Hutchence died. Or maybe even before, but definitely after.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about their post-Hutchence career.

Similarly, Queen should never have reunited after Freddie Mercury died.

abefroman329

KISS should have called it quits the first time one of their members flipped out because someone was shining a laser pointer at the stage.

kevinb1994

Yes should have called it quits instead of replacing Jon Anderson late in their career.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 11:14:55 AM

The post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums were OK, certainly products of their time, but they shouldn't have toured.

I can't remember the vocal split between Waters and Gilmour, but I always preferred Gilmour's voice to Waters.'

Gilmour's first two solo albums were excellent. I play them frequently, although "About Face" is one of the most depressing albums ever made.

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 12:46:42 PM

Am I the only one who's a fan of Roger Taylor and Brian May as vocalists?

The "Queen+" branding is a bit odd. I thought Paul Rodgers was a decent fit in that configuration, because he is a big name himself. A bit reminiscent of the "supergroups."

1995hoo

Mott the Hoople should have called it quits when Ian Hunter left. Technically I suppose they did in that they changed their name, but the change was just shortening it to "Mott"  at first so it wasn't much of a change. Mott then became British Lions. Either way, it wasn't the same after Hunter quit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2019, 01:55:02 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 11:14:55 AMThe post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums were OK, certainly products of their time, but they shouldn't have toured.
I can't remember the vocal split between Waters and Gilmour, but I always preferred Gilmour's voice to Waters.
Gilmour's voice is higher than Waters' (I think Gilmour sings lead on Run Like Hell).  When I saw Waters on his tour in 2006 and 2007, he had female backup singers singing the Gilmour parts, I don't know if if that was intended as a Take That or if that was the best way of getting it done.

There's also very, very little about Waters' politics that you would like.

kphoger

I didn't even realize INXS or Queen had continued on.  Wow, I can't even imagine those bands without their lead singers.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2019, 03:02:54 PM

I didn't even realize INXS or Queen had continued on.  Wow, I can't even imagine those bands without their lead singers.
There was a pretty lengthy hiatus between the time their respective lead singers died and the time the reunited.  And I think INXS had some sort of reality show about searching for their new lead singer?

Mark68

Technically, Waters was never the "lead" singer. If anyone was the "lead", it was Gilmour. Most of their popular songs were sung by Gilmour, a few by Waters (especially on Animals & The Wall). Some of the songs were also sung by Gilmour and Waters, some by Gilmour and Richard Wright. One ("Have A Cigar") was sung by Roy Harper.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2019, 03:02:54 PM

There was a pretty lengthy hiatus between the time their respective lead singers died and the time the reunited.  And I think INXS had some sort of reality show about searching for their new lead singer?
Indeed. INXS did a few shows with guest singers in the interim, but the reality show was around 2004 or so and their lone album with their new singer came out a year or so later. I bought it used at a thrift store a few years ago. I might have made it through one listen.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mark68 on February 05, 2019, 03:42:36 PM

Technically, Waters was never the "lead" singer. If anyone was the "lead", it was Gilmour. Most of their popular songs were sung by Gilmour, a few by Waters (especially on Animals & The Wall). Some of the songs were also sung by Gilmour and Waters, some by Gilmour and Richard Wright. One ("Have A Cigar") was sung by Roy Harper.

So, no wonder he didn't know which one was Pink.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2019, 10:43:28 AM
Black Sabbath. Dio was great, but Ozzy was unique.

Nothing about Ian Gillan, Tony Martin, or Glenn Hughes as well? Sabbath is one of my favorites and I honestly love all the eras.

Also, speaking of Ian Gillan, Deep Purple adding him was a massive upgrade, and lead to their run of great music.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't mind the Queen reunions because they always made it clear that the singer along for the tour was merely as a collaboration and not pretending he was actually a new band member.

Supertramp without Roger Hodgson (technically the co-lead singer). I think he sang all but about two of their biggest hits ("Bloody Well Right"  and "Goodbye Stranger"  were Rick Davies). Hodgson and his former bandmates had an agreement not to play each other's music after Hodgson quit, but I think eventually the Davies-led band said "F it"  because Hodgson had all the hits. Hodgson went on to have a semi decent solo career while Supertramp cratered without him.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 05, 2019, 01:43:07 PM
Yes should have called it quits instead of replacing Jon Anderson late in their career.

I have less of a problem with this than trying to replace Chris Squire after his death. I saw the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman Yes in 2017 and it was incredible.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 12:47:27 PM
KISS should have called it quits the first time one of their members flipped out because someone was shining a laser pointer at the stage.

KISS should have called it quits, rather than getting rid of the makeup, in 1983.

Others:

Van Halen:  Sorry, but "Van Hagar" sucked, because Sammy Hagar sucked.  He managed to be even more obnoxious than David Lee Roth (if such a thing was possible), but at least Roth had a sense of humor, which I don't remember from Hagar.

Doobie Brothers:  When Michael McDonald replaced Tom Johnston in 1976, the rest of the band became pretty much an afterthought/backup band to McDonald's vocals.  They were successful, of course, but they were no longer the "real" Doobies.

Uriah Heep:  After David Byron was fired by the band for alcohol abuse in 1976, they went through 4 other lead vocalists before settling on Bernie Shaw in 1986.  They fell off the map, as far as the US was concerned, right about the time Byron was canned.  He died in 1985.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

roadman65

Genesis after Phil Collins left as the singer who replaced him brought the band no fame.  In fact to the late baby boomers and Generation X, many thought that both Phil and Genesis was synonymous and never gave either Tony Banks or Mike Rutherford their due as they also were very talented in that group.

Collins leaving in the end busted that band for sure despite they survived the departure of Peter Gabriel and the change in genre as they went from progressive to pop rock when Steve Hackett left in 1978.

When Paul Rogers left Bad Co, I know many hated his replacement, but I thought that they were not bad. In fact I liked the song Walking on Holy Water.

Another was Boston when Brad Delp departed (either from his suicide or resignation from the band before his tragic death) as Tom Sholtz was the mastermind and it was his instrumental arranging really that gave Boston its sound. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 05, 2019, 08:37:30 PM
I don't mind the Queen reunions because they always made it clear that the singer along for the tour was merely as a collaboration and not pretending he was actually a new band member.

Supertramp without Roger Hodgson (technically the co-lead singer). I think he sang all but about two of their biggest hits ("Bloody Well Right"  and "Goodbye Stranger"  were Rick Davies). Hodgson and his former bandmates had an agreement not to play each other's music after Hodgson quit, but I think eventually the Davies-led band said "F it"  because Hodgson had all the hits. Hodgson went on to have a semi decent solo career while Supertramp cratered without him.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 05, 2019, 01:43:07 PM

I have less of a problem with this than trying to replace Chris Squire after his death. I saw the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman Yes in 2017 and it was incredible.

Yeah the whole Chris Squire thing was a PITA.

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2019, 09:52:30 PM
Genesis after Phil Collins left as the singer who replaced him brought the band no fame.  In fact to the late baby boomers and Generation X, many thought that both Phil and Genesis was synonymous and never gave either Tony Banks or Mike Rutherford their due as they also were very talented in that group.

Collins leaving in the end busted that band for sure despite they survived the departure of Peter Gabriel and the change in genre as they went from progressive to pop rock when Steve Hackett left in 1978.

When Paul Rogers left Bad Co, I know many hated his replacement, but I thought that they were not bad. In fact I liked the song Walking on Holy Water.

Another was Boston when Brad Delp departed (either from his suicide or resignation from the band before his tragic death) as Tom Sholtz was the mastermind and it was his instrumental arranging really that gave Boston its sound.

Yeah Genesis should have called it quits when Phil Collins finally left to concentrate on his still-thriving solo career.

TheHighwayMan3561

Related to Chicago/Genesis, a large part of Cetera's departure was him wanting a similar arrangement that Genesis had to allow Collins equal parts time working with the band and running his solo career. Chicago wasn't keen on giving Cetera the same treatment so he said "smell ya later" .
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kevinb1994

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 05, 2019, 10:54:21 PM
Related to Chicago/Genesis, a large part of Cetera's departure was him wanting a similar arrangement that Genesis had to allow Collins equal parts time working with the band and running his solo career. Chicago wasn't keen on giving Cetera the same treatment so he said "smell ya later" .

Yeah I read about that and that just pissed me off that it couldn't be done like it was with Genesis and Phil Collins. They might as well have called it quits at that point, but no, they just turned into a depreciated-value oldies act.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2019, 08:15:46 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on February 05, 2019, 03:42:36 PM

So, no wonder he didn't know which one was Pink.

:-D

SectorZ

The whole Genesis thing with the Ray Wilson album was due to the record company being owed one final album. It was more of a contractual thing, and the others didn't want to get sued so they saved themselves (and Collins too) from that.

Since I got into hard rock and heavy metal in the very late 80's, I will freely admit that Brian Howe-era Bad Company is vastly superior to Paul Rodgers. The Holy Water album is incredible. I actually think Rodgers is one of the more overrated singers out there.

I'll also circle back to Foreigner and point out the album from 1991 they had with Johnny Edwards. Didn't do well, but had one very good hard rock song on it (Low Down and Dirty) which while good, was just way out of character for them.

inkyatari

I saw Boston in concert two years ago, and the show was amazing.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.