News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highway 1 through the lost coast

Started by texaskdog, January 19, 2019, 01:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2020, 11:54:47 PM
One of the new CA 211 shields:

211Caa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Nice looking job!   Looks like there's a wider white outline around the green number field than usual.  But D1 got the kerning right (unlike D4 practice; there's new signage for CA 61 near Oakland Airport, and about 1 out of 5/6 actually looks acceptable!).

STLmapboy

I tried tracing mountain roads from Hales Grove on 1 to Whitethorn. Dear lord, how do people living on the Lost Coast get around?!
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Having been back in there I can tell you it ain't easy and is time consuming (in a good way during a visit).

Quote from: sparker on October 15, 2020, 05:34:54 AM

Nice looking job!   Looks like there's a wider white outline around the green number field than usual.  But D1 got the kerning right (unlike D4 practice; there's new signage for CA 61 near Oakland Airport, and about 1 out of 5/6 actually looks acceptable!).

Now what would be really great if there was something at the Fernbridge Exit from US 101.  At least heading south there is no trail blazer shield on any of the guide signs.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 15, 2020, 02:48:03 PM
Having been back in there I can tell you it ain't easy and is time consuming (in a good way during a visit).

Now what would be really great if there was something at the Fernbridge Exit from US 101.  At least heading south there is no trail blazer shield on any of the guide signs.

Last time I was up there (ca. 2014) there was a stand-alone CA 211 trailblazer with an angled arrow just before the exit on NB 101; didn't come back that way, so don't know if a similar one was posted SB. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on October 15, 2020, 07:02:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 15, 2020, 02:48:03 PM

Last time I was up there (ca. 2014) there was a stand-alone CA 211 trailblazer with an angled arrow just before the exit on NB 101; didn't come back that way, so don't know if a similar one was posted SB.

Definitely isn't one now on SB 101.  I'm not sure about NB 101 though.  Slightly off topic, CA 254 were rare to find in field this year.  Most of the signage just indicates "Avenue of the Giants."

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 15, 2020, 12:27:40 PM
I tried tracing mountain roads from Hales Grove on 1 to Whitethorn. Dear lord, how do people living on the Lost Coast get around?!

Slowly.

pderocco

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 17, 2020, 06:18:59 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 15, 2020, 12:27:40 PM

Slowly.

I saw a trip report with pictures on Usal Road in a passenger car. It's dirt, but looks drivable. Now that's the real lost coast, not the easy Mattole Road through Petrolia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.