News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridge Collapse on I-25 North of Pueblo

Started by zzcarp, October 17, 2023, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzcarp

A horrible incident happened Sunday when a coal train derailed over I-25, partially collapsing the railroad bridge and killing a semi-truck driver who was under the bridge at the time of collapse. It's still closed two days later as the NTSB is investigating before the cleanup can begin.

QuoteThe BNSF Railway train was passing across an I-25 bridge when the derailment happened about two-and-a-half miles north of the Pueblo city limits. Between six and seven cars got off track and some fell to the northbound lanes of the interstate below, spilling large amounts of coal and destroying the truck. Part of the bridge collapsed.

Many hours after the derailment, crumpled train cars could be seen piled up on top of one another and crews were trying to dig out the large mounds of coal on the roadway. Heavy construction equipment was brought in to help with the effort.

The highway has been closed in both directions ever since the accident. Drivers were getting around the blockage by using Highway 115 and and Highway 50. Commercial vehicles were asked to use Overton Road instead because Highway 115 has lane restrictions for trucks.

Marc Sallinger, a local reporter, just posted on Twitter:

QuoteNTSB believes a broken rail caused train to derail, killing a truck driver under the bridge

The broken rail caused the derailment which caused the bridge to collapse, NTSB says

Investigators trying to figure out why warning systems did not alert the crew about the rail

Pictures and videos are at the links above.
So many miles and so many roads

davewiecking

When I first read about this on Sunday, the state was saying the bridge was owned by the BNSF, but the railroad denied it was theirs. I hope someone has figured that out by now. Pity bridgehunter.com is such a mess at the moment.

Bobby5280

As I said in the main Colorado thread: holy shit. It's eerie watching that aerial video of the accident site. That part of I-25 is very familiar; I drive thru that location when traveling from Oklahoma to the Colorado Springs area to visit family. The railroad bridge stands out as well as several very sub-standard "on-ramps" and "off-ramps" that are damned near at-grade hard left and hard right turns.

rickmastfan67

will_e_777

if they are initially saying the cause of the accident was a broken rail, why were there not stop and red approach signals coming up on that block, is that dark territory?  or did the train going over the rail cause it to break?
Rocky Mountain man.

kalvado

Quote from: will_e_777 on October 18, 2023, 10:08:41 AM
if they are initially saying the cause of the accident was a broken rail, why were there not stop and red approach signals coming up on that block, is that dark territory?  or did the train going over the rail cause it to break?
well,
Quote from: zzcarp on October 17, 2023, 02:40:01 PM
QuoteInvestigators trying to figure out why warning systems did not alert the crew about the rail

zzcarp

Southbound I-25 will partially reopen today, with one northbound lane planned to reopen tomorrow. From the Denver ComPost

QuoteSouthbound Interstate 25 north of Pueblo will reopen this afternoon after a fatal train derailment and bridge collapse on Sunday closed the roadway in both directions for three days.

Gov. Jared Polis announced in a news release and on social media just before 1 p.m. that southbound I-25 will reopen this afternoon.

Colorado Department of Transportation crews are working to make avaiable at least one lane of northbound I-25 by Thursday evening, according to state officials.

Governor Polis also visited the site and posted pictures on Twitter.
So many miles and so many roads

abqtraveler

Quote from: zzcarp on October 18, 2023, 04:31:42 PM
Southbound I-25 will partially reopen today, with one northbound lane planned to reopen tomorrow. From the Denver ComPost

QuoteSouthbound Interstate 25 north of Pueblo will reopen this afternoon after a fatal train derailment and bridge collapse on Sunday closed the roadway in both directions for three days.

Gov. Jared Polis announced in a news release and on social media just before 1 p.m. that southbound I-25 will reopen this afternoon.

Colorado Department of Transportation crews are working to make avaiable at least one lane of northbound I-25 by Thursday evening, according to state officials.

It looks like that railroad overpass was in a heavily deteriorated state before the derailment and collapse, which begs the question: did a collapse of the bridge cause the derailment? Or did the derailment cause the collapse?  Taking a look at the GSV of this overpass from last month shows how much the overpass has deteriorated, with the west abutment crumbling to the point where water is pouring through the gaps and cracks in the abutment wall. I'm curious as to whether the west abutment failed, causing the collapse and derailment.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3882262,-104.6197,3a,90y,262.94h,110.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syrDwCugYZ_NZO0qYKIjMlw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

davewiecking

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 19, 2023, 03:50:38 PM

It looks like that railroad overpass was in a heavily deteriorated state before the derailment and collapse, which begs the question: did a collapse of the bridge cause the derailment? Or did the derailment cause the collapse?  Taking a look at the GSV of this overpass from last month shows how much the overpass has deteriorated, with the west abutment crumbling to the point where water is pouring through the gaps and cracks in the abutment wall. I'm curious as to whether the west abutment failed, causing the collapse and derailment.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3882262,-104.6197,3a,90y,262.94h,110.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syrDwCugYZ_NZO0qYKIjMlw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Nice catch, but the Denver Post article linked above includes a State Senator's Xeet that the bridge did not play a role in the derailment. Elsewhere the Post mentions that the track had been inspected hours before the derailment. And that BNSF will take the lead in the bridge rebuilding, so apparently they decided it was theirs. We'll see whether they need to rebuild the abutment, and if so, is the other half safe?

Bobby5280

"Xeet?" Is that like out of that Lil John song? Y'all Xeet Xeet mother*******!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 19, 2023, 10:41:30 PM
"Xeet?" Is that like out of that Lil John song? Y'all Xeet Xeet mother*******!

No 'H' in John. Just Lil Jon & East Side Boyz (featuring Ying Yang Twins). (I have to comment as one of the few on this board that listens to rap.)

abqtraveler

Quote from: davewiecking on October 19, 2023, 09:32:17 PM

Nice catch, but the Denver Post article linked above includes a State Senator's Xeet that the bridge did not play a role in the derailment. Elsewhere the Post mentions that the track had been inspected hours before the derailment. And that BNSF will take the lead in the bridge rebuilding, so apparently they decided it was theirs. We'll see whether they need to rebuild the abutment, and if so, is the other half safe?
The east abutment and center pier have degradation as well, but not to the extent of that seen on the west abutment.  A common problem with concrete in the western United States is the soil conditions are conducive for alkali-silica reaction (ASR), which causes concrete to degrade much more rapidly than in areas that have soils with a low silica content.  The prevalence of ASR in the West is a big reason why most of your roads and highways are paved with asphalt instead of concrete in the western US.

The GSV image of that bridge shows telltale signs of ASR that has resulted in the deterioration of the abutments and center pier.  If BNSF were to completely reconstruct the railroad bridge (and they should), they would need to use a low alkali cement for the new abutments and center pier to ensure they have a long service life.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

kalvado

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 19, 2023, 11:17:32 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on October 19, 2023, 09:32:17 PM

The east abutment and center pier have degradation as well, but not to the extent of that seen on the west abutment.  A common problem with concrete in the western United States is the soil conditions are conducive for alkali-silica reaction (ASR), which causes concrete to degrade much more rapidly than in areas that have soils with a low silica content.  The prevalence of ASR in the West is a big reason why most of your roads and highways are paved with asphalt instead of concrete in the western US.

The GSV image of that bridge shows telltale signs of ASR that has resulted in the deterioration of the abutments and center pier.  If BNSF were to completely reconstruct the railroad bridge (and they should), they would need to use a low alkali cement for the new abutments and center pier to ensure they have a long service life.
Thanks for highlight.. I just spent 15 min reading on asr....

Stephane Dumas

I don't want to imagine what could have happened if that train used to transport natural gas or oil like the one who caused a big tragedy at Lac-Mégantic a decade ago instead of coal.

DJStephens

ASR (alkali silicate reactions) was the culprit of a majority of New Mexico's original Interstate concrete pavements failing well before their design lifespans.   That, and improper compaction of subgrades causing uneven slab settlement.   
I - 10 from Anthony to the AZ state line, was mostly originally concrete am of belief.  (164 miles) As well as a good part of I - 40.  Most of I - 25 was originally asphalt, with a few concrete sections - a small section just a few hundred yards N of the I -10 interchange, and within, and S of the Albuquerque city limits.   These sections must have had better design, and field testing, those being the sections of 10 & 25 in Las Cruces and the 25 section just S of Albuquerque.   Both those sections have been rubbilized or covered with asphalt by now.   

kalvado

Quote from: DJStephens on October 20, 2023, 03:22:23 PM
ASR (alkali silicate reactions) was the culprit of a majority of New Mexico's original Interstate concrete pavements failing well before their design lifespans.   That, and improper compaction of subgrades causing uneven slab settlement.   
I - 10 from Anthony to the AZ state line, was mostly originally concrete am of belief.  (164 miles) As well as a good part of I - 40.  Most of I - 25 was originally asphalt, with a few concrete sections - a small section just a few hundred yards N of the I -10 interchange, and within, and S of the Albuquerque city limits.   These sections must have had better design, and field testing, those being the sections of 10 & 25 in Las Cruces and the 25 section just S of Albuquerque.   Both those sections have been rubbilized or covered with asphalt by now.   
Funny thing... I certainly saw that crack pattern - but for the life of me I cannot remember where.... Definitely not in NM, although I've been there once.
Very educative read!

abqtraveler

Quote from: DJStephens on October 20, 2023, 03:22:23 PM
There's still a lot of I-40, particularly from Moriarty eastward to the Texas state line where they paved over the original concrete pavement after it had failed. One will notice the reflective cracking of the asphalt that coincides with the concrete joints of the underlying pavement. NMDOT is wrapping up a project on a 10-mile stretch of I-40 between Exit 230 (NM-3) and just east of Exit 239, where they completely tore up the existing pavement and underlying concrete, re-graded the roadbed, and placed a new asphalt surface.

In addition, there is also another stretch of I-25 from Bernalillo to San Felipe Pueblo that also has an asphalt surface laid over the original concrete pavement. Lastly, I recall in 2008, the stretch of I-25 through Raton was still the original concrete surface, which was rubblized and reconstructed with asphalt pavement around 2011.

rickmastfan67

davewiecking

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.