News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 28, 2014, 04:17:08 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2014, 09:15:32 AM
I'm curious what other folks prefer as to which lanes to use in that situation.

I generally drive in the "truck" lanes, because traffic seems to be lighter there, and the nutcase-type drivers are usually in the cars-only lanes.

I have also followed this logic.  My question -- one I've forgotten the answer to in my years away from regular turnpike use -- is whether cops are more prevalent in the car or truck lanes. 

Alps

What I've noticed is that most of the time, the car lanes have much less backup going into the 8A merge than the truck lanes. Probably because you have three car lanes and two truck lanes, but I've seen 4-mile backups on the Outer and maybe 1/3 mile on the Inner. That'll be rendered moot soon, so:
I vastly prefer the Inner lanes. I'm among the faster drivers in the traffic flow, and when you have a lot of trucks, the left lane becomes clogged with slower cars who are faster than the trucks but just not fast enough. The car lanes function more like the Garden State Parkway, and I'm much more in my element there. If I were a speed limit-type driver, the truck lanes would probably suit me better.

signalman

I also prefer the inner (cars only) lanes.  I tend to be one of the faster vehicles on the road, like Steve.  I have had similar experiences to him in the outer lanes.  In the outer carriageway I find myself doing a lot more lane changing and slalom course type driving.  While this can be fun at times, it gets old mile after mile and can be dangerous.

Another question...do folks here prefer the eastern or western spur?  Assuming one is going through and is not destined for an exit only accessible on one spur.  I prefer the eastern.  There tends to be less traffic, in my experience.  This is mostly due to how NJTA signs it.  The signs certainly encourage thru traffic to use the western spur.  They are almost misleading to make one think that they can't travel through on the eastern spur.

1995hoo

I used to prefer the Eastern Spur unless I were heading for the Meadowlands. However, the addition of ORT lanes on the Western Spur changed that. I'd rather use ORT lanes if available.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
I also prefer the inner (cars only) lanes.  I tend to be one of the faster vehicles on the road, like Steve.  I have had similar experiences to him in the outer lanes.  In the outer carriageway I find myself doing a lot more lane changing and slalom course type driving.  While this can be fun at times, it gets old mile after mile and can be dangerous.

Another question...do folks here prefer the eastern or western spur?  Assuming one is going through and is not destined for an exit only accessible on one spur.  I prefer the eastern.  There tends to be less traffic, in my experience.  This is mostly due to how NJTA signs it.  The signs certainly encourage thru traffic to use the western spur.  They are almost misleading to make one think that they can't travel through on the eastern spur.
The eastern spur is much better because it has six overall lanes its whole length as the western spur is four lanes north of Exit 16W.  I prefer it for the lack of changing lanes due to the fact most through motorists use the western spur.

I am glad that I am not the only one who prefers this spur.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 29, 2014, 01:22:29 PM
I used to prefer the Eastern Spur unless I were heading for the Meadowlands. However, the addition of ORT lanes on the Western Spur changed that. I'd rather use ORT lanes if available.
The addition of ORT might be a deciding factor today as to whether I'd use the eastern or western spur.  Although, I have no reason to use the turnpike north of 16W for any reason these days.  (I can use a number of interchanges to access or exit the turnpike...10, 11, 14, 15W or 16W)  I've only driven both spurs to the northern terminus for clinching purposes.  But back when I clinched the NJ Turnpike, ORT was not available yet, so my decision as to which spur I liked better simply boiled down to traffic (or lack there of).  When I do use the NJ Turnpike I'm headed south, or returning home from some point south, so I generally enter/exit at 10 or 11 to keep my toll as low as possible. 

vdeane

I've only been on the western; when I tried to clinch the eastern, it was closed, so the next time I'm going though there, I'm gonna do my darndest to take the eastern spur.

Are there any plans to widen the truck lanes between 8A and 9 to three lanes each way?  I don't think I was really looking when I was through there last year.

I prefer the car lanes since I like to fly by on the Turnpike at 75-80 mph, though if I go to NYC, I might take the truck lanes since my tires are wearing out and I don't trust my current car at those speeds (even 65 is iffy sometimes)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 06:04:36 PM
Are there any plans to widen the truck lanes between 8A and 9 to three lanes each way?  I don't think I was really looking when I was through there last year.
Yes.  I believe it's supposed to be 3x3x3x3 when the 6-9 widening project is complete.

Pete from Boston

The western alignment has historically been quick to back up at the 18W tolls.  It also sucks when people exit after a Giants game or during a Jets game. 

Alps

E vs. W: Depends on the exact time and date. Westerly Alignment (official name) is faster during rush hours, barring any major incidents, although it's not all THAT much faster because the 3-2 lane drop eats up capacity. Easterly is faster during event times, unless it's also a NYC peak (weekday AM/PM or weekend early afternoon). The only real way to know is to check real-time traffic reports.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2014, 06:39:56 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 06:04:36 PM
Yes.  I believe it's supposed to be 3x3x3x3 when the 6-9 widening project is complete.

The NB lanes were widened near the beginning of the project. The SB lanes were left at 2 lanes wide because it would only further congest the merge in a construction zone.

Which the project is complete, the entire dual-dual zone will be 3-3-3-3.

jeffandnicole

Some pics of the NJ Turnpike widening: These are all on or related to the Interchange 6 - PA Turnpike Extension (also but rarely known as the Pearl Harbor Memorial Turnpike Extension), plus some pictures near the Interchange 6 toll plaza area heading west towards PA.

Heading South, approaching Interchange 6.  What I noticed this time about this sign which I didn't notice before: '1 Mile'.  It seemed like an awfully short mile, so I measured it.  Sure enough...from this sign to the gore/take off point was barely 0.8 miles...and that's being generous. 

The takeoff point for Interchange 6, Inner Roadway.  The lane(s) are fully separated by the short skip lines...another MUTCD feature that the Turnpike is picking up.  Note the covered signage over the Outer Roadway to the right.

The Interchange 6 SB Inner Roadway ramp meets up with the Outer Roadway ramp to the right. (The ramp isn't as sharp as the picture makes it out to be)

The new VMS/CSLS that greets traffic on the Extension (like many of the new ones in/near the construction zone, the speed limit isn't generally displayed yet).

At the Interchange 6 Toll Plaza.  There's 1 Express Lane per direction.  What's interesting to note here is that lonely pole you can barely see on the jersey barrier which appears to disappear into the clouds (it's not that tall, I swear).  That used to have a "EZ Pass Speed Limit 45" sign. Then it was revised to "EZ Pass Speed Limit 55".  Now, the speed limits are missing completely, which I'm guessing makes the speed limit 65 mph thru the single express lane.  On a side note, technically, there was no speed limit posted at all on the extension...which for the NJ Turnpike isn't all that unusual.  As the older variable speed limit signs wore out, one could go many, many miles without seeing a speed limit at some times.

After the toll plaza, this variable message sign on the right displayed the time to PA Turnpike's US 13 Exit (3 Miles, 4 minutes). 

(Edited to use the correct term (Inner/Outer Roadway, not Inner/Outer Drive), and to fix the sizing of the pictures)

roadman

Thanks for sharing the photos.  Once again, the Turnpike Authority snubs their noses at the MUTCD (no separate exit tab - or even a divider separating the exit number from the rest of the sign, and exit number and distance to interchange on the same line).  I'd also be curious to know if the Authority plans to install a 2 mile advance sign (at least southbound) once the I-95 connection is opened.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Heading East on the PA Turnpike Extension towards the NJ Turnpike Northbound:

The new overhead sign for the NJ Turnpike Mainline North/South split.  Originally, the Southbound exit was going to split to the Inner & Outer Roadways, but they reduced it to just a ramp to the Outer Roadway (it's only about 3/4 mile before the carriageways merge).

The signage at the SB Exit.  On the left will be the first signs seen for the Northbound Inner/Outer Roadways.  The top of each of the 2 signs is a flip panel; the bottom is a VMS panel.  No clue what the wide covered sign at the top is going to say. 

Approaching the 2nd set of Inner/Outer Roadways signs.  Notice the rarely seen (on the NJ Turnpike) static Speed Limit 50 sign to the right. (Speed Limit 35 signs are also found on the roadways leading to/from a few of the Service Areas).  When finished, this area will be 3 lanes wide, Left & Center splitting left to the Inner Roadway, Center & Right to the Outer Roadway.

Approaching the NJ Turnpike Northbound Inner Roadway.

(Edited to use the correct term (Inner/Outer Roadway, not Inner/Outer Drive), and to fix the sizing of the pictures)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on April 16, 2014, 07:15:30 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos.  Once again, the Turnpike Authority snubs their noses at the MUTCD (no separate exit tab - or even a divider separating the exit number from the rest of the sign, and exit number and distance to interchange on the same line).  I'd also be curious to know if the Authority plans to install a 2 mile advance sign (at least southbound) once the I-95 connection is opened.

Since the Exit sign conformity requirement occurred after the designing of this widening project, the Turnpike was permitted to use their style signage.  Of course, they could've conformed if they wanted to...

The 2 Mile Ahead signs do exist for Interchange 6 in both directions.

roadman

QuoteSince the Exit sign conformity requirement occurred after the designing of this widening project

Funny - I thought it had been a requirement since the 1971 MUTCD.

QuoteThe 2 Mile Ahead signs do exist for Interchange 6 in both directions.

My bad - shows you how long it's been since I last drove the entire length of the NJ Pike.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2014, 11:19:21 AMThis is mostly due to how NJTA signs it.  The signs certainly encourage thru traffic to use the western spur.  They are almost misleading to make one think that they can't travel through on the eastern spur.

This is true. My only forays on the NJTP in that area have been southbound. I had to specifically ask how to access the eastern spur (which exit to take) because it's not signed on the overheads that both are through routes. I wanted to access I-280 for a clinch and needed to use the eastern spur to do so. Can't remember offhand how the exits are signed at the split but I think the eastern spur is signed as an exit for one of the tunnels into NYC.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

signalman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2014, 08:08:34 PM
Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2014, 11:19:21 AMThis is mostly due to how NJTA signs it.  The signs certainly encourage thru traffic to use the western spur.  They are almost misleading to make one think that they can't travel through on the eastern spur.

This is true. My only forays on the NJTP in that area have been southbound. I had to specifically ask how to access the eastern spur (which exit to take) because it's not signed on the overheads that both are through routes. I wanted to access I-280 for a clinch and needed to use the eastern spur to do so. Can't remember offhand how the exits are signed at the split but I think the eastern spur is signed as an exit for one of the tunnels into NYC.
Heading south the eastern spur is signed "To exit 17 Lincoln Tunnel"  I-95 nor the NJ Turnpike are mentioned at all.  Heading north, I-95 is mentioned for both spurs.

Galaxy S3

roadman65

If you are coming from I-80 and US 46 then the Eastern Spur is signed for the Turnpike while the Western Spur is signed for "TO Exit 16W Rutherford."

If I-95 is signed for both spurs going NB then it must be new as in the past it was always US 46 & I-80 for the Eastern Spur while I-95 got signed for the Western Spur only.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

I'll repeat - rerepeat, for that matter - that any sign associated with the 6-9 Widening was designed before the decision was made to comply. Slightly different wording than what Jeff said.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2014, 07:20:54 PM

The signage at the SB Exit.  On the left will be the first signs seen for the Northbound Inner/Outer drives.  The top of each of the 2 signs is a flip panel; the bottom is a VMS panel.  No clue what the wide covered sign at the top is going to say. 
My guess is "Roadway Divides 1000 Feet" (or whatever distance).

Finally... the correct terminology is Inner Roadway, Outer Roadway, Easterly Alignment (and Westerly).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2014, 10:38:59 PM
I'll repeat - rerepeat, for that matter - that any sign associated with the 6-9 Widening was designed before the decision was made to comply. Slightly different wording than what Jeff said.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2014, 07:20:54 PM

The signage at the SB Exit.  On the left will be the first signs seen for the Northbound Inner/Outer drives.  The top of each of the 2 signs is a flip panel; the bottom is a VMS panel.  No clue what the wide covered sign at the top is going to say. 
My guess is "Roadway Divides 1000 Feet" (or whatever distance).

Finally... the correct terminology is Inner Roadway, Outer Roadway, Easterly Alignment (and Westerly).

Thanks...I knew 'drive' wasn't right, but then started writing it and forgot about the true term. (I have now gone back and revised the terminology)

And just an FYI...The PA Turnpike Extension is generally referred to as the PHMTE by Turnpike people. 

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2014, 06:24:40 AM
The PA Turnpike Extension is generally referred to as the PHMTE by Turnpike people.

"Fimtee"?  :confused: :)

Looks like the NB outer drive isn't open yet.  Are both SB roadways open?

"Inner Drive" and "Outer Drive"?  "Eastern..." and "Western Alignment"?  Better tell the traffic team at WCBS-AM.  They tend to use "car lanes" and "truck lanes" (and "Eastern..." and "Western Spur").  BTW "Inner Drive" and "Outer Drive" sounds like KYW traffic reporters describing developments on Northeast Philly's Roosevelt Boulevard.

Thanks for the pics.  Now I know what to look for when I join a bus group for our trip to NYC next month (my first time anywhere on the NJ Tpk. in 3 years).

ixnay

Alps

Outer Roadway = truck lanes
Inner Roadway = car lanes
Easterly Alignment = Eastern Spur (even though it's not a spur, because it comes back)
W = W

Why? Same reason that US 1&9 through Newark is "US 1&9" and not Pulaski Skyway (which, technically, starts down by the airport). The public has their terminology, and that's what reporters use.

ixnay

How has access to the service plazas been affected during the Exit 6-9 widening project?  Did any of them close?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2014, 07:34:47 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2014, 06:24:40 AM
The PA Turnpike Extension is generally referred to as the PHMTE by Turnpike people.

"Fimtee"?  :confused: :)

Looks like the NB outer drive isn't open yet.  Are both SB roadways open?

"Inner Drive" and "Outer Drive"?  "Eastern..." and "Western Alignment"?  Better tell the traffic team at WCBS-AM.  They tend to use "car lanes" and "truck lanes" (and "Eastern..." and "Western Spur").  BTW "Inner Drive" and "Outer Drive" sounds like KYW traffic reporters describing developments on Northeast Philly's Roosevelt Boulevard".

Thanks for the pics.  Now I know what to look for when I join a bus group for our trip to NYC next month (my first time anywhere on the NJ Tpk. in 3 years).

ixnay

Yeah, they don't pronounce the PHMTE...they just say it or write it.

The actual Turnpike terms are rarely used outside of the Turnpike.  Most people know the lanes as the car lanes and truck lanes, and that's the everyday use you'll hear most often.  But since all traffic can always use the outer roadway when open and all traffic can use the inner roadway when the outer roadway is closed or has restricted access, I went with those terms for the updates above.  (Well, originally used the wrong terms (drive, not roadway), so I corrected them after the fact!)

On your bus trip next month: If you're coming from the south, the construction starts about 4 miles after Interchange 5. After that, for someone interested in construction, it's nearly 25 miles worth of eye candy.

Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2014, 08:00:11 AM
How has access to the service plazas been affected during the Exit 6-9 widening project?  Did any of them close?

ixnay

Everything remained open.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.