What is the least traveled 2-di Interstate?

Started by Flint1979, January 13, 2019, 01:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I don't think I have seen this question asked before and can't find anything about it anywhere and I was just thinking Indianapolis will have 8 Interstate's approaching it once I-69 is complete and for some reason I don't know why but it got me thinking I wonder what the least traveled 2-di Interstate highway is because I was thinking they are all major highways for the most part and connect various places so there is going to be one that has the least amount of traffic on it. Some are regional highways though and don't have a long distance compared to the likes of I-90 and I-95 vs. I-89 and I-97 so it might be one of those. Perhaps break it down between regional and long distance Interstate's.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

No idea on traffic counts, and I could be way off, but I would assume, regarding IL, and even larger picture, that the I-72 route from Hannibal, MO to Champaign-Urbana, IL via Springfield and Decatur, cannot be that highly traveled (minus the multiplex around Springfield with I-55)

Max Rockatansky

Most of I-8 east of San Diego would be a strong contender I would imagine. 

TheHighwayMan3561

One pretender that we should immediately put the kibosh on is 70 through Utah, despite its infamously lonely natire. Major route from the Midwest to the Southwest.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

Travel Mapping has 232 users. The 5 least traveled are:

2: 17 users
14: 18 users
86W: 39 users
19: 43 users
27: 46 users

It's much harder to find the exact number for Interstates that are in more than 1 state. Fortunately, the top 5 were all intrastate Interstates, even with the uncertainty. 22 and 82 would likely top the "non-intrastate Interstate" list, based on the numbers I saw.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2019, 01:50:31 PM

It's much harder to find the exact number for Interstates that are in more than 1 state. Fortunately, the top 5 were all intrastate Interstates, even with the uncertainty. 22 and 82 would likely top the "non-intrastate Interstate" list, based on the numbers I saw.

I-27 has some pretty decently sized population centers on it.  Probably a lot of users haven't used it due to the fact that it really doesn't go anywhere of note.  Ditto for I-19 with the Mexican Border, that said it is far busier than a lot of mostly rural 2d Interstates that I've regularly traveled on.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2019, 02:05:45 PM

I-27 has some pretty decently sized population centers on it.  Probably a lot of users haven't used it due to the fact that it really doesn't go anywhere of note.  Ditto for I-19 with the Mexican Border, that said it is far busier than a lot of mostly rural 2d Interstates that I've regularly traveled on.

Travel Mapping only provides a tiny "n" in statistical terms; drawing general conclusions from that "sample" is inappropriate.  But addressing those Interstates cited there, I'd guess that both the existing sections of I-2 and I-14, being within population centers in the case of the former and a major regional adjacent "destination" (Ft. Hood) for the latter would mean that what traffic flow there is is dominated by local users.  And I'd venture that any traffic flow along the others features an outsize percentage of commercial traffic, particularly I-19, since except for Nogales (on the Mexican side) most destinations are well into Mexico.  And I-27 would have considerable local commercial traffic between the two regional "service centers" of Lubbock and Amarillo.  Now, the west I-86 is devoid of major traffic; it may qualify as the "loneliest" Interstate as far as fully completed routes are concerned  -- at least anecdotally from my own experience with it.

adventurernumber1

While I am ignorant of traffic counts on this, and I have never been on it myself, I wonder if the eastern I-88 (NY) would be a contender.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

Another thing to note about I-14 is that it's a redesignation of an existing highway and there's a reasonable chance some people travelled what is now I-14 prior to that designation. I fall into that category: I lived in Copperas Cove and travelled the road then, but I have not been there in over 40 years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on January 13, 2019, 03:09:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2019, 02:05:45 PM

Travel Mapping only provides a tiny "n" in statistical terms; drawing general conclusions from that "sample" is inappropriate.  But addressing those Interstates cited there, I'd guess that both the existing sections of I-2 and I-14, being within population centers in the case of the former and a major regional adjacent "destination" (Ft. Hood) for the latter would mean that what traffic flow there is is dominated by local users.  And I'd venture that any traffic flow along the others features an outsize percentage of commercial traffic, particularly I-19, since except for Nogales (on the Mexican side) most destinations are well into Mexico.  And I-27 would have considerable local commercial traffic between the two regional "service centers" of Lubbock and Amarillo.  Now, the west I-86 is devoid of major traffic; it may qualify as the "loneliest" Interstate as far as fully completed routes are concerned  -- at least anecdotally from my own experience with it.

Forgot about 86W, that's one lonely drive for an Interstate.  I'd say that probably is the least traveled 2d I've been on as a "overall"  route. 

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2019, 03:32:15 PM
Another thing to note about I-14 is that it's a redesignation of an existing highway and there's a reasonable chance some people travelled what is now I-14 prior to that designation. I fall into that category: I lived in Copperas Cove and travelled the road then, but I have not been there in over 40 years.

But your list file includes part of the US 190 segment between Copperas Cove and I-35 concurrent with I-14 (not the Killeen bypass, which I guess was built after you were last there). So TM auto-credits you with part of I-14.

My own list file doesn't include an entry for I-14, but it does for the concurrent segment of US 190, so I'm counted too.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on January 13, 2019, 03:48:03 PM

But your list file includes part of the US 190 segment between Copperas Cove and I-35 concurrent with I-14 (not the Killeen bypass, which I guess was built after you were last there). So TM auto-credits you with part of I-14.

My own list file doesn't include an entry for I-14, but it does for the concurrent segment of US 190, so I'm counted too.

Right, I understand that and I know that's why it credited me. I guess what I was trying to say, and didn't say very well, is that the Travel Mapping stats may be misleading in terms of who's actually been on I-14 because of this issue–people who had been there in the past prior to the Interstate.

The bypass indeed did not exist in my time. Heck, there were still unpaved streets in Copperas Cove back then. My parents' families from Brooklyn thought we lived at the end of the world or something.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 13, 2019, 01:53:59 AM
I don't think I have seen this question asked before and can't find anything about it anywhere and I was just thinking Indianapolis will have 8 Interstate's approaching it once I-69 is complete and for some reason I don't know why but it got me thinking I wonder what the least traveled 2-di Interstate highway is because I was thinking they are all major highways for the most part and connect various places so there is going to be one that has the least amount of traffic on it.

Now that's a lengthy sentence if I've ever seen one!

There are really three ways to answer this:

(1) Lowest Total Vehicle Miles Traveled over the entire route - obviously the shortest (and newest) interstates are the best candidates, like I-14.

(2) Lowest AADT on a Single Segment - I-95 near the Canadian border or I-90 in Montana might qualify even though those routes as a whole are heavily traveled.

(3) Least-Traveled by Roadgeeks - the remote, obscure or otherwise inconvenient for a majority of us to clinch - see list posted by 1 above.

Obviously looking at it by those three different measures all lead to very different answers. I'm not sure which one of those you had in mind, or maybe all three.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2019, 03:56:56 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 13, 2019, 03:48:03 PM
Another thing to note about I-14 is that it’s a redesignation of an existing highway and there’s a reasonable chance some people travelled what is now I-14 prior to that designation. I fall into that category: I lived in Copperas Cove and travelled the road then, but I have not been there in over 40 years.

Right, I understand that and I know that’s why it credited me. I guess what I was trying to say, and didn’t say very well, is that the Travel Mapping stats may be misleading in terms of who’s actually been on I-14 because of this issue—people who had been there in the past prior to the Interstate.

I've never seen an I-14 marker either, but I did drive the concurrent segment of US 190 while all of it was a freeway. So I'm counting the Interstate as "clinched in advance".

===

As for "least traveled" 2di, one candidate would be I-15 between Idaho Falls and Butte. I think at some point froggie posted a map showing traffic volume on that and other Interstate segments, but haven't found it yet.

If you include Alaska's paper 2dis, part of Interstate A-1 between Tetlin Junction (AK 5) and the Canadian border reported an AADT of only 611 in 2015. That is, like most of Alaska's Interstates, only two-lane. One time I drove it (but not the most recent), part of the highway was posted for only 25mph due to severe road damage.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 13, 2019, 03:29:46 PM
While I am ignorant of traffic counts on this, and I have never been on it myself, I wonder if the eastern I-88 (NY) would be a contender.

I-88 is certainly lightly traveled when compared to major travel and freight corridors such as the Thruway and I-81. However, AADT volumes are at least 7K for the entire length, and most segments are over 10K.

It is also, combined with I-86, part of a very scenic (and toll-free!) alternate route to the Thruway between Erie, PA, and Albany. So I imagine there is at least some long-distance traffic and shunpiking trucks using it, as well as regional traffic between the Southern Tier and the Capital Region.

I guess my verdict is that it qualifies by East Coast standards, but not so much when compared to the true Wild West!  :-D

hbelkins

I-64 between the West Virginia state line and I-81 in Virginia would have to be on anyone's short list.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

For MA, I-91 north of Northampton is probably the least traveled.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ben114

I'd probably have to say the new part of I-11 would be on the list, but with it being Vegas, I doubt it would be top 3.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ben114 on January 13, 2019, 04:53:07 PM
I'd probably have to say the new part of I-11 would be on the list, but with it being Vegas, I doubt it would be top 3.
Probably not even close.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Quote from: Ben114 on January 13, 2019, 04:53:07 PM

The part between SR 592 and US 95? No way. That scored an AADT of 52,000 in 2017 per the NDOT report. Once past Boulder City, the US 93 AADT appears to drop off to 18,800 -- which is still higher than a lot of existing rural interstates.

Put it this way. There's a reason US 93 was four lanes through Nevada before I-11 was ever planned.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2019, 04:48:56 PM

I nominate I-395 north of Norwich (specifically CT 2) for CT.  For RI, I'd say I-295 between US 6 and RI 146.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 13, 2019, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2019, 04:48:56 PM
I nominate I-395 north of Norwich (specifically CT 2) for CT.  For RI, I'd say I-295 between US 6 and RI 146.

Did you miss the part about 2di?  ;-)

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 13, 2019, 04:44:13 PM
I-64 between the West Virginia state line and I-81 in Virginia would have to be on anyone's short list.

About 20,000 AADT in the Covington - Clifton Forge area.  The segment over North Mountain (west of Lexington) drops to about 9,600.

Didn't someone post in the past that I-95 in northern Maine is in the 3,000 to 4,000 range?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hotdogPi

Quote from: Beltway on January 13, 2019, 06:55:12 PM

Didn't someone post in the past that I-95 in northern Maine is in the 3,000 to 4,000 range?

Other parts of I-95 make it not anywhere close to being a contender. I-95 might even qualify for most traveled.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.