News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 05, 2020, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2020, 11:12:59 AM
This is very wrong. US 75 is no where near Houston.
It was down there until its truncation in 1987. That may be a very old sign or just a modern screwup.

Where in Houston did you see this? As mentioned already, US 75 used to terminate at Galveston.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Some may not spot the error.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Major error: you're on 64, but approaching AR 5

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 04:31:49 PM

It met 3/4-way between "meat cleaver" shield and empty circle.

Bruce

A new-ish sign spotted in Seattle while driving around a few nights ago:

(Will have to do a re-take on my next trip down)

STLmapboy

Quote from: Bruce on September 09, 2020, 05:32:20 PM

Maybe the CHAZ department of transportation (CHAZDOT) has influenced the signage of SDOT? :-o
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

Should be south AR 59. US 59 is 7 miles away in Oklahoma :)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Forgive my ignorance, but what's erroneous?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

weirdly shaped interstate shield

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2020, 10:56:03 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what's erroneous?

I-90
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Oh.  Just another 'wrong shield blank' error.

meh
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 09:57:43 AM
Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 04:31:49 PM

It met 3/4-way between "meat cleaver" shield and empty circle.

And they centered the exit tab. A twofer.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

I personally love the look of centered exit tabs.
Male pronouns, please.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2020, 02:05:41 PM
I personally love the look of centered exit tabs.

Agreed. Plus you don't have to deal with an interim post sticking up for a right justified tab.

-Yogi Berra

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2020, 11:15:47 AM

meh

Yeah, but relatively speaking, this is pretty weird in WA. Last time I can think of an Interstate/State Route mix-up was in the early 2000s, when I-705 was shown as WA-705.

I think US/State Route mixups are far more common.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 10, 2020, 04:19:59 PM

meh

Yeah, but relatively speaking, this is pretty weird in WA. Last time I can think of an Interstate/State Route mix-up was in the early 2000s, when I-705 was shown as WA-705.

about 1986 I read in the paper that Washington was planning on upgrading Highway 18 to Interstate standards.  And then I saw an Interstate 18 shield posted a few blocks north of Green River Community College when I was riding in a car.  It was quickly replaced, and I didn't have a digital camera then anyway.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 10, 2020, 10:39:06 PM

meh

about 1986 I read in the paper that Washington was planning on upgrading Highway 18 to Interstate standards.  And then I saw an Interstate 18 shield posted a few blocks north of Green River Community College when I was riding in a car.  It was quickly replaced, and I didn't have a digital camera then anyway.

Was it a joke I-18 put up by someone in the community in support of the upgrade, or an actual I-18 shield installed erroneously?

STLmapboy

This left exit sign and this exit only sign should not be used for a signalized left turn! And these signs are only 5 years old. Great job MoDOT.

What they had before was better, even if it didn't mention I-64.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2020, 11:11:24 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 10, 2020, 10:39:06 PM

meh

Was it a joke I-18 put up by someone in the community in support of the upgrade, or an actual I-18 shield installed erroneously?

It looked very authentic for the two seconds that I saw it.  This was years before Photoshop.

Katavia

On I-85 in Charlotte, NC:

Exit 46B doesn't exist heading southbound. It does exist northbound, but that sign uses an ampersand rather than a hyphen. So it's probably not a case of "just copy the other sign".

Southbound sign:

Northbound sign:

(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

hotdogPi

A stop sign is supposed to mean that there's a cross street (or pedestrian/bike path) that you have to stop for. There is no cross street here. This dirt road is part of a semi-private property shortcut from one area to another part of the same residential area. Apple Maps thinks it's a real road but not Google Maps, and OSM has it as a thin line, thinner than regular streets. What are you supposed to stop for here? It should probably say "Do not enter – residents only", except that it's too late to comply if you're already on the street and not a resident.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

mrsman

Along the same lines as above, this is a full stop sign that is required not to stop for cross traffic, but to come to a complete stop to ensure that you will then downshift and ride as slow as possible.  This is a STEEP downhill.  Loma Vista Dr Beverly Hills, CA

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1084934,-118.3921293,3a,75y,179.16h,85.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB7NQ3enikApC5uZWJxOkwQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not a mistake.  But a rare example of a stop sign without a cross street.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on September 15, 2020, 02:48:27 PM
Along the same lines as above, this is a full stop sign that is required not to stop for cross traffic, but to come to a complete stop to ensure that you will then downshift and ride as slow as possible.  This is a STEEP downhill.  Loma Vista Dr Beverly Hills, CA

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1084934,-118.3921293,3a,75y,179.16h,85.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB7NQ3enikApC5uZWJxOkwQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's a wicked downhill stretch there. I have never seen a residential street with a runaway truck ramp.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on September 15, 2020, 02:56:16 PM

That's a wicked downhill stretch there. I have never seen a residential street with a runaway truck ramp.

The street gets a lot more traffic than you would think, because there are so few connections between Mullholland Drive and Sunset.  There are a handful of major ones like the freeways, Laurel Canyon, Coldwater Canyon, Beverly Glen.  If Coldwater Canyon gets busy, enough traffic makes a left onto Cherokee Ln that leads to Loma Vista as an alternate way to reach Sunset Blvd.

Given the downhill, the city believes that the best shot of people driving this stretch safely is if people start the downhill at the speed of 0 MPH (with a full stop).  Arguably, this stop sign is probably not needed any more as there is now a full stop and roundabout at Carla Ridge about 500 feet behind the stop sign at the crest of the hill.  [Don't know when that was put in, but I know it didn't exist when I explored the area in the 1990's.]

CovalenceSTU

14% grade?  :wow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.