News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CR J2/El Camino Viejo over Corral Hollow Pass

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 17, 2019, 01:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

While out in Livermore today I drove over Corral Hollow Pass which was part of the El Camino Viejo (Old Los Angeles Road) and is presently part of CR J2.  Kind of interesting to see that the oldest pass in the area was pretty high by Diablo Range standards at about 1,600 feet.  There are two ghost towns located on J2 near Corral Hollow Pass; Tesla and Carniege.  I didn't drive the entirety of J2 but it was nice to expand some of the El Camino Viejo stuff I've already gathered from the Ridge Route project.  More to come in blog form but the photos are ready to go:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBGMvrv

bing101

Avalanchez71

Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Finished my blog post on CR J2.  The route over Corral Hollow Pass presently occupied by Signed County Route J2 is one of the oldest in California as it was a segment of Spanish El Camino Viejo.  El Camino Viejo utilized Corral Hollow Canyon and Corral Hollow Pass to cross the Diablo Range.  Unlike much of the rest of El Camino Viejo the route over Corral Hollow Pass stayed in use during the American period in California history.  Corral Hollow Canyon was the site of of coal mining ghost town of known as Tesla and a company town known as Carnegie was located to the east.  The Alameda and San Joaquin Railroad was routed from Tesla east to Carbona until floods in 1911 wiped out pretty much everything on Corral Hollow Creek.  Despite the corridor over Corral Hollow Pass having a length history there is large much indication today of what used to be present.  Nonetheless the 1,600 foot Corral Hollow Pass is a highly scenic alternate to I-580 over New Altamont Pass.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/03/signed-county-j2-over-corral-hollow.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.