News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License plate question

Started by cjk374, June 03, 2018, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

This morning I saw a Nebraska amateur radio license plate: AD0QH

The zero had a line through it, something I have never seen on any other plate. Is that only used for amateur radio plates to distinguish the zero from the letters "q" & "h"? Does any other state do that?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mgk920

Quote from: cjk374 on June 03, 2018, 11:25:02 AM

The zero had a line through it, something I have never seen on any other plate. Is that only used for amateur radio plates to distinguish the zero from the letters "q" & "h"? Does any other state do that?

I've seen Iowa do that ('Ø' instead of '0') on their regular issue plates, too.

Mike

abefroman329

I'm almost positive Illinois used to do that.

SSOWorld

Wisconsin doesn't use O. so it might be hard to do one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GaryV

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 03, 2018, 01:31:16 PM

Michigan either, as far as I know.  If you want a vanity plate with a word with an O (letter) in it, they replace it with a 0 (zero).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2018, 11:38:42 AM

I've seen Iowa do that ('Ø' instead of '0') on their regular issue plates, too.

Yep, all Iowa plates with a zero use a zero with a diagonal slash through them. I'm not sure I've seen any plates that are supposed to use the letter O, but I haven't paid much attention either. (Hence why I only recently learned, through this forum, that Iowa's using a new design printed on plastic plates and not aluminum! :-D I actually saw one of the new plates for the first time earlier today, and I had to do a double-take. It looked really fake to me.)

US 89

Quote from: GaryV on June 03, 2018, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on June 03, 2018, 01:31:16 PM

Michigan either, as far as I know.  If you want a vanity plate with a word with an O (letter) in it, they replace it with a 0 (zero).

Same for Utah. I don't think they use the letters I or Q either, although I'm not 100% sure about those.

roadfro

Nevada does not use the slash through the zero on license plates. The letter "O"  is not used in standard issue alphanumeric plates (neither is "I"  or "Q" ).

Nevada does allow "O"  in personalized plates. Interestingly, opposite from the characteristics of most typical fonts, the width of the letter "O"  character is thinner than the width of number "0" . (This was especially true in the 2000-era flat plates, where "0"  looked like a rounded rectangle whereas the letter "O"  looked more like a thinner oval.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

I know Iowa uses Q, largely because the plates for my car have one. :biggrin: I do believe I and O are not used, however. (Since this line of conversation started, I've been on the lookout, and haven't seen any.)

hotdogPi

Massachusetts plates almost always use 0 instead of O (which means that if you get a vanity plate that's a word with an O in it, your registration will expire in October*). However, I have seen the occasional O, which has more rectangular corners than the 0 does.

Q is not used, and I don't think I is, either.

*Last digit determines expiration month: 1-9 for January-September, and 0 for October. This does not apply for commercial vehicles, as far as I know; November/December expirations do exist.

----

New Hampshire uses digits only, numbered sequentially (they're in the 4 millions now despite only having a population of 1.2 million), unless it's a vanity plate. However, there are "moose plates", and I don't know which letters are or aren't used, or the difference between a "moose plate" and a regular plate.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

catch22

Amateur radio operators have traditionally used a "slash zero" to differentiate it from the letter O.  It's my guess that in some states, AROs have convinced the issuing authority to use this convention on ARO plates as well.  I don't recall ever seeing a Michigan ARO plate with a zero so I have no idea if that's the case here (most call signs around here have "8" for the region code).

kalvado

Quote from: catch22 on June 06, 2018, 01:26:18 PM

Amateur radio operators have traditionally used a "slash zero" to differentiate it from the letter O.  It's my guess that in some states, AROs have convinced the issuing authority to use this convention on ARO plates as well.  I don't recall ever seeing a Michigan ARO plate with a zero so I have no idea if that's the case here (most call signs around here have "8" for the region code).

Seems plausible. Quick google run:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.