News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why do SO many people hate snow?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemacedo9

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM
...potentially cause you a lot of cash on your way to work...

It's this...I love a good snow day, and spending 9 years in the WNY Lake Effect belt, I can handle snow...but it's the thought of sitting at a red light minding own business, watching someone else slide towards me because they're a jackass that annoys me to no end.  As others have said...it's the people and/or vehicles who don't belong on the roads, who still do so, that make it annoying.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

J N Winkler

I don't mind snow per se.  For that matter, I don't mind the cold or dark at this time of year.  However, I would hesitate to winter in the snow belt because salt and other deicing chemicals greatly shorten the life of car underbodies, brake lines, suspension components, etc. even with modern rustproofing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Personally, I enjoy commuting in the dark. It wouldn't be a real holiday season without doing so, and it makes congestion infinitely more bearable.

Having lived all of my 18 years in the Great Lakes Snow Belt, I have probably seen more snow already than most of y'all will see in a lifetime. Today is the tenth day so far this season that we've had two or more inches fall. We have an insane amount of freeze-thaw cycles, so we rarely have more than two feet at once, but still end up with about 100 inches per season on average. Also, Rochester benefits from both Lake Erie snow (early season), and Lake Ontario snow (late season). That means we can easily outdo Buffalo when it comes to yearly snowfall.

texaskdog

37 Winters in Minnesota and I moved to Austin TX.  I could handle the snow and cold but summers are too short.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:25:27 PM
Having lived all of my 18 years in the Great Lakes Snow Belt, I have probably seen more snow already than most of y'all will see in a lifetime. Today is the tenth day so far this season that we've had two or more inches fall.

Meanwhile, I know people 300 miles south of the Mexican border who have had snow twice already this year, and we in Wichita have had zero.  WTF??
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 05:00:27 PM
Having lived all of my 18 years in the Great Lakes Snow Belt, I have probably seen more snow already than most of y'all will see in a lifetime. Today is the tenth day so far this season that we've had two or more inches fall.

Meanwhile, I know people 300 miles south of the Mexican border who have had snow twice already this year, and we in Wichita have had zero.  WTF??

And Portland is also slated to get snow now it seems. Don't know if I should feel bad for you or not based on what your opinion is.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

slorydn1

Growing up in the midwest on both sides of Lake Michigan I loved a good lake effect blizzard-when I was a kid.

Now that I am an adult with responsibilities, places to go-things to do I don't like snow any more.

And yes, all the jokes about the southeast and snow are correct. My youngest missed more school days due to snow during the winter of 2013-2014 than I did my ENTIRE school career from pre-k to college-and we never recieved more than 3 inches in any one snow event that winter.

If the weatherman says that there is a system that bears some watching in the next week to 10 days every store runs out of bread and milk by the end of that business day.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 05:00:27 PM

And Corpus Christi, Texas has seen more snow so far this winter than Salt Lake City.

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember one year my area (where on average it snows once per year) got snow before Chicago!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US71

My problem is people who don't know how to drive in snow.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Snowfall here is rare...therefore it is beautiful! Working in the snow is fun, but challenging sometimes due to footing.

But ice is another story. You can keep the ice. If it ever ices again it will be too soon.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 11:59:31 AM

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down. In most of the northern United States and in high-elevation areas, about 99.5% do. However, this means 0.5% doesn't, which means in a place like Chicago, you'll encounter an idiot every few minutes.

Sources: Personal experience here, relatives in Atlanta, and Brandon's posts

(The number may be slightly higher or lower.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:46 PM

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

One could argue that about the west coast as well.

Running till I die.

US 89

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don't have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Here in Salt Lake City, anyone who's a Utah native knows how to drive in snow. The problem is the SoCal transplants who don't understand that if the road is white, it's not going to have as much traction.

cjk374

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 25, 2017, 01:59:01 AM

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular......and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Are you kidding me???  :wow:  :eyebrow: Many many people have 4 wheel drive pick up trucks....for hunting & mud boggin'! Please watch the video to see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/TLEDieVhirQ

And there are plenty of front wheel drive cars to go around. I own one.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don’t have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

It's almost unheard of for a vehicle NOT to have front wheel drive.  And some vehicles like the Honda CRV are mainly all-wheel drive vehicles.  They do sell a front-wheel drive version in the south.  But, regardless, it's not like when people move from the north to the south they have to surrender their vehicle for a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

J N Winkler

"Almost unheard of for a vehicle NOT to have front-wheel drive" overstates the case a bit.  Besides pickups, which are universally RWD unless equipped with 4x4 or AWD, RWD (with optional AWD) is still the norm for luxury sedans and high-performance cars.

I think it is true that pickups and other default-RWD vehicles are better represented in the vehicle population in the Deep South than in northern states.  But I also suspect a factor in the extreme response to winter weather down south is the greater likelihood of ice as the major form of precipitation in a winter storm.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Re:  RWD –
My 2006 Pathfinder SUV is rear-wheel drive as well.  I do have 4WD, but the base model without 4WD is also rear drive.

Re: Drivers in the South –
We bought a car in Tennessee one February, and we had to drive through some sleet and ice in western Kentucky to get there.  To be fair, we did see some accidents, including one rolled-over tractor-trailer being unloaded sideways in the right lane of I-24.  But it really was annoying to be driving along at 55 mph and come upon someone doing 30 mph.  Without fail, cars with Illinois or Missouri license plates were going 50-60 mph, while cars with Georgia or South Carolina plates were going 30-40 mph.  But I guess I'd rather have that than a bunch of wrecks.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Once, I was driving the stretch of I-40 between I-26 and Knoxville–this was January 2011–and even though snow was falling, the Interstate was fairly clear and I was doing probably 45-50 in the left lane. I was passing everyone with a TN/NC license plate. My car at the time was a Ford Taurus–not exactly the exemplar of winter driving...

Flint1979

I was traveling on I-75 between Saginaw and Flint, Michigan the other day. I was heading SB towards Flint and I think I passed almost every car that was on the highway. Everyone was doing about 50 mph at the most and I was doing 80 mph since the road was clear and there wasn't any ice or anything. I just don't get why people are only doing 50 mph on I-75 when the conditions were clear and the minimum speed limit is 55. I blew past these cars like they were standing still. If you don't know how to drive on an Interstate highway do us all a favor and don't get on the highway at all, there are alternate routes you can use.

jwolfer

Quote from: cjk374 on December 25, 2017, 08:45:28 AM

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular......and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Are you kidding me???  :wow:  :eyebrow: Many many people have 4 wheel drive pick up trucks....for hunting & mud boggin'! Please watch the video to see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/TLEDieVhirQ

And there are plenty of front wheel drive cars to go around. I own one.
I had the same reaction.. 4wd is a status symbol in the South LOL.. and most cars are FWD

Z981

triplemultiplex

I like snow.  It weeds out the riff-raff.

The cold can get a little tiresome, but without it, you don't really appreciate summer I think.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 27, 2017, 10:17:21 AM

The cold can get a little tiresome, but without it, you don't really appreciate summer I think.

100% agree. No cold=a hate for summer instead.

Running till I die.

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 28, 2017, 03:13:17 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 27, 2017, 10:17:21 AM

100% agree. No cold=a hate for summer instead.

Highs in the 30s and 40s are low enough to make me appreciate summer again.  You can keep the single digits and negative numbers.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.