AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans  (Read 57375 times)

zzcarp

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:10:00 PM
Re: Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »

I crossed the Canadian border at Sault Ste Marie on Saturday just after 5 pm. There was no traffic on the bridge itself heading into Canada, and I only passed a car and a semi heading to the States. The inspection station had two bays open, one occupied by a semi truck and one with a van that pulled out right when I passed the bridge abutment. There was a handwritten sign at the "proceed when bay is clear" sign stating masks required beyond this point.

The border agent was super friendly as well.  I had a few more questions than some others have relayed-my 78-year-old dad is at the cabin, so he's a "vulnerable person" in Canadian parlance. That said, I had a letter from him stating he was fine with me being there and a copy of his vax card which seemed to answer all the questions. Also funny was that I was wearing my sunglasses and a mask, and she asked me to remove my glasses and not my mask to check my identity versus my passport.

What was NOT smooth was getting my negative COVID test results. I took a COVID PCR test around 4:30 pm Wednesday at my local Walgreens in Westminster, Colorado. The websites of both labs that Walgreens uses to process the tests at that time stated there was about a 24 turnaround after receipt. Walgreens told me they were overnighting the shipment. In my mind, I'd receive the test results well within the required 72 hour timeframe. Friday night comes around after a long day of driving, and I'm staying in Menominee, Wisconsin just off I-94. The lab still "hadn't received" my test results. In fact, they were not "received" until Sunday per the website, and, as of noon Mountain time today, I still have not received the email with the test results.

I did some googling and found some same-day PCR tests for traveling. The only one in the Sault was open weekdays only and it was a Saturday. There was one at the Minneapolis airport, but I would have had to wait until 4:30 pm Central to get my results. And then I found Welltopia in Thiensville, Wisconsin. They had $199 appointments starting at 9:25 am. Waze said I'd be there about 9:10 so I booked the appointment. I took WI 29 east to I-39/US 51 South to US 10 east to US 45 south to I/US 41 south almost to Milwaukee and cut across WI 167 over to Thiensville. It was a quick appointment at this mom and pop pharmacy with friendly staff-the lady even played with my dog while I was filling out paperwork-and we were back on the road around 10 am central time, taking I-43 north back to US 41 where I resumed my normal routing. I had my negative results emailed to me in just over an hour. All-in-all, it cost me a total of 200 miles and 4 hours including stops, and I was able to cross the border that day and get to the cottage around dusk.
So many miles and so many roads

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »

It just doesn't make any sense.  Closing borders when Covid was isolated to certain areas was one thing.  It's everywhere now and the only way you'll have major impacts (probabilistically) is to be unvaccinated.  Australia did a great job for so long isolating itself, but as soon as some got in, since they didn't get an early vaccine rollout, now they have some problems.  There's already Covid (and Delta specifically) in the U.S and likewise Canada.  Keeping the border closed is kind of ridiculous and doesn't follow the science at all.

Chris

kalvado

« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »

It just doesn't make any sense.  Closing borders when Covid was isolated to certain areas was one thing.  It's everywhere now and the only way you'll have major impacts (probabilistically) is to be unvaccinated.  Australia did a great job for so long isolating itself, but as soon as some got in, since they didn't get an early vaccine rollout, now they have some problems.  There's already Covid (and Delta specifically) in the U.S and likewise Canada.  Keeping the border closed is kind of ridiculous and doesn't follow the science at all.

Chris
Putting myself at risk of being nicked for politics, I suspect this may have something to do with it:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/20/us-begins-deportation-flights-haitians-texas-border-town
Using covid-related emergency order would be problematic with open borders.

Rothman

« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »

Chris
Putting myself at risk of being nicked for politics, I suspect this may have something to do with it:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/20/us-begins-deportation-flights-haitians-texas-border-town
I don't see how one is related to the other.  Letting vaccinated, documented Canadians in is a small task compared with undocumented people entering illegally.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AsphaltPlanet

• Bagel Technician - H&H Bagel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:27:06 PM
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »

That's too bad the land border didn't open.  I'm not surprised, but it is annoying, I had hoped to drive south while the weather was still decent.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

JayhawkCO

« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2021, 11:53:24 AM »

Chris
I don't see how one is related to the other.  Letting vaccinated, documented Canadians in is a small task compared with undocumented people entering illegally.

Agreed.  I'd call this one apples and oranges.  A vaccinated Canadian is of far less risk travelling around in the U.S. than an unvaccinated American.

Chris

kalvado

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »

Chris

Agreed.  I'd call this one apples and oranges.  A vaccinated Canadian is of far less risk travelling around in the U.S. than an unvaccinated American.

Chris
Those expedite deportations are done under emergency health order, assuming other side of the border has all the infection in the world waiting to cross. Once you allow general public to cross the border, it becomes much harder to justify emergency against some gorups but not others

zzcarp

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:10:00 PM
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »

Chris

Science has never had anything to do with the measures implemented as a response to COVID. It's been all knee-jerk all the time.

That's too bad the land border didn't open.  I'm not surprised, but it is annoying, I had hoped to drive south while the weather was still decent.

I'm sorry our government is being so xenophobic against our northern friends. I hope someone with political clout pushes the administration to change this entirely incorrect and disgusting policy.
So many miles and so many roads

JayhawkCO

« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »

Chris

Science has never had anything to do with the measures implemented as a response to COVID. It's been all knee-jerk all the time.

Trust me, I get it.  It's why I have a new career since I got furloughed twice from my food and beverage director position despite the amount of infections revolving around restaurants being very small.

Chris

AsphaltPlanet

• Bagel Technician - H&H Bagel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:27:06 PM
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2021, 12:56:36 PM »

Covid has been an upsetting time.  The 1918 pandemic didn't last forever, and this won't either.  I'm still hopeful that covid will be sooner rather than later, call me an optimist but it does seem that progress is (slowly) moving in the right direction.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

stevashe

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »

That article about border closure being extended to October 21 is only one of the announcements today, however. The Biden Admin. also announced that restrictions for travelers from all countries would be eased in early November, with with proof of vaccination required to enter the country. The article talks about flights, but presumably the land borders would open with similar policies at the same time. I continue to maintain that we lagged behind in getting our borders open because of a combination of our unfortunately low vaccination rate, the wave of infections from the Delta Variant, and the need to get a system in place to verify vaccination status. It is very clear that Canada was way ahead of us on that last one.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-administration-ease-restrictions-travelers-us-november/story?id=80125593

Also, pending the results of today's election, Canada's border could be closed again soon as the main opposition candidate has pledged to close to border. Luckily, it does appear more likely that the current Government will remain in power, but we will see.

TXtoNJ

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:54:44 PM
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »

Chris

Optics. The southern border is incredibly politicized. Keeping that one closed (while there's a ton of attention on it), while opening the northern border, opens the current administration to accusations of racist policy.

Not saying it's right or it makes sense, just that it's the environment we're in.

Rothman

« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »

Chris

Optics. The southern border is incredibly politicized. Keeping that one closed (while there's a ton of attention on it), while opening the northern border, opens the current administration to accusations of racist policy.

Not saying it's right or it makes sense, just that it's the environment we're in.
Right.  The idiocracy continues.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »

I entered Canada and Wednesday and got the full experience: 30 minutes of questioning, watching my car get torn apart for drugs (none found, of course), and then handed a COVID self-test kit because I was one of the unlucky travelers who would need to take an extra test. It took forever to find a FedEx in suburban Vancouver that would take the test for shipping, since it was a biohazard.

TXtoNJ

« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »

I entered Canada and Wednesday and got the full experience: 30 minutes of questioning, watching my car get torn apart for drugs (none found, of course), and then handed a COVID self-test kit because I was one of the unlucky travelers who would need to take an extra test. It took forever to find a FedEx in suburban Vancouver that would take the test for shipping, since it was a biohazard.

You're supposed to go through Purolator.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »

You're supposed to go through Purolator.

The handout I got said to use a FedEx approved shipper but provided no information beyond that. Considering there's only one Purolator in all of Langley, BC, and it has limited hours, it would have been a bad move.

Rothman

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »

I'm now in college, which is 300 km away from home, which means that if I wanted to cross the border, it'll be a different crossing than what I would be crossing at home. I'm quite curious how it is on this part of the border compared to busy Niagara Falls crossings. I also would like to visit some new places I never have been. (the town across this border is Watertown, NY) I'd also like to clinch some new roads lol. I had planned to make a trip over the border some time, but the border is still closed. :/

7/8

• Civil Engineer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:17:48 PM
« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:06 PM »

The US border is opening on Nov. 8 for fully vaccinated travellers! No COVID test required upon entry at land borders, but they'll still be required for entering the US via plane.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-canada-border-november-8-1.6212093

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »

YAY!!!!

TXtoNJ

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2021, 04:13:25 PM »

For now it sounds like you will need a test to return to Canada, though.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2021, 10:22:52 PM »

For now it sounds like you will need a test to return to Canada, though.

I gotta hope they'll let Canadians do the rapid test on the other side of the border (the one used for random testing, I believe).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.