News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 14, 2020, 01:41:01 AM
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/proposed-bill-would-increase-interstate-speed-limit

What do you guys think about raising the speed limit to 75 mph on Illinois's interstates?

From the article:
Quote from: NewsChannelABC20
Senate Bill 2564 would raise the speed limits from 55 mph to 60 mph on non-interstate highways and Senate Bill 2565 which would raise the speed limits from 70 mph to 75 mph on interstates outside urban areas.
What the crap is SB2564 saying? Is that for 2 Lane State Highways? Illinois already has 65 MPH Speed Limits on 4 Lane Rural Divided Highways - IL 13 and US 45 4-Lane sections in Southeastern IL immediately come to mind

Heck, I would be fine with 65-70 MPH speed limits on rural 2-lane state highways. Having driven plenty of straight, flat asphalt 2-lane highways in IL, 55 MPH is severely under-posted. Obviously, lower speed limits should apply when approaching and entering towns on said rural highways

machias

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 14, 2020, 07:26:41 AM
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/proposed-bill-would-increase-interstate-speed-limit

What do you guys think about raising the speed limit to 75 mph on Illinois's interstates?

From the article:
Senate Bill 2564 would raise the speed limits from 55 mph to 60 mph on non-interstate highways and Senate Bill 2565 which would raise the speed limits from 70 mph to 75 mph on interstates outside urban areas.
What the crap is SB2564 saying? Is that for 2 Lane State Highways? Illinois already has 65 MPH Speed Limits on 4 Lane Rural Divided Highways - IL 13 and US 45 4-Lane sections in Southeastern IL immediately come to mind

Heck, I would be fine with 65-70 MPH speed limits on rural 2-lane state highways. Having driven plenty of straight, flat asphalt 2-lane highways in IL, 55 MPH is severely under-posted. Obviously, lower speed limits should apply when approaching and entering towns on said rural highways

Being a fairly new resident of Illinois, when I'm out driving on the prairie I'm always wondering why the two-lane rural roads are posted at 55 MPH. They could easily be 70 MPH without any issues.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: machias on February 14, 2020, 08:05:15 AM

From the article:

Being a fairly new resident of Illinois, when I'm out driving on the prairie I'm always wondering why the two-lane rural roads are posted at 55 MPH. They could easily be 70 MPH without any issues.

No brainer to me, raise it to 75 MPH, and it should be 60-65 on two lane rural roads!

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ChiMilNet on February 14, 2020, 09:07:39 AM

From the article:

No brainer to me, raise it to 75 MPH, and it should be 60-65 on two lane rural roads!
Prior to the gas crisis of the early 70s, a lot of rural two lane roads were 65.

edwaleni

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 14, 2020, 01:25:18 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on February 14, 2020, 09:07:39 AM

From the article:

Prior to the gas crisis of the early 70s, a lot of rural two lane roads were 65.

Interesting because for the first time in a long time, there is a small trend upward in death by crashes.  While the speed zealots say its rising speed limits, real research is showing causes around driver distraction, namely cell phones.

kphoger

From the article:

65 mph is currently only allowed on highways "that are designated by the Department, have at least 4 lanes of traffic, and have a separation between the roadways moving in opposite directions" [625 ILCS 5/11-601 (d)].  Failing any of those criteria, the highest allowable speed limit is 55 mph.  That, for example, is why the four-lane section of US-45 between Harrisburg and Muddy cannot presently be 65 mph:  there is no "separation between the roadways".

The text of SB-2564 would change the 55 to 60.  Therefore, not only would regular two-lane highways be allowed to bump up to 60 mph, but so would single-roadway four-lane highways like the section of US-45 I mentioned.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Couple items in IDOT's current Professional Transportation Bulletin stand out:

* Item 4:  Westbound I-190 from Bessie Coleman Drive to I-90 & I-190 Design Corridor Management, Phase II Engineering Services

* Item 13:   IL 120 from west of IL 83 to east of US 45, Phase I Engineering Project, Lake County

* Item 20:  US Route 20 at Shales Parkway, Phase I Engineering.
QuotePhase  I  engineering  services  are  required  for  all  work  associated  with  the  completion  of  preliminary  engineering  and environmental  studies  for  the  installation  of  an  interchange  of  US  Route 20 (US 20) at Shales Parkway.   US 20 at Shales is currently an intersection controlled by a traffic signal.   The study area is expected to encompass US 20 from west of Villa Street and to east of Illinois Route 59.

* Item 28:  I-80/I-74 Interchange Structure Replacement with Ramp Modifications South of Colona, Phase I/II Engineering.  The note on Value Engineering (required for projects over a certain size - $25 million currently?) makes this sound like more than simply replacing the bridge.

* Item 38 - FAP  653  (IL  18)  over  the  Illinois  River,  Phase  I  and  II  Engineering Services

* Item 63: I-57/64  Interchange  at  IL  15,   Phase  I/II  Engineering  Services
QuotePhase   I   and   II   Engineering   Services   are   required   to   perform   work   associated   for   the   reconstruction  of  the  I-57/64  Interchange at  IL  15  in  Mt.  Vernon,  Jefferson  County.    The interchange type has yet to be determined.

There's also a listing of possible upcoming proposals.

inkyatari

Just drove IL-47 from Morris en route to West Dundee recently, for the first time in a long time, and imagine my displeasure in seeing that a SECOND unnecessary roundabout was placed on the route.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ET21

Slowly trying to get US-20 converted into the actual Elgin-O'Hare
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on February 25, 2020, 12:09:34 AM
the website is down

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 25, 2020, 12:11:09 AM
the website is down

Not sure what you mean by website is down? I'm just noting the fact that between the Tollway and these studies, we're closing that gap between the Elgin bypass and the west end of IL-390
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

edwaleni

It's not just Shales Parkway, its Sayer Road, Lambert Road,  frontage road access to Monarch and Horizon Drive, a cemetery, and a public works garage (Streamwood).

Lambert Road will be required to have a frontage road access for fire safety purposes if no ramps are made.

This will probably force a new bridge over the CN to accommodate the planned widening.

Shales Parkway south, actually Bluff City Boulevard, is connected to several major industrial activities with large trucks. Copart Auto recycle, a quarry, and others all the way to Bartlett Road, which has weight restrictions, forcing most heavy trucks up to US 20. If this gets approved to move forward, it will make a great update to the EOH thread.

Revive 755

Early work (temp signals and temp lighting) has started for the widening of Lake Cook Road through the Buffalo Grove - IL 83 - Weiland Road cluster.

(posted in the correct thread this time).

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 29, 2020, 11:14:16 PM
Early work (temp signals and temp lighting) has started for the widening of Lake Cook Road through the Buffalo Grove - IL 83 - Weiland Road cluster.

(posted in the correct thread this time).

Wasn't that supposed to have started last year? Either way, it's sorely needed, though that will be a mess until that is done. I used to drive through there daily, and traffic was always a mess.

Crash_It

From the article:

What 2 lane roads are truly flat in IL? Because I haven't yet driven on any.

Georgia

Quote from: Crash_It on March 02, 2020, 08:41:01 AM

From the article:

IL-1 from Paris north is pretty flat. 

paulthemapguy

Take a look at US136 in central Illinois.  From just west of Rantoul, west to Mason County, there isn't a single noticeable curve.  I'm talking horizontal curves, of course, but a lack of topography is generally allows roads to continue so straight for so long.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Revive 755

Plenty of flat roads in Illinois.  Not that being flat should always be a qualification for posted above 55, as it doesn't stop other states.  Nor does it stop a lot of traffic from routinely driving two lane roads in Illinois at 65 or more today.

Two lane state highways in Illinois used to be 65 before everything got messed up in the 1970's.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Georgia on March 02, 2020, 09:00:51 AM

From the article:

IL 1 actually was the road I had in mind, thinking a 70 MPH speed limit would be fine for a good chunk of its mileage. I have made the Danville-Kankakee run multiple times. Heck, even Norris City to I-64/Grayville is pretty flat and straight for Southern IL standards...but thats a little looser than Central IL standards on straight and flat

Crash_It

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 03, 2020, 12:03:56 AM

From the article:

Heck, even Norris City to I-64/Grayville is pretty flat and straight for Southern IL standards...but thats a little looser than Central IL standards on straight and flat

Interstates are flat intentionally as they are usually routed along the flattest terrain in any given area. 

edwaleni

Quote from: Crash_It on March 04, 2020, 08:33:51 AM

From the article:

Heck, even Norris City to I-64/Grayville is pretty flat and straight for Southern IL standards...but thats a little looser than Central IL standards on straight and flat

Interstates are flat intentionally as they are usually routed along the flattest terrain in any given area.

This is somewhat incorrect.

Some DOT's in order to save money in urban based interstate builds would not elevate the entire highway. So within a distance of 5-10 miles you could have a very up and down highway that is most definitely not flat even though the surrounding ground level is.

US71

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2020, 10:04:59 AM

From the article:

This is somewhat incorrect.

Some DOT's in order to save money in urban based interstate builds would not elevate the entire highway. So within a distance of 5-10 miles you could have a very up and down highway that is most definitely not flat even though the surrounding ground level is.

If memory serves correct, they are limited to a certain percentage of grade.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

Probably not true, otherwise there would be more interstates in floodplains.  The reroute of I-44 west of Rolla, MO may be the best example.  The new route has more hills than the previously flatter alignment with 55 mph curves, which was next to what Google Maps calls 'Arlington Outer Road'.

ozarkman417

Can't be too hard to have a flat interstate there, given Illinois is the second flattest state, behind Florida.

In other news, a plane crash closed I-55 around MM 126 due to a plane crash that killed three. They have been identified. Much of 55 is flat and straight in IL, so it makes for a good emergency runway, if you don't take in to account the cars. STL Post-Dispatch story

Crash_It

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 04, 2020, 08:01:03 PM
Can't be too hard to have a flat interstate there, given Illinois is the second flattest state, behind Florida.

This is false, Louisiana and Mississippi are definitely flatter, both those states have maximum elevations that are lower than the mean elevation here in IL. They also probably have no steep grades like what is here in IL.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.