News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

U.S. 6 across northern Pennsylvania

Started by A.J. Bertin, February 15, 2015, 09:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I will be attending Adam Moss's meet in the Scranton PA area in March and am already thinking about the route I will take from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Thursday night I will drive from Grand Rapids to the Cleveland area. Friday morning I will leave Cleveland and take U.S. 6 all the way across northern Pennsylvania toward Scranton.

Is there anything I should know about that stretch of U.S. 6? Will I run into any slowdowns headed eastbound out of Cleveland on a Friday morning? What about in Pennsylvania... any construction or slowdowns? Also, is the route scenic?

Any information anyone can share would be appreciated!
-A.J. from Michigan

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

ctsignguy

It may be done by now, but there were two rather lengthy detours in Western PA.....6 was detoured north on US 19 for a spell where 6N ends (bridge replacement) about a 15 minute side trip.  One other detour that was pretty short but that was it. 
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

hbelkins

You'll be driving though an area that's called the Grand Canyon of the North. I've done parts of US 6 on two separate occasions. I drove the portion between US 15 and US 220 several years ago, and then later that year drove most of the route between US 15 and PA 66 (minus the segment between PA 872 and PA 155).

Here are some photos from the portion west of US 15, heading west:

This is a shot heading east between Mansfield and Troy:

And don't forget to "Do 6!" while you're in Pennsylvania.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
You'll be driving though an area that's called the Grand Canyon of the North.
US 6 only clips the north end of the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" at Ansonia. PA 414 and PA 44 run through it farther south.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

briantroutman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 15, 2015, 09:15:17 AM
Is there anything I should know about that stretch of U.S. 6? Will I run into any slowdowns headed eastbound out of Cleveland on a Friday morning? What about in Pennsylvania... any construction or slowdowns? Also, is the route scenic?

While I haven't driven US 6 border to border in my home state, the sections I have driven have not piqued my interest. Actually to the contrary, I have heard reports from a number of people who said that the drive was not particularly scenic or rewarding and simply wasted their time.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
You'll be driving though an area that's called the Grand Canyon of the North.

Quote from: NE2 on February 15, 2015, 10:58:16 PM
US 6 only clips the north end of the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" at Ansonia. PA 414 and PA 44 run through it farther south.

Right–Pine Creek Gorge (a.k.a. "The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" ) isn't that remarkable to begin with–particularly at that time of the year–and it isn't even slightly visible from US 6. The attractions that the "Do 6"  people trumpet aren't routed in the scenic value of road itself but have more to do with making short side trips, stopping at antique stores, staying overnight at bed-and-breakfast-type inns, etc.

Dougtone

Along US 6 in the Keystone State, you'll encounter a lot of scenery that is similar to the photos that H.B. has posted already on this thread.  There are not a lot of towns that you'll go through, but you will see a lot of rolling hills and farmland.  I've seen more scenic roads around the Northeast, but US 6 is certainly a pleasant drive and will be a full day of driving.  If you're able to budget the time, you may want to take a short detour (about 4 miles each way) and check out Kinzua Bridge State Park.  Seeing the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania would be a longer detour, but may be worthwhile to see as well.

Mr_Northside

I was also going to mention Kinzua Bridge State Park.
I'd been there 3-4 times as a kid when the bridge was intact.  I still haven't been up there since the tornado to see the down part of the bridge, but I want to at some point.

Of course, if the weather sucks, it might not be worth it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jemacedo9

I was at Kinzua Bridge this summer...it's a definite must see...you can walk out to the end of the still-standing portion, and you can see the remains sitting on the valley floor. 

Alps

US 6 is incredibly slow. Multiply Google's time by at least 1.25.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2015, 09:51:13 PM

That's unusual. Unless something has changed, I've found Google to vastly overrate the time, even on two-lane routes.

wphiii

Quote from: briantroutman on February 15, 2015, 11:30:21 PM
While I haven't driven US 6 border to border in my home state, the sections I have driven have not piqued my interest. Actually to the contrary, I have heard reports from a number of people who said that the drive was not particularly scenic or rewarding and simply wasted their time.

I mean it doesn't have to be the PCH to be exponentially more interesting than I-80.

hbelkins

Quote from: wphiii on February 19, 2015, 12:38:40 PM
I mean it doesn't have to be the PCH to be exponentially more interesting than I-80.

I think I-80 in Pennsylvania east of I-79 is very scenic.

A.J. Bertin

Thanks to everyone for your input! My rationale for taking U.S. 6 is that it will give me the opportunity to clinch a significant stretch of that highway. I do agree with the person who said that I-80 east of I-79 is scenic, but I've taken that route several times in the past and need something different.

Of course it will be slower. My plan will be to leave the Cleveland area early enough in the morning to make it to Scranton by, say, 4 or 5 p.m.  I'm planning on it being a 10-hour drive (Google says 8 hours 37 minutes), so if I leave Cleveland by 6 a.m. I should be in decent shape.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 11:17:45 AM
Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2015, 09:51:13 PM

That's unusual. Unless something has changed, I've found Google to vastly overrate the time, even on two-lane routes.
Vastly depends on where you are. On lightly traveled back roads, absolutely. On dirt roads, even more so, because it assumes about 25 mph when you can easily go 45. On heavily traveled 2-lanes with trucks? You'll have the opposite problem.

A.J. Bertin

So... I "did 6" last Friday and really enjoyed the drive! I left the Cleveland suburb of Independence at around 6:15 a.m. and got on U.S. 6 at 6:39 a.m.  It was around 8 a.m. when I crossed the OH/PA state line, and it was indeed an all-day excursion. By the time I got to the hotel in Moosic PA, it was about 5 p.m.

Overall it was a fun experience, but yes... it was slow in spots. However, there wasn't too much traffic and I was able to drive faster than the speed limit most of the time. In many places, especially through and east of the Allegheny National Forest, there were a lot of rolling hills and it was quite enjoyable. Funny story though... when I got to the town of Wellsboro, I ended up accidentally missing my turn to stay on U.S. 6 because I was distracted by the quaintness of the downtown area (and by snapping a photo of it). Well, immediately after I missed my turn, I realized what I'd done so I turned around to get back to U.S. 6. I was too concerned about getting back on U.S. 6 that I completely missed the "No turn on red" sign and the cop who was also at that corner watching my every move. I was about three-quarters the way through my turn when I noticed the sign and the cop. Needless to say, I got pulled over. The cop was really nice, but I just apologized and explained to him exactly what had happened (missed my turn and whatnot). Fortunately he didn't give me a ticket.

All in all, this drive was well worth it. Quite an experience. Even though there was some snow on the road in spots, it didn't really impact the drive for me at all other than making my car really disgusting with all the sand/salt/etc.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.