Why don't option lane BGSs look like this???

Started by SoDakInterstateEnthusiast, September 14, 2023, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 19, 2023, 01:07:44 PM
Plus, it's on a freeway so the idea that the sign might indicate there is only one thru lane would be ludicrous and therefore doesn't even occur to me.

Interesting thought, now.  Are there any examples of where the through-freeway narrows to one lane, but the exiting movement at that point has an option lane?

I can think of examples where the through-freeway narrows to one lane, but only where the exiting movement is also a single lane.

:hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
Plus, it's on a freeway so the idea that the sign might indicate there is only one thru lane would be ludicrous and therefore doesn't even occur to me.

Interesting thought, now.  Are there any examples of where the through-freeway narrows to one lane, but the exiting movement at that point has an option lane?

If so, either the thru freeway is already one lane at that point or there will be Lane Ends signage separate from the exit signage.

CovalenceSTU

I-278 at the I-95 interchange used to be exactly that - it's still I-278 until it merges with 1-9 but until 5 years ago, there was only a single option lane to stay on it.

Although I agree there's no confusion normally about the thru freeway only having one lane, especially if the arrows are over the lanes as intended.

Daniellemil

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on September 19, 2023, 08:09:50 PM
Plus, it's on a freeway so the idea that the sign might indicate there is only one here thru lane would be ludicrous and therefore doesn't even occur to me.

I-278 at the I-95 interchange used to be exactly that - it's still I-278 until it merges with 1-9 but until 5 years ago, there was only a single option lane to stay on it.

Although I agree there's no confusion normally about the thru freeway only having one lane, especially if the arrows are over the lanes as intended.
I agree that confusion is very rare! But there are exceptions to the rules!

Tom958

I wish I'd seen this when it was current. This is one of my favorite topics. First, I uploaded this snippet from the 2009 MUTCD six years ago:

In my own state of Georgia, DOT started implementing the 2009 scheme in 2014 or so, though with some major and rather inexplicable exceptions:

In 2017, four signs on the Downtown Connector that had been replaced with 2009 MUTCD-compliant signage were modified to reintroduce the pre-2009 two-color scheme on the signs at the gore, though the option lanes were still hidden per the 2009 MUTCD upstream from there. This was done at the same time as three noncompliant APLs were brought into compliance.* Two years later, two of them were changed back to the complaint scheme when John Lewis's name was appended to Freedom Parkway. Apparently, the designer didn't get the memo that Figure 2E-11 in the 2009 MUTCD didn't apply on the Downtown Connector.

*Two of those APLs were made compliant by changing the lane striping to reintroduce option lanes that had been done away with decades earlier. On one, this was done only days after repaving, requiring brand-new pavement markings to be scraped up and reapplied. Whatever was done, it was apparently done in a panic.

In late 2017-early 2018, a huge signage replacement project from Jimmy Carter Boulevard to I-985 followed the same scheme as on the Downtown Connector: two-color at the splits, hidden option lane upstream. That's nine noncompliant signs if I'm counting correctly including replacement of this compliant but hideous sign installed as part of an earlier project.

In 2019, we got this mess involving three signs. After I brought it to GDOT's attention, I was told that the designer of these signs no longer worked there-- as if this was one person's fault.  :spin:

And finally so far, we have this, which went up in mid January of 2024. This would've been a good place for Georgia's first partial APL, but, alas, no.

Rothman

I loathe exit only signage over option lanes.  I don't care if it's MUTCD compliant; I hate it.  "EXIT ONLY" should mean that if you're in that lane, there's no way out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Tom958

Quote from: Rothman on Today at 11:19:32 AMI loathe exit only signage over option lanes.  I don't care if it's MUTCD compliant; I hate it.  "EXIT ONLY" should mean that if you're in that lane, there's no way out.

The EXIT ONLY in the example above is in fact over the dropped lane. The white arrow is over the option lane. The lane at right is a merge lane that ends beyond the curve-- you can see the RIGHT LANE ENDS yellow diamond on the right shoulder. Hopefully, GDOT will remember to use the proper striping when it's repaved in the near future. As it stands now, it's really confusing since there are so many instances on this part of 285 where auxiliary lanes extend from onramp to offramp.

Since you mentioned the problem in general, though, GDOT is really bad about locating the gore sign upstream from the theoretical gore, thus placing the left black arrow unambiguously over the option lane. This is one of many examples. To add insult to injury, the gantry here is new so it could've been installed at the correct location, but instead they located it immediately behind the previous gantry. Wait: I'm wrong! On this one, they put the new gantry in front of the old one! WTF. GDOT?

epzik8

Quote from: Tom958 on Today at 10:59:42 AMAfter I brought it to GDOT's attention, I was told that the designer of these signs no longer worked there-- as if this was one person's fault.  :spin:

Well, imagine that.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.