News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

LM117

Quote from: jakeroot on July 16, 2019, 01:03:17 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 15, 2019, 02:59:54 PM
over 3 years and 20 requests

There's no way it's that big of a deal.

Gotta admire the tenacity, though.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mrsman

One thing I hate about G maps is that it is difficult to tell between multi-lane primary routes, freeways, and tollways since all are shown as being on yellow.  It would be nice to have an online map that distinguished freeways and tollways with different colors.  Bing used to do this well.  While Bing seem to denote freeways and expressways with a clearly darker shade of yellow, they no longer properly distinguish toll roads (they used to be in turquoise).

Does anyone know of an online map that denotes toll roads in a clear manner?  Especially helpful if they denote toll direction (only showing tolls on bridges in the direction that you have to pay).

vdeane

Google used to do it, two versions ago.  Oddly enough, they removed it because it looked too similar to the symbol for expressways, only to get rid of differentiating expressways in the latest version without bringing back the differentiation of freeway toll roads.  Toll roads are still shown for other types of roads, but not freeways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on July 17, 2019, 02:21:27 PM
It would be nice to have an online map that distinguished freeways and tollways with different colors.

Most tollways in my neck of the woods are freeways.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on July 17, 2019, 08:11:20 PM
Google used to do it, two versions ago.  Oddly enough, they removed it because it looked too similar to the symbol for expressways, only to get rid of differentiating expressways in the latest version without bringing back the differentiation of freeway toll roads.  Toll roads are still shown for other types of roads, but not freeways.

I've seen that also, but IMO simply bolding the edges is too subtle of a difference.

Some of the old paper maps that I have would make the distinction really clear.  Only freeways would have red.  Only toll roads would have green.  Other roads would be yellow or black.

It's too bad that we can't get that in online maps.

ipeters61

Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2019, 01:14:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 17, 2019, 08:11:20 PM

I've seen that also, but IMO simply bolding the edges is too subtle of a difference.

Some of the old paper maps that I have would make the distinction really clear.  Only freeways would have red.  Only toll roads would have green.  Other roads would be yellow or black.

It's too bad that we can't get that in online maps.
Reminds me of when I had a manual once, where colors would have been helpful.  The manual was only available as a PDF....so why was it only in black and white!?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Once again, Google Maps rejected my request to get CT 31 along and north of US 44 changed from the square County Route shield to a round state route shield.  Is there anyone here that has the power to change it?  I have emailed them about it and even included pictures from GSV showing them it's the same damn route shield on both sides of US 44, and they still keep rejecting it.  It's been over 3 years and 20 requests, even with visual evidence, and they keep rejecting my edit suggestion, even though they've accepted several of my minor requests, including corrections to street names in my town.  They just don't grasp the concept that there are no county highways in CT and that it's the same damn route.   :angry:

Meanwhile, they still haven't updated PA 295 to PA 297. Granted, Street View hasn't been updated anywhere near it. Even the BGSes on I-83 still say 295 for some reason.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Once again, Google Maps rejected my request to get CT 31 along and north of US 44 changed from the square County Route shield to a round state route shield.  Is there anyone here that has the power to change it?  I have emailed them about it and even included pictures from GSV showing them it's the same damn route shield on both sides of US 44, and they still keep rejecting it.  It's been over 3 years and 20 requests, even with visual evidence, and they keep rejecting my edit suggestion, even though they've accepted several of my minor requests, including corrections to street names in my town.  They just don't grasp the concept that there are no county highways in CT and that it's the same damn route.   :angry:
Reason #1012614 that I have no respect for Google.  Stupid monopolistic hacks who can't figure out how to do anything right.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 19, 2019, 09:15:43 PM

Meanwhile, they still haven't updated PA 295 to PA 297. Granted, Street View hasn't been updated anywhere near it. Even the BGSes on I-83 still say 295 for some reason.

To add to this pile, US-117 in NC between Goldsboro and Wilson is labeled as both US-117 AND US-117 Alternate. The short-lived US-117 Alternate was decommissioned in 2009 when US-117 was taken off what's now I-795 and put back on it's old alignment. Google Streetview has driven up and down that road several times since then. :pan:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
Google Streetview has driven up and down that road several times since then. :pan:

Probably not a good assumption that Google uses SV imagery to check the accuracy of their map data.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 21, 2019, 12:42:01 AM
Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
Google Streetview has driven up and down that road several times since then. :pan:

Probably not a good assumption that Google uses SV imagery to check the accuracy of their map data.
It only makes sense that they should, though, which is what makes this ridiculous.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Verlanka

I was using Google Maps the other day and noticed that it no longer told you that you were changing time zones driving directions, which is ridiculous. :pan:

Edit: It appears they brought it back for now.

Rothman

I am still ticked you can't print out directions with turn by turn maps and yet the option still reads "print with maps."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

I noticed this morning that the Streetview feature on the Google Maps app on my iPhone 6s is gone. No matter where I try to look, no Streetview. Anybody else having this problem?

FightingIrish

Quote from: LM117 on August 21, 2019, 09:23:46 AM
I noticed this morning that the Streetview feature on the Google Maps app on my iPhone 6s is gone. No matter where I try to look, no Streetview. Anybody else having this problem?
Google really screwed up the iOS version of the Maps app. No Street View, and an obnoxious Explore sidebar that takes up a third of the screen. However, now the sidebar is gone. Still no SV - for now you have to use the SV app for that.

Google needs to fix this mess ASAP.

US 89

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 21, 2019, 09:48:02 AM
Google really screwed up the iOS version of the Maps app. No Street View, and an obnoxious Explore sidebar that takes up a third of the screen. However, now the sidebar is gone. Still no SV - for now you have to use the SV app for that.

Google needs to fix this mess ASAP.

Have been having the same issue with street view on the Google Maps app. The GSV feature was always a little buggy in that you needed to drop the pin exactly on the road, and there wasn't a way to definitively tell whether the road didn't have SV or if the pin needed to be more accurate. Took me a few days to realize it had been totally turned off.

Also TIL there's a separate Street View app. The things you learn...

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Same issue here... very frustrating having to swap between apps and get to one particular location. The Street View app sucks to add to this mess more.

jakeroot

Looks to be an iOS issue. No problems on Android 9:

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2019, 02:44:56 AM
Actually, it appears whatever issue it was is now fixed. My iPhone is now letting me view Street View once again like normal.

Appears this was just a bug, thankfully it's not permanent, and was fixed quickly.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 22, 2019, 08:41:54 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2019, 02:44:56 AM
Actually, it appears whatever issue it was is now fixed. My iPhone is now letting me view Street View once again like normal.

Appears this was just a bug, thankfully it's not permanent, and was fixed quickly.

I just checked it on mine after seeing this post and it's back to normal for me too.

*knock on wood*

Michael

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2019, 07:39:50 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bedminster,+NJ/@40.6436115,-74.6605591,3a,75y,96.63h,90.5t,0.23r/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c396b7daf761a7:0x47d1f51b0a27c8e0!8m2!3d40.669264!4d-74.6804  Going from Street View to map does this.  This is supposed to be Bedminster, NJ.

That issue happens to me every so often too.  I can get around it by changing the end of the URL to ,XXz to go back to map view, then switch back to satellite view.

Lately, Google Maps uses a lot of CPU on my computer.  I'm on an older browser and computer, which means I don't have full GPU acceleration so the CPU gets used more, but until recently, the CPU usage wasn't as bad.  I noticed that Session Buddy and Adblock Plus were using a lot of CPU in addition to the Browser and map tab processes.  Killing the extensions makes a minor improvement, but the CPU is still higher than normal.

I tried using a Slimjet, which is a fork of Chrome above 50 for XP with just a map open, and the issue persists.  I also disabled Slimjet's built-in ad blocker to reduce the CPU load, and the CPU is still high.

I was watching a friend use Google Maps today on a new Windows 10 laptop, and the screen kept flashing completely black.  That makes me think that Google changed something, and it's not just me.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Michael on August 28, 2019, 10:14:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2019, 07:39:50 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bedminster,+NJ/@40.6436115,-74.6605591,3a,75y,96.63h,90.5t,0.23r/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c396b7daf761a7:0x47d1f51b0a27c8e0!8m2!3d40.669264!4d-74.6804  Going from Street View to map does this.  This is supposed to be Bedminster, NJ.

That issue happens to me every so often too.  I can get around it by changing the end of the URL to ,XXz to go back to map view, then switch back to satellite view.

Lately, Google Maps uses a lot of CPU on my computer.  I'm on an older browser and computer, which means I don't have full GPU acceleration so the CPU gets used more, but until recently, the CPU usage wasn't as bad.  I noticed that Session Buddy and Adblock Plus were using a lot of CPU in addition to the Browser and map tab processes.  Killing the extensions makes a minor improvement, but the CPU is still higher than normal.

I tried using a Slimjet, which is a fork of Chrome above 50 for XP with just a map open, and the issue persists.  I also disabled Slimjet's built-in ad blocker to reduce the CPU load, and the CPU is still high.

I was watching a friend use Google Maps today on a new Windows 10 laptop, and the screen kept flashing completely black.  That makes me think that Google changed something, and it's not just me.

Back in 2016 I just about burned myself giving my parents directions using Google Maps because of the high amount of CPU usage on my phone. It also drained my battery very quickly. That being said I was using a DROID MINI from 2013 (my first phone, I have an S9+ now).

roadman65

Is this here on Google an error? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Texarkana,+TX/@33.4415416,-94.1639111,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x86344132c2a06457:0x9d583c9261db5b70!8m2!3d33.425125!4d-94.0476882  What I am talking about is the city limit line on US 59 at the point it leaves I-369 for Lake Drive?

If you look at a photo I took, you will see a City Limit sign for Texarkana going SB and not NB, that is heading out of the city per Googlemaps.  Now the sign could be in error by leaving out the other half of the info it is implying such as not featuring "Leaving" as other Texas city limits signs convey or like Virginia does at each city limit with enter a county and leave the city thing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48764321847/in/dateposted-public/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

Is there a list of updates from Google of new imagery?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.