News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Entire site is down.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

webny99

NYSDOT?
Seems to be working fine for me...

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: webny99 on June 13, 2018, 10:21:12 PM
NYSDOT?
Seems to be working fine for me...

Construction Opportunities section
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

J N Winkler

This I-84 sign replacement contract is D263712 and the documentation package does not seem to include SFLs.  I wonder if these will be uploaded later.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

machias

Quote from: vdeane on June 13, 2018, 02:06:26 PM
Region 3 did Oswego too.  Most everything on I-81 in R3 is now new, and includes 2 mile advance signs in rural areas.

I think the 2 mile advance exit signs started with the adoption of the 2009 MUTCD, but wasn’t seen wide scale until the new signs on I-81 in Oswego County. There were 2 mile advance signs on I-88 around Exits 4 and 5, but they didn’t last very long for some reason.

I know I-81 is slated to be renumbered to distance-based exits whenever the Syracuse viaduct project happens. I think I-84 may have been done first because it’s the only primary interstate in the state maintained by only one region.

Edit: mistyped "sequential exits" and replaced with "distance-based exits"

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 14, 2018, 01:25:33 PM
Region 3 did Oswego too.  Most everything on I-81 in R3 is now new, and includes 2 mile advance signs in rural areas.

I think the 2 mile advance exit signs started with the adoption of the 2009 MUTCD, but wasn't seen wide scale until the new signs on I-81 in Oswego County. There were 2 mile advance signs on I-88 around Exits 4 and 5, but they didn't last very long for some reason.

I know I-81 is slated to be renumbered to sequential exits whenever the Syracuse viaduct project happens. I think I-84 may have been done first because it's the only primary interstate in the state maintained by only one region.

I-81 is also having all of its signs replaced in one shot. No other 2DI aside from I-99 is short enough to get that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2018, 01:30:24 PM

I think the 2 mile advance exit signs started with the adoption of the 2009 MUTCD, but wasn't seen wide scale until the new signs on I-81 in Oswego County. There were 2 mile advance signs on I-88 around Exits 4 and 5, but they didn't last very long for some reason.

I know I-81 is slated to be renumbered to sequential exits whenever the Syracuse viaduct project happens. I think I-84 may have been done first because it's the only primary interstate in the state maintained by only one region.

I-81 is also having all of its signs replaced in one shot. No other 2DI aside from I-99 is short enough to get that.

Hmmm, I think I-88 is shorter and probably could use a sign rehab at that. Region 9 likes to do funky things with lowercase letters.

froggie

^ 88 needs a pavement rehab far more than it needs a sign rehab....

webny99

I know I-81 is slated to be renumbered to distance-based exits whenever the Syracuse viaduct project happens.

Is there any information online on this?

cl94

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2018, 03:31:57 PM

Uh, yes. Oneonta-Cobleskill is miserable original concrete that warrants left-lane camping. The overlay they did in Schoharie Town last year isn't holding up well after the bad winter, either. The stretch in Binghamton is miserable, but slated to be redone soon.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

machias

Quote from: webny99 on June 14, 2018, 03:45:37 PM
I know I-81 is slated to be renumbered to distance-based exits whenever the Syracuse viaduct project happens.

Is there any information online on this?

It'll probably be included when they announce whatever they're going to do with the viaduct but I don't think there's anything online yet. The discussion I had with NYSDOT was that no matter what option they chose the interchange configuration would change, and they would take the opportunity to coordinate the renumbering with the three regions involved with I-81.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2018, 07:19:42 PM

Uh, yes. Oneonta-Cobleskill is miserable original concrete that warrants left-lane camping. The overlay they did in Schoharie Town last year isn't holding up well after the bad winter, either. The stretch in Binghamton is miserable, but slated to be redone soon.
I guess you don't like the ka-thunk sound.  Personally, I think it gives the road character, and makes it much more fun to drive.  Regarding Binghamton, I think it has been done; it seemed significantly smoother when I drove through to/from the CSVT meet two months ago than before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

With this rehab project, will there be any signs remaining that were erected by the Thruway Authority? With the old milemarkers (mercifully) gone, there won't be much evidence of the former Thruway maintenance left on the highway...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

froggie

Quote from: vdeane on June 14, 2018, 07:45:13 PM

I guess you don't like the ka-thunk sound.  Personally, I think it gives the road character, and makes it much more fun to drive.  Regarding Binghamton, I think it has been done; it seemed significantly smoother when I drove through to/from the CSVT meet two months ago than before.

It's still a bit rough of a ride...and this is coming from a guy who lives 2.5 miles from the nearest pavement...

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2018, 08:36:32 PM

It's still a bit rough of a ride...and this is coming from a guy who lives 2.5 miles from the nearest pavement...

The concrete on that stretch of I-88 between Oneonta and Cobleskill was subject to diamond grinding a little more than 10 years ago.

seicer

Bringing this back for relevance:

Quote from: seicer on April 30, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
Was on I-88 Saturday and could not believe how awful the pavement has gotten in just a year's time near Worcester and Richmondville: Video. Most of the traffic was riding in the left lane, which is where I also camped out in after a quick video. Will this section be on the list for rehab this year?

Another section that was most recently rehabbed, from Central Bridge east to Duanesburg (north end) is also failing after being completed just late last year. Most of the joints have reappeared in the asphalt and potholes are already forming. What differs from this rehab from others along I-88 that are in excellent condition?

As for the southernmost section, it was just rehabilitated. And by that, they just chunked out the worst aspects of it and replaced it with asphalt instead of doing full-depth concrete repairs, and then diamond grinded the whole thing. It is FAR smoother than before but still very much uneven. I've not seen pavement repairs done in such a manner, where asphalt is used instead of concrete for such repairs.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on June 14, 2018, 09:46:22 PM

The concrete on that stretch of I-88 between Oneonta and Cobleskill was subject to diamond grinding a little more than 10 years ago.

Diamond grinding doesn't fix the problem, which is joints. That stretch needed a dowel bar retrofit in addition to the grinding. Of course, with the joints how they are now, it just needs to be torn out and reconstructed. That is, hands-down, the worst section of pavement on an Interstate in New York. Worse than the Thruway through the reservation, worse than I-684 in Westchester.

hotdogPi

I clinched I-88 a few years ago, and I don't remember it being that bad. (Obviously, I wasn't the one driving.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2018, 09:37:46 AM

Diamond grinding doesn't fix the problem, which is joints. That stretch needed a dowel bar retrofit in addition to the grinding. Of course, with the joints how they are now, it just needs to be torn out and reconstructed. That is, hands-down, the worst section of pavement on an Interstate in New York. Worse than the Thruway through the reservation, worse than I-684 in Westchester.
I disagree.  I-86 through the Seneca Nation is much, much worse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2018, 09:53:52 AM

I-86 was reconstructed a few years ago. That's generally in great shape now.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2018, 09:53:52 AM

All the way through?  Last time I was through there, I noted a reconstructed portion and started celebrating...and then hit a remaining stretch of the barely-above-macadam "pavement."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: cu2010 on June 14, 2018, 07:54:53 PM
With this rehab project, will there be any signs remaining that were erected by the Thruway Authority? With the old milemarkers (mercifully) gone, there won't be much evidence of the former Thruway maintenance left on the highway...

Maybe a couple signs at the rest areas and at ramps, but I don't think there will be anything left on the mainline. Maybe some reassurance shields.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2018, 10:08:52 AM
All the way through?  Last time I was through there, I noted a reconstructed portion and started celebrating...and then hit a remaining stretch of the barely-above-macadam "pavement."

The part with the US-219 overlap was rehabbed and is excellent.  That is the only part I use.

What about US-219 south of I-86 to PA?  Old concrete pavement probably from the 1960s and in terrible condition, very bumpy.  When are they going to rehab that?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cl94

Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2018, 12:04:14 PM

The part with the US-219 overlap was rehabbed and is excellent.  That is the only part I use.

What about US-219 south of I-86 to PA?  Old concrete pavement probably from the 1960s and in terrible condition, very bumpy.  When are they going to rehab that?

Everything through Seneca land has been rehabbed within the past few years. I was on it last year and it was smooth.

seicer

Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2018, 12:04:14 PM

I-86 / NY 17 was built in 1980-1987 in the Salamanca area, whose construction was held up for years by the Senecas (for a variety of reasons). That pavement failed fairly quickly and was rehabilitated some two years ago after the project was delayed by the Senecas.

US 219 south of I-86 was twinned around the same time, so that concrete pavement is of the same age of I-86.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.