News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Inconsistent road names

Started by jt4, March 30, 2022, 05:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jt4

Is it common to find road names that are inconsistently spelled throughout their route? One example from my area is Socialville-Foster(s) Rd in Warren County, Ohio -

The ends of the road are marked as Foster (no s):
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3185499,-84.3510367,3a,22.6y,39.39h,83.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOPBk0bk85puhZdh6OqRmew!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3204834,-84.2534684,3a,90y,264.57h,78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sILoT9oL9iT0Xj7KtshPZNA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The intersections along the road appear to mark it as Fosters:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3194323,-84.3315955,3a,36.5y,218.48h,88.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snfXdIZjwQ7v0SR0hZFEFWw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3226998,-84.3125172,3a,75y,11.65h,79.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5eKHYxKbS7F2Cv6oTG2qHA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Warren County marks the road as Fosters on their GIS site, but the auditor's website acknowledges the spelling as Foster for the vast majority of parcels on the road.

Apple and Google mark the road as Fosters, while Bing and Mapquest use Foster.

It appears the name refers to the unincorporated town of Foster, which used to be called Foster's Crossing, and although Wikipedia prefers Fosters as the name of the town, it's marked as Foster on Google Maps.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180313042457/http://www.co.warren.oh.us/genealogy/genealogy/placenames.htm

tigerwings

Gibraltar/Gibralter Road in Flat Rock, MI

Spelling varies on cross street signs.

Years ago a news story said that Gibraltar was the county spelling, Gibralter was the city of Flat Rock spelling.

skluth

St Louis has a difficult time deciding if it's Morgan Ford Rd or Morganford Rd. I know there are other examples in the area, but I lived close to this street on a few occasions and it always annoyed me.

NWI_Irish96

Some of the signs for Holman Ln in Jeffersonville, IN, have an 's' added to the end.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

The thread title made me think of this incident with Phil[l]ips Rd in Webster, NY a few years ago:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/01/23/phillips-road-sign-webster-mistake/22232375/

KCRoadFan

When I traveled US 1 on Street View from Maine to Key West, FL, I noticed the on the section on the south side of Jacksonville - which is called Philips Highway - some signs spelled it with one L, and others used two L's (Phillips). I believe the one-L spelling is the official one, but I'll need to have someone from the area verify that.

US 89

LilianaUwU

A street in my hometown alternates between "Chemin du Gros-Cap" and "Chemin de Gros-Cap" on street name blades, even in blades from the same batch.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TheHighwayMan3561

A road in my old hometown is bladed as all three of "Jackson Ave", "Jackson Road", and "Jackson St" on its 1.5 mile length.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Occidental Tourist

Baseline Street, Base Line Street, Baseline Road, Base Line Road, Baseline Avenue, and just plain Base Line, all the names used for one mostly contiguous street in the San Gabriel, Pomona, and San Bernardino Valleys in Southern California.

hotdogPi

Waverly Rd./Waverley Rd. in North Andover, MA.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2022, 07:26:07 AM
There an interesting Allendale/Alandale Avenue between Albany and Schenectady.  However, the inconsistency is intentional.  The name changes at the municipality border between Colonie and Niskayuna.

It causes an intersection where each of the four legs has a different name (Central Ave, State St, Allendale Ave and Alandale Ave) due the boundary running right through it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

US 250 in Goochland County and a small portion of Louisa County is "Broad Street Road", named because it is an extension of West Broad Street in Richmond (the segment of US 250 in Henrico County changed from Broad Street Road to West Broad Street in the early 1990s). However, Louisa spells it "Broadstreet Road".
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bitmapped

In Morgantown, WV, there's a lot of inconsistency between whether CR 857 is Greenbag Road or Green Bag Road. The road was originally built by the Green Bag Cement Company to access its loading dock on the Monongahela River, so the two-word version seems like it should be correct but Greenbag is more commonly used.

Flint1979

Quote from: tigerwings on March 30, 2022, 05:46:37 PM
Gibraltar/Gibralter Road in Flat Rock, MI

Spelling varies on cross street signs.

Years ago a news story said that Gibraltar was the county spelling, Gibralter was the city of Flat Rock spelling.
I have never seen it spelled any other way than Gibraltar.

epzik8

Robin Hood/Robinhood Road in Havre de Grace, Maryland, as well as Old Robin Hood/Old Robinhood Road which runs into nearby Aberdeen. The "Old" road exists in two disconnected segments due to I-95's construction in the 1960s. At its west end at Gilbert Road, the blade says "Old Robinhood", while along its entire eastern segment it is rendered as Old Robin Hood. The "new" road is spelled as Robin Hood throughout, including at its traffic signal at US 40. Google Maps spells both as Robinhood.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US 89

There is an incredible amount of inconsistency over whether the name of the road carrying FA 1406 in North Salt Lake, UT is spelled Eagle Ridge Dr or Eagleridge Dr. Signage used to be 100% in favor of the one-word spelling, but new signs anywhere along the road are pretty much a 50/50 split. Online maps generally favor the two-word spelling, but may in fact label different portions of the road with different spellings. Even the Google Maps link above gets directions from "Eagle Ridge Dr" to "S Eagleridge Dr". Apple Maps switches that and only puts the two-word spelling on the northernmost part instead.

Even the county's property search map is inconsistent. The basemap spells the whole road as one word, but in general, addresses along the road follow what Apple Maps has. Naturally, there are exceptions - for example, "252 SOUTH EAGLERIDGE DR" is right next to "242 SOUTH EAGLE RIDGE DR".

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2022, 09:25:02 AM
Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2022, 07:26:07 AM
There an interesting Allendale/Alandale Avenue between Albany and Schenectady.  However, the inconsistency is intentional.  The name changes at the municipality border between Colonie and Niskayuna.

It causes an intersection where each of the four legs has a different name (Central Ave, State St, Allendale Ave and Alandale Ave) due the boundary running right through it.

We have an intersection in fort collins like this:
NW: Jefferson
SE: Riverside
NE: Lincoln
SW: Mountain

There's also a Center, and a Centre, avenue that run into each other. It's not a sign blooper, they are 2 distinct streets.
Center extends into the CSU campus.
Centre, refers to a semi-built industrial/commercial park.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Dirt Roads

My hometown of Scott Depot, West Virginia has an strange one, involving four different spellings. 

At various times, CR-29 has been labeled as either "Rock Step Road", "Rock Stepp Road" or "Rocky Step Road" (and a combination thereof).  In West Virginia, the official WVDOH signage is a rectangular green sign with a white circle, roadname and short arrow at each end of the road (thus, only two such signs for this road).  When I was growing up, both ends had older signs from the 1940's that said "Rock Step Road".  By the late 1970's, the one on the Scott Depot end was replaced saying "Rock Stepp Road" with the older sign still at the other end.  The last time I looked, both ends had been changed to "Rocky Step Road" just like the locals call it.  When E911 came to Putnam County back in the late 1990s, the official addresses became "Rocky Step Road" and that version looks like it will finally stick.

The road is named after the creek it runs alongside at the southern end of the road.  Officially, the creek is named "Rockstep Run", further complicating the issue.  Locals have always called it "Up Rocky Step".  The local story frequently told in the hardware store was that the folks that lived "Up Rocky Step" couldn't say Rock Step correctly. 

One of my earliest memory was the intersection of Rock Step and Teays Valley Road had one of the famous "Ferguson Governor"-stenciled school bus stop shelters.  Milton Ferguson ran for governor in 1956.  I had a classmate that lived on the other side of the creek at that intersection and he and his neighbors continued to use that old bus stop until at least 1976.

dgolub

Here on Long Island, Suffolk CR 16 has been signed as both Horse Block Road and Horseblock Road, although the trend seems to be toward the latter in recent years.  Broad Hollow Road (NY 110) has gotten signed as Broadhollow Road (Ugh!) in certain place.  Then, over in the New Jersey, US 1/US 9 has been signed as Tonnelle Avenue, Tonnele Avenue, and I think even Tonelle Avenue in certain places.

mgk920

In the north Chicagoland suburbs in Illinois, on one side of Lake-Cook Rd (the border between Cook County and Lake County is Sanders Rd and on the other side is Saunders Rd.

Mike

zachary_amaryllis

Also in my area:

North lemay, is sometimes known as 9th street, or lindenmeier road, depending on where you are, and who you ask. People who have lived here a long time tend to call it Lindenmeier. I say, to hell with all of that and just call it CR 13. And the designations overlap.

The GSV is an old one, what's missing is the new bridge that would normally be seen at this point just to the east of this intersection. The new bridge carries the 'official' north Lemay over the tracks and Vine Drive. But, as of last night, the signage at this intersection is the same.

https://goo.gl/maps/7545WACSAENp7zYj8
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Dirt Roads

One in Orange County, North Carolina that several folks here at AARoads have commented on in recent years is "Old Number 10", which parallels I-85 between Hillsborough and Durham.  Newer signs are posted as "Old NC 10" and "Old NC Route 10".  Most of the street addresses are now listed as "Old NC 10", but there is one section in the Strayhorn Hills development that has addresses of "Old State Highway 10" and another section with Durham addresses that are sometimes listed the same way, or alternatively a "Old NC State Highway 10".  The far east end of the road changes to "Old Hillsborough Road".  Locals still refer to the entire road as "Old Number 10".

It's curious to me about the addresses along this road, and its big brother US-70.  The address numbers along Old Number 10 increase eastward from Hillsborough into the Durham zip code, whereas the numbers increase westward along US-70 from Durham into the Hillsborough zip code.  Except that the address numbers on the US-70 Bypass section start at Churton Street (NC-86) and increase eastward up to the intersection with US-70 Business. 

Which, of course reminds me that the road posted as US-70 Business is shown as "Highway 70A" or "Hwy 70A" along the eastern section from Churton Street, including the section that is concurrent with NC-86.  Is your head spinning yet?  :spin:

MATraveler128

There's two inconsistent names in Southeast Pennsylvania that I'm familiar with.

Sacketts Ford Rd is spelled Sackettsford Rd

Sugar Bottom Rd is spelled Sugarbottom Rd

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ftballfan

Just south of Disney World: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3325968,-81.5765689,3a,53y,274.72h,94.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ5cmKe4I_xmLAMIqi1DOPw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
The sign blade has the cross street as Griffen Rd (GSV November 2021) while most if not all maps I've seen have it as Griffin Rd. To make matters more confusing, older GSV images have the sign blade as Griffin Rd and GSV in December 2021 has a Griffin Rd sign blade at its other end.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.