News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 08, 2023, 08:22:52 AM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QnbkVi6SotySsbv26
What does NSX stand for on the mileposts?

You're headijg north from the Turnpike proper here, and heading to NYC. NSX are the Northbound eXpress lanes of 95. The MP to the right has NSL, or Northbound Local lanes.

1995hoo

What does the "S" denote in either case?

Edited to add: While you know New Jersey better than I do, if I'm not mistaken, in the link roadman65 posted the camera is facing away from New York (southbound). Pan it around the other way and look at the BGS to verify that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

akotchi

^^ The view is actually looking southbound.

NSX is "from North to South in eXpress," i.e. southbound express lanes

NSL (which is on the milepost at the far right of the view) is "from North to South in Local."
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

1995hoo

Thanks. Seems convoluted, but if it allows them needed precision, that's all that matters.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 08, 2023, 10:31:10 AM
What does the "S" denote in either case?

Edited to add: While you know New Jersey better than I do, if I'm not mistaken, in the link roadman65 posted the camera is facing away from New York (southbound). Pan it around the other way and look at the BGS to verify that.

I had turned the camera and saw the bridge, but missed the actual direction. Thanks for the corrections.

SignBridge

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 08, 2023, 01:50:46 PM
Thanks. Seems convoluted, but if it allows them needed precision, that's all that matters.

It is convoluted but for whatever reason that's how NJTA set it up over fifty years ago when they first started building the dual roadways, so I guess it works for them.

SignBridge

To further explain the NJTA's roadway designations, further south where the Turnpike divides into the east and west leg north of Newark the abbreviations are for southbound: NSW and NSE. Northbound is SNE and SNW.

Then when you get south of Newark where the dual parallel roadways begin the southbound is NSI and NSO for inner and outer lanes. Northbound is SNI and SNO.

roadman65

It seems plausible those abbreviations, but hard to figure out until explained. Be better if it were NBX for NB Express and NBL for NB Local or NBE for NB Eastern Spur, etc.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: SignBridge on October 08, 2023, 08:10:34 PM
... Northbound is SNI and SNO.

So if they ever decide to change the system, northbound will be Sekke Sekke Nekke Nekke Ptang Zoo Boing!

:bigass:

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on October 08, 2023, 11:21:13 PM
It seems plausible those abbreviations, but hard to figure out until explained. Be better if it were NBX for NB Express and NBL for NB Local or NBE for NB Eastern Spur, etc.

It makes more sense than those non-freeway routes in New York that look like eye charts...

bzakharin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 01, 2023, 10:35:42 PM
If they were considering connecting I-295 where it crosses the PA Extension, they'd only really need two ramps. I-295N to I95N and I95S to I295S. The traffic patterns at Exit 7 (I-295 Exit 56) and Exit 4 likely confirm this. The other connections can be done via Exit 6A if crossing to/from PA. From a regional perspective, I can't imagine too many people doing any of the other connections.
As I said, fastest way to get from Southern NJ to the PA Turnpike would be I-295N to I-95S to I-276W especially from parts of Southern NJ away from a Turnpike exit.

jeffandnicole

The NJ Turnpike released the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) for the proposed improvements to the Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension between Interchanges 14 and 14A.

https://www.njta.com/newsroom/nbhce-eis

Included on the page linked above are these general findings:

> The Project will eliminate congestion between Interchanges 14 and 14A, providing Level of Service C (free flow) and Level of Service D (minimally disrupted low) conditions to 2050 and beyond. 
> The project will not cause residential displacements. 
> The project will not impact community character or cohesion. 
> The project will not encroach on or affect access to parks, community facilities, or places of worship. 

Per the NJTA, construction on Interchange 14 in Newark to Interchange 14A in Bayonne and Jersey City will begin in 2026. It will last eight to 10 years.

The page includes a link for more detailed information, which is currently a dead link.  Use https://www.njta.com/capitalprojects to view the EIS and other info regarding the project.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2023, 05:02:20 PM
The NJ Turnpike released the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) for the proposed improvements to the Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension between Interchanges 14 and 14A.

https://www.njta.com/newsroom/nbhce-eis

Included on the page linked above are these general findings:

> The Project will eliminate congestion between Interchanges 14 and 14A, providing Level of Service C (free flow) and Level of Service D (minimally disrupted low) conditions to 2050 and beyond. 
> The project will not cause residential displacements. 
> The project will not impact community character or cohesion. 
> The project will not encroach on or affect access to parks, community facilities, or places of worship. 

Per the NJTA, construction on Interchange 14 in Newark to Interchange 14A in Bayonne and Jersey City will begin in 2026. It will last eight to 10 years.

The page includes a link for more detailed information, which is currently a dead link.  Use https://www.njta.com/capitalprojects to view the EIS and other info regarding the project.
I will just note here for now that the intent is for other projects to follow to continue widening east of Interchange 14A, but this is considered the priority - as has been mentioned in here, Newark Bay Bridge is in need of replacement.

rover

If they were considering connecting I-295 where it crosses the PA Extension, they'd only really need two ramps. I-295N to I95N and I95S to I295S. The traffic patterns at Exit 7 (I-295 Exit 56) and Exit 4 likely confirm this. The other connections can be done via Exit 6A if crossing to/from PA. From a regional perspective, I can't imagine too many people doing any of the other connections.
I think there should be a full connection at Exit 6A between I-95 and I-295.  It defies the interstate system to have a spur route not connect to the main route.

1995hoo

I think widening the stretch from Exit 4 to the southern end is far more important than an interchange with I-295.

sprjus4

Quote from: rover on October 21, 2023, 07:54:29 PM
I think there should be a full connection at Exit 6A between I-95 and I-295.  It defies the interstate system to have a spur route not connect to the main route.
It does connect, both at its southern terminus at I-95 / I-495 in Delaware, and also at its "northern" terminus at I-95 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike across the river.

jeffandnicole

95 and 895 in Baltimore doesn't either where they cross.

Ignoring that 95 was just designated here less than 10 years ago, this intersection of highways is less than a mile from the next Interchange on the Turnpike, making it difficult to construct properly.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2023, 08:13:12 AM

95 and 895 in Baltimore doesn't either where they cross.

Ignoring that 95 was just designated here less than 10 years ago, this intersection of highways is less than a mile from the next Interchange on the Turnpike, making it difficult to construct properly.
Some argument can be made for connecting WB-SB and NB-EB at that point (going by roadway directions, not signed routes), but that would decimate the trucking industry at I-295 Exit 56 so I imagine that is why nothing will ever be proposed here.

roadman65

Keep in mind also, further south you have the Turnpike have no connections to Route 42 either.  So this is not the only place the NJ Turnpike has no access to a crossing freeway.

It's a way of life in New Jersey and people for years have circumvented these spots with no problems.  Exit 6 has Exits 5 and 7 to get to I-295 SB despite using local roads, however the connections are there. Route 541 for Exit 5 to I-295 or Exit 7 to Rising Sun Road for I-295 SB.  Then Exit 7A provides a freeway between I-95 and I-295 if you want to remain on the freeways.

Not really a priority to get a direct connection between the Pearl Harbor Extension and I-295.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2023, 07:50:01 PM
Keep in mind also, further south you have the Turnpike have no connections to Route 42 either.  So this is not the only place the NJ Turnpike has no access to a crossing freeway.

It's a way of life in New Jersey and people for years have circumvented these spots with no problems.  Exit 6 has Exits 5 and 7 to get to I-295 SB despite using local roads, however the connections are there. Route 541 for Exit 5 to I-295 or Exit 7 to Rising Sun Road for I-295 SB.  Then Exit 7A provides a freeway between I-95 and I-295 if you want to remain on the freeways.

Not really a priority to get a direct connection between the Pearl Harbor Extension and I-295.

I wouldn't say there were no problems with not having these connections. It is not convenient or efficient to take the current route from the NJT to the ACE. And similarly in Pennsylvania, it was a real pain not having the direct connection between I-95 and the Penn Tpk. all those years. So don't say it was no problem when there was a problem.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 22, 2023, 08:37:08 PM

I wouldn't say there were no problems with not having these connections. It is not convenient or efficient to take the current route from the NJT to the ACE. And similarly in Pennsylvania, it was a real pain not having the direct connection between I-95 and the Penn Tpk. all those years. So don't say it was no problem when there was a problem.

Just the usual problems that we tolerate. I'm not saying that people enjoy having to use city streets to go from one freeway to another. I'm just saying we in the community outside this forum don't get completely unglued when typical neglect happens.

For example, I lived in Fords where traffic on US 1 was a nightmare at times. Sure we all complained among ourselves, but we got by.  Just like we have gotten by with jughandles for left turns on divided highways even though they were a pain.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 22, 2023, 08:37:08 PM

You are correct, and NJTA is looking at connectivity.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2023, 09:01:00 PM
Just the usual problems that we tolerate. I'm not saying that people enjoy having to use city streets to go from one freeway to another. I'm just saying we in the community outside this forum don't get completely unglued when typical neglect happens.

For example, I lived in Fords where traffic on US 1 was a nightmare at times. Sure we all complained among ourselves, but we got by.  Just like we have gotten by with jughandles for left turns on divided highways even though they were a pain.

I lived in Highland Park. Was just a way of life. I love jughandles and will forever. Better than Michigan lefts. I know that. US 1 being congested was also normal. Especially before the changes at Parsonage.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

02 Park Ave

It has just been announced that Governor Murphy will veto the NJTA's proposed toll increases.
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 26, 2023, 02:22:46 PM
It has just been announced that Governor Murphy will veto the NJTA's proposed toll increases.
News article I found says "The move comes less than two weeks before Election Day, when all 120 seats in the Legislature are on the ballot. Democrats, who are stressing affordability issues on the campaign trail, are seeking to retain their majorities in both chambers." Make of that what you will.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.