News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: VTGoose on January 24, 2022, 08:51:11 AM
Somewhere in one of the threads (it might have been the I-95 in North Carolina one), the discussion sidled into some comments about I-95 in South Carolina, with comments about the pavement. Someone asserted that it was fine -- and I strongly disagree.
I don't know who you think claimed it was fine, but it couldn't have been me. I simply didn't pay that much attention to the condition of the pavement. But I agree with you on I-95 being three lanes in each direction. I haven't been on enough of I-26 to make a proper judgement, so I have to trust the rest of you people here, or go to Google Street View, or even traffic reports in the cities along the route.

And ultimately, the widening of I-95 should be statewide, but I'm realistic enough to know SCDOT can't do this as easily as NCDOT.

sprjus4

^ They need to focus efforts on south of I-26, at minimum.

There's a huge difference between the 6 lanes in Georgia and 4 lanes in South Carolina, especially during peak weekends.

It flows so much better and maintains 80+ mph. South Carolina... bumper to bumper and usually max speed 55-60 mph. Occasionally, you get single lane openings for a bit you can push up 80-85 mph, but you don't get far. You're trapped in an infinite flow.

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2022, 01:14:42 AM

There's a huge difference between the 6 lanes in Georgia and 4 lanes in South Carolina, especially during peak weekends.

It flows so much better and maintains 80+ mph. South Carolina... bumper to bumper and usually max speed 55-60 mph. Occasionally, you get single lane openings for a bit you can push up 80-85 mph, but you don't get far. You're trapped in an infinite flow.

Been there, done that. Hitting the Georgia line is like popping the top off a shaken bottle of Coke. Earlier in January when returning from Florida, we were glad to be going north -- there was a solid two lanes of traffic slowly moving south through most of SC up to I-26.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Mapmikey

The SCDOT projects page lists widening I-95 from GA to Exit 33 but has no timetable at all.  It also shows complete pavement rehab for MM 33-68 to be done over the 2021-25.

I-26 is being widened out to SC 27 heading west.  No other I-26 stuff until past Columbia...

Crown Victoria

Quote from: VTGoose on January 24, 2022, 08:51:11 AM
Somewhere in one of the threads (it might have been the I-95 in North Carolina one), the discussion sidled into some comments about I-95 in South Carolina, with comments about the pavement. Someone asserted that it was fine -- and I strongly disagree. After a trip south last week and a return yesterday via I-26 and I-95 down to Florida, I will agree with the first person who claimed it was bad. While not continuously bad, there are enough bad sections of concrete at random intervals to make for a rough ride or push travel into the left lane.

There are also occasional assertions (and I'm one of them) that I-95 and I-26 need to be three lanes. Others point out that heavy traffic is an anomaly that only happens around Thanksgiving and otherwise the highway is adequate. Our recent trip (down on a Sunday night, return on a Sunday afternoon) moved along without heavy traffic, but there are too many people who believe it is their right to travel at 80+ MPH. They aren't happy with people who are passing others who are at or under the speed limit and tailgate to express displeasure. A third lane would help alleviate this to some extent by keeping slower traffic to the right, putting faster traffic in the middle, and having the leftmost lane open for the leadfoots and the need to pass slightly slower people in the middle lane.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Quote from: VTGoose on January 25, 2022, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2022, 01:14:42 AM

Been there, done that. Hitting the Georgia line is like popping the top off a shaken bottle of Coke. Earlier in January when returning from Florida, we were glad to be going north -- there was a solid two lanes of traffic slowly moving south through most of SC up to I-26.

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 25, 2022, 01:08:10 PM
The SCDOT projects page lists widening I-95 from GA to Exit 33 but has no timetable at all.  It also shows complete pavement rehab for MM 33-68 to be done over the 2021-25.

I-26 is being widened out to SC 27 heading west.  No other I-26 stuff until past Columbia...

Having traveled I-95 through SC last week on our way to Florida, and I-95 to I-26 this week on our way home, I can attest to the need for widening of I-95 in SC, especially south of I-26. There are some days (like our trip down, on a Wednesday) where traffic flow is steady, above the speed limit, but with a noticeable increase in traffic south of I-26, and other days (like Tuesday, on our way home) where heavy truck traffic can slow things down a bit. Weekends and holidays are no doubt much busier and slower. 

As for the pavement quality on I-95 in SC, some places it's not too bad, but in others it's enough to make a Pennsylvanian feel right at home  :-D.

Looks like SCDOT does have the right idea in mind, beginning widening efforts south of Exit 33 (US 17 to Charleston), but they will need to eventually widen up to I-26.

Speaking of I-26, that roadway will also need to be widened. I believe SC's governor has proposed using some of the state's budget surplus to complete widening between Columbia and Charleston, including improvements to the I-26/I-95 interchange, along with (finally) getting part of I-73 built.

Finally, our trip home included an overnight in the Upstate. Which meant enduring I-85 north of Spartanburg...

D-Dey65

When the I-26/I-95 interchange is rebuilt, they really have to have frontage roads on I-26 between there and US 15. And if they decide to downgrade the interchange with US 15 (something I wouldn't blame them for), a folded-diamond interchange with ramps on the east side of US 15 would be the way to go.

fillup420

I was a part of that discussion in the NC thread. I will continue to assert that I-95 in SC is trash, as well as I-26 between Cola and Charleston. On both roads the narrow shoulders, rough pavement, and aggressive drivers add up to a very stressful time. On 26 especially, it often feels like the unofficial speed limit is 90, and god forbid you get in anyone's way who is trying to do 90. its terrible, and I do not miss living in SC because of it.

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 28, 2022, 10:30:23 AM
When the I-26/1-95 interchange is rebuilt, they really have to have frontage roads on I-26 between there and US 15.
Why is this necessary?

wriddle082

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 29, 2022, 02:51:31 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 28, 2022, 10:30:23 AM
When the I-26/1-95 interchange is rebuilt, they really have to have frontage roads on I-26 between there and US 15.
Why is this necessary?

Yeah those exits are 3 miles apart.  Not necessary in the least.

Unless he means C/D roads somewhere at the 26/95 interchange itself, which if they rebuild it into a cloverstack with 95N-26W and 95S-26E flyovers, won't be necessary.

roadman65

The freeway connector near Northwoods Mall in North Charleston that connects I-26 with Rivers Avenue I was curious about.  I know it's referred to by SCDOT as US 52 Connector for inventory purposes, but is it officially logged by AASHTO as such?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2022, 10:11:04 AM
The freeway connector near Northwoods Mall in North Charleston that connects I-26 with Rivers Avenue I was curious about.  I know it's referred to by SCDOT as US 52 Connector for inventory purposes, but is it officially logged by AASHTO as such?

The connectors in SC are not referenced in any way in the 1989 US route logs

roadman65

That includes SPUR US 52 in Charleston too?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PColumbus73

http://info2.scdot.org/GISMapping/GISMapdl/32357Display%20with%20design.pdf

US 501 between SC 544 and SC 31 in the Myrtle Beach / Conway area is slated to be completely widened to 6 lanes soon, the link is for the widening of US 501 between SC 544 and Gardner Lacy/Myrtle Ridge Drive. Currently supposed to begin construction in 2023.

US 501 Northbound from SC 31 to Gardner Lacy was widened to 3 lanes under RIDE 2, and SCDOT is currently working on widening the other side and scheduled to be complete in 2023.

There are some other local road projects that will hopefully take some of the local traffic off of US 501, Postal Way is being extended behind Tanger Outlets to Waccamaw Pines Drive. On the other side of the road, Middle Ridge Ave is planned to extend from West Perry Road to (I believe) Singleton Ridge Road.

Personally, I think adding frontage roads along 501 and removing most, or all, of the driveways would make things flow a lot smoother, but I know that's expensive and ROW acquisition would be difficult.

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2022, 11:38:51 AM
That includes SPUR US 52 in Charleston too?

Correct...US 52 SPUR not shown as an intersection on US 52.  I cannot find any AASHO documentation placing US 52A or US 52 Spur in Charleston into the system (nor US 52 Bus Darlington, for that matter).

However, both US 95 Spur and US 281 Spur are shown as intersecting routes

chrisdiaz

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 16, 2022, 07:27:47 PM

US 501 between SC 544 and SC 31 in the Myrtle Beach / Conway area is slated to be completely widened to 6 lanes soon, the link is for the widening of US 501 between SC 544 and Gardner Lacy/Myrtle Ridge Drive. Currently supposed to begin construction in 2023.

US 501 Northbound from SC 31 to Gardner Lacy was widened to 3 lanes under RIDE 2, and SCDOT is currently working on widening the other side and scheduled to be complete in 2023.

There are some other local road projects that will hopefully take some of the local traffic off of US 501, Postal Way is being extended behind Tanger Outlets to Waccamaw Pines Drive. On the other side of the road, Middle Ridge Ave is planned to extend from West Perry Road to (I believe) Singleton Ridge Road.

Personally, I think adding frontage roads along 501 and removing most, or all, of the driveways would make things flow a lot smoother, but I know that's expensive and ROW acquisition would be difficult.
Excited for this!! I try to avoid 501 at all costs as it stands now, and agree that frontage roads should be added. I also think that 501 should have a grade separated interchange at Carolina Forest Boulevard. If I want to be ambitious, I would say to have 501 continue grade separation up from 31 to just north of CF Blvd.

wriddle082

If they can add frontage roads and grade separations to a good bit of US 17 Johnnie Dodds Blvd in Mt. Pleasant, where I think they had even less ROW to deal with, then I think they can easily handle 501 through Carolina Forest.

PColumbus73

Quote from: chrisdiaz on February 17, 2022, 02:39:48 AM

Excited for this!! I try to avoid 501 at all costs as it stands now, and agree that frontage roads should be added. I also think that 501 should have a grade separated interchange at Carolina Forest Boulevard. If I want to be ambitious, I would say to have 501 continue grade separation up from 31 to just north of CF Blvd.

If they convert Carolina Forest Blvd into an interchange, they need to rework the section of US 501 between Carolina Forest and SC 31, the interchange is just going to make it easier to pile traffic onto 501 if they don't do anything with the lights at Legends and Waccamaw Pines.

(Recently moved to Georgetown from Myrtle Beach BTW)

PColumbus73

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 17, 2022, 05:54:20 AM

If they can add frontage roads and grade separations to a good bit of US 17 Johnnie Dodds Blvd in Mt. Pleasant, where I think they had even less ROW to deal with, then I think they can easily handle 501 through Carolina Forest.

The extension of Postal Way to Waccamaw Pines, and the Middle Ridge Ave project would give US 501 psuedo-frontage roads. I think they would justify better access management along 501 and prioritize signalized intersections.

D-Dey65

So, does anybody know of any plans to extend I-585 further north to I-85? Because Google Maps is saying it's already there.

sprjus4

^ It's not happening.

US 89

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 27, 2022, 08:01:31 PM
So, does anybody know of any plans to extend I-585 further north to I-85? Because Google Maps is saying it's already there.

Google Maps says that because 585 is for some reason signed well north of its endpoint at BL-85. The last northbound reassurance is all the way up past the Valley Falls Rd interchange. This error even made it into some official FHWA maps for a time if you go back a few pages in this thread.

wriddle082

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 27, 2022, 08:04:41 PM
^ It's not happening.

Never say never!  I mean, traffic volumes don't seem to warrant a full interstate-to-interstate interchange, though standards certainly do.  If Spartanburg ever sees the type of growth that Greenville is currently experiencing, then it could happen.  But SCDOT has more pressing needs, like resurfacing, and resurfacing. and maybe even some resurfacing.  Or turn the secondaries over to counties who have the money for the resurfacing.  Just get something done!!!

sprjus4

Standards apparently haven't deemed it necessary over the last 20-30 years. IMO, it's more likely it gets demoted from interstate status than a full interchange built.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe Interstate 585 shouldn't have been designated to begin with. It has never met Interstate Standards, and was "orphaned" by the relocation of Interstate 85 in the 1990's. The exits that are numbered have always used US 176's mileage numbers. On the other hand, if the Business 85-to-Interstate 685 proposal had been approved, it wouldn't have been necessary for 585 to connect with 85.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2022, 04:34:55 PM
Maybe Interstate 585 shouldn't have been designated to begin with. It has never met Interstate Standards, and was "orphaned" by the relocation of Interstate 85 in the 1990's. The exits that are numbered have always used US 176's mileage numbers. On the other hand, if the Business 85-to-Interstate 685 proposal had been approved, it wouldn't have been necessary for 585 to connect with 85.

When I-585 was established, it did meet the Interstate standards as they were back in the early 1960s. Only SCDOT can decide if they want to decommission I-585 or not, and I doubt they are are even considering it as its designation does give it some additional Federal funds to help maintain that stretch of highway (probably pays for the fresh coat of asphalt every ten years).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.