AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-Pass timelag  (Read 4817 times)

Badger39

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:08:54 AM
I-Pass timelag
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:12:23 AM »

I know when I travel from Illinois to Indiana both the Chicago Skyway and Indiana Toll Road toll charges show up on the I-Pass site a day or two later than the Illinois charges.  My question - if I'm close to the autoreplenish amount in Illinois, do I need to manually load an amount a few days ahead of time so I can get through Indiana and other EZ Pass toll roads beyond with no problems?

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
Re: I-Pass timelag
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »

What would the problem be if you don't?

Badger39

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:08:54 AM
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:44:40 AM »

Let's say I start a trip with $15 my account.  By the time I get to the Chicago Skyway I'm below $10 and the account replenishes to $50.  I continue driving and now incur over $10 going through Indiana.  Do the Indiana toll booths think I have $15, $9, or $50 in my account?  The problem is magnified if I continue to the Ohio Turnpike, Pennsylvania Turnpike, New York Turnpike, and/or New Jersey Turnpike.

The other possibility is that the toll booths don't know my account balances and just submit a bill to Illinois I-Pass.  In that case, I would have the tolls covered.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:48:40 AM by Badger39 »

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »

The Skyway and the ITR have barriers at all of the lanes at each toll plaza, and they won't open if your I-Pass has a negative balance.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »

I don’t know if they still do, but ISTHA used to recommend putting additional $$$ in the I-Pass account if you are taking an East Coast Road Trip

I think the delay occurs with any foreign agency - ITR, OTC, PTC, Maryland ICC, NJTP, etc

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

The Skyway and the ITR have barriers at all of the lanes at each toll plaza, and they won't open if your I-Pass has a negative balance.

Gotcha. 

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 01:43:42 PM »

Completely different state, but I ran into red on my NY thruway E-ZPass on Thruway once or twice Nothing special  happened, autoreplenish fired up later in the day, everything went smoothly.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 04:23:16 PM »

Wow.  Around here, it's only an issue if one doesn't have automatic replenishment set up.  If you do, nobody cares.

I'm not sure that places outside of Illinois would know your current balance, but I am certain that they won't know about charges not yet posted to your account - they'll only know about the current account balance.  The real danger would be the window of time between those charges processing and when the credit card gets billed to replenish the account.  E-ZPass doesn't have a uniform system - it's really just a bunch of different tags with (mostly) common branding that are all interoperable with each other and a centralized hub for coordinating everything, so an agency outside of Illinois wouldn't have direct access to your I-Pass account.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »

I've done east coast road trips many times with the pass - the latest 3 I did not manually load funds, the autoreplenish took in when it went low.  Even with Maryland lagging bad (worse of them all)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:55:00 PM »

NYSTA autoreplenish means just that:  If you go into the red, it triggers an autoreplenish, no penalty applied.

That said, they will up your autoreplenishment amount due to heavy usage ($20 to $30 or more).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »

Mine auto-replenishes when I hit $10 in the account left
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »

Likewise for me as well.  Then there’s goes up by $40 each time so I don’t have to worry about it for a bit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mvak36

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:22:01 PM
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »

Yeah same here for me. I've never had any issues.

The only reason I might go and add money to the account ahead of time is if I know I will be driving on something like those expensive bridges around NYC. I've never driven them but I would guess those are the most expensive tolls you would find on the EZPass system.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 03:48:21 PM »

Yeah I guess if you know it would auto replenish anyway, you may as well pre-load. 

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 04:37:09 PM »

The only reason I might go and add money to the account ahead of time is if I know I will be driving on something like those expensive bridges around NYC. I've never driven them but I would guess those are the most expensive tolls you would find on the EZPass system.
There is an ezpass plus option to pay for parking, and bills can be significant. I believe I used it once, but for the pretty low charge.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/plus.shtml
. Parking fees of $20 or greater will be charged directly to the credit card used to replenish your account.

mvak36

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 05:28:17 PM »

There is an ezpass plus option to pay for parking, and bills can be significant. I believe I used it once, but for the pretty low charge.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/plus.shtml
. Parking fees of $20 or greater will be charged directly to the credit card used to replenish your account.

That's interesting. Not that I would ever use it, but is that option only for NJ and NY EZpass or does it work for transponders from other states?

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 12:24:34 AM
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 06:09:45 PM »

I have an I-Pass, and in 2017 I took a lengthy road trip that involved travel on the Illinois Tollway (limited, I think, to the I-80/I-294 barrier toll at Hazel Crest), the New York Thruway, and the Ohio Turnpike.  My Tollway account auto-replenished at least once (I have set a $10 threshold and $10 top-up each time) and, AFAIK, never once went into the red.

I will say, however, that I have seen yellow at the blue/yellow lights on the Tollway at times when my account was nowhere near the auto-replenish threshold.  This has never resulted in a video toll, however.  I suspect the equipment is highly reliable but not 100% glitch-free.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »

Even with Maryland lagging bad (worse of them all)

This has been a thing ever since MDTA changed vendors and replaced the ezpassmd.com website with driveezmd.com back in April, and it really irks me (maybe I should post about it in "minor things that bother you" :-D).  In-state MD tolls used to almost always post same day on the old website, but for example my most recent Tydings Bridge crossing took 10 days to post (and currently waiting on 2 Bay Bridge crossings from the past 2 weekends).

I had been curious if the lag also affected out-of-state E-ZPass (or I-Pass, in this case) accounts - hopefully processing times will speed back up at some point.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »

The lag certainly does effect out of state tags in MD. Looks like my Bay Bridge crossing in April is free since that never posted.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »

The lag certainly does effect out of state tags in MD. Looks like my Bay Bridge crossing in April is free since that never posted.
which direction did you go? If you went west it's free.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

FightingIrish

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:38:10 PM
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »

I don't have an IPass, but I drove on the Tollway from Wisconsin to the Edens, then back later in the day. No gates, no cash on the road - only IPass and plate readers. Upon my return to Milwaukee later in the evening, I set up an account on the Tollway web page and registered my plates and a debit card, to avoid any hassles. The $9 for the round trip was billed and taken out a week later. Pretty simple.

captkirk_4

• Last Login: August 03, 2023, 05:19:29 PM
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »

I wonder if I pass works on the Kansas Turnpike, I 70 has a small stretch from Topeka to KC that is a tollroad where you take a card at the gate. I had to get an I pass for that short bit of I 80 in the south suburbs that the used covid as an excuse to get rid of tollbooths.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 11:44:19 AM »

I have an I-Pass, and in 2017 I took a lengthy road trip that involved travel on the Illinois Tollway (limited, I think, to the I-80/I-294 barrier toll at Hazel Crest), the New York Thruway, and the Ohio Turnpike.  My Tollway account auto-replenished at least once (I have set a $10 threshold and $10 top-up each time) and, AFAIK, never once went into the red.

I will say, however, that I have seen yellow at the blue/yellow lights on the Tollway at times when my account was nowhere near the auto-replenish threshold.  This has never resulted in a video toll, however.  I suspect the equipment is highly reliable but not 100% glitch-free.

While this isn't directly applicable to your situation, it seems to me that they changed the duration the various lights are illuminated within the past year. It used to be about a full second, enough at least where I could see the lights from my rear view mirror as I passed by. Now, it's a quarter second at the most, and if you blink, you'll miss it. I wonder if it's now more for the cameras at the booths than anything else.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mvak36

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »

I wonder if I pass works on the Kansas Turnpike, I 70 has a small stretch from Topeka to KC that is a tollroad where you take a card at the gate. I had to get an I pass for that short bit of I 80 in the south suburbs that the used covid as an excuse to get rid of tollbooths.

I don't think it does. KTAG/Pikepass/Texas system are interoperable but not I-Pass.

They're also converting to AET over the next few years so those credit card readers at the gates might be gone after that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.