News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

R.I.P. Tom Wolfe

Started by jon daly, May 16, 2018, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

He didn't write about roads, AFAICT, but he wrote about cars and them men who raced them and customized them. I never read The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby, but I have read Wolfe's profile of Junior Johnson in another compilation.

abefroman329

I've only read The Right Stuff and The Bonfire of the Vanities.

One has held up well, one...not so much.  One was adapted into a great film, one...not so much.

Mr_Northside

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jon daly

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 16, 2018, 03:31:24 PM
I've only read The Right Stuff and The Bonfire of the Vanities.

One has held up well, one...not so much.  One was adapted into a great film, one...not so much.

I'm unorthodox, so I enjoy non-fiction and liked The Kingdom of Speech about linguistics and The Painted Word about art criticism.

Doctor Whom

I've read The Bonfire of the Vanities, From Bauhaus to Our House, and parts of Mauve Gloves & Madmen, Clutter & Vine. I found Bonfire disappointing because it seemed that Wolfe wanted to manipulate the reader into sympathizing with an unsympathetic character and because, in some parts, he seemed a little too eager to round up the usual suspects.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.