Australian outback road segment to go without speed limit

Started by agentsteel53, October 21, 2013, 01:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

http://jalopnik.com/this-highway-is-so-safe-it-doesnt-need-a-speed-limit-1449082496

so that's three jurisdictions now which have no-speed-limit stretches?  Germany, Isle of Man, Australia. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2013, 01:35:23 PM
http://jalopnik.com/this-highway-is-so-safe-it-doesnt-need-a-speed-limit-1449082496

so that's three jurisdictions now which have no-speed-limit stretches?  Germany, Isle of Man, Australia. 
I have to think there are some backwards countries that simply never deal with speed limits. I've seen some pretty gnarly trails in Zaire Belgian Congo that big country where you can be sure there's no limit - go as fast (2 mph) as the road will bear.

Anyway, Australia was on the list until but a few years ago, so replace "now" with "again."

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on October 21, 2013, 08:10:36 PM
I have to think there are some backwards countries that simply never deal with speed limits. I've seen some pretty gnarly trails in Zaire Belgian Congo that big country where you can be sure there's no limit - go as fast (2 mph) as the road will bear.

I think that may be just another data point on the "laxity of enforcement" continuum.  speed limit is 110 km/h on the Alcan but I can tell you there are miles-long stretches where you can get away with mumble.  NWT is the same.  Descriptor Here of the Congo probably has a law, on the books, saying that the national speed limit is 80 or 100 or 130 or who knows what; they just don't bother to enforce it.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2013, 08:40:23 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 21, 2013, 08:10:36 PM

I think that may be just another data point on the "laxity of enforcement" continuum.  speed limit is 110 km/h on the Alcan but I can tell you there are miles-long stretches where you can get away with mumble.  NWT is the same.  Descriptor Here of the Congo probably has a law, on the books, saying that the national speed limit is 80 or 100 or 130 or who knows what; they just don't bother to enforce it.

I just picked that country. I can't believe every single nation, whether as a whole or on a territory/state level, has speed limits codified and posted.

NE2

Those without codified speed limits are probably under privatized libertarian rule:
http://www.somalinet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=260447
QuoteAl-shabab militias in Kismayo have arrested six Public Service Vehicle drivers who were accused of over speeding in the town. Al-shabab previously introduced new traffic law in the port city of Southern Somalia which is fully under their control.

Some of the arrested drivers are also accused of carrying excess language and passengers in their vehicles which is also contrary to the Shabab made traffic laws.

holy fucking shitcrappoo excess language
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on October 21, 2013, 09:36:41 PM
I just picked that country. I can't believe every single nation, whether as a whole or on a territory/state level, has speed limits codified and posted.

is "posted" a necessity, or is there an implicit "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" going on here?  hell, there are a few places in Massachusetts where one is expected to know that the speed limit is 40.  "END SPEED ZONE" exists*, which then defaults to (as far as I know) a completely unsigned blanket state speed limit of 40, circa 1935 or so state law.

*very rare, but exists.  I found one once on some little town-to-town road near Brimfield.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Prior to Sweden changing to right-hand running on its highway system in 1967, many rural roads had no speed limit at all. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 22, 2013, 12:43:21 PM
Prior to Sweden changing to right-hand running on its highway system in 1967, many rural roads had no speed limit at all.

that is similar to certain states in the US, before 1974.  Montana and Nevada come to mind, but I believe there were a handful of others.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 22, 2013, 12:30:45 AM

is "posted" a necessity, or is there an implicit "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" going on here?  hell, there are a few places in Massachusetts where one is expected to know that the speed limit is 40.  "END SPEED ZONE" exists*, which then defaults to (as far as I know) a completely unsigned blanket state speed limit of 40, circa 1935 or so state law.

*very rare, but exists.  I found one once on some little town-to-town road near Brimfield.
I probably should have said "or," not "and."

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 22, 2013, 12:30:45 AM

Not all that rare if you spend a lot of time on town roads and rural state highways. I actually think for those circumstances a "State Speed Limit" sign like found in NY would be appropriate.

Going along with the discussion, based on how sporadic speed limits can be signed in parts of the US, I'm sure there are many countries out there that, even if there is a law on the books (which I'm sure several don't even have), there are no signs and no enforcement.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.