News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How does a 32 CAL postmile make sense?

Started by NE2, March 24, 2018, 01:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

There are several of these on Sheep Ranch Road between Murphys and the wye at Avery Sheep Ranch Road. This looks like a potential old alignment of SR 4 but I don't think it ever was a state highway. Neither pre-1964 LR 32 (now SR 152) nor current SR 32 go anywhere near Calaveras County. So why were 32 CAL postmiles created?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

I thought these were common in Calaveras County?  Doesn't the county have a series of postmiled roadways with route numbers?   I know there is a similar marker on Signed County Route E15:

https://www.cahighways.org/041-048.html#048

NE2

That would be why...I didn't realize Calaveras made their own.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on March 24, 2018, 04:27:34 AM

There are a couple other counties that also Postmile all their roads.  San Benito County comes to mind as an example close by.  Calaveras County essentially copies the postmile design of Caltrans, I'm not sure if other counties that postmile their roads do the same. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2018, 02:34:57 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 24, 2018, 04:27:34 AM

There are a couple other counties that also Postmile all their roads.  San Benito County comes to mind as an example close by.  Calaveras County essentially copies the postmile design of Caltrans, I'm not sure if other counties that postmile their roads do the same. 

Marin County had a series of postmiled roads divided into "A" (arterial) and "C" (connector) categories, all in the 100-399 series.  A few extended into city streets in San Anselmo, Mill Valley, and Corte Madera, but most paddles (patterned after Caltrans' mileposts) could be found in rural areas. 

NE2

Amador has white posts every half mile with only the route number and mileage, as well as numbers on street signs: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1956262081371230&id=100009623717629

Max Rockatansky

Just remembered Tulare County postmiles Mountain Routes, I'm not sure about regular roadways.  This is a common example from MTN 357 on the Colony Mill Road:

10a by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Found an example of a San Benito County mileage paddle, they are substantially different from Caltrans:

IMG_3209 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Here is another MTN Route example from Mineral King Road in Tulare County:

IMG_7923 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

oscar

Here's a mileage paddle from the county-maintained part of Historic US 6 (old CA 14) in Los Angeles County northeast of Santa Clarita. Nothing but mileage, a reflector, and a warning of the penalties for messing with these paddles.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Had a look back through some of my recent road albums looking mileage paddles:

-  San Luis Obispo County doesn't appear to have any mileage paddles.
-  Kings County doesn't appear to have mileage paddles.
-  Monterey County appears to be mileage paddle free but Los Padres National Forest has paddles, this one is from the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road:

IMG_0525 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  Kern County definitely uses mileage paddles in the Sierras, this one is from an old alignment of CA 155:

IMG_3040 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  Madera County might use paddles but my road albums on county maintained roads aren't clear enough for me to say with certainty.

Techknow

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2018, 12:00:56 PM
-  Monterey County appears to be mileage paddle free but Los Padres National Forest has paddles, this one is from the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road:
I was on Reservation Road in Salinas once (County Route G17) and I did see a green mileage marker like the one you posted. Here is one from GSV

Also I believe Marin County has mileage paddles too, there are some in the Panoramic Highway.

EDIT: URL is fixed, look at the sign in front of the end 45 speed limit.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Techknow on March 26, 2018, 01:10:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2018, 12:00:56 PM
I was on Reservation Road in Salinas once (County Route G17) and I did see a green mileage marker like the one you posted. Here is one from GSV

Also I believe Marin County has mileage paddles too, there are some in the Panoramic Highway.

I looked through my G17, G14, G16, and G13 albums but didn't see any...it's possible though.  The GSV image came back as a dead link. 

fungus

The Los Angeles County ones are just for culverts and bridges, and they don't routinely post mile markers, like some of the other counties.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.