News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 19, 2020, 02:38:43 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2020, 07:42:36 PM
The road is still there, trip-point is still there, but the signage has changed

It's no longer 20/43, just 20

That same sign was there yesterday. I have video evidence and just consulted it!

They must have missed one.

The "triplets" disappeared around 2017
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on April 10, 2020, 01:13:01 PM
https://www.kmbc.com/article/plans-to-replace-the-buck-oneil-bridge-hit-snag/32022939
KANSAS CITY, Mo. –

The plans to replace the Buck O'Neil Bridge are stalled for now.

Economic uncertainty is one of them, just because the city and the region are taking a serious hit.

"So before we are signing onto contracts and that sort of thing, we want to make sure the money is there," Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said.

It is estimated that it will cost $250 million to replace the bridge. It breaks down like this: $100 million from the state, which owns the bridge; $60 million from Kansas City; $40 million from the Missouri side of the region, through the Mid-America Regional Council; and $24 million from Washington, D.C.

The project is short $26 million. Two alternatives include, having the city and the state split the difference, or see if Washington, D.C., has more infrastructure money in a COVID-19 stimulus bill.

"That's the sort of thing where you would have the Buck O'Neil Bridge project ready for, and as, a shovel-ready project," Lucas said.

That is an idea and not a hard plan.

This is a complex project. There are railroad tracks on two sides of the bridge and then there is the Missouri River.

The plan is to have the new bridge connect to Interstate 35. Despite cutbacks, MoDOT has its bridge money in a special account. A lobbyist told the City Council Thursday that means, it is "about as solid as you could make it."

So right now, it's a question of details. But if the delay continues, it could become a serious question.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more projects being delayed since people aren't driving as much. This bridge and the I-70 Rocheport bridge are the next two major bridges slated for replacement.

I went to the project site for the Buck O'Neil Bridge and they have posted an updated Draft Procurement Schedule.

Updated Draft Procurement Schedule:

Project Advertisement:  May 19th, 2020
RFQ/Industry meeting:  June 19th, 2020
SOQ shortlist:  July 2020
RFP:  August 2020
Award:  February 2021

Hopefully they will be able to award this next February and it won't get delayed any further.

There's nothing on the project site, but I found an article about the Recommended Alternative, which is the Central Alternative.

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ozarkman417

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 10, 2020, 12:12:06 PM
According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.
This project appears to have been removed from the bid lettings. Anything new from "Roamin Rich", US 71?

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 24, 2020, 05:00:03 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 10, 2020, 12:12:06 PM
According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.
This project appears to have been removed from the bid lettings. Anything new from "Roamin Rich", US 71?

The project is on "hold". 66'ers have managed to persuade MoDOT  NOT to destroy the bridge and to turn it over to them to maintain. They are still working out the details, so there's no "victory lap" as of yet, but it looks promising.

mvak36

Got this in my email today:

MoDOT Kansas City Completes I-435 South Loop Link Design/Build Project

JACKSON COUNTY — MoDOT Kansas City has completed the Interstate 435 South Loop Link design/build project. This project has completely rebuilt more than three miles of pavement through one of Kansas City's top three regional commuter corridors, added an additional lane in both eastbound and westbound directions, replaced and rehabilitated five bridges. This is a heavily traveled route that winds from the northern part of the metro southbound, eventually curving west to the Kansas state line and exceeds daily traffic counts of 150,000 vehicles a day.

The Radmacher-Wilson team that was awarded the project understood that minimizing the impacts to the public during peak travel hours was a large project goal. The key to its success was all about shifting traffic. The team built new lanes along the outside of the existing footprint, then shifted traffic to and away from where they needed to work next, completing the bridge work in place simultaneously. The crew was able to maintain four lanes through most morning and afternoon peak travel hours since breaking ground in spring 2018.

MoDOT's method of delivering large-scale projects through a design-build format is relatively new. Design-build includes hiring a consultant to complete design and construction under one contract. MoDOT provides project goals, budget and schedule. This technique is proven to significantly save time and money. Some other very successful design-build projects include the Christopher S. Bond Bridge over the Missouri River and the Safe and Sound Bridge Improvement Project which replaced more than 800 bridges under one contract. The next anticipated Design-Build contract is the U.S. 169 Buck O'Neil Bridge.

I'm glad this project's over. I use part of this stretch for my daily commute (before the quarantine). IMO, it was managed pretty well. I didn't have to deal with too many delays and the extra lanes are nice.

STLmapboy

https://www.kbia.org/post/maryland-heights-residents-call-rename-road-bearing-slave-trader-s-name

Apparently some MD Heights residents in Greater St Louis want to rename Dorsett Rd because it's named after a slave trader (never knew that). It probably won't happen, but if it did could the Midland Blvd designation found in Overland (and currently ending at Lindbergh) be extended west?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

skluth

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 14, 2020, 02:01:24 PM
https://www.kbia.org/post/maryland-heights-residents-call-rename-road-bearing-slave-trader-s-name

Apparently some MD Heights residents in Greater St Louis want to rename Dorsett Rd because it's named after a slave trader (never knew that). It probably won't happen, but if it did could the Midland Blvd designation found in Overland (and currently ending at Lindbergh) be extended west?

Midland actually runs parallel north of Dorsett between Lindbergh and the Beltway. There's also the issue of Old Dorsett in Maryland Heights.

sparker

Quote from: skluth on June 22, 2020, 06:13:58 PM

Midland actually runs parallel north of Dorsett between Lindbergh and the Beltway. There's also the issue of Old Dorsett in Maryland Heights.

At the risk of being called to task for "making light" of a now-sore subject, the road name could remain the same, but the dedication changed to honor NFL's Tony Dorsett!

STLmapboy

Best to leave it as it is, I guess. We could otherwise end up with a cluster like Lackland and Fee Fee (discontinuous, disjointed)
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

skluth

Quote from: sparker on June 23, 2020, 02:37:56 AM

At the risk of being called to task for "making light" of a now-sore subject, the road name could remain the same, but the dedication changed to honor NFL's Tony Dorsett!

TD has no connection to STL and they may not want to name a road after a living person considering the fate of the Mark McGwire Freeway. They could drop the second "T" and call it Dorset after the region in England. No real connection either but there's not much love for former Dallas Cowboys in the area.

sparker

Quote from: skluth on June 23, 2020, 06:08:42 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 23, 2020, 02:37:56 AM

TD has no connection to STL and they may not want to name a road after a living person considering the fate of the Mark McGwire Freeway. They could drop the second "T" and call it Dorset after the region in England. No real connection either but there's not much love for former Dallas Cowboys in the area.

All well & good -- but I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic/ironic here.  In retrospect, I'll give myself a D+ for that effort!

STLmapboy

Video of St Louis downtown in 1973, just as the decay was starting to build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ujLPtwZVg

The streets are busier, and most traffic lights are mounted on yellow poles on the side of the road with visors of varying lengths. A few trombone mounts are seen. The lights are still black-fronted, but with yellow backs.

St Louis 1963: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQ9J5BCsx4
Not as many lights but still some side mounts, and a very early overhead mount at the Bevo Windmill at 3:18.

I think I heard Revive 755 say somewhere that STL signals used to have blue backplates. Does anyone have examples of those?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

^ I thought it was the back of the signals?  Not that I can find any in Streetview, but there are more green mast arms than I recall.

I'm also finding a lot more of the non-MUTCD compliant 'left only on left arrow' signs with four or five section heads.  Example.

ozarkman417

There is a new virtual public meeting regarding the replacement bridge for Route 86 over Table Rock Lake. It started July 13 and ends July 27. The original truss bridge was built in 1956, while the new bridge should be complete by early 2022.

https://www.modot.org/long-creek-bridge-project

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 16, 2020, 06:14:46 PM
There is a new virtual public meeting regarding the replacement bridge for Route 86 over Table Rock Lake. It started July 13 and ends July 27. The original truss bridge was built in 1956, while the new bridge should be complete by early 2022.

A little piece of me dies whenever a steel truss bridge in Taney County goes bye-bye.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on July 17, 2020, 10:09:46 AM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 16, 2020, 06:14:46 PM

A little piece of me dies whenever a steel truss bridge in Taney County goes bye-bye.

I feel that way about nearly any steel truss.

Scott5114

On my way to work I pass by a house with a driveway that goes over a pony truss. If I was rich I'd build my mansion on a property with a creek or something just so I could build a steel through truss over it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2020, 01:44:29 PM
On my way to work I pass by a house with a driveway that goes over a pony truss. If I was rich I'd build my mansion on a property with a creek or something just so I could build a steel through truss over it.
In a rich area on the east side of Springfield, someone has not only an artificial lake, but has a covered wooden bridge over it.

There are still a few trusses in Taney County, most of the ones I know about are east of Forsyth on U.S 160 (the Route 76 truss was replaced a few years ago). Further east in Ozark County, some historic bridges were wiped out in 2017 by a flood.

US71

There is a private covered bridge near Lebanon and another on MO 86 near Racine

skluth

I still follow MODOT on Facebook from when I lived in St Louis. This was copied from their FB page today:

For today's #WorkZoneWednesday, we're traveling to the northeast part of the state along U.S. Route 61, Avenue of the Saints, near Troy in Lincoln County.

This week, northbound and southbound traffic will be shifted onto the new Cuivre River Bridges and adjoining roadway. U.S. 61 in this area will remain reduced to one lane throughout the project, which is scheduled for completion at the end of this year.

The project includes the construction of northbound and southbound bridges over the Cuivre River in addition to intersection safety improvements at Route KK, which were completed at the beginning of the project. 

Please slow down and pay attention through the work zone for your safety and the safety of our workers. And know before you go by checking traveler.modot.org. #BUPD

I drove US 61 whenever I visited my brother in Minneapolis along with hearing traffic reports that included this area on the local news stations, so I know how busy this highway gets.

STLmapboy

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 18, 2020, 02:15:31 PM
In a rich area on the east side of Springfield, someone has not only an artificial lake, but has a covered wooden bridge over it.

Holy shit. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1889151,-93.2064127,347m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en/
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 29, 2020, 05:56:18 PM

Holy shit. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1889151,-93.2064127,347m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en/

While that's not their only driveway, it appears the other entrance uses this simple wooden bridge.  I bet truck drivers say a prayer before arriving with furniture.  Can you imagine delivering a skid dumpster to that house for a renovation project?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2020, 10:04:39 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 29, 2020, 05:56:18 PM

While that's not their only driveway, it appears the other entrance uses this simple wooden bridge.  I bet truck drivers say a prayer before arriving with furniture.  Can you imagine delivering a skid dumpster to that house for a renovation project?

I've seen a number of those in the Neosho-Anderson area.

https://goo.gl/maps/LjMZAJ19EdiXGhab7

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/20106
MoDOT Takes the Next Step to Building a New Buck O'Neil Bridge

JACKSON/CLAY COUNTIES — After an extensive and exhaustive evaluation process, the Missouri Department of Transportation has developed a list of qualified design-build teams to compete for the contract to build a new U.S. Route 169 Buck O'Neil Bridge. Each of the teams come from a diverse mix of experienced local and national companies who submitted exceptional proposals.

"We are excited about the interest we have received in the project. Five teams have been selected to compete for the contract to oversee the design and construction of this bridge project,"  said MoDOT Project Director Mary Miller.

The following teams (in no particular order) were selected to further develop their proposals on the project:

American Bridge/Parsons Team
    Lunda Construction Co.
    Massman-Clarkson, a joint venture
    Traylor Ames Joint Venture
    The Walsh Design-Build Team

Design-build projects combine both the design and construction phases into one contract. The selected contract team completes the design and construction in parallel instead of in succession, which saves time and resources.

From this group, the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission will select a best-value proposal from a design-build team to deliver the project. The selection is expected in February 2021, with construction beginning later that year.

The John Jordan "Buck"  O'Neil Memorial Bridge (formerly the Broadway Bridge), is a triple arch bridge carrying U.S. 169 over the Missouri River, and serves as a key regional connection between downtown Kansas City and communities north of the river.

While safe, the bridge is nearing the end of its projected lifespan. Opened in 1956, the bridge recently celebrated its 60th year of operation.

Since that time, neighborhoods and communities on both sides of the bridge have changed significantly and now nearly 50,000 vehicles use the bridge daily.

"Thank you to everyone who expressed interest and put in the time and effort to deliver a SOQ for consideration,"  Miller added.

For more information on the U.S. Route 169 Buck O'Neil Bridge, please visit the project webpage available at: https://www.modot.org/buck-oneil-bridge-project

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/20075

MHTC Selects Team to Deliver $21.3 Million Bootheel Bridge Bundle Project
Robertson Contractors Team to Improve Bridges Across Southeast Missouri

SIKESTON — Southeast Missouri travelers can soon expect to see more than 15 bridge improvement projects coming to fruition through the Bootheel Bridge Bundle design-build project. During today's Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission meeting, the Robertson Contractors Team, headquartered in Poplar Bluff, Missouri was selected to design and construct the $21.3 million project.

The Robertson Contractors Team is comprised of Robertson Contractors, Inc., Horner & Shifrin and Penzel Construction Company, Inc.

"The purpose of the Bootheel Bridge Bundle project is to repair or replace 15 bridges on the Missouri Department of Transportation's asset management plan for the Southeast District,"  said Project Director Benji Philpot. "Due to the innovative nature of design-build projects, we also identified 10 more bridges as potential add-ons to increase the value of the project."

Contractor teams then submitted proposals detailing their plans for the 15 primary bridges and selected potential add-on bridges to also address.

Philpot explained reviewing proposals from potential design-build teams was a rigorous process. The Bootheel Bridge Bundle team evaluated the use of innovation to maximize the number of bridges addressed, quality of proposed structures, traffic impacts, construction speed and scheduling and safety improvements.

"Thank you to the teams who put in the time and effort to deliver a proposal for consideration,"  he added. "Robertson Contractors' proposal was deemed to be of the best apparent value to taxpayers based on the project goals."

The team's proposal includes improving 17 bridge locations, with construction beginning as early as this fall. Completion of the design-build project is anticipated on or before Dec. 31, 2023.

Thirteen bridges in the Bootheel Bridge Bundle are included in Gov. Mike Parson's $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.

For more information on the Bootheel Bridge Bundle, please visit the project webpage available at https://www.modot.org/bootheel-bridge-bundle or call MoDOT's Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.