Controversial California bill would physically stop new cars from speeding

Started by ZLoth, January 26, 2024, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: bm7 on January 26, 2024, 01:53:05 PM
I'm sure nobody would find a way to get around it. Like say, putting RF shielding over the GPS module.

Or just drive to Reno or Las Vegas to get your next post-2027 or 2035 car.  I bought my Challenger in November 2015 in Florida right before I moved to California.  Going one state over by comparison is not a big deal.

I feel like needing to go to another state for something (whether it's restricted by the left or right of the spectrum) is getting incredibly damn tedious.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2024, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: bm7 on January 26, 2024, 01:53:05 PM
I'm sure nobody would find a way to get around it. Like say, putting RF shielding over the GPS module.

Or just drive to Reno or Las Vegas to get your next post-2027 or 2035 car.  I bought my Challenger in November 2015 in Florida right before I moved to California.  Going one state over by comparison is not a big deal.

I feel like needing to go to another state for something (whether it's restricted by the left or right of the spectrum) is getting incredibly damn tedious.

Yes, but for my specific niche purposes it works out.  All three neighbor states have plenty of "test roads" to sort out new cars on.  As a side bonus, I don't have to worry about removing P65 stickers from out of state cars.

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2024, 05:54:15 PM
Unless it's your first car and you can't drive to the state line because you don't have one.

How many first time drivers are buying new though?  2035-PHEV doesn't prohibit the purchase of used cars that originated out of state to my knowledge.  Likewise I don't recall seeing anything similar for all this 2027 stuff.

kalvado

Unless it's your first car and you can't drive to the state line because you don't have one.
Too bad there are no commercial flights from California....

vdeane

Going out of state for a car has additional hassles beyond traveling there (which also includes time, both to look at the car and purchase it, and then to pick it up when it's ready).  If you buy in your local area, the dealer handles things like sales tax and DMV transactions for you.  If you go out of state, you're responsible for doing that yourself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2024, 10:10:12 PM
Going out of state for a car has additional hassles beyond traveling there (which also includes time, both to look at the car and purchase it, and then to pick it up when it's ready).  If you buy in your local area, the dealer handles things like sales tax and DMV transactions for you.  If you go out of state, you're responsible for doing that yourself.
I definitely saw an out of state dealer doing the legwork for NY DMV. For a bit extra money, of course

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2024, 10:10:12 PM

Yes, but if the state you live limits your options to nothing but cars you don't want then one must do what it takes. 

Revive 755

So how would this work when it comes to more variable/temporary speed limits such as work zones, school zones (particularly those with the already vague "when children are present"), or places where the speed limit can be altered for traffic congestion (as planned for part of I-465) and weather conditions?

tidecat

Book a cheap flight to Vegas or Reno, take a ride share to the airport, buy your car in Nevada, and drive home.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

tidecat

Quote from: formulanone on January 26, 2024, 11:50:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 26, 2024, 09:42:22 AM
It becomes a problem when the software's database doesn't match what the signs actually say.

I get these on some rental cars; last fall, I was travelling on Missouri Highway 100 west of St. Louis and the "Speed Limit Warning" on the dash displayed "100" in the box. Presumably it the car's millimeter wave radar is just looking for a black-and-white rectangular sign with a prominent number on it that's divisible by five.

I wish I took a photo of it...

This would be a problem in Indiana and Illinois as well.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ZLoth

Quote from: tidecat on January 28, 2024, 07:54:06 AMBook a cheap flight to Vegas or Reno, take a ride share to the airport, buy your car in Nevada, and drive home.

Slight problem if it's a new "49 state" (non-California/CARB) vehicle whose emission system is not designed to be compliant with California emissions standards. If you are a resident of CA, you cannot register a vehicle that has less than 7,500 miles in CA if it does not comply with CA emission standards --regardless of model year. If you are moving to CA from another state, and you are bringing your vehicles which have less than 7,500 miles and are currently registered out of state, there is an exemption and you can register them in CA; even though they do not comply with CA emission standards.  You must show proof the vehicle was registered out of state to qualify. Also, sales tax is based upon where you register the vehicle, not where the vehicle is sold.

BTW: The states adopting CARB standards include Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

(For reference, it was especially important when I moved to Texas to register my vehicle within 30 days of residency, as Texas does a "flat rate" sales tax, causing the initial registration to be just less than $200+vehicle inspection. After 30 days, they takes the value of your vehicle into consideration unless you are jumping through hoops.)
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2024, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on January 26, 2024, 12:37:08 PM
Massachusetts is about 20 times smaller than California. It is also the third most population-dense state in the United States compared with number 11 California.

And? What does that somehow entitle me to be forced to do what California does?

If you don't like it, take it up with your state's government, not California's.

bm7

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 27, 2024, 11:03:06 PM
So how would this work when it comes to more variable/temporary speed limits such as work zones, school zones (particularly those with the already vague "when children are present"), or places where the speed limit can be altered for traffic congestion (as planned for part of I-465) and weather conditions?

I would imagine for simplicity's sake it would just use the normal speed limit of the road.

SectorZ

Quote from: kkt on January 28, 2024, 04:03:01 PM
Massachusetts is about 20 times smaller than California. It is also the third most population-dense state in the United States compared with number 11 California.

If you don't like it, take it up with your state's government, not California's.

My point was what does Mass being 20 times smaller than Cali have anything to do with it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bm7 on January 28, 2024, 04:04:26 PM

I would imagine for simplicity's sake it would just use the normal speed limit of the road.

So where safety is most important, the law will offer the least amount of help.

As far as "When Children Are Present" goes, the states have guidelines as to what that message represents.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2024, 10:29:17 PM

As far as "When Children Are Present" goes, the states have guidelines as to what that message represents.

Almost as though it was written as a virtue signal rather than being an effective and well thought out piece of legislation.

MikieTimT

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2024, 01:29:31 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on January 26, 2024, 01:23:19 PM

This all sounds eerily like we're heading towards what pissed Americans off back in 1775.  And I think that Americans care a little more about cars than they did about tea.

Impossible. There were no Americans in 1775.

Gestationally, there were.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 29, 2024, 09:42:20 AM

This all sounds eerily like we're heading towards what pissed Americans off back in 1775.  And I think that Americans care a little more about cars than they did about tea.

New Spain didn't even have much of a grip on what now California in 1775.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2024, 10:03:45 AM

Who did?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Someone needs to get a grip on California 249 years later.

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2024, 01:03:35 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2024, 10:29:17 PM

Almost as though it was written as a virtue signal rather than being an effective and well thought out piece of legislation.
Or, playing devil's advocate here, they figured they could cover some cases even if they couldn't cover all of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 29, 2024, 12:46:35 PM

Trouble is that there is a sizable crowd out there in this state that advocates for stuff like SB 960 and 961.  That "grip" you speak of seemingly often is in the eye of the beholder.

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2024, 03:41:31 PM

Trouble is that there is a sizable crowd out there in this state that advocates for stuff like SB 960 and 961.  That "grip" you speak of seemingly often is in the eye of the beholder.

Tyranny of the majority.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on January 29, 2024, 06:47:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2024, 03:41:31 PM

Tyranny of the majority.

Is it though?  I cannot think of a regular person I know that would be enthusiastic about Senate Bills like this.  Trouble is that most of the same people probably don't even know what a Senate Bill is or what is actively being pursued as legislation. 

I don't know, I've worked in the safety managment field for over two decades of my life.  I feel as though as there is a poor understanding about what actual safety measures are.  Worse is that anything that tends to have some sort of cursory safety element gets lumped into a category of "you can't question safety" even though when it is totally outlandish or impractical. 

Road Hog

Frankly I'd be impressed if a state leg did the opposite: Prohibit all governors from all vehicles. It was a better world when I could draft like Dale Earnhardt off the back of an 18-wheeler doing 90.

(This move would be on brand for about 13 states off the top of my head.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.