News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

JayhawkCO

Bok Choy. Actually, all cabbage. Delicious when prepared correctly, and the best nutrient:cost ratio of any food.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 12:00:12 PM
Bok Choy. Actually, all cabbage. Delicious when prepared correctly, and the best nutrient:cost ratio of any food.

I agree.  Unfortunately, my wife dislikes most cabbage.  However, she absolutely loves roasted brussels sprouts, so we have that a lot.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2023, 12:31:45 PM

I agree.  Unfortunately, my wife dislikes most cabbage.  However, she absolutely loves roasted brussels sprouts, so we have that a lot.

Whenever I grill steaks, I just season the crap out of a bok choy cut in half and throw it on the grill to char. It's heaven with a little bit of red meat.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 12:58:53 PM
Whenever I grill steaks, I just season the crap out of a bok choy cut in half and throw it on the grill to char. It's heaven with a little bit of red meat.

I grew up cooking with bok choy, but it's been years since I've bought one.  Are they terribly gritty inside?  Do you need to wash them before cooking?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Along the same lines, I like sauerkraut especially with pork chops, or hot dogs. My wife does not like it.
Since (1) she does most of the cooking and (2) the smell is also a factor, she wins that argument and I don't fight/fuss about it.

However, when I visit a friend's house and they have sauerkraut, usually with hot dogs or other kinds of sausage sandwiches, I always partake.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2023, 01:02:21 PM

I grew up cooking with bok choy, but it's been years since I've bought one.  Are they terribly gritty inside?  Do you need to wash them before cooking?

Yeah, they're decently gritty down at the bottom. I spray it out as best I can and figure the liquid content from the cabbage itself will rinse off anything I couldn't get. I've never had an issue.

kphoger

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 01:04:21 PM
Along the same lines, I like sauerkraut especially with pork chops, or hot dogs. My wife does not like it.
Since (1) she does most of the cooking and (2) the smell is also a factor, she wins that argument and I don't fight/fuss about it.

However, when I visit a friend's house and they have sauerkraut, usually with hot dogs or other kinds of sausage sandwiches, I always partake.

I've started my own tradition of making a batch of bigos on Super Bowl Sunday.  That calls for half sauerkraut and half regular cabbage.  I thoroughly rinse the sauerkraut, and it spends quite some time in the pot.  By that point, my wife isn't totally put off by the smell, but she still doesn't really like the final product.

Me, I love it.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

When I make sauerkraut, I also add jalapeños and julienned carrots. Yummm.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 02:47:59 PM
When I make sauerkraut, I also add jalapeños and julienned carrots. Yummm.

When I make bigos, I add prunes and apples and onion.  And kielbasa.  And bacon.  And beer.  And tomato paste.  And peppercorns and juniper berries and caraway seeds and bay leaves and marjoram and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.  Yummm.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

After talking to my wife, I now know that her aversion to cooked cabbage goes back to a time that she was sleeping over at a friend's house, the family served sausage and sauerkraut, and she hated the sauerkraut.  It took some time before she would eat sausages after that, and she still hasn't gotten over the cabbage thing.  But it's actually the sour part of sauerkraut that she really doesn't like, so she's hesitantly open to trying other types of cooked cabbage.

With fall coming, I'm starting to want cabbage, so I'll probably start this up soon.  I expect that I'll start with bok choy.  We don't do much grilling—basically just hot dogs or smoked sausages or chicken breasts—but we've become fans of roasting vegetables.  Do I need to worry about the green leaves of bok choy becoming either charred or super-wilted before the rest of the bok choy is done cooking through?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2023, 06:12:00 PM

After talking to my wife, I now know that her aversion to cooked cabbage goes back to a time that she was sleeping over at a friend's house, the family served sausage and sauerkraut, and she hated the sauerkraut.  It took some time before she would eat sausages after that, and she still hasn't gotten over the cabbage thing.  But it's actually the sour part of sauerkraut that she really doesn't like, so she's hesitantly open to trying other types of cooked cabbage.

With fall coming, I'm starting to want cabbage, so I'll probably start this up soon.  I expect that I'll start with bok choy.  We don't do much grilling—basically just hot dogs or smoked sausages or chicken breasts—but we've become fans of roasting vegetables.  Do I need to worry about the green leaves of bok choy becoming either charred or super-wilted before the rest of the bok choy is done cooking through?

The char is the best part. Just grill it until you get decently good grill marks and then chop it up and you're good. The greens and the stems are both great.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 11:39:17 PM
The char is the best part. Just grill it until you get decently good grill marks and then chop it up and you're good. The greens and the stems are both great.

Sorry, let me be more clear.  Assuming I'm roasting it instead of grilling it, do you think the greens will get gross?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2023, 10:52:43 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 11:39:17 PM

Sorry, let me be more clear.  Assuming I'm roasting it instead of grilling it, do you think the greens will get gross?

If they do, it'll just be the top parts probably, so you can cut off anything that's a little "over-caramelized". The thicker part of the greens should still be good.

kphoger

Thanks.  I'll probably try it roasted in the oven with some balsamic vinegar and maybe bacon pieces.
Male pronouns, please.

bm7

Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2023, 11:52:30 AM
Criminally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEv4Hzf8Hhw
I'm a bit confused how a popular song from a very popular artist can be "underrated". Maybe if it was a song few people knew about, but it has millions of views on YT in less than a year.

Rothman

Quote from: bm7 on October 14, 2023, 02:44:27 AM
Criminally.

I'm a bit confused how a popular song from a very popular artist can be "underrated". Maybe if it was a song few people knew about, but it has millions of views on YT in less than a year.

Because it's only "popular" because people listened to it and shrugged.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: bm7 on October 14, 2023, 02:44:27 AM
Criminally.

I'm aware that the artist is very popular, but this particular track seems to be under-recognized relative to its quality (IMO).

Also, in the world of YT views, 7.6 million is nothing when something as lame as Despacito can exceed 8 billion.

Anyways... here's another, perhaps more apt, submission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7PHEPmdT1w

CoreySamson

Big Bend National Park

It always seems to be regarded as a second rate national park, but in reality there is so much insane stuff there. Santa Elena Canyon is kinda mind-blowing how narrow it is (and you can cross the Rio Grande there into Mexico!). The Emory Peak hike has some insane views, especially close to the top. The park is so far away from any major civilization that it feels truly like you're in the wilderness (+you can see the Milky Way on a cloudless night from there). Plus the terrain is really cool.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Rothman

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 31, 2023, 10:57:13 PM
Big Bend National Park

It always seems to be regarded as a second rate national park, but in reality there is so much insane stuff there. Santa Elena Canyon is kinda mind-blowing how narrow it is (and you can cross the Rio Grande there into Mexico!). The Emory Peak hike has some insane views, especially close to the top. The park is so far away from any major civilization that it feels truly like you're in the wilderness (+you can see the Milky Way on a cloudless night from there). Plus the terrain is really cool.

I don't think it's underrated.  Perhaps thirty years ago, that was true.  It has definitely been "discovered" since the most recent turn of the century.

Number of visitors has boomed from 300,000 per year to over 500,000 per year over the past couple of decades.  Sure, not on Yellowstone kind of levels, but it's definitely not off people's radar.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Dunkin' refreshers. The combination of iced green tea + fruit juice is intoxicating.

kirbykart

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2023, 03:14:56 PM
Dunkin' refreshers. The combination of iced green tea + fruit juice is intoxicating.

Blech. The two times I've had green tea it tastes like Pine-Sol. No thanks.

formulanone

Those first few moments when you leave a place with A/C that's too cold and get into a not-terribly-hot car.

Strangely relaxing.

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on November 02, 2023, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2023, 03:14:56 PM

Blech. The two times I've had green tea it tastes like Pine-Sol. No thanks.

Saying this makes me feel old, but "it's an acquired taste".  :)

(Also, like most coffees/teas, green tea is highly variable, but Dunkin' is one of the better ones, even on its own.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on November 02, 2023, 06:11:42 PM
Those first few moments when you leave a place with A/C that's too cold and get into a not-terribly-hot car.

Strangely relaxing.

I'm a fan of getting into your car on a cold but sunny day, and it's already a bit warmer in there.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.