News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Without AC

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, May 27, 2018, 08:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 81

I grew up without A/C in TX. Elementary school and most public buildings were un-airconditioned. People survived, but I personally am probably extra mean and grumpy to this day because of it.  :-/

Fans. Ceiling fans. Box fans in the windows. Windows and interior doors open to allow for ventilation through the house. Screen doors if you can.

Wet clothing and hair. (not wet enough to drip but enough for the fans to be able to do evaporative cooling.) Wet bandana across forehead or neck.

Lightweight loose clothing. Cotton gauze/guayabera shirts/seersucker fabrics. (Sometimes you feel cooler with two layers, like an undershirt and a guayabera - it's counter-intuitive, but it often works)

Beltway

Quote from: US 81 on May 28, 2018, 09:12:08 AM
I grew up without A/C in TX. Elementary school and most public buildings were un-airconditioned. People survived, but I personally am probably extra mean and grumpy to this day because of it.  :-/

The elementary school I went to in central Florida in the 1960s didn't have AC.  Of course the school year misses most of the summer.  After the first couple weeks of school the temps become more moderate.

The junior high was built new in the late 1960s and it did have AC thruout the building.  Most of the high school's buildings were much older and did not have AC.

Our house was built new in the early 1960s and had central AC with ductwork in the attic, so that was a modern installation for the time.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

The point about keeping the window coverings closed if possible (unless they have to be open to use a fan) is an excellent point, especially on the side that gets the mid-afternoon sun.

None of the schools I attended growing up had AC. The teachers did what they could with fans.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

My dad was a fan of black vehicles. We did not have air conditioning in a vehicle until he bought a new car in 1979, shortly after I graduated from high school. Most of our summer vacations were taken to areas south of here.  It was miserable.

I spent the first 15 or so years of my life living in an old single-wide metal mobile home. We had one air conditioner for the whole thing, a big window unit in the front area (kitchen/dining area.) That thing got very toasty if the AC was turned off for any significant period of time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tchafe1978

I grew up without AC until sometime in high school when we finally had central air installed when it was time for a new furnace. What my dad used to do at night was open all the windows in the bedrooms, leave the bedroom doors all open, and then turn on the large almost industrial-sized window fan in the living room. He would have it blowing out, so it would suck out all the warm air from the day and cool night air would flow in the windows in the rest of the house. I put my bed right under the window and it was usually pretty comfortable sleeping. During the day we'd spend most of our time in the basement where it was usually 5-10 degrees cooler. This was in the Milwaukee, WI area. Summers are usually pretty humid. And we weren't close enough to Lake Michigan to get any of the cooling effect of the lake.

webny99

Any time frame for getting your AC back? And does it cool down at night at all?
I don't think I'd last long in those conditions, although staying hydrated, reducing food consumption, and using fans will all help.

(Sometimes you feel cooler with two layers, like an undershirt and a guayabera - it's counter-intuitive, but it often works)

Two layers? I think I'd prefer none to two, lol  :-D
I can't sleep fully clothed even in the winter, much less the summer with no AC  :ded:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 06:01:30 PM
I don't think I'd last long in those conditions, although staying hydrated, reducing food consumption, and using fans will all help.

(Sometimes you feel cooler with two layers, like an undershirt and a guayabera - it's counter-intuitive, but it often works)

I can't sleep fully clothed even in the winter, much less the summer with no AC  :ded:

The main drawback (aside from possibly offending family or others) to the no shirt approach is you tend to stick to the fabric to furniture in high heat.   In that 105F example from Phoenix I kept a layer on so I wouldn't stick to my couch.  I was going to sweat anyways so might as well not stick to things too.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 28, 2018, 06:16:43 PM
The main drawback (aside from possibly offending family or others) to the no shirt approach is you tend to stick to the fabric to furniture in high heat.   In that 105F example from Phoenix I kept a layer on so I wouldn't stick to my couch.  I was going to sweat anyways so might as well not stick to things too.

Yeah, I was referring mainly to sleeping. But as far as lounging around the house, you've got a legitimate point, which I hadn't thought of, as I don't make a practice of lounging around shirtless (for good reason, of course ;-))

In my own case, I'd likely be at work or otherwise away from home during the primary heat of the day. If I wasn't, though? Yeesh. I'd probably find somewhere else to stay. Or stay outside, but at a certain temperature, even that is hardly bearable (if not worse).

index

Quote from: Road Hog on May 27, 2018, 09:50:38 PM
Get yourself a little window unit (about 5,000 BTU) to run in your bedroom. It will significantly save your summer electric bill.

My room gets awfully hot in the summer. My father has a spare one and he'd let me have it, but the neighborhood HOAholes will complain if I installed it. It's against their code for some asinine reason. Because I can't have an AC unit, I've resorted to having three fans in my room. When summer reaches it's peak, though, they're little help. They just blow hot air.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

Quote from: Beltway on May 28, 2018, 06:41:24 AM
Quote from: US 89 on May 28, 2018, 06:01:08 AM
I was in Oklahoma a couple summers ago, and the heat was almost unbearable. Temperatures were more than 100 with dewpoints pushing 80. Heat index was close to 120, and the weather service issued an Excessive Heat Warning. In that kind of weather, if you want to do something outside, it has to be before sunrise and even then, it's still gonna be uncomfortable. After the sun comes up, unless you're going swimming, it is damn near impossible to be out there for more than a few minutes at a time. I can't imagine what that would be like without AC.

How did they manage being outdoors before the days of AC?

We more or less didn't. We weren't a state until 1907 (five years after the first Carrier air conditioner). Before that, we were a dumping ground for people that the US government wanted to go away. Pre-statehood settlers often lived in houses made of sod to shelter them from the heat.

Oklahoma's late development as a state also explains why its cities are far less urbanized than in neighboring states–Oklahoma City and Tulsa had a relatively scant amount of time to develop before the car was introduced.

The interesting part is that in Oklahoma, dewpoint does not necessarily correlate with storms: just because the dewpoint is high doesn't really mean the chance of storms is also high. Compare that with a place like Utah, where if the dewpoint is above 50 there is almost always a good chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.

In fact, it's rather almost the opposite–spring thunderstorms in Oklahoma are generally fired off of the "dry line", which is the boundary between the humid air mass generally found over central and eastern Oklahoma and the more arid desert air in New Mexico and the Texas panhandle. The dry line is generally located somewhere around the north—south Texas—Oklahoma line during the day. As afternoon passes, the dry line advances east, triggering storms in much the same way that a warm front does. At night, the line returns to its usual location.

After spending enough time in Oklahoma, one becomes sensitive to the "right kind" of humid that's indicative of storms. There is simply a feeling to the particular flavor of instability that tends to indicate favorable conditions for supercell development.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

qguy

hbelkins

Quote from: index on May 29, 2018, 12:44:01 AM
My room gets awfully hot in the summer. My father has a spare one and he'd let me have it, but the neighborhood HOAholes will complain if I installed it. It's against their code for some asinine reason. Because I can't have an AC unit, I've resorted to having three fans in my room. When summer reaches it's peak, though, they're little help. They just blow hot air.

More evidence that HOAs are evil.

The solution in this case is to get one of those little portable on-wheels units. They have a flexible exhaust hose that mounts inconspicuously in the window. The unit remains inside. That's less likely to draw the ire of the communists who run your HOA.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2018, 11:06:37 AM
Quote from: index on May 29, 2018, 12:44:01 AM

More evidence that HOAs are evil.

The solution in this case is to get one of those little portable on-wheels units. They have a flexible exhaust hose that mounts inconspicuously in the window. The unit remains inside. That's less likely to draw the ire of the communists who run your HOA.

It's probably something about "damaging the look of the neighborhood". As if anyone would care besides them. My neighborhood's HOA had also whined when a temporary clothesline was installed in my backyard, due to our dryer not working. As for a portable AC unit, I'll definitely consider that.

On another note, I like it very cold. In hotels I'll typically turn the temperature down as low as possible, which is usually around 60.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I was over at my Grandparent's place for last night for some relief. I called the office today (around 10 o'clock) and asked about the status of the repairman, the manager said they should be by today -- they were supposed to come by over the weekend, but didn't.

While away, I left the box fan in the window on and the ceiling on the south side of the loft on, as well.

As far as cooling down at night, not too much:

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 27, 2018, 11:41:40 PM
As a person who becomes unbearably irritable and unpleasant when unwillingly subjected to prolonged temperatures much above 80°F, I will continue to consider refrigeration the greatest invention of the 20th century.
Hey, if I had room in the fridge, I’d be there right now.

The temperature hovers around 85-89 degrees, now you have to realize, it's Arkansas, so add a few degrees extra to the heat index.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2018, 05:32:26 AM
The interesting part is that in Oklahoma, dewpoint does not necessarily correlate with storms: just because the dewpoint is high doesn't really mean the chance of storms is also high. Compare that with a place like Utah, where if the dewpoint is above 50 there is almost always a good chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.

In fact, it's rather almost the opposite–spring thunderstorms in Oklahoma are generally fired off of the "dry line", which is the boundary between the humid air mass generally found over central and eastern Oklahoma and the more arid desert air in New Mexico and the Texas panhandle. The dry line is generally located somewhere around the north—south Texas—Oklahoma line during the day. As afternoon passes, the dry line advances east, triggering storms in much the same way that a warm front does. At night, the line returns to its usual location.

After spending enough time in Oklahoma, one becomes sensitive to the "right kind" of humid that's indicative of storms. There is simply a feeling to the particular flavor of instability that tends to indicate favorable conditions for supercell development.

Interesting. Out here the mountains usually perform the same function as a dryline in firing off storms. Of course, the mountains are always there, but we don't get storms every day because moisture is typically the limiting factor. So when dewpoints get into the 40s and 50s, it's almost certain that storms will fire over the mountains and then blow into the valleys.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

UPDATE:

So, they have fixed the A/C :bigass: :awesomeface:, but they said the compressor overheated and the fan fell off. The cool down for the compressor could take hours. so they're bringing me a window unit.

I am surprised by this, because we don't run it full blast during the day and it stay comfortable. At night it stays at 73 during cold times, I'd imagine 50's during the summer (right about now).

roadman

I have a window A/C unit in my spare bedroom.  I only need to use it three to five nights a year at most, as the window fan in my main bedroom normally keeps me cool enough that I can sleep.  Guess that's one of the benefits of having grown up in the generation before air conditioning units became cheap and compact enough that they are now considered a "necessity."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

In_Correct

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 27, 2018, 08:06:13 PM
So, I've been without A/C for two days and I have windows open, but the heat is very stagnant - humid. At the time of posting this, it's 88* and climbing. I am staying hydrated, anyone have tips for relieving some of this heat?

Thanks!

When clicking this, I thought your car's air conditioner broke. But I have a sun roof. The other one has air conditioning. If you have any heat sensitive things in your car, keep them in the shade such as behind the front seat and a towel gently on them.

Also, if you have a Motor Home with Air Conditioning, stay in that.

If possible, swim.

My house has only Window Units. The tiniest of Window Units designed to keep the Cavias and the Computers and other sensitive things cool. Also with the computers I have industrial metal fans blowing on them. I also have air purifiers to assist with the Window Units. I have also Whole House air purifiers also. Ceiling Fans. (and hydronic electric heaters ... I do not have any central any thing.)

I do not ever wear shirts at my house ... and usually not while driving. I have no shirt when I sleep and also like to exercise and rinse off over and over again. I drink plenty of water also I try to cook food in the middle of the night. I do not use clothes dryer in the summer.

Tiny Window Units do not use much electricity. And they are easy to purchase, carry, install, and replace. I avoid Home Owner's Associations like The Plague.

As for school buildings, some classrooms had their own HVAC units, but most of the classrooms used shared boilers for heat and shared air conditioners. In one of the campuses, some idiot installed extra blowers that operated separately from the main blowers which made the classrooms even hotter. If the teachers left the unit alone, the main blowers would be able to do their job and the air conditioning vents provided a gentle flow of cool air. The added blowers would knock posters off the wall and but sometimes suck air from outside. Some teachers added giant Window Units and did not even bother with the shared air conditioners.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

Wait, you're renting?

Having a broken AC is grounds to terminate your lease, or at the very least to get a discount on rent for May.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: Beltway on May 28, 2018, 06:41:24 AM
I was in Oklahoma a couple summers ago, and the heat was almost unbearable. Temperatures were more than 100 with dewpoints pushing 80. Heat index was close to 120, and the weather service issued an Excessive Heat Warning. In that kind of weather, if you want to do something outside, it has to be before sunrise and even then, it's still gonna be uncomfortable. After the sun comes up, unless you're going swimming, it is damn near impossible to be out there for more than a few minutes at a time. I can't imagine what that would be like without AC.

How did they manage being outdoors before the days of AC?

You don't miss what you never had.  They were used to it.  Coping strategies included drinking lots of water, doing hard physical work in the morning and evening and not so much in the middle of the afternoon, and wearing sun hats.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 27, 2018, 11:35:55 PM
Traditionally, air conditioning hasn't been necessary up here in the Northwest. But the summers have been getting unbearably warm and I'm close to giving up and buying a window unit just to survive the nights.

I've never been without A/C (father can't sweat), until two years ago. Went and bought a stand-up (portable) A/C unit about two weeks after moving (I moved in late Spring). Top five all-time investment. I cannot believe anyone would go on for months without A/C. They're a small price to pay in the big picture.

I also live in the South Sound which is traditionally warmer than the north sound, plus I lived inland more than a few miles which exacerbated things. I've already seen 90 degree readings this year (at least at my personal weather station in my yard).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on May 29, 2018, 07:54:16 PM
I've already seen 90 degree readings this year (at least at my personal weather station in my yard).
Cool! can you upload some pictures of it? Is it homemade or bought? What kinda contraptions does it have? A wind meter? A barometer?

webny99

Quote from: In_Correct on May 29, 2018, 06:14:12 PM
When clicking this, I thought your car's air conditioner broke. But I have a sun roof. The other one has air conditioning. If you have any heat sensitive things in your car, keep them in the shade such as behind the front seat and a towel gently on them.

Also, if you have a Motor Home with Air Conditioning, stay in that.

If possible, swim.

My house has only Window Units. The tiniest of Window Units designed to keep the Cavias and the Computers and other sensitive things cool. Also with the computers I have industrial metal fans blowing on them. I also have air purifiers to assist with the Window Units. I have also Whole House air purifiers also. Ceiling Fans. (and hydronic electric heaters ... I do not have any central any thing.)

I do not ever wear shirts at my house ... and usually not while driving. I have no shirt when I sleep and also like to exercise and rinse off over and over again. I drink plenty of water also I try to cook food in the middle of the night. I do not use clothes dryer in the summer.

Tiny Window Units do not use much electricity. And they are easy to purchase, carry, install, and replace. I avoid Home Owner's Associations like The Plague.

Lets just say by the time I got to the third sentence of this post, I quit trying to connect the dots. Don't take offense to that; I quite enjoyed the learning curve in expecting the unexpected :sombrero:

Max Rockatansky

Ironically this was the first day this year I fired up the AC.  We hit a high of 103F in Fresno and finally crossed the magic 82F night time temperature inside the house.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2018, 06:22:20 PM
Wait, you're renting?

Having a broken AC is grounds to terminate your lease, or at the very least to get a discount on rent for May.
We're considering a move. I am looking for a job, so when I can find a place, he may move to his boat.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.