Regional Boards > Southeast

U.S. 17 Hampstead Bypass in NC

(1/5) > >>

Strider:
What is the purpose of this bypass? It is proposed to run from I-140/US 17 Wilmington Bypass and future Military Cutoff Road extension just north of Wilmington to US 17 north of Hampstead.

Is the state still trying to turn U.S. 17 into a interstate? There are already interstate standard bypasses for Jacksonville, New Bern (co-signed with US 70/Future I-42), Williamson (co-signed with US 64/Future I-87) and Elizabeth City (future I-87), The Maysville and Pollocksville bypass that is currently under construction will be built to interstate standards (except for each end of the bypass) but of course is what is coming is the future I-87 in the future that will mostly use existing US 17, which obviously will have to be widened to interstate standards.

I don't live in that area so hopefully someone will tell me if they know something about it.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US17HampsteadBypass/

LM117:
The only part of US-17 that is planned to become an interstate is the part that will be I-87. NCDOT does want to eventually upgrade US-17 to a freeway through the whole state, though. The section of US-17 that is co-signed with US-70/Future I-42 near/in New Bern does not yet meet interstate standards due to narrow shoulders. Only the part between US-70 and US-17 Business west of New Bern is interstate standard. That bypass will eventually be extended north to connect with US-17 north of New Bern, so the US-17/US-70 concurrency is only temporary.

It's been many years since I passed through Hampstead, but I remember traffic being pretty bad there, especially during the summer months. The Hampstead Bypass could become an eastern extension of I-140. The section of the Wilmington Bypass east of I-40 is not yet part of I-140, so this could explain why. NCDOT has made no mention of any eastward I-140 extension.

froggie:
^ Following FHWA general criteria for "logical termini" for Interstates, such an extension would have to reach at least NC 172 (if not all the way to Jacksonville) before it could become an Interstate.

Strider:

--- Quote from: LM117 on June 29, 2017, 05:09:40 AM ---The only part of US-17 that is planned to become an interstate is the part that will be I-87. NCDOT does want to eventually upgrade US-17 to a freeway through the whole state, though. The section of US-17 that is co-signed with US-70/Future I-42 near/in New Bern does not yet meet interstate standards due to narrow shoulders. Only the part between US-70 and US-17 Business west of New Bern is interstate standard. That bypass will eventually be extended north to connect with US-17 north of New Bern, so the US-17/US-70 concurrency is only temporary.

It's been many years since I passed through Hampstead, but I remember traffic being pretty bad there, especially during the summer months. The Hampstead Bypass could become an eastern extension of I-140. The section of the Wilmington Bypass east of I-40 is not yet part of I-140, so this could explain why. NCDOT has made no mention of any eastward I-140 extension.

--- End quote ---

I don't think the Hampstead Bypass will be a part of I-140. I do know it is planned to be a part of US 17. I-140 is proposed to extend east to end at US 17/US 17 Business northeast of Wilmington provided that the route is approved.

epzik8:
I don't live there either, but I passed through the Wilmington area this weekend going between the Baltimore, Maryland area and Myrtle Beach, and I'm really hoping for the Wilmington Bypass to be fully open as soon as possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version