News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: bluecountry on December 09, 2019, 04:19:17 PMAlso, how come they are NOW adding signs indicatin miles to Philly (mile 81) and Wil/Bal/DC (mile 29)?

What brought this on and is there more to go?
To comply with current MUTCD standards regarding signing distant cities/points perhaps.

Quote from: bluecountry on December 09, 2019, 04:19:17 PMPersonally I'd like to see the directional city changed for I-95 from 'Trenton' to Philadelphia.
Then at exit 6 I want to see the NJTP south having Wilmington/Bal/DC as the directional.
Both of these points have been brought up more than once on the Turnpike/I-95 interchange thread.  I'll restate here what I stated on that other thread.
Since Trenton is NJ's capital city and is on closer proximity for those coming from the north than Philadelphia having it on the ramp and through signs down through Exit 8 is legitimate. 

For Exits 7A & 7, could one use Philadelphia instead of Camden?  Such is somewhat more debatable.  Could NJTA use a Camden/Philadelphia combo for those southbound signs?  Sure, but for some reason, the NJTA mostly sticks to the MUTCD practice/guidance of only using single destinations for most of their ramp/through signs.  One southbound exception is the Turnpike signage at Exit 6 listing both Camden & Wilmington (predecessor ground-mounted through sign listed Camden & Delaware).  FWIW, since Camden is a NJ city situated near the Turnpike corridor, signing it along the Turnpike from Exit 7A through Exit 5 is justified.  Realistically, one could sign use Camden on the Turnpike through Exit 4 since NJ 73 goes nowhere near Camden whereas NJ 168 (at Exit 3) does; but NJ 168/Black Horse Pike is a smaller road than NJ 73 so one can see why the signs are labeled as such to have Camden-bound traffic leave the Turnpike further away.  Had there been a Turnpike interchange with NJ 42; such would be signed for Camden and the listing on the NJ 73 signs would be replaced.  I know, another topic for the Fictional Boards.

That said & now with the I-95 gap now closed, the best way to sign Philadelphia for the I-95 portion of the Turnpike north of Exit 6 is to place it on distance signage.  Having Baltimore and/or DC on distance signs is sufficient as well; there's no need to place such on the main southbound ramp/through signs.  IMHO, such would be overkill.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2019, 09:02:53 AM
That said & now with the I-95 gap now closed, the best way to sign Philadelphia for the I-95 portion of the Turnpike north of Exit 6 is to place it on distance signage.  Having Baltimore and/or DC on distance signs is sufficient as well; there's no need to place such on the main southbound ramp/through signs.  IMHO, such would be overkill.

Heading South, the most often asked distances when motorists pull into the toll plaza at Interchange 1 was Washington DC (110 miles), Baltimore (70 miles), the Maryland Rest Stop, and I-95.  The 3 I understand; I guess the Maryland Rest Stop was a very frequently used spot to take a break. Interestingly, the Chesapeake Rest Stop was rarely asked about.  So having a sign between the last NJ Turnpike Service Area and Interchange 1 with at least Baltimore and Washington DC shown would be very useful. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2019, 09:48:13 AMHeading South, the most often asked distances when motorists pull into the toll plaza at Interchange 1 was Washington DC (110 miles), Baltimore (70 miles), the Maryland Rest Stop, and I-95.  The 3 I understand; I guess the Maryland Rest Stop was a very frequently used spot to take a break. Interestingly, the Chesapeake Rest Stop was rarely asked about.  So having a sign between the last NJ Turnpike Service Area and Interchange 1 with at least Baltimore and Washington DC shown would be very useful.
Agree with having a distance sign for Baltimore and Washington, DC along that stretch would be beneficial.  Does anyone know if there's any plan to erect such?

My guess for why people would ask how far the Maryland Rest Stop is and not the Chesapeake Rest Stop or even the Delaware Rest Stop for that matter is because such is further along & the last rest stop prior to reaching the immediate Baltimore area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bluecountry

Quote from: bluecountry on December 09, 2019, 04:19:17 PMAlso, how come they are NOW adding signs indicatin miles to Philly (mile 81) and Wil/Bal/DC (mile 29)?

What brought this on and is there more to go?
To comply with current MUTCD standards regarding signing distant cities/points perhaps.

Quote from: bluecountry on December 09, 2019, 04:19:17 PMPersonally I'd like to see the directional city changed for I-95 from 'Trenton' to Philadelphia.
Then at exit 6 I want to see the NJTP south having Wilmington/Bal/DC as the directional.
Both of these points have been brought up more than once on the Turnpike/I-95 interchange thread.  I'll restate here what I stated on that other thread.
Since Trenton is NJ's capital city and is on closer proximity for those coming from the north than Philadelphia having it on the ramp and through signs down through Exit 8 is legitimate. 

For Exits 7A & 7, could one use Philadelphia instead of Camden?  Such is somewhat more debatable.  Could NJTA use a Camden/Philadelphia combo for those southbound signs?  Sure, but for some reason, the NJTA mostly sticks to the MUTCD practice/guidance of only using single destinations for most of their ramp/through signs.  One southbound exception is the Turnpike signage at Exit 6 listing both Camden & Wilmington (predecessor ground-mounted through sign listed Camden & Delaware).  FWIW, since Camden is a NJ city situated near the Turnpike corridor, signing it along the Turnpike from Exit 7A through Exit 5 is justified.  Realistically, one could sign use Camden on the Turnpike through Exit 4 since NJ 73 goes nowhere near Camden whereas NJ 168 (at Exit 3) does; but NJ 168/Black Horse Pike is a smaller road than NJ 73 so one can see why the signs are labeled as such to have Camden-bound traffic leave the Turnpike further away.  Had there been a Turnpike interchange with NJ 42; such would be signed for Camden and the listing on the NJ 73 signs would be replaced.  I know, another topic for the Fictional Boards.

I'll disagree in regards to 'Trenton' on I-95/NJTP south.
Trenton isn't much of a destination, it isn't even on I-95.
Philadelphia is a major city, yet it gets signed less than Trenton.
This particularly is irksome when on I-95 north from the GWB, 'New Haven' 75 miles away is the direction city (not Stamford or Bridgeport).

bzakharin

How many other state capitals are signed along the I-95 corridor? I can't think of any. Philadelphia is probably the more common destination from the NJ Turnpike than Trenton is. The only reason I can think of for keeping Trenton is that it has always been there and would confuse travelers if it went away.
Realistically, one could sign use Camden on the Turnpike through Exit 4 since NJ 73 goes nowhere near Camden whereas NJ 168 (at Exit 3) does; but NJ 168/Black Horse Pike is a smaller road than NJ 73 so one can see why the signs are labeled as such to have Camden-bound traffic leave the Turnpike further away.  Had there been a Turnpike interchange with NJ 42; such would be signed for Camden and the listing on the NJ 73 signs would be replaced.  I know, another topic for the Fictional Boards.
It's not just the size of the road. Southbound traffic going to Camden is better served by NJ 73 to NJ 38 than by exiting to NJ 168 and going backwards. This would have been even more true for a hypothetical interchange with I-676.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on December 10, 2019, 10:55:32 AMHow many other state capitals are signed along the I-95 corridor?
Augusta, ME; Boston, MA; Providence, RI; the fore-mentioned Trenton, NJ; Washington, DC (nation's capital); and Richmond, VA.

Quote from: bzakharin on December 10, 2019, 10:55:32 AM
Realistically, one could sign use Camden on the Turnpike through Exit 4 since NJ 73 goes nowhere near Camden whereas NJ 168 (at Exit 3) does; but NJ 168/Black Horse Pike is a smaller road than NJ 73 so one can see why the signs are labeled as such to have Camden-bound traffic leave the Turnpike further away.  Had there been a Turnpike interchange with NJ 42; such would be signed for Camden and the listing on the NJ 73 signs would be replaced.  I know, another topic for the Fictional Boards.
It's not just the size of the road. Southbound traffic going to Camden is better served by NJ 73 to NJ 38 than by exiting to NJ 168 and going backwards. This would have been even more true for a hypothetical interchange with I-676 NJ 42.
FTFY.  The Turnpike's crossing of the North-South Freeway (NJ 42 at this location) is well south of I-76/295/676.

Yes, using NJ 73 to NJ 38 is a direct route from the Turnpike to Camden; however, it's not always the quickest in terms of travel time.  While both of those roads are divided arterial highways; both stretches have traffic signals along them.  Additionally, that NJ 38/41/73 interchange (actually three interchanges clustered in very close proximity) can be a traffic choke point at times.

In contrast, using Exit 3 for NJ 168 to I-295 to I-76 to I-676; although longer in distance can be quicker timewise outside of rush hours.

The above's a case of picking one's traffic poison so to speak.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

The often-forgotten about issue with interchange city selections (and most complaints/ideas about the NJ Turnpike) is that road goes both south AND north. So while Camden may not seem like an appropriate destination for Exit 3 going south, it's much more appropriate for those going north. These factors have to be weighed not only for both directions, but for other potential control cities for other exits.

And before you shout out that people should just use 295 North for Camden: While true, if they don't then they still need appropriate designations on the Turnpike itself.

So while SB traffic would benefit from a shorter ride exiting at Exit 4, NB benefits from Exit 3. Both are signed for Camden. Personally I would change Exit 3 to Philly, but the NJTA seems to want to use that exclusively for the 95 routing.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2019, 12:03:13 PM
The often-forgotten about issue with interchange city selections (and most complaints/ideas about the NJ Turnpike) is that road goes both south AND north. So while Camden may not seem like an appropriate destination for Exit 3 going south, it's much more appropriate for those going north. These factors have to be weighed not only for both directions, but for other potential control cities for other exits.

And before you shout out that people should just use 295 North for Camden: While true, if they don't then they still need appropriate designations on the Turnpike itself.

So while SB traffic would benefit from a shorter ride exiting at Exit 4, NB benefits from Exit 3. Both are signed for Camden. Personally I would change Exit 3 to Philly, but the NJTA seems to want to use that exclusively for the 95 routing.
IIRC the older signs that predate the oldest GSVs for Exit 3 used to list S. Camden at least for the southbound Exit 3 signs to differentiate such from the earlier Exit 4 signs.  Not sure if a similar was done for the northbound Exit 3 signs.

Older Exit 4 signs, pardon the grainy 2007 GSV, listed only Philadelphia & Camden on it.  Mount Laurel dethroned Philly; which was moved to a supplemental panel mounted underneath the main sign sometime in the early 2010s when the I-95/PA Turnpike project was finally moving forward.

The Philadelphia listing for Exit 4 is likely dates back to when the Turnpike & this interchange first opened.  It was selected due to NJ 73 northbound heading towards the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.  At the time, the only two bridges that linked Philly to NJ were that and the Ben Franklin Bridge (then the Delaware River Bridge).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2019, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2019, 12:03:13 PM

IIRC the older signs that predate the oldest GSVs for Exit 3 used to list S. Camden at least for the southbound Exit 3 signs to differentiate such from the earlier Exit 4 signs.  Not sure if a similar was done for the northbound Exit 3 signs.

Older Exit 4 signs, pardon the grainy 2007 GSV, listed only Philadelphia & Camden on it.  Mount Laurel dethroned Philly; which was moved to a supplemental panel mounted underneath the main sign sometime in the early 2010s when the I-95/PA Turnpike project was finally moving forward.

The Philadelphia listing for Exit 4 is likely dates back to when the Turnpike & this interchange first opened.  It was selected due to NJ 73 northbound heading towards the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.  At the time, the only two bridges that linked Philly to NJ were that and the Ben Franklin Bridge (then the Delaware River Bridge).

The earlier signage was also more of a hodgepodge of destinations, based on pre-interstate (and pre-MUTCD) standards.  Most of that was all corrected during the past decade.  An interesting exception is "Atlantic City Expressway", rather than Atlantic City, although consistent with other notable exceptions on the 'pike in North Jersey.  Properly done, the signage would contain something like:

TO   TO   TO
168  76   42  ACX

Camden
     Atlantic City

to guide traffic to all these important roads and locations in the area, although I would still replace Camden with Philadelphia here.  Philly is no longer at any point anywhere south of Interchange 6.  Wanna take out one of the TO's?  Probably the ACX would go, as most people should have directions putting them on 42 first.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2019, 09:48:13 AM

Heading South, the most often asked distances when motorists pull into the toll plaza at Interchange 1 was Washington DC (110 miles), Baltimore (70 miles), the Maryland Rest Stop, and I-95.  The 3 I understand; I guess the Maryland Rest Stop was a very frequently used spot to take a break. Interestingly, the Chesapeake Rest Stop was rarely asked about.  So having a sign between the last NJ Turnpike Service Area and Interchange 1 with at least Baltimore and Washington DC shown would be very useful.

I'm curious as to whether they asked about a general "Maryland rest area" or specifically "Maryland House"?  To the average person, they might not think about the difference, they are both in Maryland.

roadman65

On Exit 3 they used to have Woodbury going southbound, but removed it when Atlantic City Expressway was added.  IMO I thought that was not a good city to use as no direct way to it from there. 

Also IMO I would sign it as Bellmawr and Camden both ways and have both Atlantic City and Philly on supplemental signs.  Then for route numbers I would use NJ 168 to NJ 42 and ACE in shields.  Granted most do not recognize the ACE logo so a second supplemental sign should  be erected.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on December 11, 2019, 08:09:47 PM
On Exit 3 they used to have Woodbury going southbound, but removed it when Atlantic City Expressway was added.  IMO I thought that was not a good city to use as no direct way to it from there. 

Also IMO I would sign it as Bellmawr and Camden both ways and have both Atlantic City and Philly on supplemental signs.  Then for route numbers I would use NJ 168 to NJ 42 and ACE in shields.  Granted most do not recognize the ACE logo so a second supplemental sign should  be erected.

I tend to think there isn't much reason to sign either AC or the ACX at Exit 3... Camden is really the only good city I can think of, with the others all debatable in one way or another.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on December 12, 2019, 03:25:34 AM

I tend to think there isn't much reason to sign either AC or the ACX at Exit 3... Camden is really the only good city I can think of, with the others all debatable in one way or another.

When I worked at Exit 3, people asking for directions to the AC Expressway was by far the most often asked question. Most of these people had entered at Interchange 1.  So that destination is very important to have signed here.

Directions to Philly was second.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2019, 06:32:11 AM

When I worked at Exit 3, people asking for directions to the AC Expressway was by far the most often asked question. Most of these people had entered at Interchange 1.  So that destination is very important to have signed here.

Wow, I'm actually shocked, especially since they had JUST passed an exit for Atlantic City (40).  Weird.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on December 12, 2019, 07:49:08 AM

Wow, I'm actually shocked, especially since they had JUST passed an exit for Atlantic City (40).  Weird.

Not really.  US 40 is generally a slow, 50 mph 2 lane roadway, with even slower spots thru the towns along the way.  Travelers going long distances generally do not prefer these types of roads.  Despite being 15 miles longer, the NJ Turnpike to the AC Expressway is often 15 minutes faster.  Even if a traveler coming from Delaware took 95 into PA, across the Walt Whitman Bridge, then down 42 to the ACX, it's another 5 miles longer, and STILL faster!

There's unlimited examples of taking the first choice for a destination isn't the best or fastest choice. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on December 11, 2019, 08:09:47 PMOn Exit 3 they used to have Woodbury going southbound, but removed it when Atlantic City Expressway was added.  IMO I thought that was not a good city to use as no direct way to it from there.
This 2008 GSV still shows Woodbury on the southbound Exit 3 ramp signage.  This 2012 GSV shows the current signs & legends.
While checking the northbound GSVs just prior to this interchange; I couldn't find anything older than 2011, which shows the current signs.

The sign replacements at this interchange must've been made between 2008 and 2010.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Granted most do not recognize the ACE logo

Which isn't much helped by the fact that the ACE shield is rarely used on other expressways, including on the GSP's brand new signs.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

No the red flag has not caught on like the green stamp for  the NJ Turnpike (the name used on the CB radio in the 80's) and the yellow and green Parkway icons.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2019, 08:49:50 AM

Not really.  US 40 is generally a slow, 50 mph 2 lane roadway, with even slower spots thru the towns along the way.  Travelers going long distances generally do not prefer these types of roads.  Despite being 15 miles longer, the NJ Turnpike to the AC Expressway is often 15 minutes faster.  Even if a traveler coming from Delaware took 95 into PA, across the Walt Whitman Bridge, then down 42 to the ACX, it's another 5 miles longer, and STILL faster!

There's unlimited examples of taking the first choice for a destination isn't the best or fastest choice.

In which case, a change of the control city for the US 40 exit would seem to be in order. Woodstown, perhaps, would make much more sense, especially since NJDOT likes it in places:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6814368,-75.4107704,3a,75y,170.32h,81.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8HEDvGcbR7FqsbSmRpaFHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on December 12, 2019, 02:26:21 PM

In which case, a change of the control city for the US 40 exit would seem to be in order. Woodstown, perhaps, would make much more sense, especially since NJDOT likes it in places:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6814368,-75.4107704,3a,75y,170.32h,81.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8HEDvGcbR7FqsbSmRpaFHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nothing wrong with it.

Again, hundreds of similar instances around the country.  It's there to help guide people when needed. It's not a mandatory route.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on December 12, 2019, 02:26:21 PMIn which case, a change of the control city for the US 40 exit would seem to be in order. Woodstown, perhaps, would make much more sense, especially since NJDOT likes it in places:
Although a tad off-topic; US 40 got demoted on this sign just beyond the NJ Turnpike interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2019, 02:51:53 PM

Nothing wrong with it.

Again, hundreds of similar instances around the country.  It's there to help guide people when needed. It's not a mandatory route.
While there's nothing wrong with it, it apparently makes as much sense as signing US1 for Trentonnand 95/NjTP for Camden on the southbound parkway. It could be improved. Though I can imagine it's a ghost hanging around from the early Turnpike days when there was no ACX.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on December 12, 2019, 03:34:26 PM

Nothing wrong with it.

While there's nothing wrong with it, it apparently makes as much sense as signing US1 for Trentonnand 95/NjTP for Camden on the southbound parkway. It could be improved. Though I can imagine it's a ghost hanging around from the early Turnpike days when there was no ACX.

The Turnpike Authority gets very set in its ways about control cities and doesn't like to deviate. That's why you still have Metuchen signed at Exit 10 even though 298 has extended well beyond it for decades now and NJDOT uses Morristown and Mahway as their control cities for 287NB.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on December 18, 2019, 02:48:18 PM

Nothing wrong with it.

While there’s nothing wrong with it, it apparently makes as much sense as signing US1 for Trentonnand 95/NjTP for Camden on the southbound parkway. It could be improved. Though I can imagine it’s a ghost hanging around from the early Turnpike days when there was no ACX.

The Turnpike Authority gets very set in its ways about control cities and doesn't like to deviate. That's why you still have Metuchen signed at Exit 10 even though 298 has extended well beyond it for decades now and NJDOT uses Morristown and Mahway as their control cities for 287NB.
298?  Is not that up in Syracuse lol?  Mahway, is Rahway merged with Mahwah?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2019, 10:30:33 PM
Quote from: storm2k on December 18, 2019, 02:48:18 PM

Nothing wrong with it.

While there’s nothing wrong with it, it apparently makes as much sense as signing US1 for Trentonnand 95/NjTP for Camden on the southbound parkway. It could be improved. Though I can imagine it’s a ghost hanging around from the early Turnpike days when there was no ACX.

298?  Is not that up in Syracuse lol?  Mahway, is Rahway merged with Mahwah?

I apparently forgot how to type in that reply lol. Should be 287 and Mahwah.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.