News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Forum Upgrade (05/29/12)

Started by rickmastfan67, May 29, 2012, 08:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

We will be upgrading the forum tonight, which requires some downtime of the forum software. Please be patient when you see the forum in maintenance mode. Thanks!

rickmastfan67

Ok, we've now upgraded to SMF 2.0.2.

Please report here if you encounter any problems so we can fix them.

national highway 1

In the 'edit profile' section the input boxes for resubmitting your social network username are misaligned with the text. I accidentally typed my Facebook username in the 'MySpace' input box.
Other than this, I am satisfied by the overhaul. Very sleek and modern, and a good way to transition into the 2010s. :clap:
Interesting how you've removed all trace of 'ethanman62187'... :bigass:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

rickmastfan67

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 30, 2012, 02:50:25 AM
In the 'edit profile' section the input boxes for resubmitting your social network username are misaligned with the text. I accidentally typed my Facebook username in the 'MySpace' input box.

What browser are you using?  I'm currently using Firefox 13 beta 5 and they look fine here.

national highway 1

I'm currently using IE8
(yes I know it's not the best, but...)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

rickmastfan67

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 30, 2012, 03:01:13 AM
I'm currently using IE8
(yes I know it's not the best, but...)

Try turning on "Compatibility Mode" in IE8 for this site.  Might fix your problem.

Or upgrade to IE9 if it's possible (as long as you're not running XP).

Zmapper

Is the forum upgrade the reason for the new quote layout? If so, great job!

hbelkins

The posts look different, for some reason. There's been some change in the font, or the font spacing, and IMHO not for the better. (Viewing in Safari 5.1.7 on a MacBook Pro).

As I learned this past weekend from upgrading my iPhone to iOS 5.1, "new" does not always mean "better."

Were there specific reasons for upgrading the forum software, or did you just upgrade because an upgrade was available?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2012, 10:03:56 AM
The posts look different, for some reason. There's been some change in the font, or the font spacing, and IMHO not for the better. (Viewing in Safari 5.1.7 on a MacBook Pro).

I'll look into seeing if I can tweak this later today when I have some free time.  I still have to original CSS file from the old branch of the forum software and I'll compare the two.

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2012, 10:03:56 AM
Were there specific reasons for upgrading the forum software, or did you just upgrade because an upgrade was available?

Yes, Alex was worried about being hacked and he wanted the forum to be as secure as possible.  Also with the upgrade, it gave us Admins and the rest of the mod crew some new features to hopefully prevent "idiots" like sr641 from causing too much trouble in the future. ;)

Quote from: Zmapper on May 30, 2012, 08:58:24 AM
Is the forum upgrade the reason for the new quote layout? If so, great job!

Believe it or not, that just happened by sheer luck when playing around in the CSS files to fix something else.  But I like it that way myself. :)

Takumi

The font looks the same, but the spacing is definitely different.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vdeane

Yeah, the spacing is way off from what it was before.  Sometimes it looks good, like the forum index or the quotes.  Other times, it makes me think someone tried to copy the new gmail interface.

Some buttons are broken visually, such as mark all messages as read, link to calendar, logout, mark read, and print.

For reference, I'm using Google Chrome.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Alps

The icons to the left need more space - in general the horizontal spacing is off, but qguy's icon had a scroll bar beneath it!

Alps

OH, and now for a feature that people can appreciate, images have become clickable. If it's larger than 800 px wide, when you click, it'll expand to original size. Click again, and it shrinks back.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: deanej on May 30, 2012, 12:19:07 PM
Yeah, the spacing is way off from what it was before.  Sometimes it looks good, like the forum index or the quotes.  Other times, it makes me think someone tried to copy the new gmail interface.

Trust me, didn't try to copy the Gmail interface. lol.

Quote from: deanej on May 30, 2012, 12:19:07 PM
Some buttons are broken visually, such as mark all messages as read, link to calendar, logout, mark read, and print.

Might want to attempt a force refresh.  Back right after we got the theme re-installed, some of the buttons were missing.  A force refresh of the page fixed that.  And this was in Firefox 13b5.

Quote from: Steve on May 30, 2012, 06:20:49 PM
The icons to the left need more space - in general the horizontal spacing is off, but qguy's icon had a scroll bar beneath it!

That's not happening at all here.

What type of browser are you using Steve and what's the size of your screen?  If you have a small enough screen, I could see the scroll bar showing up.

rickmastfan67

And I've now tweaked the font setup some.  Let me know if you think it's better on your ends or not.

Quillz

Everything looks exactly the same to me as before. Which I guess is a good thing.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 31, 2012, 02:28:10 AM
And I've now tweaked the font setup some.  Let me know if you think it's better on your ends or not.

No change. Still looks like it did after the upgrade.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2012, 10:46:32 AM

Did you force refresh the page? (Ctrl+F5)  Because I did notice some change when I made the tweaks to the font settings.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 31, 2012, 10:50:19 AM
Did you force refresh the page? (Ctrl+F5)  Because I did notice some change when I made the tweaks to the font settings.

Ctrl-F5? What's that! (Says the Mac user...)  :biggrin:

I did hit the reload button, which should do the same thing.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2012, 11:09:46 AM

Ctrl-F5? What's that! (Says the Mac user...)  :biggrin:

I did hit the reload button, which should do the same thing.

Well, unfortunately I can't test to see if there was any changes on a Mac.  I do know that I did notice a change in Firefox 13b6 in Windows 7 x64.

agentsteel53

forum looks great to me.  I'm running Firefox 12.0 on Windows 7. 

I see some very tiny formatting changes, but nothing substantial.  for example, this reply box has a light gray background, when before I believe it was light green.

then again, I hardly ever look at individual topics - my default view is "last posts on the forum", regardless of specific subtopic area.  so there are a lot of things I do not see very often.

in other news, are our avatars allowed to be bigger now?  if so, what is the largest size allowed?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 31, 2012, 11:18:17 AM
in other news, are our avatars allowed to be bigger now?

Avatar settings are still the same from before the forum upgrade.

vdeane

I think so... neither Shift + F5 nor Ctrl + F5 worked in Chrome, but visiting with another computer that never saw the pre-upgrade version of the forum did.  I guess I need to reformat and re-install my laptop just to fix these buttons.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: deanej on June 01, 2012, 06:00:16 PM

I think so... neither Shift + F5 nor Ctrl + F5 worked in Chrome, but visiting with another computer that never saw the pre-upgrade version of the forum did.  I guess I need to reformat and re-install my laptop just to fix these buttons.

You know, you don't have to re-install your laptop.  Just delete your catch for Chrome (I don't know how to do it since I don't have that browser installed) and then try again.  That "should" fix the problem I would think.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.