News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Golden age of comedy movies: late '70s/early '80s

Started by bandit957, February 05, 2024, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Credit to "Yellowstone" and their mostly boomer audience.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Longmire was a fun series, although it got ... interesting ... toward the end.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 09, 2024, 03:09:04 PM
Credit to "Yellowstone" and their mostly boomer audience.

You don't need to be a boomer to enjoy that show, especially Beth.

cwf1701

Also what made airplane work, they took an existing work (Flight into Danger/Zero Hour) and wrote the comedy around the work. Also Airplane came out toward the end of the period of the disaster film (titles like Earthquake, The Towering inferno, and the Airport movies) . https://www.facebook.com/flightorg/videos/zero-hour-basis-for-airplane/10154446652493640/

GCrites

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 09, 2024, 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 07, 2024, 07:54:14 PM
And will Mel Brooks would have been able to do Blazing Saddles today?

Probably. A lot of the (usually conservative) people who go all over social media wailing about how it "couldn't be made today because it's un-PC/the SJWs/wokes!!!1!" clearly didn't understand the themes of the film.
If there's any reason why it wouldn't be made today, it'd be due to the fact that Westerns stopped being nearly as popular shortly after it came-out, and, for various reasons, studios are also seemingly more hesitant to produce a one-off film like that.

They don't make movies in that budget range these days. It's all indie stuff or hail-mary blockbusters.

formulanone

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 09, 2024, 05:53:18 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 09, 2024, 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 07, 2024, 07:54:14 PM
And will Mel Brooks would have been able to do Blazing Saddles today?

Probably. A lot of the (usually conservative) people who go all over social media wailing about how it "couldn't be made today because it's un-PC/the SJWs/wokes!!!1!" clearly didn't understand the themes of the film.
If there's any reason why it wouldn't be made today, it'd be due to the fact that Westerns stopped being nearly as popular shortly after it came-out, and, for various reasons, studios are also seemingly more hesitant to produce a one-off film like that.

They don't make movies in that budget range these days. It's all indie stuff or hail-mary blockbusters.
The other problem is that there's also a ton of forgettable comedies that nobody remembers anyway, so making a clone of Blazing Saddles is kind of foolish. And while there was an Airplane II, there was also a a Soul Plane which came out 20 years ago, and nobody remembers that...it was silly here and there but also mostly dumb.

On the other hand, Friday was a legit comedy that wouldn't have been made ten years prior, and it's mostly held up well.

tmoore952

Big John

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 07, 2024, 06:55:27 PM
...recent versions of Who's Line Is It Anyway? are humorous in edgy ways. They say things on there that I didn't think you were allowed to say on TV.

I believe it's their last season.  They were in a contract dispute, partially due to royalties from the shows being re-aired, and managed to get that resolved.  They are shooting several shows a day, and it's obvious as the audience is sometimes the same, and Aisha Tyler and the participants aren't changing clothes between shoots.  So they are basically figuring they have nothing to lose this season and dialing it in on some occasions. 

They are definitely reaching the limits of what can be said on TV.  Well, actually, they're clearly saying stuff that can't which gets bleeped and blurred, but I am surprised as some of what has been left in to be shown.

It's still a good show, and we'll DVR and watch them at a later time.

I did meet Ryan Stiles during a meet-and-greet when he was in Wilmington DE doing a "Who's Line Live" (or some title like that), where they're basically doing the stage version of the show.  And we saw the Who's Line Live in Atlantic City where Ryan and Wayne Brady were there...with a surprise unannounced guest, who happened to be Drew Carey.

tmoore952

:hmmm:
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 09, 2024, 07:44:20 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on February 07, 2024, 06:55:27 PM
...recent versions of Who's Line Is It Anyway? are humorous in edgy ways. They say things on there that I didn't think you were allowed to say on TV.

I believe it's their last season.  They were in a contract dispute, partially due to royalties from the shows being re-aired, and managed to get that resolved.  They are shooting several shows a day, and it's obvious as the audience is sometimes the same, and Aisha Tyler and the participants aren't changing clothes between shoots.  So they are basically figuring they have nothing to lose this season and dialing it in on some occasions. 

They are definitely reaching the limits of what can be said on TV.  Well, actually, they're clearly saying stuff that can't which gets bleeped and blurred, but I am surprised as some of what has been left in to be shown.

It's still a good show, and we'll DVR and watch them at a later time.

I did meet Ryan Stiles during a meet-and-greet when he was in Wilmington DE doing a "Who's Line Live" (or some title like that), where they're basically doing the stage version of the show.  And we saw the Who's Line Live in Atlantic City where Ryan and Wayne Brady were there...with a surprise unannounced guest, who happened to be Drew Carey.

I wish I had gone to see Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood when they were at the Strathmore (near me in Bethesda MD) a few months ago, but timing didn't work out. Think it was similar to what you saw in Wilmington and Atlantic City.

Yes they were taping several shows in a short amount of time. In the first show that aired this year, one of them said something about them doing a block of taping but it sounded like it was over a week or two (which would still allow for multiple shows taped in a day).

kphoger

Our family has recently started watching a "reality" show in which seemingly every other word of the arguments is bleeped out.  Why did they bother saying those words to begin with, then?  It's frustrating when half the conversation you're trying to listen to is bleeps.  Especially for the "host" of the show, who is no amateur at TV shows and manages to avoid it in other shows he's starred in.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

I'm disappointed that you can't cuss on cable anymore. We first got cable in 1983, and one of the advantages of cable back then was that people cussed. Now they just bleep everything out.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 11:59:17 AM

Our family has recently started watching a "reality" show in which seemingly every other word of the arguments is bleeped out.  Why did they bother saying those words to begin with, then?  It's frustrating when half the conversation you're trying to listen to is bleeps.  Especially for the "host" of the show, who is no amateur at TV shows and manages to avoid it in other shows he's starred in.

Because it gets attention and people know it's "real".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.