News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Too late. (DE 1/16 road me...
Last post by Rothman - May 18, 2024, 01:19:20 PM
Pfft.  I'm going to Shady Maple, anyway.
Sports / Re: Athletics President re: ke...
Last post by ZLoth - May 18, 2024, 01:15:50 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 17, 2024, 10:48:13 PMBesides, anyone playing for the Vegas team would become a local, one characteristic of which is a debilitating allergy to the Strip outside of work hours. (Seriously, I've been here for 4 months at this point, and stepped foot on the Strip all of once, and that was only because the Trop was closing and I wanted to see it off. Otherwise, the Strip is "that kind of annoyingly long light on Flamingo" to me.)

In 2015, I attended the Toastmasters Conference which was held at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas (located at 3570 S Las Vegas Blvd, Paradise, NV 89109). I arrived before the convention and saw David Copperfield, Blue Man Group, and Cirque du Solei as part of longer vacation. During that time, I spoke with some of the LV Toastmasters, and they told me that, unless they have business on the strip/LV, they actively avoid the area because of the congestion.

If the Athletics want to start playing in 2027 in LV, they have to start construction by next spring. If the current reports are correct, they are nowhere near that point in construction plans or funding.
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Too late. (DE 1/16 road me...
Last post by Alps - May 18, 2024, 12:59:20 PM
Sorry, I don't have enough time to put this together, so this meet isn't happening.
Off-Topic / Re: Audiobook or Old Time Radi...
Last post by ZLoth - May 18, 2024, 12:57:07 PM
For the Old TIme Radio, check out WOTR Radio Network and ABN Old Time Radio. Both are streaming old-time radio programming, and can be heard through mobile devices.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by ZLoth - May 18, 2024, 12:50:12 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 18, 2024, 12:35:32 PMYes, Zloth... indifferent contractors who don't care about your stuff or your opinion is the curse of renting.  And why should they?  The tenants don't pay their bills.

I was placing the blame squarely on the landlord/property manager/property management company. They are the ones who are hiring the contractor, not the renter vdeane, and probably the cheapest-possible contractor using the cheapest on-sale materials to perform the repairs with no input from the renter vdeane. From my experience, the cheapest route in the short term ends up being more expensive in the long run because the durability is terrible. You get what you pay for,
Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by kkt - May 18, 2024, 12:50:06 PM
Quote from: kurumi on May 08, 2024, 12:46:19 AMBack in the day, all we had was ":-)"

(some of the Japanese character emojis are explained here: http://www.kurumi.com/jp/2016/06/11/k-emoji.html)

You had ":-)"?  We had to make do with ": )"!  And we were glad to get it!
Last post by kkt - May 18, 2024, 12:35:32 PM
Yes, Zloth... indifferent contractors who don't care about your stuff or your opinion is the curse of renting.  And why should they?  The tenants don't pay their bills.
Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by MATraveler128 - May 18, 2024, 12:21:26 PM
Definitely 💩
Last post by ZLoth - May 18, 2024, 12:17:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2024, 11:23:25 PMFirefox.  I was going to switch to it as a result of my Chromium/Google/YouTube problems affecting Vivaldi, but that quickly collapsed.  First, it seems to consume more RAM than Vivaldi does.  It nearly locked up my computer after a couple hours streaming Paramount+ last night (to the point where I needed to unplug both Ethernet and my HDMI cable to the TV to regain control).  This in and of itself wasn't a showstopper, as I was running Vivaldi at the time as well and figured that having both open contributed.  However, my further difficulties that night quickly changed that assessment.

The technician in me is having me ask the following questions just to better understand your issue:
  • How old is that computer?
  • What operating system is that computer running?
  • What processor is it running?
  • How much memory (not storage space) does that computer have?

If you don't know the specifics, you can use CPU-Z to find that information out if you are using Windows. Although I can emphasize that as time goes on, software adds more and more features which in turn requires more memory and faster processors. Insert standard joke about having having 64GB of ram and now you can open up more than ten tabs under Chrome.

While I do have a computer hooked up to my television (it's a secondary computer), I'm kinda wondering... why not a dedicated TV stick such as a Fire TV stick, Roku stick, or a Onn TV box? In searching Amazon, the price of these devices are $20-$35, and a little lower if refurbished.

Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2024, 11:23:25 PMIn non-browser related stuff, my apartment's maintenance.  I called to report mildew on my bedroom ceiling shortly after the eclipse (unbeknownst to me, my upstairs neighbor got a mysterious leak near his sink around the same time).  They didn't bother to do anything until two weeks ago, after I reported that it worsened, and all they did was slap a new coat of paint on it (getting paint dust on all my furniture in the process).  Needless to say, this did not fix the problem.

Ugggg... being a renter (whether be an apartment or a home) can be a blessing or a curse. Depending on the availability of rentals, affordability of apartments, and/or the rent control situation, the landlord, property manager, and/or property management company can be an absolute tightwad about maintenance (because it involves spending money), and may be hoping that you move out because they have several people who would be more than willing to take that same rental unit at a higher rate despite the conditions. :banghead:

Having said that, I hope that you have taken photographs and documented everything including phone calls and emails exchanged. You might be able to bring that issue up to building inspection.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by Sub-Urbanite - May 18, 2024, 12:02:32 PM
NDOT posted the contract for the I-11 signing. A few notes:

1. There appears to be no "End 11" shield northbound past Kyle Canyon Road. There's a North 11/95 shield past the SR 157 onramp.

2. CONTROL CITIES GONE WILD. NDOT's ongoing cacophony of control cities for I-11 continues. Southbound, you'll find Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, Phoenix and Needles all listed on overhead signs. (Get a little further south, past this project, and Kingman is also a control city – 6 cities in a 40 mile stretch.) Northbound, Las Vegas, Tonopah and Reno all make appearances, sometimes in combination, sometimes on their own. (Ely also appears on some NB 93 signs.)

I don't necessarily blame NDOT, but the FHWA guidance to go to only one control city per sign when possible really screws things up, when clearly there is a need for 2 for most of southbound I-11 past downtown Las Vegas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.