News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-70 and I-75

Started by doglover44, April 13, 2022, 04:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglover44

What are your favorite parts/stops of I-70 and I-75 ?

HighwayStar

I-70 from Fredrick to Breezewood, and the portion from New Stanton to Cambridge Ohio is pretty nice. Obviously the Colorado section is well known for its scenic drive too.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

SkyPesos

I lived near both I-70 or I-75 during my entire life. A bit to say about both

I-70:
- Both termini of the highway. I know some people hate it for ending in the middle of nowhere on one end and a parking lot in the other, but I find it unique
- Breezewood
- The part west of Denver seems like a nice drive.
- It's the successor of US 40, a US route loaded with history.
- A nice variety of cities it goes through or near, like Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC and Baltimore.
- Probably one of the interstates that we debate about its control cities the most here, from Limon to Baltimore Beltway.

I-75:
- 6 laned for a good chunk of its route, though that's sort of because of its high truck traffic.
- Successor of the Dixie Highway (US 25 in the Midwest and US 41 in the south).
- Mackinac Bridge

skluth

I've only been on the extreme ends of I-75, South Florida and north of Clare, MI. The alligators and herons sunning themselves along Alligator Alley were interesting, but the rest between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale is pretty boring. I thought the wetlands were nice but the cookie-cutter development along the highway from Tampa to Naples looks just like any other recently developed suburban/ exurban area only with palm trees. It's also some of the flattest interstate in the country. The stretch from the Soo Locks to Clare has some really nice woodland in the Lower Peninsula and the spectacular Mackinac and SSM International Bridges and but the UP is pretty boring between the bridges.

I've driven almost all of I-70; I may or may not have clinched it as I don't recall if I've driven all the stretch from Frederick to Baltimore. Glenwood Canyon is lovely and probably my favorite section. I also quite like its portion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and SE Ohio east of the Mississippi. A really underrated portion is the west end in Utah to the interchange at mile marker 99; the pastoral Sevier Valley flanked by two gorgeous mountain passes. The worst is the five hours from Salina to Limon which may be the best argument for self-driving cars I could ever make.

jmacswimmer

I-70's entire stretch from Grand Junction to Denver is just incredible.  I was last on the whole thing in 2016, and in 2021 went as far west as Breckenridge.  IIRC, there's a grand total of 5.5 tunnels (5 EB, 6 WB) over the course of the Grand Junction-Denver route.

For as much flak as the PA Turnpike catches for its toll rates, the New Stanton-Breezewood stretch that I-70 uses is a really fun drive.  The water gaps just east of Bedford, the ascent to the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, the tunnel itself, the wind farms near Somerset, the Laurel Hill Tunnel bypass, the long descent beyond...I'm also a big fan of the architecture of the reconstructed service plazas.

I'll even offer up a few pictures below from a recent trip to Pittsburgh (gross!).

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 13, 2022, 05:54:39 PM
- Breezewood

Fun fact: During said trip a few weeks ago, I hit the green light in Breezewood in both directions, and thus for the first time I can recall never actually came to a complete stop in Breezewood  :sombrero:

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Henry

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 13, 2022, 05:54:39 PM
I lived near both I-70 or I-75 during my entire life. A bit to say about both

I-70:
- Both termini of the highway. I know some people hate it for ending in the middle of nowhere on one end and a parking lot in the other, but I find it unique
- Breezewood
- The part west of Denver seems like a nice drive.
- It's the successor of US 40, a US route loaded with history.
- A nice variety of cities it goes through or near, like Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC and Baltimore.
- Probably one of the interstates that we debate about its control cities the most here, from Limon to Baltimore Beltway.

I-75:
- 6 laned for a good chunk of its route, though that's sort of because of its high truck traffic.
- Successor of the Dixie Highway (US 25 in the Midwest and US 41 in the south).
- Mackinac Bridge

I'll add to the list the many major cities that I-75 serves (Miami, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Atlanta, Knoxville, Lexington, Cincinnati, Toledo, Detroit, Flint, Saginaw). Plus it crosses I-70 near Dayton.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Me?

- I-70 - Likely the Glenwood Canyon.
- I-75 - The Mackanac Bridge.

Mke

kennyshark64

I-75 - My favorite part is the stretch from southern Kentucky to the north side of Knoxville (i.e. Merchants Drive).

I-70 - I've only been on a few random stretches, so I can't say what my favorite part is with any intelligence.  What I CAN tell you is my least-favorite part:  Indianapolis to I-255 in Illinois (near St. Louis).

JoePCool14

My favorite part of I-70 is the section where it goes through downtown Baltimore.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ilpt4u

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 16, 2022, 03:29:10 PM
My favorite part of I-70 is the section where it goes through downtown Baltimore.
I love Phantom Freeways

HighwayStar

Quote from: ilpt4u on April 16, 2022, 03:35:36 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 16, 2022, 03:29:10 PM
I love Phantom Freeways

Oh the horror  :paranoid:
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Ned Weasel

I-70: Anywhere east of Columbus, Ohio.

I-75: From Macon, Georgia, north through Tennessee.

Note that there are significant stretches of both interstates that I have never driven.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

doglover44

I-75 N I been all the way up to Mackinack Island

I-75 S farthest south ive been is near Orlando FL

I-70 W St Louis hope to make it to the end at Cove Fort Utah

I-70 E somewhere in PA

SEWIGuy

I-70: west of Denver
I-75:  north of Chattanooga

Flint1979

I-75: The eight lanes between Saginaw and Flint. The best thing to ever come out of Ohio. And I can get to Florida on it.

I-70: I have no idea.

Flint1979

Quote from: skluth on April 13, 2022, 07:05:44 PM
I've only been on the extreme ends of I-75, South Florida and north of Clare, MI. The alligators and herons sunning themselves along Alligator Alley were interesting, but the rest between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale is pretty boring. I thought the wetlands were nice but the cookie-cutter development along the highway from Tampa to Naples looks just like any other recently developed suburban/ exurban area only with palm trees. It's also some of the flattest interstate in the country. The stretch from the Soo Locks to Clare has some really nice woodland in the Lower Peninsula and the spectacular Mackinac and SSM International Bridges and but the UP is pretty boring between the bridges.

I've driven almost all of I-70; I may or may not have clinched it as I don't recall if I've driven all the stretch from Frederick to Baltimore. Glenwood Canyon is lovely and probably my favorite section. I also quite like its portion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and SE Ohio east of the Mississippi. A really underrated portion is the west end in Utah to the interchange at mile marker 99; the pastoral Sevier Valley flanked by two gorgeous mountain passes. The worst is the five hours from Salina to Limon which may be the best argument for self-driving cars I could ever make.
I-75 doesn't go through Clare, you mean Bay City?

jOnstar1979

I-70 - I have only been on certain chunks east of the Mississippi. I do love the section between Breezewood & I-68. I also enjoy much of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Minus the expense), so any part of I-70 joined with I-76 is a nice ride.

I-75 - I am on this freeway almost every day north of Detroit and have taken it down through north Georgia many times through my life. Some favorite parts would include anywhere north of Flint to Bay City including the Zilwaukee Bridge. The 4 lanes make that a very quick and smooth section to drive through. Next would be the Mackinac Bridge and surrounding area. South of Detroit I love driving northbound going over the Rouge River seeing the full skyline of Downtown Detroit. Outside of Michigan... I love the skyline of Cincinatti just before crossing the bridge out of Kentucky. And almost all of Tennessee is a favorite for me.

TheHighwayMan3561

70: Colorado and Utah.

75: The Mac, because the Great Lakes are my happy place in life.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dlsterner

I've been on about 18% of I-70 and about 46% of I-75, so I'm sure that there are some good and bad points that I have missed.

I-70:
Favorite:
     Breezewood (seriously - because it's quirky - I like odd things like that)
     Baltimore
     (Although I'm sure that this may change if I get to drive on the parts in Colorado and Utah)
Least Favorite:
     Between New Stanton and Washington, PA (just a below-standard slog)

I-75:
     I dunno ... the parts I have been on have all been kind of ... meh.  (I have not been to the Mackinac Bridge)
Favorite:
     Sunshine Skyway south of St. Petersburg FL. - if I had to name something
Least Favorite:
     As I suggested ... lots of "meh", nothing really standing out

Flint1979

Quote from: jOnstar1979 on April 19, 2022, 05:49:00 PM
I-70 - I have only been on certain chunks east of the Mississippi. I do love the section between Breezewood & I-68. I also enjoy much of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Minus the expense), so any part of I-70 joined with I-76 is a nice ride.

I-75 - I am on this freeway almost every day north of Detroit and have taken it down through north Georgia many times through my life. Some favorite parts would include anywhere north of Flint to Bay City including the Zilwaukee Bridge. The 4 lanes make that a very quick and smooth section to drive through. Next would be the Mackinac Bridge and surrounding area. South of Detroit I love driving northbound going over the Rouge River seeing the full skyline of Downtown Detroit. Outside of Michigan... I love the skyline of Cincinatti just before crossing the bridge out of Kentucky. And almost all of Tennessee is a favorite for me.
Your kind of like me. I'm on I-75 just about every day too north of Detroit and have clinched the entire highway. The Zilwaukee Bridge is ok but it's not really in a scenic area or anything. I just drove over it the other day going SB and of course there was the problem when it was being built too. The Mackinac Bridge is pretty cool though I have always enjoyed that bridge. I agree with coming over the Rouge River and looking at the Detroit skyline in front of you. Then the Cincinnati skyline is nice too as well as Tennessee.

Buck87

I-70 - Glenwood Canyon in Colorado.

I-75 - Jellico Mountain in Tennessee.

doglover44

Quote from: Buck87 on April 20, 2022, 10:26:15 AM
I-70 - Glenwood Canyon in Colorado.

I-75 - Jellico Mountain in Tennessee.

I love Jellico Mountain

skluth

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 17, 2022, 04:54:40 PM
Quote from: skluth on April 13, 2022, 07:05:44 PM

I-75 doesn't go through Clare, you mean Bay City?
Actually I meant Grayling. Forgot US 127 was once Temp I-75 or something like that from Clare to Grayling before the Standish-Grayling segment was built.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.