Cities removed from guide signs in Wisconsin

Started by peterj920, May 06, 2016, 10:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Does anyone know if there is a WISDOT policy of removing unincorporated communities from directional guide signs?  I'm noticing that a lot of those communities are being removed when new signs replace the old ones.  I drove on US 10 between Appleton and Manitowoc.  Noticed that there were signs for Wayside and Taus, but they were omitted when the signs were replaced and the Maple Grove sign was not replaced, indicating that the sign will probably be removed and not replaced when it wears further.

On Wis 57, there were signs for Menchalville and Kellnersville, Brant, and Brillion that were removed.  Brillion is my hometown, but I am very puzzled why Brillion, a city of over 3000 was omitted but Potter, a small village of just over 200 was the lone community that remained on the new guide sign for County PP.  I also noticed on Wis 67 that there was a sign for Steinthal, but that was removed and not replaced.

Was also strange that from I-43 at the US 10 west exit, Brillion was removed and Reedsville remained, despite the fact that Brillion is almost 3 times the size of Reedsville and is home to way more businesses and would be considered more of a destination than Reedsville. 

Does anyone know of some strange new policy that tries to omit communities from new signs or does anyone know how WISDOT chooses cities to place on signs? 

mgk920

One that drives me batty is that 'Oshkosh' and 'Waupun' are no longer controls for WI 26 on I-41 in Oshkosh and US 151 in and near Waupun.  Its control is now 'Rosendale'.

:banghead:

Mike

GeekJedi

That's because they don't want you using WI-26 as a through route between Oshkosh and Waupun. They want you to take I-41 and US 151
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on May 07, 2016, 01:38:02 PM
That's because they don't want you using WI-26 as a through route between Oshkosh and Waupun. They want you to take I-41 and US 151
No kidding, I kinda feel bad for that small town when all the Packer fans drive up from Madison and points southwest (of Waupun) to Lambeau clog up their lone traffic light at WIS-23.  Why?  It's a direct route!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

US-151 doesn't take that much longer really.  And when traffic is bad, like on Packer days, I would rather free flow for a couple minutes more versus sitting at that light. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2016, 05:57:31 AM
No kidding, I kinda feel bad for that small town when all the Packer fans drive up from Madison and points southwest (of Waupun) to Lambeau clog up their lone traffic light at WIS-23.  Why?  It's a direct route!

Which is true, but the local businesses probably enjoyed the extra boost those fans likely provided.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dzlsabe

Guide signs? Is Eau Claire still on the map? That town used to be on a passenger rail map. It should be again. Madison too.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Right on Red

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 08, 2016, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2016, 05:57:31 AM
No kidding, I kinda feel bad for that small town when all the Packer fans drive up from Madison and points southwest (of Waupun) to Lambeau clog up their lone traffic light at WIS-23.  Why?  It's a direc t route!

Which is true, but the local businesses probably enjoyed the extra boost those fans likely provided.

Including Rosendale's biggest business: speed traps. :biggrin:

SSOWorld

Speed Traps will not be making profits when traffic's heavy. ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.