News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 18, 2015, 03:32:05 PM
From today's Monday Morning Quarterback (by Peter King) article.

QuoteMR. STARWOOD PREFERRED MEMBER TRAVEL NOTE OF THE WEEK

I kept wondering what the GPS in my car was trying to say over the weekend as we left New York City headed for my nephew's college graduation dinner in Baltimore. You know how the female voice in those GPS systems can mispronounce with the best of them? Well, as we drove onto the New Jersey Turnpike and headed south, the voice said, Merge left and head south toward Carsley, or something like that.

Carsley? Could it be Carlstadt? Wrong direction. Kearney? Maybe.

A mile or so later, the voice said, Merge left and head south toward Carsonley.

There is no Carsonley. Now I was getting confused.

Here came the sign, as we approached the lovely area of the Turnpike north of Newark Airport, for the highway that was about to split in two going south. On the left-hand side of the road, the New Jersey Turnpike south, it read:

CARS ONLY
While I don't doubt the scenario is real, and I am pretty sure I've heard that pronunciation from my own GPS myself (and recognized what it meant without issue), what's interesting here is:
1. In my experience the GPS doesn't have enough resolution to detect whether I'm on the inner or outer roadway
2. Do trucks have special GPSs with info about where trucks are around? I don't recall seeing an "avoid no trucks" or something on any GPSs I've used
3. How does the GPS select which roadway to use in the absense of real time traffic info? At random?

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 18, 2015, 03:50:18 PM

I kept wondering what the GPS in my car was trying to say over the weekend as we left New York City headed for my nephew’s college graduation dinner in Baltimore. You know how the female voice in those GPS systems can mispronounce with the best of them? Well, as we drove onto the New Jersey Turnpike and headed south, the voice said, Merge left and head south toward Carsley, or something like that.

Here came the sign, as we approached the lovely area of the Turnpike north of Newark Airport, for the highway that was about to split in two going south. On the left-hand side of the road, the New Jersey Turnpike south, it read:

CARS ONLY
While I don't doubt the scenario is real, and I am pretty sure I've heard that pronunciation from my own GPS myself (and recognized what it meant without issue), what's interesting here is:
1. In my experience the GPS doesn't have enough resolution to detect whether I'm on the inner or outer roadway
2. Do trucks have special GPSs with info about where trucks are around? I don't recall seeing an "avoid no trucks" or something on any GPSs I've used
3. How does the GPS select which roadway to use in the absense of real time traffic info? At random?

Regardless of which option you take, you are probably within the range of error that even if you were in the right most truck lane, it would think you are in the proper lane. 

One of the problems of GPSs and online maps is at toll plazas with express electronic toll lanes & traditional lanes.  Generally they are telling the driver to take one or the other, rather than providing the options based on how you choose to pay.   And in the case cited above, the GPS should be programmed to notify the driver of the options ahead as well.  If the Cars Only lanes were closed and the GPS insisted on the Cars Only lanes, it would add confusion to the driver.

In my days of working Interchange 1, there would be motorists coming off the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  If the Turnpike was closed due to an accident or something, cars would literally drive around the cop car and flares to enter the Turnpike anyway, because their directions told them to do so.  If the motorist did that, the cop wouldn't leave his post to chase him down; the motorist would eventually just have to suffer in the ensuing stopped traffic.

SignBridge

Frig those dopey GPS things! I still use old fashioned paper road-maps, which enable me to see the big picture and plan my route intelligently. And they're less expensive too. Yes I'm dating myself here. LOL

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignBridge on May 18, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
Frig those dopey GPS things! I still use old fashioned paper road-maps, which enable me to see the big picture and plan my route intelligently. And they're less expensive too. Yes I'm dating myself here. LOL
Preach it Brother!  :thumbsup:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SignBridge on May 12, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
Back when I was a kid in the 1950's & 60's littering was considered a bigger problem and there was some enforcement, anti-littering commercials on TV, etc. Today I think littering is less common, and regrettably there probably isn't much enforcement.

It became a big social no-no in the 1970s, when it was drilled into our heads on the level that anti-smoking messages would be later, and with similar effect.

This was periodically demonstrated by an ex-girlfriend of mine who would just pointedly throw her empty soda cup or whatever to the ground when done.  People's jaws would drop, aghast, like she'd lit a cigarette in the doctor's office, and then she'd pick it up as she'd always planned to, pleased with herself. 

I was always impressed by the level of panic this would induce in the adjacent members of society.  "You can't... You're BREAKING THE RULES!" their looks said.

1995hoo

I kept wondering what the GPS in my car was trying to say over the weekend as we left New York City headed for my nephew's college graduation dinner in Baltimore. You know how the female voice in those GPS systems can mispronounce with the best of them? Well, as we drove onto the New Jersey Turnpike and headed south, the voice said, Merge left and head south toward Carsley, or something like that.

CARS ONLY

Mine will tell me to go to one or the other, but regardless of which I choose, it will assume I'm on the one it designated (unless–and this doesn't happen on the Jersey Turnpike–the two carriageways pull far enough apart for the device to notice I'm on the "wrong" one).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2015, 09:58:07 PM

CARS ONLY

Mine will tell me to go to one or the other, but regardless of which I choose, it will assume I'm on the one it designated (unless–and this doesn't happen on the Jersey Turnpike–the two carriageways pull far enough apart for the device to notice I'm on the "wrong" one).

I have a Garmin DEZL in my truck, it is aware of all truck restrictions and will not put me on a restricted route, and will even audibly warn me if i try to go on one. Sometimes it gets dumb, like thinking the Poplar St Bridge in St Louis is restricted going into IL. it isn't, but it says i am too heavy for a 40 ton weight limit, even though my truck is 40 tons.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

http://www.govtech.com/fs/New-Jersey-Turns-to-Internet-of-Things-to-Improve-Roadway-Safety.html

QuoteThere are 28 interchanges on the turnpike and 359 entrances and exits on the parkway.

Um...I think they may have over-exaggerated the number of entrances and exits on the Parkway! 

QuoteThe New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway...in some sections accommodate 14 lanes of traffic."

They under-exaggerated this one!  Over the Raritan River, the highway is 15 lanes wide.  It's also, I believe, the widest overpass in the US.

Quote(from Rich Teitelbaum, IBM client executive for New Jersey government.):...It's impossible to reduce collisions and traffic jams to zero...

This is refreshing to hear.  How often do we hear that the goal is 0 incidents or accidents?  It's impossible to reach.  All you can do is manage the issues that do come up.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Bold emphasis added to the below-quote:

Quote from: NJ.com ArticleThe State Police today unveiled a newly designed black Chevy Caprice with a frosted image of the division's logo that will be out on the streets just in time for the unofficial start of summer. While the cars are technically marked, they won't stand out in traffic.

Side bar (& most motorheads/car enthusiasts know this): Unlike other vehicles used by police departments and highway patrols that are based off present or previous retail models (Charger, Crown Victoria, Explorer, Impala, Tahoe, Taurus) the current (Holden-based) Caprice is only available to law enforcement (as a 'fleet only' vehicle). 

In a nutshell, if one sees any late model Caprice on the road, regardless of its paintjob & markings; it's most likely an active patrol vehicle (they're not old enough to be decommissioned & auctioned off to the public en masse yet).

Vehicle type in question:

Front angle

Rear angle
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2015, 03:48:45 PM
In a nutshell, if one sees any late model Caprice on the road, regardless of its paintjob & markings; it's most likely an active patrol vehicle (they're not old enough to be decommissioned & auctioned off to the public en masse yet).

Supposedly, GM is going to be selling the Holden Caprice in the North American auto market to consumers as the Chevrolet SS (looks like a pretty cool mid-life crisis car), but I am not sure if that has actually happened.

Maryland State Police and Maryland Transportation Authority Police have been running the Holden sedans for at least two years now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 19, 2015, 08:12:57 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on May 18, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
Preach it Brother!  :thumbsup:
Unfortunately I can't get my hands on paper road maps  :-o  :no: But I still love them.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignBridge

I recently bought some conventional road maps at Barnes & Noble. I'm stocking up for a time when they will no longer be available anywhere........

Roadrunner75

Quote from: NJ.com ArticleThe State Police today unveiled a newly designed black Chevy Caprice with a frosted image of the division's logo that will be out on the streets just in time for the unofficial start of summer. While the cars are technically marked, they won't stand out in traffic.

Side bar (& most motorheads/car enthusiasts know this): Unlike other vehicles used by police departments and highway patrols that are based off present or previous retail models (Charger, Crown Victoria, Explorer, Impala, Tahoe, Taurus) the current (Holden-based) Caprice is only available to law enforcement (as a 'fleet only' vehicle). 

It must be the Caprice that I am starting to see the NJSP using along the GSP around here (marked "classic" white style).  It just doesn't look menacing enough.  I liked when they started using the Chargers - marked or unmarked, I think it commands a little more respect.  When I see the newer cars, I just can't help but feel that they are gonna start driving Smart Cars next.  A neighboring town is using black Chargers and you mind your P's and Q's when passing through.....

signalman

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 22, 2015, 11:12:09 PM

It must be the Caprice that I am starting to see the NJSP using along the GSP around here (marked "classic" white style).  It just doesn't look menacing enough.  I liked when they started using the Chargers - marked or unmarked, I think it commands a little more respect.  When I see the newer cars, I just can't help but feel that they are gonna start driving Smart Cars next.  A neighboring town is using black Chargers and you mind your P's and Q's when passing through.....
The NJSP have been buying a lot of Caprice PPVs.  I have seen several out of the northern NJ barracks (Totowa, Hope, Netcong) patrolling I-80.  My local municipal police force just recently acquired one too.  They may not look mean, but don't try challenging them.  They're very fast; 0-60 in 3.7 seconds or something close to that.  I can't remember what exactly I read in Car & Driver.  They have 415 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. 

My cousin is a police officer in my local town.  They have a few Chargers, a few old Crown Vics, various SUVs, and one PPV (they plan to order more when funds allow) in their fleet.  He's driven the PPV a few times and claims that it is by far their quickest accelerating and handles the best out of their fleet of vehicles.

CP is right that Chevrolet has released the same car for civilian use.  Sold as the Chevrolet SS.  They were available in limited production in 2014 with a six speed manual as the only available transmission.  For 2015 an automatic option has been made available.  I have yet to see one on the road.  I'd love to own one (or at least take one for a ride).  I realistically can't afford one though.

SteveG1988

Quote from: signalman on May 23, 2015, 06:51:39 AM

The NJSP have been buying a lot of Caprice PPVs.  I have seen several out of the northern NJ barracks (Totowa, Hope, Netcong) patrolling I-80.  My local municipal police force just recently acquired one too.  They may not look mean, but don't try challenging them.  They're very fast; 0-60 in 3.7 seconds or something close to that.  I can't remember what exactly I read in Car & Driver.  They have 415 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. 

My cousin is a police officer in my local town.  They have a few Chargers, a few old Crown Vics, various SUVs, and one PPV (they plan to order more when funds allow) in their fleet.  He's driven the PPV a few times and claims that it is by far their quickest accelerating and handles the best out of their fleet of vehicles.

CP is right that Chevrolet has released the same car for civilian use.  Sold as the Chevrolet SS.  They were available in limited production in 2014 with a six speed manual as the only available transmission.  For 2015 an automatic option has been made available.  I have yet to see one on the road.  I'd love to own one (or at least take one for a ride).  I realistically can't afford one though.

the SS is nearly 46,000 dollars. Base Price. The SS has a slightly altered nose, a larger lower grill section compared to the PPV.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

The Chevy Caprice PPV is available with a "hot" 6.0L V-8, but also with a less-hot 3.6L V-6.  That V-6 may be the preferred car for use by municipal police officers and detectives.

This might be a good car to look for used after a year or two on the road. Interestingly, the Chevy SS only comes with that big (and thirsty) V-8 engine (no V-6 available).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

thenetwork

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 11, 2015, 10:09:33 AM
Even those against litter don't give it a second thought about throwing cig butts out the window.

Kinda like those who chew gum who spit it out anywhere on the ground when they've grown tired of it -- If you've had all (or part) of the item in your mouth, then it's not litter in their minds.

What I (as a non-smoker) cannot stand is if you are following someone at slower speeds who smokes.  Even if your windows are up, if you are close enough to someone who is blowing smoke or holding their cigarette outside their window, you can sometimes pick up their 2nd hand aroma in your own car.

I wish there was a device in your car that could store your "methane emissions" and release them as needed at people behind you when necessary (tailgaters, people who smoke that you were stuck behind for a while, people behind you with their high-beams on, etc...).  Knowing my emissions, it could solve a lot of on-road problems!!!

noelbotevera

Quote from: Jim on May 10, 2015, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2015, 09:41:06 AM
So, who has an ashtray anymore anyway?

I have never smoked and never will.  Can anyone who does comment on why it seems so widely accepted to throw cigarettes out car windows?  For some reason, it's one of those things that really bothers me.  I would never even think about throwing trash out my car window, especially not trash that's on fire!
It's been about twenty years (he quit in 1995) since my dad smoked. Must've thrown all of those cigarettes onto the turnpike  :-D
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

I hit the climate control's "recirculate" button if I see a smoker ahead, or a vehicle emitting smoke (like a car burning oil or a bus belching black exhaust).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

The Turnpike has been aiming at famous people of late.  Mathematician John Nash, portrayed in "A Beatiful Mind," was killed along with his wife in a taxi crash on the Turnpike in Monroe Township:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/a-beautiful-mind-that-left-a-mark-on-math-and-the-world-1.1341871

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 22, 2015, 07:01:54 PM

Supposedly, GM is going to be selling the Holden Caprice in the North American auto market to consumers as the Chevrolet SS (looks like a pretty cool mid-life crisis car), but I am not sure if that has actually happened.
Yes and no. 

Yes, Chevy is now offering a version of the Holden Commodore to the retail market as the Chevorlet SS; which basically looks like a Pontiac G8 with a Chevy nose & badging (see photos below).

No, in that the Caprice PPV that NJSP and other law enforcement agencies (Salem, MA being one of them) are using is not the same exact car as the Chevy SS.  The Caprice PPV is based off the longer Holden Statesman(?) sedan and is still only sold new to fleet markets (basically law enforcement agencies).

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 23, 2015, 08:04:07 PMInterestingly, the Chevy SS only comes with that big (and thirsty) V-8 engine (no V-6 available).
It's worth noting that the only reason why the Holden/Chevy Statesman-based Caprice and Commodore-based SS sedan are being offered at all is because of a contractual agreement that GM had with Holden of Australia to sell X number (not sure of the exact number) of cars in the U.S. market per year. 

Previously, the Commodore-based Pontiac G8 sedan was the vehicle intended for such a contractual obligation.  But when a perfect storm of events came about circa 2007-2008 (gas prices soaring, higher CAFE standards becoming a reality, the economy tanking along with GM killing off several brands and models (including Pontiac and its G8 sedan)); GM found itself in breach of its contract with Holden.  Given the fact that GM accepted government money for its bailout and the fact that higher CAFE standards, rising gas prices plus a crappy economy at the time made selling a new V8 sedan to the retail market much more difficult; GM decided to offer the longer, Statesman-based sedan as a fleet/police-only vehicle (the Caprice PPV) as a means of meeting their contractual obligation with Holden without taking too severe a hit in their overall fleet fuel economy averages for cars.  Since cop vehicles are mass-produced; they are subject to the same fuel economy standards as their retail counterparts.

While that theory/approach may have looked good on paper; such a limited availability (most vehicles that become fleet only towards the end of their production life and generally had a longer previous life in the retail market) plus the fact that the vehicles were made in Australia (production & shipping delays) caused sales of the Carpice PPV to fall well short of its anticipated goals/figures.  As a result, GM realized that it needed to sell a Holden-based vehicle to a wider market; which is where the shorter, Commodore-based SS sedan recently came into existence.  Note: the below photos show that the SS is not the Caprice PPV.

Front view of 2014 model:

Rear view:

In a effort to prevent retail sales of the SS sedan from completely crucifying GM's car fleet fuel economy averages (but meeting contractual sales goals/figures); Chevy is only offering it as a loaded, top-end version (which is why it's only offering the V8 engine).  Want a V6 sedan?  Chevy will direct one towards their own new FWD Impala.

Of course with Holden liquidating next year ceasing all vehicle production after 2017; the Caprice PPV and SS sedans along with GM's contract w/Holden will no longer exist once Holden production goes bye-bye.

Quote from: signalman on May 23, 2015, 06:51:39 AMThe NJSP have been buying a lot of Caprice PPVs.
Such purchases could ultimately turn out to be extremely foolish now that that particular platform is officially on death-row.  Unlike other police-packaged vehicles sold in the U.S. (& Canada); there's are a lot fewer examples around to use as parts-cars.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled New Jersey Turnpike thread; (hopefully) now already in progress.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 26, 2015, 12:30:07 PM
Quote from: signalman on May 23, 2015, 06:51:39 AMThe NJSP have been buying a lot of Caprice PPVs.
Such purchases could ultimately turn out to be extremely foolish now that that particular platform is officially on death-row.  Unlike other police-packaged vehicles sold in the U.S. (& Canada); there's are a lot fewer examples around to use as parts-cars.

Generally these vehicles are purchased as part of a large contract that went out to bid with specific specifications.  As long as the low bidder (or winning bidder) met all the qualifications of the bid specs, there's not much the NJSP could do about it.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 26, 2015, 12:53:52 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 26, 2015, 12:30:07 PM

Generally these vehicles are purchased as part of a large contract that went out to bid with specific specifications.  As long as the low bidder (or winning bidder) met all the qualifications of the bid specs, there's not much the NJSP could do about it.
While NJSP themselves may not be able to do anything about such; trust me when I say this... fingers will be pointed towards whoever picked/selected the winning bidder when the car and platform gets discontinued and replacement/repair parts (already rare with this particular model given its very limited availablility) become hard (and/or expensive) to find/obtain.  The car's basically becoming an orphan very soon.

Anyway, my primary reason for earlier commenting on the Caprice PPV's somewhat known limited availability stems from the fact that of all vehicles NJSP decided to chose and camouflage as conventional-looking retail vehicles while patrolling the Turnpike; the Caprice PPV is not the best choice for such for the reason(s) stated.  While there are retail Crown Vics, Explorers, Chargers, Impalas & Tahoes out there en masse (early on, people mistook my '97 Crown Vic as a cop car even though it clearly wasn't based on the packaging); there aren't any retail Holden-based Caprices out there (again, the SS is not the same exact model) to fool the (more savvy) motorist.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.