Ruby Tuesday to close 95 locations in the next month

Started by jp the roadgeek, August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WR of USA

I recently visited the one in Concord, NH and it took an hour just to get the food. Service was incredibly slow, and the meal was quite pricy. The time it took for the food was unnaceptable, especially for those getting off the highway for a bite to eat. People have to keep traveling, and can't be halted because of slow service.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

jon daly

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/ruby-tuesday-close-95-locations-after-declining-fiscal-years-2015-2016-2400950

Used to eat there all the time in my travels about 15-20 years ago when it was a casual place with a Friday's type atmosphere.  Then they decided to get all upscale and pricey, and that turned me off.  Just saw they closed one not too far away from me in Enfield, CT last week (rough year for Enfield Square as it already lost its Macy's in January).  Was one of the few that had video trivia back in the day.

I almost never stop in Enfield these days although I've driven past it a few times on treks up north. I had no idea that the mall was doing that poorly. But I think that the era of the mall is passing.

abefroman329

Quote from: WR of USA on August 28, 2018, 09:28:38 AM
I recently visited the one in Concord, NH and it took an hour just to get the food. Service was incredibly slow, and the meal was quite pricy. The time it took for the food was unnaceptable, especially for those getting off the highway for a bite to eat. People have to keep traveling, and can't be halted because of slow service.
Yeah, we made one trip where my wife ordered a flatbread pizza with arugula on it, and it was served with the arugula done to a crisp. I don't know how it was supposed to be served, but even the manager was like "WTF"  when I pointed it out to him.

US71

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday 

My parents enjoyed Ruby Tuesday, but I was never imporessed
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TXtoNJ

This market segment simply doesn't exist anymore - the classic "missing middle" customer.

sparker

Thing 342

I think Ruby Tuesday is well good enough, but once their entrees started creeping into the mid-teens, we stopped going in favor of local joints with uniformly better food at lower prices.

Brandon

Um, you guys do realize that they closed 95 locations in 2016 and we're two years later after the OP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on August 28, 2018, 08:48:47 PM
I'm, you guys do realize that they closed 95 locations in 2016 and we're two years later after the OP.

*shrug*
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jon daly

Quote from: ET21 on August 29, 2018, 09:28:15 AM
I'm, you guys do realize that they closed 95 locations in 2016 and we're two years later after the OP.

*shrug*

If someone posted a new RT thread, wouldn't someone else point out that "it's been done?"

Brandon

Quote from: jon daly on August 29, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

*shrug*

If someone posted a new RT thread, wouldn't someone else point out that "it's been done?"

Indeed; however, there was only one location that anyone posted as closing afterward, and everyone is acting as if it's 2016 all over again without reading the initial date of the OP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jp the roadgeek

As the OP, even I was shocked that this was revived.  That being said, I haven't been to a Ruby's since, and about half in my area that used to exist have closed.  The one in my town is now an IHOP, but the very first that opened in my area in 1993 is still up and running.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

I ate at Ruby Tuesday - the one outside of Altoona, PA, exactly once some years ago.  Was less than impressed with the service and the food.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2018, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: jon daly on August 29, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

*shrug*

Indeed; however, there was only one location that anyone posted as closing afterward, and everyone is acting as if it's 2016 all over again without reading the initial date of the OP.

Re-ignited the talk on a popular subject. Better than creating a new one, re-used and recycled old forum bytes ;)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

PHLBOS

In general, if there's any new applicable updates regarding a topic in a dormant thread; I usually use the term Update or Thread Bump at the beginning of my new post.  Such clarifies that one is not re-hashing old info.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Flint1979

There's still a Ruby Tuesday in Midland, MI about 25 miles from where I live.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 04, 2018, 11:45:58 PM
Cadillac, MI still has Ruby Tuesday as well. Oddly, Cadillac has never had Applebee's, while the much smaller community of West Branch does have one.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on September 05, 2018, 08:46:37 PM
Cadillac, MI still has Ruby Tuesday as well. Oddly, Cadillac has never had Applebee's, while the much smaller community of West Branch does have one.
That is kind of strange that Cadillac doesn't have Applebee's and it's in a wide open area where there are no other towns with an Applebee's nearby either. West Branch has two exits off I-75 I've seen them pop up at highway interchanges where other chain restaurants are around like Birch Run and Clio both have Applebee's two exits 5 miles apart. Then Pierson Road use to have one but that one closed. Gaylord has both Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday but Gaylord seems to be the city where everything is located in that part of the state since it's the biggest city on I-75 in northern Michigan until you get to Sault Ste. Marie which has an Applebee's too.

I know some people don't like Applebee's but I actually like it and you just have to know what to order I guess. It's a nice chain since they have locations pretty much everywhere.

nyratk1

I've eaten semi-recently at a nearby Ruby Tuesday but that's only because of two things: a free burger combo on my birthday and it's a short walk away from where I work. Haven't had any horror stories but it's quieter than it used to be there.

Flint1979

Quote from: nyratk1 on September 05, 2018, 11:47:57 PM
I've eaten semi-recently at a nearby Ruby Tuesday but that's only because of two things: a free burger combo on my birthday and it's a short walk away from where I work. Haven't had any horror stories but it's quieter than it used to be there.
I would eat at a Ruby Tuesday. I don't even know what their menu is like so I would get something different at least.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2018, 11:31:19 PM
That is kind of strange that Cadillac doesn't have Applebee's and it's in a wide open area where there are no other towns with an Applebee's nearby either. West Branch has two exits off I-75 I've seen them pop up at highway interchanges where other chain restaurants are around like Birch Run and Clio both have Applebee's two exits 5 miles apart. Then Pierson Road use to have one but that one closed. Gaylord has both Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday but Gaylord seems to be the city where everything is located in that part of the state since it's the biggest city on I-75 in northern Michigan until you get to Sault Ste. Marie which has an Applebee's too.

I know some people don't like Applebee's but I actually like it and you just have to know what to order I guess. It's a nice chain since they have locations pretty much everywhere.
Gaylord is the community in Michigan that was helped the most by a freeway coming to town, while Adrian and Manistee are the two that come to mind right away of being screwed over by the lack of freeway access

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on September 08, 2018, 10:32:57 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2018, 11:31:19 PM

Gaylord is the community in Michigan that was helped the most by a freeway coming to town, while Adrian and Manistee are the two that come to mind right away of being screwed over by the lack of freeway access
I guess Gaylord being in the middle of everything up that way helps too and it's twice the size of Grayling. And plus they have both Meijer and Walmart.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.