News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on August 19, 2021, 09:48:06 PM
https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/FACT-SHEET-Polk-Parkway-Widening__MP-18_22.pdf

The Auburndale section of State Road 570 is finally being widened from its two lane super two to a fully divided freeway.   In addition a new interchange at Braddock Road is being constructed south of the existing Polk East Plaza.

Good for them, at least on the widening of the Polk Parkway. Now I'd like to know the exact year for the extension of Florida State Road 563 to Polk Parkway, because I'm working on another Wikipedia sandbox on the history of that route. I'd also like to see some evidence of a proposed southern extension of that route (possibly to SR 37, if that's the case).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

So basically the only thing that was interesting about FL 570 will be gone.

Avalanchez71

Glad I was able to drive SR 570 and see the super-2.

D-Dey65

I saw the super-2, and I don't mind it being widened. To do otherwise seems like such a waste. I did take pictures of it though, so the fact that it was one can still be preserved in historic record.

NE2

Sometime recently, signs pointing the way from 15 north to 50 west were changed from a big box on Robinson and Magnolia to a jughandle on Hillcrest and Shine.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

This muscle car dealership on FL 546 in Lakeland;
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0548341,-81.990654,3a,26.5y,354.11h,89.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1surLKV4ou9eiyElh4z_XTXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
it's a gas station and convenience store now.

On my recent day trip, I tried to get the road sign here, and I missed it.

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2021, 03:34:49 PM
Sometime recently, signs pointing the way from 15 north to 50 west were changed from a big box on Robinson and Magnolia to a jughandle on Hillcrest and Shine.
Well, that makes sense, since it's closer to 50. Although Shine has signs pointing in both directions on 50. It almost makes me think they're attempting the DeLand approach between US 17/92 and SR 40.

D-Dey65

Does everyone remember when I posted my discovery of the former truck weigh station on US 92 west of Lakeland? I think I may have discovered another one on US 17-92 in Haines City, and it's a used car lot now.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 26, 2021, 08:38:04 PM
Does everyone remember when I posted my discovery of the former truck weigh station on US 92 west of Lakeland? I think I may have discovered another one on US 17-92 in Haines City, and it's a used car lot now.

That looks like an old stretch of pavement on a former routing parallel to the railroad (CSXT, former Atlantic Coast Line).  If you look carefully, that old pavement and/or gravel is still visible along the edge of the railroad right-of-way all the way up until US-17/US-92 comes back over just north of Pomona Heights.  It actually looks like much of it is getting some backroad use starting at Shamrock Road (just north of Haines City), going up behind the industrial machine junkyard and ending there at the main junkyard complex.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 26, 2021, 10:03:18 PM
That looks like an old stretch of pavement on a former routing parallel to the railroad (CSXT, former Atlantic Coast Line).  If you look carefully, that old pavement and/or gravel is still visible along the edge of the railroad right-of-way all the way up until US-17/US-92 comes back over just north of Pomona Heights.  It actually looks like much of it is getting some backroad use starting at Shamrock Road (just north of Haines City), going up behind the industrial machine junkyard and ending there at the main junkyard complex.
I considered that too.

nerdom

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 26, 2021, 10:03:18 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 26, 2021, 08:38:04 PM

Wow. Good eye.

D-Dey65

Now what about this;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Log_trailers_parked_along_NB_US_17_north_of_Yulee.jpg
Old weigh station, agricultural inspection station, or something else?

BTW, I also found out the original Polk County Rest Areas on I-4 were closer to Exit 33.
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=12&lat=28.041111&lon=-81.958889

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 04, 2021, 07:59:37 AM
Now what about this;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Log_trailers_parked_along_NB_US_17_north_of_Yulee.jpg
Old weigh station, agricultural inspection station, or something else?

Unclear, though it was there in the 1957 aerial. The current US 17 ag station was also there in the 1957 aerial.

D-Dey65

Late night update; The Hernando County Road 576 extension in Masaryktown is complete. All that really needs to be done now is the work on County Line Road (CR 578) between the Suncoast Parkway and the western approach to the Ayers Road Extension.

SkyPesos

After reading more on the Florida state routes grid, does anyone know why I-75's secret designation is FL 93, instead of a number in its grid spot, like FL 43? Same with hidden FL 91 on the Turnpike.

Mapmikey

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 03:06:24 PM
After reading more on the Florida state routes grid, does anyone know why I-75's secret designation is FL 93, instead of a number in its grid spot, like FL 43? Same with hidden FL 91 on the Turnpike.

Because those highways didn't exist when Florida changed to its grid system in 1945.  Some odd numbers were not used in the 1945 scheme.  9, 91 and 93 were not among the odd numbers utilized, so they were available when these roads were built later.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 25, 2021, 03:44:08 PM

Because those highways didn't exist when Florida changed to its grid system in 1945.  Some odd numbers were not used in the 1945 scheme.  9, 91 and 93 were not among the odd numbers utilized, so they were available when these roads were built later.
So I-95's secret number of FL 9 is purely a coincidence that it fits its grid location then, right?

Mapmikey

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 03:46:04 PM

So I-95's secret number of FL 9 is purely a coincidence that it fits its grid location then, right?

FL 9 (the part not with I-95) did come into existence by the time I-95 came along and it appears they just extended it up the interstate.

D-Dey65

Anyone else know that FL 52 is now being widened between the Suncoast Parkway in Shady Hills, and east of US 41 in Gowers Corner?

Max Rockatansky

I saw some of the work when I was down there a couple months ago.  It really needs to be widened all the way to I-75.

formulanone

It seemed they had a plan for most of the odd two-digit SRs, but then realized they'd better use 97 and 99 if the grid was going to make sense. So 91 and 93 were left; I suppose any more demands for north-south routes could be filled with a 100 or 200-series SR number (or whatever they liked in the 700s, for some reason).

Going south to the even two-digit state roads, I believe they just left some room in case a new (and very short) US Route might have been assigned in its place, but also would up with a few more unused numbers (86, 88, 96, 98). On the other hand, many of the two-digit routes tend to span either an entire county, or multiple counties; so there are not enough number assignments to go around, and building another route across The Everglades is a non-starter. 

formulanone

Found an error sign...I think they meant to say "699", not "669" for this sign. SR 666 leads to SR 699 along the Gulf.

In the Disappointed But Not Surprised File: signs were missing for Florida State Road 666; it's not a long route, so there's only one chance for reassurance signage in each direction.

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on October 26, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
In the Disappointed But Not Surprised File: signs were missing for Florida State Road 666; it's not a long route, so there's only one chance for reassurance signage in each direction.

FWIW there has not been a confirming marker for SR 666 westbound for the last 15 years.
Bummer about the missing shield eastbound. It was still there in 2017 at least.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on October 26, 2021, 11:07:28 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 26, 2021, 10:47:17 PM

FWIW there has not been a confirming marker for SR 666 westbound for the last 15 years.
Bummer about the missing shield eastbound. It was still there in 2017 at least.

I recall an eastbound one in 1998, the last time I took the route, and I was actually surprised it was signed back then (unlike FL/CR 420).

The 669 error makes up for it. :D

D-Dey65

Hernando County has their own error signs at westbound CR 578 approaching the intersection with CR 587.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.