News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Minnesota Flag

Started by 7/8, December 20, 2023, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: mgk920 on December 21, 2023, 12:58:04 AM
From what I understand, this was done (yea, like the Minnesota state legislature doesn't have any other more pressing issues to worry about) because the original state seal was deemed to be too 'un PC'.

:rolleyes:

Mike
This is true, but it doesn't mean that there weren't multiple reasons people could want a new flag. The originality and improvements to the design are more interesting to discuss than this.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on December 21, 2023, 12:58:04 AM
From what I understand, this was done (yea, like the Minnesota state legislature doesn't have any other more pressing issues to worry about) because the original state seal was deemed to be too 'un PC'.

:rolleyes:

Mike

You might be displeased then to learn that your state's neighbor to the south is also looking to redesign its flag.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

index

Quote from: TXtoNJ on December 20, 2023, 02:26:27 PM
Terrible Reddit flag. Cute gimmicks in place of any meaningful symbolism. "Oh look, the indented bisection looks like the state, kind of".

Mississippi's new flag broke most of the "rules" and it's by far the best one that's come out this decade. This one looks just as much "flag by numbers" as the old seal-on-blue-field
I don't hate it as much, but I do think it's a little bland. It suffered death by committee. It relies too much on modern design sensibilities in my opinion, especially with the colors. Give it the star on the original flag it was modified from and change the colors to something more flag-like and I think I'd grow to like it. Regardless though it's a massive improvement over the seal slapped onto a field.

That's also the problem I have with Utah's new flag. By a design standpoint it's good but from a flag standpoint I don't really like it. It relies too much on modern design/flat design and looks like something off of a webpage like a logo or something. Flags should be timeless. I feel like in 30 years time it's gonna look really dated. Take Milwaukee's 1975 redesign proposal for example:

In 1975 it probably looked great to people, and it does meet the flag design rules mostly. But today it looks terrible. Dated and garish. The same is gonna happen with all these Reddit vexillology vector-looking flags in 30-40 years I feel.

The other thing I hate is when people follow the flag design "rules" religiously. They're not rules, they're guidelines, and the flag bible they get the rules from even says so itself. You can depart from them if well-executed and done with meaning. California's is excellent even though it uses text because of how iconic and historic it is. "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" looks back to not only its history but the cultural status of California today.

In terms of culture, the economy, and progress it's been the trendsetter for the rest of the country and is thus somewhat independent from the rest of America in that regard, symbolized by "REPUBLIC" on the flag. It very often goes its own way as a state.

I also think a little detail is fine so long as the overall basic shape of the symbols used isn't compromised. The flower on Mississippi's flag is good, and while I'm not a fan of the text, it's included in such a way as to be unintrusive, blending in with the existing pattern of stars. Since the flag was required to have text, that was the best way of doing it.

Here's an example of the problem with following the rules religiously. If anyone saw that CGP Grey video, the way he redesigned South Carolina's flag and the rationale for it drove me absolutely insane. He claims that the palmetto is mistaken for being a palm tree when he says everyone thinks it's a palm tree (BECAUSE IT IS), then says they should replace it with this ugly angel oak design that just looks...terrible, because apparently it's a better symbol for South Carolina. Nobody really pays much attention to the angel oak in terms of symbols, and it has no special meaning for South Carolina other than like one famous tree in Charleston.

And it completely ignores the deep historical meaning of the palmetto tree for the state. It represents how they blocked cannon fire during the Revolutionary War, in addition to the state's most prized asset, its coast. Then he said it's too detailed. No it's not? Even if you do have little hatches here and there, the overall shape of the palm is simple enough for a child to draw. It departs from the rules, yeah, but it does so gracefully.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

I also don't like the rigid, simplistic look of the new flags in MN or UT, but, for some reason, I do like the modernistic Newfoundland and Labrador flag.

There's no accounting for taste.  Literally.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: index on December 21, 2023, 03:13:36 AM
I also think a little detail is fine so long as the overall basic shape of the symbols used isn't compromised.

I agree with this in general.  Detail is fine if you're doing the seal-on-a-bedsheet thing—which is fine if the seal is what really matters.  But if you're not going in that direction, then avoid detail:  it should be big swaths of color, with maybe one large symbol.  The symbol on the Algerian flag is good, because it's big and simple.  Wyoming's is bad, because they should have gone with either the state seal or the bison, but not both.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2023, 11:29:37 AM
I also think a little detail is fine so long as the overall basic shape of the symbols used isn't compromised.

I agree with this in general.  Detail is fine if you're doing the seal-on-a-bedsheet thing—which is fine if the seal is what really matters.  But if you're not going in that direction, then avoid detail:  it should be big swaths of color, with maybe one large symbol.  The symbol on the Algerian flag is good, because it's big and simple.  Wyoming's is bad, because they should have gone with either the state seal or the bison, but not both.

What was your feeling on the old Libyan flag?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 21, 2023, 11:45:07 AM

What was your feeling on the old Libyan flag?

A little too far in my opinion—but still better than the Austrian battle flag, which is a white eagle on a white background with a white border.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 20, 2023, 09:23:35 PM
I prefer this proposal (yes, this was actually posted on the submissions website):

The dog one was great as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Genghixiani

I love that some people make their flag the memeiest thing ever, and the internet always votes for it (if they are in that area changing their flag)  :bigass:
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheHighwayMan3561

Today we have someone on at work who served on the flag/seal redesign commission. A lot of the thought of removing the stripes had to do with the notion that every state has land, but as Minnesotans we are largely defined by water in ways other people may not so much be.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 21, 2023, 05:16:20 PM
Today we have someone on at work who served on the flag/seal redesign commission. A lot of the thought of removing the stripes had to do with the notion that every state has land, but as Minnesotans we are largely defined by water in ways other people may not so much be.

To be fair...  at least from my experience down here in Kansas...  you're also defined by snow to an extent others are not.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

index

After some careful thought I've came up with a design that has a little bit of what everyone likes. This should make everyone happy:

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

LilianaUwU

the new MN flag if it was good

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: index on December 21, 2023, 10:58:14 PM
After some careful thought I've came up with a design that has a little bit of what everyone likes. This should make everyone happy:

It's the parentheses that make it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

Quote from: index on December 21, 2023, 10:58:14 PM

The dog's eyes and mouth will haunt my dreams! :clap:

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 21, 2023, 11:49:28 PM

This is excellent, I can see this being a popular flag! Did you make this?

7/8

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2023, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2023, 03:35:41 PM
Let's be honest, though.  What do state flags mean to locals either?  (Alaska, Texas, New Mexico excepted)

What a flag means to locals kind of depends on how good the flag is, honestly.

Agreed, and I don't think it's coincidence that the three states kphoger chose as exceptions have great flags. States with great flags feature it everywhere (ex: MD, SC, CO, the latter even uses it on their route markers).

Quote from: TXtoNJ on December 20, 2023, 02:26:27 PM
Terrible Reddit flag. Cute gimmicks in place of any meaningful symbolism. "Oh look, the indented bisection looks like the state, kind of".

Mississippi's new flag broke most of the "rules" and it's by far the best one that's come out this decade. This one looks just as much "flag by numbers" as the old seal-on-blue-field

I respect where you're coming from, not everyone's going to be a fan of simplistic flags. But you have to admit, at least the new Minnesota flag will be easy to recognize, the old one is hard to identify in the wind.

I don't hate it as much, but I do think it's a little bland. It suffered death by committee. It relies too much on modern design sensibilities in my opinion, especially with the colors. Give it the star on the original flag it was modified from and change the colors to something more flag-like and I think I'd grow to like it. Regardless though it's a massive improvement over the seal slapped onto a field.

I personally like the colours, the use of two shades of blue is pretty unique and looks nice IMO.

Take Milwaukee's 1975 redesign proposal for example:

In 1975 it probably looked great to people, and it does meet the flag design rules mostly. But today it looks terrible. Dated and garish. The same is gonna happen with all these Reddit vexillology vector-looking flags in 30-40 years I feel.

It's hard for me to image that flag ever looking good :-D. I also find it hard to believe the "Reddit" flags will look "garish" in the future. Bland or boring maybe, but not garish.

The other thing I hate is when people follow the flag design "rules" religiously. They're not rules, they're guidelines, and the flag bible they get the rules from even says so itself. You can depart from them if well-executed and done with meaning. California's is excellent even though it uses text because of how iconic and historic it is. "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" looks back to not only its history but the cultural status of California today.

In terms of culture, the economy, and progress it's been the trendsetter for the rest of the country and is thus somewhat independent from the rest of America in that regard, symbolized by "REPUBLIC" on the flag. It very often goes its own way as a state.

Agreed, people can obsess over the guidelines too much. I'm usually not a fan of text, but I'll admit California's flag pulls it off, and the flag has a nice balance of being a bit more complex than many of the "Reddit" flags, but not excessively so like the state seals on blue bedsheets.

Another flag that doesn't strictly follow the guidelines that I like is the Qing dynasty flag (1889-1992)*:

It visually has a lot of detail/complexity, but the concept is simple: a dragon, a red circle, and a field of yellow. It's distinctive and easy to recognize from afar, both crucial for a good flag.

* the triangular version is also cool.

GaryV

Quote from: 7/8 on December 22, 2023, 11:25:21 AM
States with great flags feature it everywhere (ex: MD,

Maryland's flag looks like it was made from horse jockeys' discarded silks.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: 7/8 on December 22, 2023, 10:58:29 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 21, 2023, 11:49:28 PM

This is excellent, I can see this being a popular flag! Did you make this?
I blatantly stole it off Reddit, but I can see why you'd think I made it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TXtoNJ

To this point, if Oklahoma removed the text from its flag, and then bisected it using red (or added a red fess with white borders), it would be a top 5 flag even though it has a complicated symbol in the middle.

CtrlAltDel

Then, there's this, the flag of Venice:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Genghixiani

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 22, 2023, 07:04:03 PM
Then, there's this, the flag of Venice:

Venice's flag is both horrendous and beautiful at the same time.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

froggie

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hobsini2

U actually like how some state flags look. They should be identifiable right away. And some of them are just the state seal on a background.
To me, the good flags are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_the_United_States
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wyoming.
I do like the new designs for Utah and Minnesota that go into effect in 2024.

Historical and proposed flags that I wish were still around because they were a good design (not because of what they represent):
Georgia 1879-1902
Kansas 1916-1917
Maine 1901-1909
Rhode Island 1882-1897
West Virginia 1905-1907

Even on the county and city level, there are some good ones.
Cook County, Illinois
Dallas County, Texas
Montgomery County, Maryland
Palm Beach County, Florida
Albquerque, NM
Anchorage, AK
Chicago, IL
Cincinnati, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Kansas City, MO
Miami, FL
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, FL
Phoenix, AZ
Pittsburgh, PA
Portland, OR
St Louis, MO
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.