Regional Boards > Southeast

Mobile-Baldwin

(1/78) > >>

Alex:
Just discovered on a recent drive to Mobile County that the extension of Mobile County 39 (McDonald Road) south from U.S. 90 to Mobile County 19 is underway! A partially built folded-diamond interchange has sat for several years awaiting two of its missing ramps and overpasses above U.S. 90 and its parallel railroad.

Ramps will also be added on the south side of the railroad with Park Boulevard.

In other Mobile County news, highway signs are now appearing for County highways throughout western reaches of the county. The pentagons all appear to be 18" in size and appear randomly at intersections between two county roads. I first spotted them at Cottage Hill and Schillinger Roads, and recently found more at Mobile County 5 at U.S. 98 in Wilmer and Mobile County 11 and 33 west of Dawes.

Alex:
Even after ten years, signs posted at the Exit 27 interchange from Interstate 10 westbound still show U.S. 90 and 98 both traveling through the Bankhead Tunnel, even after the first signs went up in 1999 sending U.S. 90 northward. Additionally, doesn't this sort of relocation of U.S. 90 require AASHTO approval? Also I never saw any notes in the AASHTO log about the truncation of U.S. 43 northward to U.S. 90 at Bay Bridge Road.

Alex:
There are still several signs along Papermill Road that still indicate U.S. 90/98T being U.S. 90T/98T. Considering the vacuum leftover from the International Paper plant closure in 2000, I doubt they will be updated anytime soon.

An additional observation from today, mileposts appeared for Alabama 158 recently, and they still reference the original end at U.S. 45. Street signs are finally up at the at-grade intersections along the new road with the exception of the cross roads with Dogwood Trail.

I wrote ALDOT about three issues earlier this week, we'll see if I get a response. One was the lack of signage for the Perdido River at the Florida state line. The second was the lack of signs for both Saraland and Loxley's municipal boundaries along the respective Interstates, where local police are now patrolling. Thirdly, I wrote about the choice of Pascagoula as the control city of Interstate 10 west.

Alex:

--- Quote from: froggie on February 11, 2009, 07:26:50 PM ---What would you prefer for a control city?

--- End quote ---

Biloxi or New Orleans.

I've thought about writing DOTD about the use of Bay St. Louis along Interstate 10 east too. Can't hurt to ask.

FDOT did alter the Interstate 4 eastbound signage for the Florida 546 exit to U.S. 92 after I emailed them. They had it displayed simply as "U.S. 92", and added a "TO" next to U.S. 92 after I pointed it out.

Alex:
The initial widening of Zeigler only entails about a half-mile of roadway...

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/metro.ssf?/base/news/123434732539660.xml&coll=3
==

Zeigler Boulevard widening project moves forward
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
By DAN MURTAUGH
Staff Reporter

The Mobile City Council approved funding Tuesday for the early stages of a project to widen Zeigler Boulevard from Langan Park to west of University Boulevard.

The council voted 6-0 to put up $91,410 to acquire right-of-way for the project, which stretches from Forest Hill Drive to Athey Road.

The city's portion is 20 percent of the total cost of land acquisition. The state highway department will foot the bill for the remaining $367,000.

Norman Lumpkin, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, said the project is still being designed. The state won't begin purchasing land until the design is finished.

The total cost of the project will be about $11 million, according to documents from the Mobile Metropolitan Planning Organization.

Another project to widen Zeigler from Cody Road to Schillinger is also being designed, Lumpkin said. That project would cost about $5 million, according to planning organization documents.

City Councilwoman Gina Gregory, who represents the area that Zeigler goes through, said the state highway department will acquire land on the north side of the road so the project doesn't eat into Langan Park.

Gregory also said she's lobbying the highway department to put a sidewalk on one side of the road, and a bicycle path on the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version