News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Deer AHTD: Pre-1953 minute orders?

Started by bugo, May 12, 2014, 05:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Do the minute orders from before 1953 exist?  I'd love to have the 1924 to 1952 minute orders because there must be a treasure trove of information listed there.  I've learned a lot about the highway system from reading these notes, including stillborn US highways, dates of highway commissionings and decommissionings, and the secret route system which I had no idea even existed.  The AHTD website gets a lot of flak for some reason, but I think it has some great resources including old maps and the minute orders.  Now to get working on full color scans of both the fronts and backs of every AHTD map from each year.

mcdonaat

Do most states have minute orders? For Louisiana highways, all I have are the legislative highway descriptions from 1928 and 1933, and 1955. Maps are scarce, and information is pretty much nil.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2014, 05:44:05 PM
Do the minute orders from before 1953 exist?  I'd love to have the 1924 to 1952 minute orders because there must be a treasure trove of information listed there.  I've learned a lot about the highway system from reading these notes, including stillborn US highways, dates of highway commissionings and decommissionings, and the secret route system which I had no idea even existed.  The AHTD website gets a lot of flak for some reason, but I think it has some great resources including old maps and the minute orders.  Now to get working on full color scans of both the fronts and backs of every AHTD map from each year.

For map scans, I think RMCA has photos of all the maps (FWIW)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RBBrittain

Arkansas' GeoStor site has state highway maps at ftp://ftp.geostor.arkansas.gov/geostor_raster_02/AHTD_MAP_SERIES/STATEWIDE/ as far back as 1916.  Maybe mostly B&W (most are in TIFF format), but almost every year from 1925 to 2007 is covered.

Edit:  I doubt you're gonna find pre-1953 minute orders anywhere outside AHTD itself.  However, GeoStor has maps for every county at ftp://ftp.geostor.arkansas.gov/geostor_raster_02/AHTD_MAP_SERIES/HISTORIC/ that include the state highways as legislatively enacted in 1929; IIRC everything since then has been by AHC and/or AHTD action, not the legislature.

bugo

I'm well aware of geostor.  However, they don't have full color scans and they don't have scans of the back of the maps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.