News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There are "Future I-69" signs on the freeway segment between Dyersburg and Union City.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

I just can't see how I-69 is going to get funded in Tennessee when there are so many other needs throughout the state.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: Ryctor2018 on February 12, 2021, 02:03:20 PM
Once I-69 is completed around Union City if a couple of years, how do you guys think it will be signed? The interchange at the KY-TN state line is not Interstate standard yet, and the state of TN may need to perform modest upgrades between US-45E and where US-51 will tie into future I-69 north of Union City. The section south of Union City will have work needed so that is not Interstate standard.
Do you guys think they will sign it as I-69 around Union City with the promise to the Feds that the US-51/US-45E interchange will be cleaned up? That way the connection can continue from KY I-69. Or will TN give I-69 around Union City a temp number? I also wonder if the interchanges will be numbered, and if so the numbering be based off of I-155's numbering or the projected I-69 scheme from Memphis.

Seeing as how KY has yet to sign I-69 over the southwest end of Purchase until just below Mayfield due to a substandard bowtie interchange at Wingo (apparently the rebuild is in process) in addition to the very substandard present connection between the Fulton bypass extension of that facililty and US 51 over the line in TN, it's unlikely that any signage south of the state line will be done (or it'll likely reference US 51 only, with I-69 signs covered up) until those issues are dealt with.  But once I-69 signage is in place from Union City to Dyersburg, it'll likely simply reference the I-155 transition with signage such as "I-69 ENDS/BEGIN I-155" and vice-versa somewhere north of Dyersburg, likely (initially) at the interchange with US 51 south.  Despite the suggestions to that effect in this forum, it's likely TDOT isn't even considering a formal reroute over I-155 (something that would have to be discussed/coordinated with the DOT's in MO and AR in any case).  It seems the de facto agency position is to simply not even acknowledge the gap from Dyersburg to Memphis in the field until actual plans are in place to remedy the situation.  I haven't been on US 51 in that area for years; if there are "Future I-69 Corridor" signs along the existing route, that will likely be the sole reference to the pending project for the time being.  As has been repeatedly iterated in this and related threads, TDOT doesn't seem to be in any hurry to address the I-69 gap -- something that's unlikely to change in the near term.

The signage plans for the Union City bypass show it being signed as I-69 and only I-69.   There is no other number referenced.

sparker

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 12, 2021, 11:26:33 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: Ryctor2018 on February 12, 2021, 02:03:20 PM
Once I-69 is completed around Union City if a couple of years, how do you guys think it will be signed? The interchange at the KY-TN state line is not Interstate standard yet, and the state of TN may need to perform modest upgrades between US-45E and where US-51 will tie into future I-69 north of Union City. The section south of Union City will have work needed so that is not Interstate standard.
Do you guys think they will sign it as I-69 around Union City with the promise to the Feds that the US-51/US-45E interchange will be cleaned up? That way the connection can continue from KY I-69. Or will TN give I-69 around Union City a temp number? I also wonder if the interchanges will be numbered, and if so the numbering be based off of I-155's numbering or the projected I-69 scheme from Memphis.

Seeing as how KY has yet to sign I-69 over the southwest end of Purchase until just below Mayfield due to a substandard bowtie interchange at Wingo (apparently the rebuild is in process) in addition to the very substandard present connection between the Fulton bypass extension of that facililty and US 51 over the line in TN, it's unlikely that any signage south of the state line will be done (or it'll likely reference US 51 only, with I-69 signs covered up) until those issues are dealt with.  But once I-69 signage is in place from Union City to Dyersburg, it'll likely simply reference the I-155 transition with signage such as "I-69 ENDS/BEGIN I-155" and vice-versa somewhere north of Dyersburg, likely (initially) at the interchange with US 51 south.  Despite the suggestions to that effect in this forum, it's likely TDOT isn't even considering a formal reroute over I-155 (something that would have to be discussed/coordinated with the DOT's in MO and AR in any case).  It seems the de facto agency position is to simply not even acknowledge the gap from Dyersburg to Memphis in the field until actual plans are in place to remedy the situation.  I haven't been on US 51 in that area for years; if there are "Future I-69 Corridor" signs along the existing route, that will likely be the sole reference to the pending project for the time being.  As has been repeatedly iterated in this and related threads, TDOT doesn't seem to be in any hurry to address the I-69 gap -- something that's unlikely to change in the near term.

The signage plans for the Union City bypass show it being signed as I-69 and only I-69.   There is no other number referenced.

Interesting -- TN plans to sign I-69 prior to a northern connection being completed, but they're hesitant about signing it over I-55 and I-240 in Memphis.  But the info here suggests that US 51 will be retained on its present alignment on the existing Union City bypass rather than rerouted onto the I-69 freeway.  That's more or less in keeping with TN's longstanding history of new alignments for its Interstate routes with the original highway retained largely intact; the existing Dyersburg-Union City route notwithstanding (unless TDOT elects, once I-69 overtakes that freeway, to relocate US 51 to its original alignment through Newbern and Obion).

Quote from: hbelkins on February 12, 2021, 08:16:28 PM
There are "Future I-69" signs on the freeway segment between Dyersburg and Union City.

Actually, I was wondering if such signs are also located along US 51 between Memphis and Dyersburg -- the locale of the "gap" that will likely continue for some time to come. 

rte66man

Quote from: sparker on February 13, 2021, 04:19:35 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Interesting -- TN plans to sign I-69 prior to a northern connection being completed, but they're hesitant about signing it over I-55 and I-240 in Memphis.  But the info here suggests that US 51 will be retained on its present alignment on the existing Union City bypass rather than rerouted onto the I-69 freeway.  That's more or less in keeping with TN's longstanding history of new alignments for its Interstate routes with the original highway retained largely intact; the existing Dyersburg-Union City route notwithstanding (unless TDOT elects, once I-69 overtakes that freeway, to relocate US 51 to its original alignment through Newbern and Obion).

Can't happen. The 1929 bridge across the Obion River between Trimble and Obion is closed permanently. The old highway between the 2 is barely maintained.

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: rte66man on February 13, 2021, 08:41:19 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 13, 2021, 04:19:35 AM
^^^^^^^^^

Can't happen. The 1929 bridge across the Obion River between Trimble and Obion is closed permanently. The old highway between the 2 is barely maintained.

Then that would obviously be an exception to the "normal" within TN.  Have revised Interstate signage plans for the extant freeway segment northeast of Dyersburg been released as of yet? -- those would likely indicate a co-signage of US 51 alongside I-69 for at least the interrupted segment shown above.  On a historical note -- the style of concrete railings shown in the pictures looks very much like those on CA bridges of similar vintage, particularly those along US 101 in the far northwest part of the state (many of which were destroyed or damaged in the '64-'65 floods).   

edwaleni

In some states, when an I-route replaces a 4 lane US route, the DOT will let the old US route degrade and then when it comes up for an update, they will reorganize it and pave it as just a 2 lane highway.  They either rip up the old ROW and bridges or let them fall apart naturally alongside the one in use.

abqtraveler

Quote from: edwaleni on February 15, 2021, 03:36:47 PM
In some states, when an I-route replaces a 4 lane US route, the DOT will let the old US route degrade and then when it comes up for an update, they will reorganize it and pave it as just a 2 lane highway.  They either rip up the old ROW and bridges or let them fall apart naturally alongside the one in use.

Other places they'll turn the former US route over to the local jurisdiction, and they continue maintaining as a local (county or city) road. A good example of this is former US-66 through Albuquerque. The US-66 designation was removed from Central Avenue in the 1980s after I-40 was completed, and ownership of Central Avenue was transferred to the City of Albuquerque (within the city limits) and Bernalillo County (outside the city limits).
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Ryctor2018

Since construction is ongoing, does anyone have access to the signage plans for I-69 around Union City? I looked on TDOT's website, but the info there hasn't been updated in years. I am especially interested in the signage plans, and the northern 69/51 interchange plans. The section around Troy is down the road so I'm not as worried about that section.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on February 16, 2021, 02:01:15 PM
Since construction is ongoing, does anyone have access to the signage plans for I-69 around Union City? I looked on TDOT's website, but the info there hasn't been updated in years. I am especially interested in the signage plans, and the northern 69/51 interchange plans. The section around Troy is down the road so I'm not as worried about that section.

The plans for the project, including signage should be here:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/tdot-construction-division/bid-lettings/e-plans-room.html

Look under March 29, 2019 Letting

County is Obion

Project/Contract is CNT016

THE GRADING, DRAINAGE, CONSTRUCTION OF BRIDGES AND PAVING ON FUTURE I-69 FROM WEST OF S.R. 21 TO U.S. 51 (S.R. 3)

I downloaded them some time ago but have not found the exact link on that site I used to get them

It's a 950 page pdf document with the complete plans including signage (pgs 302 to 360)

At the TN 21 interchange, On Tn 21 it will be marked as I-69 South - Dyersburg and I-69 North - Fulton.  On I-69 it will be marked as TN 21 - Union City

At the US 51 interchange it will be marked as US 51 South Union City

Avalanchez71

This monstrosity of a boondoggle pork barrel interstate should have been signed from I-55 to I-155 in lieu of building up an already sufficient US 51.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 26, 2021, 09:30:13 AM
This monstrosity of a boondoggle pork barrel interstate should have been signed from I-55 to I-155 in lieu of building up an already sufficient US 51.

Many forum contributors agree with you, but Union City is north of I-155; the Union City bypass would be needed even if your suggestion were adopted.

Ryctor2018

For the TN portion of I-69, the Union City bypass, a Troy bypass and fixing the KY/TN state line interchange is all that's needed. Once those three are done, I-69 would only need minor work to sign the route. I imagine the state may sign the freeway by 2025 or so.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

sparker

Question to those who may have knowledge of this:  has the connection at Fulton, KY (which, of course, would be a project initiated by KDOT) been finalized or even let at this point?  From what I've gleaned, the modification of the Wingo "bowtie" should be completed by the end of this year (COVID delays notwithstanding), so the connection to the TN section of I-69 should be the final project involving KY (except, of course, the Ohio River bridge/Henderson bypass).

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on February 27, 2021, 06:47:36 PM
Question to those who may have knowledge of this:  has the connection at Fulton, KY (which, of course, would be a project initiated by KDOT) been finalized or even let at this point?  From what I've gleaned, the modification of the Wingo "bowtie" should be completed by the end of this year (COVID delays notwithstanding), so the connection to the TN section of I-69 should be the final project involving KY (except, of course, the Ohio River bridge/Henderson bypass).

Actually, I think the work at Fulton is a Tennessee project, since the US 51/45/45E/45W interchange that needs work is entirely south of the state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

How much traffic uses existing US 51 between Memphis and Dyersburg? Could another reason for putting off constructing 69 between those two cities be not just lack of funding and environmental opposition, but that existing US 51 is sufficient to handle existing and future traffic demands?

Brooks

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 27, 2021, 08:42:30 PM
How much traffic uses existing US 51 between Memphis and Dyersburg? Could another reason for putting off constructing 69 between those two cities be not just lack of funding and environmental opposition, but that existing US 51 is sufficient to handle existing and future traffic demands?
It's mostly fine for the existing traffic, but when 69 is complete from Indianapolis to Dyersburg that will probably be a different story.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Brooks on February 27, 2021, 11:59:04 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 27, 2021, 08:42:30 PM
It’s mostly fine for the existing traffic, but when 69 is complete from Indianapolis to Dyersburg that will probably be a different story.
Indianapolis-Texas traffic will probably stick to I-57. Just checked that the distance between Little Rock and Indianapolis using I-40/I-55/I-57/I-70 vs I-40/US 51/I-69, and the former is shorter by a bit (584 mi vs 595 mi), and will be even more viable after I-57 gets extended to Little Rock. For Memphis and cities on I-55 south of there, it can go either way.

zzcarp

Quote from: hbelkins on February 27, 2021, 08:16:31 PM

Actually, I think the work at Fulton is a Tennessee project, since the US 51/45/45E/45W interchange that needs work is entirely south of the state line.

There was this general map from the forum several years ago. I believe they chose Alternative 2 but I don't know what the status of the EIS or design is now.

Quote from: Grzrd on May 08, 2017, 03:07:28 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
I emailed TDOT a couple of weeks ago after the IMPROVE Act passed. I asked them about when they were going to list the projects they will be doing for their 3 year plan and also about the I-69 SIU 7. Here's the reply I got.
.... 6)     From Rogers Rd in Kentucky to SR 3 (US 45 W & US 51) in Obion County (5.0 miles)–this section is currently in the Environmental Phase with Preliminary Engineering  phase to follow.

I can't tell if they chose Alternative 1 or Alternative 2 from the December, 2015 meeting:

I guess they are still trying to figure it out in the environmental phase.
So many miles and so many roads

abqtraveler

Quote from: zzcarp on February 28, 2021, 12:12:12 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 27, 2021, 08:16:31 PM

There was this general map from the forum several years ago. I believe they chose Alternative 2 but I don't know what the status of the EIS or design is now.

Quote from: Grzrd on May 08, 2017, 03:07:28 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
I emailed TDOT a couple of weeks ago after the IMPROVE Act passed. I asked them about when they were going to list the projects they will be doing for their 3 year plan and also about the I-69 SIU 7. Here's the reply I got.
.... 6)     From Rogers Rd in Kentucky to SR 3 (US 45 W & US 51) in Obion County (5.0 miles)–this section is currently in the Environmental Phase with Preliminary Engineering  phase to follow.

I can't tell if they chose Alternative 1 or Alternative 2 from the December, 2015 meeting:

I guess they are still trying to figure it out in the environmental phase.

Yes, TDOT is the lead agency on the Fulton/South Fulton project. KYTC is a supporting agency for portions of the project that are on the Kentucky side of the state line.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Avalanchez71

I have been TN SSR 214 and the traffic isn't that bad on there.  Way too much over build.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 01, 2021, 01:25:40 PM
I have been TN SSR 214 and the traffic isn't that bad on there.  Way too much over build.

Why don't they just reconfigure the interchange at the state line so that I-69 traffic goes straight through, and other traffic exits the mainline, instead of complete rerouting the highway around Fulton/South Fulton?

ITB

Quote from: I-39 on February 12, 2021, 10:15:32 PM
I just can't see how I-69 is going to get funded in Tennessee when there are so many other needs throughout the state.

A lot of federal money soon will be flowing to prop up the economy. And a good chunk will be for infrastructure projects. Likely TDOT will hover up a good amount. Also, word from Washington, D.C. is that earmarks will be returning. If so, a lot of road and bridge projects around the country may get funding that way, allowing them to move forward. Wouldn't surprise me at all if TDOT tried to get some funding for its I-69 segments through earmarks. Any Tennessee legislators on the House appropriations committee?

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on March 02, 2021, 04:58:24 AM
Quote from: I-39 on February 12, 2021, 10:15:32 PM

A lot of federal money soon will be flowing to prop up the economy. And a good chunk will be for infrastructure projects. Likely TDOT will hover up a good amount. Also, word from Washington, D.C. is that earmarks will be returning. If so, a lot of road and bridge projects around the country may get funding that way, allowing them to move forward. Wouldn't surprise me at all if TDOT tried to get some funding for its I-69 segments through earmarks. Any Tennessee legislators on the House appropriations committee?

https://appropriations.house.gov/about/membership

Charles Joseph Fleischmann is an American politician who has been the U.S. Representative for Tennessee's 3rd congressional district since 2011. The district is based in Chattanooga and includes a large swath of East Tennessee, including Oak Ridge. He is Republican.

edwaleni

TennDOT project list for highways in Region 4:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-4.html

You won't find a priority list for specific items, at least not on this website that I can find.

Since priorities are very political, they tend to not publish them. If anyone can find a specific list of needs by priority, please post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.