News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

More ...

(11) When Amoco or American (Standard of  Indiana, "Standard" in some states) gas stations were the only places to purchase unleaded fuel in most of the United States.

Amoco Super Premium was dispensed from a pump with the label on the lower panel that read:
QuoteThe only one - CERTIFIED LEAD-FREE
Example of a 1960's vintage toy pump (check the per-gallon price!) that was up for auction here.

(12) When Flying A was a chain of gas stations in the  East.

(13) When Homoco (short for Homes Oil Company) had a chain of gas stations in Maryland and nearby areas of D.C. and Virginia.  One Homoco still stands as an XTRA station on U.S. 301 between Md. 214 and Md. 197 in Prince George's County.

(14) Sinclair gas stations (mentioned above) were once common in the  East as well.  In the late 1960's or early 1970's, they left the East and many morphed into BP stations. 

(15) ARCO gas stations (and AMPM Mini Mart stores) was also once pretty common in the East. Not any longer.

(16) Another chain that still exists in California but not in the East is Jack-in-the-Box.  There used to be one on Md. 450 in New Carrollton.

(17) On newly-completed I-70 in Maryland between Hagerstown and Frederick, instead of erecting steel gantries for overhead signs, Maryland SRC (I think it was still SRC back then) put up wooden utility poles adjacent to each roadway, strung span wire from them, and hung (smallish) BGS panels from the wires (I have never seen that on an Interstate before or since).

(18) The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway was the only limited-access highway crossing Baltimore City, and it was not signed as I-895 - just TO I-95.

(19) The very first variable message sign (not including the red neon units on the New Jersey Turnpike) I ever saw was a one line unit on I-95 southbound approaching I-695.  It had some static wording about the status of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, and the only message I ever saw on it read "BACKUP."  Otherwise it was blank.

(20) What is now I-395 in Virignia and I-95 from Springfield to the  U.S. 1 interchange in Lorton (Exit 161 now) was signed as "Shirley Highway" (it is still called that officially, but it has been a long time since I have seen it on a sign panel, though his name can be found in the Virginia MUTCD supplement on a sample sign.).  For those that may not know, Henry G. Shirley was Virginia's first Commissioner of Highways.   
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

I remember when I-695 in MD was signed as MD 695 on the east part of the loop and the Baltimore Beltway was a super two east of the Key Bridge near Dundalk.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

SOHIO gas stations in Columbus. I think almost all of them became BP stations.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

OracleUsr

Speaking of gas stations...remember when their corner signs used to rotate?

I passed a vintage Standard Oil tin sign replica on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, not far from Peninsula Point on Lake Michigan, back in July.  Loved that, had to get pictures of it.  It was moments like that that made me almost forget winding up 600+ miles from Detroit Airport (I went to Copper Harbor on Lake Superior and made that discovery after photographing the CH Lighthouse) the day before my flight was to leave.  I love the tin signs and I'm happy that there are people who still appreciate them.

Here's one:  local businesses using fluorescent-lit signs with soda company logos on them.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

briantroutman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 21, 2013, 09:53:09 PM
(16) Another chain that still exists in California but not in the East is Jack-in-the-Box.  There used to be one on Md. 450 in New Carrollton.

They're much larger than California. Visit Dallas or Houston and they're seemingly everywhere. They also have a presence in the St. Louis, Nashville, and Charlotte metros. They've been running a lot of national TV advertising–just as Sonic did before their major national push–and Jack is making a similar expansion effort.

Jack in the Box also owns Qdoba, which is national.

But yes, there used to be locations in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast...my dad was telling me about going to Jack in the Box in DE and NJ growing up. They overexpanded in the '60s and '70s (when they were owned by Ralston Purina) trying to chase McDonalds and were forced to contract considerably by the '80s.

roadman65

Quote from: briantroutman on August 22, 2013, 01:45:43 AM

They're much larger than California. Visit Dallas or Houston and they're seemingly everywhere. They also have a presence in the St. Louis, Nashville, and Charlotte metros. They've been running a lot of national TV advertising–just as Sonic did before their major national push–and Jack is making a similar expansion effort.

But yes, there used to be locations in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast...my dad was telling me about going to Jack in the Box in DE and NJ growing up. They overexpanded in the '60s and '70s (when they were owned by Ralston Purina) trying to chase McDonalds and were forced to contract considerably by the '80s.
I remember when Jack In The Box were the only ones to have a drive through when they were in NJ.  Not sure if they invented that concept or not, but it was original to talk into the Jack-in--the-box to place your order as others just use the flat menu boards or even the speaker/ microphone on a post.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on August 21, 2013, 11:37:18 PM

BP bought SOHIO back in the late 1960s.  They changed the brand in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  The Ohio Turnpike service plazas used to be all SOHIO stations at one time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: briantroutman on August 22, 2013, 01:45:43 AM

Another expansion for Jack in the Box?  They used to have an outlet in Joliet, Illinois until the early 1980s.  The building later became a Popeye's Chicken.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

I only recall ever seeing one Jack-in-the-Box on the East Coast, although I know they had other locations. The one I recall was at the corner of Gallows Road and Lee Highway (US-29) in Merrifield, Virginia; the building later became a Pizza Hut and after that a Taco Bell, and it's now been demolished because there are plans to grade-separate the roads there. The Jack-in-the-Box was never particularly crowded–there was a Roy Rogers diagonally across the intersection (it's now an Arby's) that always got far more business.

cpzilliacus's comment about Homoco makes me remember Hoggoco gas. It was the gas brand sold in Hazzard County on The Dukes of Hazzard. Hey, Boss Hogg owned everything else, so why not the gas station too?

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 21, 2013, 09:53:09 PM....

(20) What is now I-395 in Virignia and I-95 from Springfield to the  U.S. 1 interchange in Lorton (Exit 161 now) was signed as "Shirley Highway" (it is still called that officially, but it has been a long time since I have seen it on a sign panel, though his name can be found in the Virginia MUTCD supplement on a sample sign.).  For those that may not know, Henry G. Shirley was Virginia's first Commissioner of Highways.   

People think it's no longer called that. I recall at one point the Wikipedia article about I-395 was edited to say I-395 is part of what was formerly known as Shirley Highway. (I fixed it.) I've heard Bob Marbourg of WTOP use that name on occasion, even in the past year or so, when he wants to refer to both I-95 and I-395 together (I do the same).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

RoadWarrior56

You are too old if you remember all centerlines on two-lane roads being skip white instead of skip yellow.  You are also too old if you remember "Merging Traffic"  word warning signs rather than the merge warning diagram sign.

roadman

Speaking of gas stations, you're too old if you remember Esso - or Enco in certain states, and there was a third name in other states that I can't recall right now (CRS kicking in).

Bonus if you remember the prototype Exxon signs (there were three variations) that appeared in a handful of cities before the brand was formally changed in 1972.  Manchester NH, where my grandparents lived, was one of the Exxon "prototype" cities, and it was always funny to me to see a different style Exxon sign at each station in Manchester, but the same old Esso signs at the stations just across the city line in Hooksett.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

Quote from: OracleUsr on August 22, 2013, 12:36:18 AM
Speaking of gas stations...remember when their corner signs used to rotate?

There's a business in the Columbus area called K. A. Menendian which sells and cleans rugs. They have a rotating four-face sign on the street corner. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman on August 22, 2013, 12:31:39 PM
Speaking of gas stations, you're too old if you remember Esso - or Enco in certain states, and there was a third name in other states that I can't recall right now (CRS kicking in).

"Humble" was the third. It came into use in some markets after SOHIO complained that the Enco name and logo were too similar to Esso–and infringed on SOHIO's exclusive right to use the "Standard" trademark in their operating areas. This was probably another turning point that led to creation of the Exxon brand name.

The Library of Congress has the sheet where Raymond Loewy–a truly remarkable graphic designer who also created the Hoover logo, the Studebaker Avanti, and Pennsylvania Railroad locomotives–sketched out his first ideas for the Exxon logo.

There are still Esso stations in Canada and internationally. My ExxonMobil credit card still has the Esso logo in it.

US71

Humble

Bonus if you remember the prototype Exxon signs (there were three variations) that appeared in a handful of cities before the brand was formally changed in 1972.  Manchester NH, where my grandparents lived, was one of the Exxon "prototype" cities, and it was always funny to me to see a different style Exxon sign at each station in Manchester, but the same old Esso signs at the stations just across the city line in Hooksett.

I'd love to see the prototype sign if you have any photos.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: US71 on August 22, 2013, 01:14:31 PM
Humble

I'd love to see the prototype sign if you have any photos.

Didn't occur to me to take photos (I was 8 or 9 at the time).  But I vividly recall that one of the prototypes was a red oval (similar to the Esso LOGO) with EXXON in white.  And, yes, it was a "traditional" rotating (and illuminated) sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 18, 2013, 06:53:00 PMalso, in the early 90s, they got rid of two huge oil storage tanks - one of which said Bostongas and one of which was painted with rainbow stripes - from just beside the south end of the Artery.
One of those tanks is still there.  Traffic reporters used to refer to that spot as the gas tanks; now they just say the gas tank.

It's actually along the Southeast Expressway near Exit 14 (see below Google Streetview shot from I-93 North)
http://goo.gl/maps/k6Psj

Quote from: roadman on August 21, 2013, 07:46:16 PM
Here's another from Massachusetts:  Interstate 95 route assemblies on the original elevated Central Artery through Downtown Boston, which appeared for a brief time in the mid to late 1960s.

Unlike the pull-thru signs for I-95 on the Tobin Bridge, one of which lasted into the late 1990s, the Central Artery assemblies had cardinal direction plates instead of "TO".

I vividly recall these I-95 assemblies from my childhood (we summered on the Cape, and my father always drove through Downtown Boston).  Twenty years later, by looking through old MassDPW records, I was finally able to verify that it wasn't my imagination.
I, for one, would love to see those photos or drawings of those.

Here's a few more Bay State ones:

-The yellow lights along the (Mystic) Tobin Bridge railings; these lights faced away from the driver and could be seen from behind.

-The red neon REDUCE SPEED sign shortly after the southbound Tobin Bridge toll booths, mounted on the overhead truss.  The sign would flash ACCIDENT AHEAD if such was present.

-Northbound Tobin Bridge toll booths in operation and Callahan Tunnel toll booths.

-Red DONT WALK and green WALK signals.  I saw these near Boston Common in my childhood circa the early 70s.

-Flashing Las Vegas style advertisement signs.  Similar to the ol' CITGO sign near Fenway; I'm referring to the ol' Coca-Cola sign in Cambridge (easily visable when riding along Storrow or Memorial Drive) and the WHITE FUEL oil well sign on top of a building at Kenmore Square.

-The cartoon pilgrim aka the Mass Pike's mascot.  Usually seen on toll tickets, maps and other Pike-related literature.

-The arrow through the Mass Pike pilgrim hat, which was originally part of the Mass Pike logo.  Contrary to popular belief, the arrow was dropped from the logo due to motorists mistaking it for a directional arrow.

-Riding along the original ramps to/from the Central Artery that were torn down during the 70s (example: the southbound on-ramp from Clinton St.)

Quote from: roadman on August 20, 2013, 10:45:32 AM
The "Barricade 1000 Feet" signs on the Northeast Expressway (now US 1) in Revere (MA) prior to the MA 60 interchange, and the wooden barricades themselves across what was to be the extension of I-95.
Similar also existed at the I-95/93/(128) interchange in Canton (across what was to be I-95 North) and at the I-95/495 interchange in Mansfield (prior to 495 being extended southward - barricade extended across I-495 South).

Speaking of gas stations, you're too old if you remember Esso.
Or the cartoon oil drop character associated w/Esso.  I believe the brand still exists in Canada; at least it did in 1981 when I was in New Brunswick.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theline

Quote from: Brandon on August 22, 2013, 09:25:11 AM
Quote from: vtk on August 21, 2013, 11:37:18 PM

BP bought SOHIO back in the late 1960s.  They changed the brand in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  The Ohio Turnpike service plazas used to be all SOHIO stations at one time.

SOHIO had the best gas station maps of Ohio. Giant tri-folds with plenty of city insets. I always had to get one every year when we visited Ohio. I've probably got one squirreled away in a box, but lord knows where.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 22, 2013, 02:01:36 PMSimilar to the ol' CITGO sign near Fenway; I'm referring to the ol' Coca-Cola sign in Cambridge (easily visable when riding along Storrow or Memorial Drive) and the WHITE FUEL oil well sign on top of a building at Kenmore Square.

I believe the huge Shell sign is still around, but the Strawberries (record store) sign is gone.  both on Memorial Drive.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 22, 2013, 02:01:36 PM
Speaking of gas stations, you're too old if you remember Esso.
Or the cartoon oil drop character associated w/Esso.  I believe the brand still exists in Canada; at least it did in 1981 when I was in New Brunswick.

Esso does still in fact exist in Canada.  It is only in the US where it became Exxon.

cpzilliacus

I remember Esso well.  All of them also had a sign (usually on the building itself) that read Humble.  Esso was flipped to Exxon in the East about 1971 or 1972.

I have seen (recently) pumps in Exxon stations in Virginia dispensing Diesel fuel from pumps with label Esso Auto Diesel, presumably because they  want to protect the Esso name in the states where they are entitled to use it.

Next time I see an Esso Diesel pump, I will snap an image of it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 22, 2013, 02:51:30 PM

I remember Esso well.  All of them also had a sign (usually on the building itself) that read Humble.  Esso was flipped to Exxon in the East about 1971 or 1972.

I have seen (recently) pumps in Exxon stations in Virginia dispensing Diesel fuel from pumps with label Esso Auto Diesel, presumably because they  want to protect the Esso name in the states where they are entitled to use it.

Next time I see an Esso Diesel pump, I will snap an image of it.
In California it was Enco!  That I saw back in 1971 when LAX had underground tunnels to go from the terminal to the gate areas.  Now the buildings are now connected above ground.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Quote from: lepidopteran on August 19, 2013, 08:18:18 PM
-- how pumping your own fuel was unheard of (unless you live in NJ or Oregon)  And they'd volunteer to check your oil, check your tire pressure, clean your windshield, etc.  (Note that a Shell station in Ohio had a "mini-serve" island, where they only pumped your gas and not those other things)
-- the catchphrase "Fill ‘er up, with regular”
-- all gasoline contained lead; grades besides Regular were labeled "Hi-Test”, "Premium”, "Ethyl”, "Super”, "No-Nox”, etc.
-- there was a separate nozzle/hose for each grade, usually at a separate pump assembly altogether (Sunoco was a notable exception)
-- the familiar "ding-ding” sound when you ran over the pressurized hose, to let the attendant (who was likely working under a hood in the garage) know that a customer drove up; not to be confused with the softer, single "ding” that some pumps emitted as the amount purchased rolled over each dollar increment
-- when gas stations were known as "service stations”, and as such, a station without service bays was an anomaly
-- when roofs over the pump area, if you even knew of any, were the exception rather than the rule
-- they had analog "wheels” on the pump dial for the number of gallons and "This sale”, some of which didn't exceed $9.99 as a total!  And only 2 digits were in the price-per-gallon window (OK, plus the fractional amount.)
-- when the gallons pumped window used fractional notation -- 1/10, 2/10, etc. -- rather than a decimal point, even though tenths mean the same thing
-- when there was sight glass on the pump
-- when there was a lit "globe” in the shape of the logo atop the pump
-- when the nozzle was nested on the side of the pump, not the front.
-- when they accepted house credit cards only, e.g., at a Gulf station, you could only use a Gulf credit card.
-- the sound of that handheld slider device for making an imprint of your charge card
-- S&H Green Stamps, Top Value Stamps, and other trading stamps you received with your purchase
-- when about the only other thing they sold besides petrol was motor oil, the cans of which (yes, cans!) were neatly stacked in a pyramid.  If other items like candy, cigarettes, or soda pop were available, it was pretty much only through vending machines.
-- restroom entrances were on the outside of the building, and you had to ask for the key
-- Esso stations in the United States, or any open station bearing the name "Standard” or "Standard Oil”, apart from the token locations kept to maintain trademark rights
-- rotating signs (especially the Union 76 rotating ball).  Or signs with flashing light elements
-- free air.  The pump had large, hand-cranked numbers for the tire pressure setting, and there might have been an attached water hose available as well
-- free road maps
-- free glasses

You have captured these so well!  And yes, I remember, mostly before the first energy crisis in 1973-74.

roadman65

Not to mention your neighborhood mechanic was your gas attendant too!  Maps were indeed free and coke/pepsi machines were the beverages and if you needed candy and cigarettes you went to either a sundry store or a candy store.  No convenience stores until 7 Eleven came out later on!  No 24/7 businesses either and you could not buy gas overnight except in truck stops maybe!

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2013, 10:16:41 PM
I remember when I-695 in MD was signed as MD 695 on the east part of the loop and the Baltimore Beltway was a super two east of the Key Bridge near Dundalk.

In the earliest days  of the F. S. Key Bridge (opened 1977), the approach on the  west side was also a Super-2 - all the way from the present-day Md. 10 interchange (and including the Curtis Bay drawbridge) to the foot of the big bridge.

roadman

@PHLBOS - Regarding the I-95 route assemblies along the elevated Central Artery, I have an official MassDPW photo of one.  I also have an official photo of one of the original BGS panels on the Somerville section of I-93 that has an I-95 shield.  You've now given me a project to dig through my archives and find them (then figure out a way to post them to the group).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.