News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^ Are you referring to off Exit 7 and the gas station that sat on the corner with Hwy 19?

Tomahawkin

No, its the US 43/278 Exit, if I'm not mistaking?

Tomahawkin

This has probably been mentioned but I would love to see IH 22 extended eastwards towards Macon. Have 22 run concurrent to Anniston then branch off in Anniston sE to near Macon and Go from there. It's a pipedream bet it keeps truck traffic and summer traffic out of The "A" (Atlanta) which needs as much help as possible keeping traffic out of the Area. Thoughts?

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on April 23, 2019, 11:20:13 PM
This has probably been mentioned but I would love to see IH 22 extended eastwards towards Macon. Have 22 run concurrent to Anniston then branch off in Anniston sE to near Macon and Go from there. It's a pipedream bet it keeps truck traffic and summer traffic out of The "A" (Atlanta) which needs as much help as possible keeping traffic out of the Area. Thoughts?

Unless the Macon "cutoff" diverges from I-20 east of the AL/GA state line, the likelihood of such a new-terrain routing is slim & none -- AL has made their disinterest in building any additional freeway corridors crystal clear.  And our Fictional section is full of SE I-22 extension concepts, most of them involving Columbus & Albany, with various further concepts aiming at -- variously -- Valdosta, Jacksonville, and Brunswick.  But getting AL involved without a policy sea change within that state won't advance beyond the "pipedream" stage. 

froggie

^^ Given that Alabama has all but given up on four already-officially-proposed Interstate-style corridors just in the past year, there's no way they're going to expend energy on an I-22 extension concept.

Tomahawkin

Both of those posts are informative. Which corridors has the state of Alabama shut down?

vdeane

Quote from: sparker on April 24, 2019, 02:56:20 AM
Unless the Macon "cutoff" diverges from I-20 east of the AL/GA state line, the likelihood of such a new-terrain routing is slim & none
And if it did diverge from I-20 in GA, it would make more sense to avoid the overlap and have it be an extension of I-16 anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on April 24, 2019, 01:03:57 PM
Quote from: sparker on April 24, 2019, 02:56:20 AM
Unless the Macon "cutoff" diverges from I-20 east of the AL/GA state line, the likelihood of such a new-terrain routing is slim & none
And if it did diverge from I-20 in GA, it would make more sense to avoid the overlap and have it be an extension of I-16 anyways.

Fully agree with the above observation.  Such a route, new-terrain or not, would provide a way for traffic to and from the Port of Savannah to bypass Atlanta -- always a good thing, in my book!
Quote from: Tomahawkin on April 24, 2019, 11:12:10 AM
Both of those posts are informative. Which corridors has the state of Alabama shut down?

The ones that had undergone actual planning are the proposed I-85 extension from Montgomery west along US 80 to I-20/59 near Cuba, just east of the MS state line, and an Interstate spur connector from Dothan south to the FL state line, which was planned to intersect I-10 near the US 231 interchange (and potentially extend further south to Panama City, FL).  Both were effectively cancelled by ALDOT last year.  Also, development of the Montgomery (AL 108) south bypass, which was slated to become the eastern end of the I-85 extension (and which would have entailed redesignating the in-town Montgomery I-85 segment as I-685) was indefinitely delayed.  With the completion of Huntsville upgrades to I-565 and connecting routes -- and the realignment of I-20/59 in downtown Birmingham, it appears that Alabama's freeway-building days have, at least for the present, come to an abrupt end. 

froggie

^^ ALDOT has ended the following:

- I-10 to Dothan connector
- Memphis-Huntsville-Alabama Interstate
- West Alabama Interstate (generally along the US 43 corridor)
- I-85 extension to I-20/59

Even within Birmingham, what had been officially proposed as an I-22 extension to I-20/59 in the vicinity of the airport has been cancelled due in large part to huge areas of ground pollution along the way (which would have to be remedied before construction could begin) and the added costs that would bring.

codyg1985

Technically, the Birmingham Northern Beltline is still ongoing, but it is moving at a pace that a snail could overtake.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
^^ ALDOT has ended the following:

- I-10 to Dothan connector
- Memphis-Huntsville-Alabama Interstate
- West Alabama Interstate (generally along the US 43 corridor)

Even within Birmingham, what had been officially proposed as an I-22 extension to I-20/59 in the vicinity of the airport has been cancelled due in large part to huge areas of ground pollution along the way (which would have to be remedied before construction could begin) and the added costs that would bring.

I didn't realize the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta concept was still an active proposal (although the federal HPC [#7] remains on the books -- those things will probably never disappear, just fade into oblivion!); the same goes for the N-S corridor more or less along US 43.  Since I-22 essentially performs the same regional task as the Huntsville corridor (without Huntsville, of course!), that corridor would have been back-burnered in any instance; ALDOT dropping any further planning efforts seems more a formality than a surprise.  And the lack of significant population centers along the N-S corridor likely doomed it from the beginning; essentially running out of steam in the Florence area rather than actually providing a useful I-65 regional relief route probably didn't help that particular cause. 

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
I really never saw a need for this, or if anything, why it would be needed on "new location" the entire 100+ miles.

The entire corridor is mostly 4-lane 65 MPH divided expressway. All that's really needed are seamless new-location freeway bypasses around Demopolis, Uniontown, Selma, and from the proposed southern junction of the Montgomery Bypass to west of the Montgomery Regional Airport area. Maybe 20 - 30 miles of new location freeway total. That could essentially provide 100+ miles of non-stop 65 MPH roadway.

And if an interstate was warranted, a majority of the existing rural segments of US-80 could be upgraded to interstate standards as opposed to new location.

Voyager75

With the indefinite delay of the I-85 extension(which I thought was pointless), the massive AL 108 interchange and freeway spur to little used AL 110 will continue to serve the towns of Cecil, Fitzpatrick and Union Springs well...

If it had only gotten a I-designation, Alabama could claim that they had the most worthless Interstate over Illinois' I-180

iPad

sprjus4

Quote from: Voyager75 on April 24, 2019, 10:41:47 PM
With the indefinite delay of the I-85 extension(which I thought was pointless), the massive AL 108 interchange and freeway spur to little used AL 110 will continue to serve the towns of Cecil, Fitzpatrick and Union Springs well...

If it had only gotten a I-designation, Alabama could claim that they had the most worthless Interstate over Illinois' I-180

iPad
The portion down back to Hope Hull can still be built, then continue west of I-65 to meet US-80 west of the Montgomery Regional Airport. There's a lot of traffic that goes between I-85 South to I-65 South and vice versa, and would really benefit from a bypass of Montgomery. The portion west of I-65 would be used for US-80 traffic, bypassing a signalized and developed area near the airport.

While I-85 west of I-65 will not be built, seamless town bypass freeways should still be constructed (including a bypass of the Montgomery Regional Airport area) and in conjunction with the existing 65 MPH divided expressway in the rural areas, could provide a continuous non-stop 65 MPH expressway between I-65 / I-85 and I-20 / I-59. It wouldn't be interstate standards obviously with having connecting driveways, intersections, etc, but would provide interstate speeds and non-stop travel. It would accomplish everything an I-85 extension would, except it would be way cheaper and make use of existing 65 MPH rural expressway instead of paralleling that with 70 MPH interstate highway.

roadman65

Why is Exit 53 unsigned?  I noticed it has no guides.  Just an empty diamond ramp that leads to a connector to AL 118 (Old US 78).

Also the original end of the freeway at US 78 is still got Birmingham as a control city, as they forgot to update the signs when the final leg was completed to I-65.  Also US 78 is signed even where it is not US 78, and in Marion County at some interchanges near Hamilton, I-22 is not even mentioned at the entrance ramps.

Nice drive.  No development  in AL which I think is cool.  You still have Hamilton and Jasper a few miles drive off the freeway that provide the gas food and lodging, and you have Fulton, Tupelo, New Albany, and Holly Oak in MS if you need stuff as MS is not that undeveloped as AL is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

codyg1985

Exit 53 was at one time supposed to be a connection to AL 102, but that connection never got built.
Cody Goodman

formulanone

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 24, 2019, 02:26:48 PM
Technically, the Birmingham Northern Beltline is still ongoing, but it is moving at a pace that a snail could overtake.

Based on the speed of a snail being roughly 0.02 mph, that means it could complete the Northern Beltline's 52.5 miles in 109 days. Given needed rest and meals, I'll double it to 220 days. If it was really motivated, it could clinch it twice in a year, so it would complete 28 round trips in the time it will take to compete I-422, if it ever happens, never mind that it probably doesn't even live that long.

My money's on the snail, though I have to go to Tennessee to make the wager.

The Ghostbuster

The first segment of the Birmingham Northern Beltway (between AL 75 and AL 79) was supposed to be completed by the fall of 2016, but looking at the Street View images of AL 75 and AL 79 where the BNB would cross those two highways, I'd say the project to complete that 1.34-mile segment has gone dormant.

codyg1985

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 21, 2019, 02:27:12 PM
The first segment of the Birmingham Northern Beltway (between AL 75 and AL 79) was supposed to be completed by the fall of 2016, but looking at the Street View images of AL 75 and AL 79 where the BNB would cross those two highways, I'd say the project to complete that 1.34-mile segment has gone dormant.

Supposedly within the next year or so work to build bridges between Al 75 and AL 79 is supposed to start. No word on when pavement will be put down.
Cody Goodman

froggie

Quote from: The GhostbusterThe first segment of the Birmingham Northern Beltway (between AL 75 and AL 79) was supposed to be completed by the fall of 2016

That project was grading only.

The Ghostbuster

Grading only? I had the impression (apparently mistaken) that all work to complete and open that stretch of the BNB would be completed by fall 2016. At any rate, even when that 1.34-mile segment is fully completed, it will likely be a useless, very underutilized spur until more of the BNB is completed and opened to traffic further west, as well as further east.

sparker

I wonder if this isolated section will get some sort of signage upon completion; it's very unlikely that I-422 shields will go up for this nascent segment.  Perhaps the old "AL 959" will be applied; I wouldn't even go that far -- prefer signing it as "TO AL 75" or "TO AL 79" in the opposite direction, at least until connecting segments are developed.

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on October 22, 2019, 05:31:56 PM
I wonder if this isolated section will get some sort of signage upon completion; it's very unlikely that I-422 shields will go up for this nascent segment.  Perhaps the old "AL 959" will be applied; I wouldn't even go that far -- prefer signing it as "TO AL 75" or "TO AL 79" in the opposite direction, at least until connecting segments are developed.
It would be impossible for blue-and-red shields to go up - it doesn't connect to another interstate highway segment.

The I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway project in North Carolina is being signed as NC-74 as it opens in segments. It won't be renamed I-74 until the entire beltway (eastern beltway that is, there's also the proposed western I-274 beltway) is completed.

NE2

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 22, 2019, 05:43:40 PM
It would be impossible for blue-and-red shields to go up - it doesn't connect to another interstate highway segment.
Neither did I-22.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 22, 2019, 02:06:35 PM
Grading only? I had the impression (apparently mistaken) that all work to complete and open that stretch of the BNB would be completed by fall 2016. At any rate, even when that 1.34-mile segment is fully completed, it will likely be a useless, very underutilized spur until more of the BNB is completed and opened to traffic further west, as well as further east.

The contract specifically excluded paving.  It's fairly common in the Deep South to have grading and bridges as one contract, then paving as a second contract upon completion of the first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.