News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Current and pending major bridge projects

Started by MrDisco99, March 31, 2017, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InterstateGuy

MrDisco99

My bad, the news outlets for whatever reason keep referring to it as a "bridge", even though it isn't much of one. Just thoguht it was interesting. Anyway if we are talking about big crossings, the new Tappan Zee looks great. I drove up there a few weeks ago. lots of builders are using Cable-Stayed I notice. Can't wait to drive over it. Now the question is what will it be called?

InterstateGuy

Hey by any chance does anyone know the reason the Goethals is being replaced? The only thing i can think of is that the lanes are not up to current Interstate standards with how narrow they are but thats about it.

GreenLanternCorps

One to add to the list is the I-69 Bridge over the Ohio.  Per it's own thread the the two states are working on the enviromental paper work with a view of having actual construction work start in 3-5 years.

I'm guessing it is because the Louisville bridges are complete, it is going to be funded by bonds and tolls, and it's low hanging fruit compared to the mess that the Brent Spence is going to be for Ohio and Kentucky...

MrDisco99

Quote from: InterstateGuy on April 06, 2017, 07:43:46 AM
Hey by any chance does anyone know the reason the Goethals is being replaced? The only thing i can think of is that the lanes are not up to current Interstate standards with how narrow they are but thats about it.

Similar reasons as the Tappan Zee... it is functionally obsolete.  It wasn't built to handle the traffic demand that is on it now and it is old and in danger of falling apart.  I drove on it recently and it's pretty scary how high and narrow and crowded it is, despite the high toll.

InterstateGuy

Oh ok. I knew the Tappan Zee was in bad shape because it was made of materials used during a shortage due to the Korean War. it was only meant to last about 50 years. I knew the Goethals had old and outdated narrow lanes but had no idea it was in that bad of shape as well. And the Kosciuzko looks EXTREMELY outdated and rusty.

lepidopteran

Quote from: MrDisco99 on April 06, 2017, 04:07:24 PM
Quote from: InterstateGuy on April 06, 2017, 07:43:46 AM
Hey by any chance does anyone know the reason the Goethals is being replaced?
Similar reasons as the Tappan Zee... it is functionally obsolete.  It wasn't built to handle the traffic demand that is on it now and it is old and in danger of falling apart.
The lanes are only 10' wide, not a lot of margin for error with tractor-trailers up to 102" wide -- do the math, that's 9 inches of clearance on each side.  And there are no breakdown shoulders to speak of, so any time a vehicle breaks down, there's a major traffic backup.

jwolfer

Quote from: InterstateGuy on April 06, 2017, 06:00:53 PM
Oh ok. I knew the Tappan Zee was in bad shape because it was made of materials used during a shortage due to the Korean War. it was only meant to last about 50 years. I knew the Goethals had old and outdated narrow lanes but had no idea it was in that bad of shape as well. And the Kosciuzko looks EXTREMELY outdated and rusty.
I havent been in over 20 years but i remember thinkinh the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel was very outdated as far as traffic demands.. But receonstruction would be logisitilly and financially impossible

LGMS428

InterstateGuy

lepidopteran

That actually happened last year when i was headed down to Wildwood for a vacation. there was a breakdown so everyone had to move over.

InterstateGuy

A new project could come about soon to replace another aging NY bridge. That bridge being the Outerbridge Crossing (NY 440/NJ 440). It also suffers from traffic congestion like Goethals. 
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/study_to_begin_on_outerbridge.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on March 31, 2017, 08:03:49 PM
The Nice Bridge over the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia, which is part of U.S. 301. Governor Larry Hogan evidently approved plans to widen the bridge from two lanes to four.

Strictly  speaking, it is not a widening of the existing crossing.   It is the construction of an entirely new bridge with four lanes (plus shoulders and a multi-purpose trail) and the eventual abandonment and demolition of the existing structure that was opened in 1940.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MrDisco99

Quote from: InterstateGuy on April 07, 2017, 03:29:49 PM
A new project could come about soon to replace another aging NY bridge. That bridge being the Outerbridge Crossing (NY 440/NJ 440). It also suffers from traffic congestion like Goethals. 
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/study_to_begin_on_outerbridge.html

I fully expect this to get underway when the new Goethals is complete.  The two original bridges were built around the same time and have similar utilization and similar problems today.

roadman65

Interesting!  I take it will be another Cable Stayed Bridge of course.  Six lanes, full outer shoulders and a sidewalk and possible space for a transit line.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

The U.S. 301 Nottoway River bridge in Virginia is being replaced right now. This isn't too much of an issue since most people take the parallel I-95 anyway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Beltway

Quote from: epzik8 on June 23, 2017, 09:54:44 PM
The U.S. 301 Nottoway River bridge in Virginia is being replaced right now. This isn't too much of an issue since most people take the parallel I-95 anyway.

It has a long detour but well signed.  I was out there a few weeks ago and all the girders had been placed and they were about to start building the roadway deck.  Should be complete soon.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Not a very impressive bridge, but still important for East Coast travel - the  replacement of  the elderly and structurally deficient Canton Viaduct on I-895 (Harbor Tunnel Thruway) in Baltimore is advertised for bids right now.  There will be extended periods of one lane being open in each  direction, and there will also be total shutdowns of  I-895 on weekends. 

In addition to the replacement of the viaduct (which is about 1 mile long), the contractor will also have to do some significant repair and rehabilitation work in the tunnel tubes.

See the I-895 thread for details.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

nexus73

Oregon SR 38 is getting a new bridge across the Umpqua River by Scottsburg with construction supposedly beginning in 2019 and finishing in 2022.  The current bridge dates back to the late Twenties.  It is narrow with terrible approaches. 

Just started on 38: A massive culvert repair project that will go through the end of 2018.  Two culverts will be replaced by very small sections of bridging.

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

cbeach40

Approvals were issued this week for a replacement for the 87 year old Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor. The bridge's ownership have stated that the new structure will be North America's longer cable-stayed bridge.

Construction is speculated to start in about a year, about the same time as work goes ahead on the new Gordie Howe International Bridge two miles downstream.
and waterrrrrrr!

Revive 755

There are two replacements in progress for bridges across the Illinois River in Illinois:

* IL 178 at Utica (in the early stages of construction)
* IL 89 at Spring Valley (appears to have most of the beams up)

Then there's the replacement of the US 54/Champ Clark Bridge across the Mississippi at Lousiana, MO.
http://www.champclarkbridge.com/champclark/images/PDF/Handout-for-public-meeting-3.pdf

I know the design is limited by cost issues, but to me it seems that one has too many piers in the water and should have a longer span and less piers for barges to strike.

roadman65

NJ has two major ones as the Pulaski Skyway and NJ 72 Bridges.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: InterstateGuy on April 06, 2017, 06:00:53 PM
And the Kosciuzko looks EXTREMELY outdated and rusty.

It's been torn down - the first of two spans intended to replace it opened in April 2017 and the second will open in 2020.

KEVIN_224

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.