News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-80/I-99 West Interchange

Started by qguy, June 16, 2018, 10:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2019, 08:56:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 03:38:13 PM
Isn't State College (I-80) just as bad as Bedford? At least State College is getting a full freeway interchange, finally.
It is now, but the initial section of I-99 first designated/signed didn't go further north than Bald Eagle (if not further south), so it wouldn't have been a factor then.  Why PA was allowed to sign an interstate that doesn't connect to the rest of the system, I don't know.

Congressional dictate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I'm only aware of the I-99 number being signed into law... not anything about allowing it to be signed without a connection to another interstate (something which I'm pretty sure is allowed only for I-69 and I-11 - both of which actually did get an exemption a couple years ago).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AMLNet49

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on March 06, 2019, 12:02:42 AM
Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2019, 08:20:19 PM
Quote from: dfilpus on March 03, 2019, 06:17:13 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 03, 2019, 05:35:52 PM
And I-99 already connects with the interstate system, at its south end. There are no at-grade intersections or traffic lights at I-99's connection to I-70/76
Say what?
He meant I-68.
I think you have the digits swapped there. Clearly meant I-86.
Wow just came back to this thread, yeah clearly I just had a completely false memory of a grade-separated connection between 76 an 99 from a trip to penn state several years ago.  I envisioned an upside down L-shaped double trumpet. But it must have been from somewhere else, because it's clearly not in Bedford PA.

Weird how the only direct freeway connections on I-99 are with the US Routes in Altoona and State College, yet not with the interstates

But at least with this project, I-99 will be virtually complete (aside from the aforementioned I-76 interchange), even if a couple sections technically need to be designated. This project will leave I-99 in the same position as nearby I-86, with both "real" portions and "faux" portions along its length.

Roadsguy

As for the question of how I-99 was designated despite not connecting to an Interstate, it seems the FHWA may just pretend, as seen on their NHS map:

Double blue lines are Interstate corridors.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

goobnav

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 08, 2019, 10:39:47 AM
As for the question of how I-99 was designated despite not connecting to an Interstate, it seems the FHWA may just pretend, as seen on their NHS map:

Same is true for I-476 and I-81 north of Scranton, guess FHWA is Ok as long as they are connected in some way.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

Rothman

Quote from: goobnav on March 08, 2019, 10:57:02 AM

Same is true for I-476 and I-81 north of Scranton, guess FHWA is Ok as long as they are connected in some way.
The connection north of Scranton looks direct to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AMLNet49

Scranton is a freeway-to-freeway connection though

Sure the mainlines don't cross but it is a fundamentally different situation

Roadsguy

Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 08, 2019, 11:02:41 AM

Scranton is a freeway-to-freeway connection though

Sure the mainlines don't cross but it is a fundamentally different situation

Yeah, Clarks summit really isn't an issue like Bedford. You could argue where I-476 actually ends, but it's definitely a freeway-freeway connection with I-81. The FHWA draws the Interstate corridor along the ramp there just to have the lines connect. Meanwhile, PennDOT considers SR 7476 to end at US 11. I don't know about the PTC, but considering that northbound signage still treats the entire approach to the toll plaza as "next exit" numbered 131 and named Clarks Summit, they may consider everything after the would-be fourth trumpet to be "ramps." I have no idea how the PTC inventories their roads and ramps.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

goobnav

Have disagree, not a true freeway to freeway interchange, otherwise PennDOT would not be purposing the project below:

https://www.patpconstruction.com/scrantonbeltway/

Rothman

Quote from: goobnav on March 08, 2019, 11:28:55 AM
Have disagree, not a true freeway to freeway interchange, otherwise PennDOT would not be purposing the project below:

Heh.  You must not know what a toll plaza is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadsguy

First, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission isn't a part of PennDOT.

Second, just because it's a slow-speed connection doesn't mean it's not freeway-freeway. The proposed interchange improvements on the north side are to make this interchange easier to use for I-81 traffic to bypass Scranton on I-476. The connection to the south, on the other hand, is certainly not freeway-freeway. Every movement from I-476 to I-81 here has to run on at-grade PA 315.

goobnav

The PTC and PennDOT would have to work together for this situation and yes, being that I am a native of the area it is not a complete freeway to freeway connection, don't believe me drive it.  The bridge over US 11 is a cool thing to see. 

Definitely know what a toll plaza is and they are in the process of going E-Tolling to try to get people off of that god awful section of 81.

Beltway

Have disagree, not a true freeway to freeway interchange, otherwise PennDOT would not be purposing the project below: https://www.patpconstruction.com/scrantonbeltway/

The existing interchange is low-speed with one-lane ramps good for about 25 mph.

They want to built high-speed direct connections with freeway-standard 2 lane ramps, high speed as in 55 mph or more, between the Turnpike and northerly I-81.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

While I do consider the northern I-81/I-476 connection to be freeway/freeway, goobnav does have a point - one of the ramps from I-81 has a stop sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2019, 02:21:11 PM
While I do consider the northern I-81/I-481 connection to be freeway/freeway, goobnav does have a point - one of the ramps from I-81 has a stop sign.

Freudian slip, perhaps? But seriously, when both high-speed connections are complete and the "Scranton Beltway"  is operational, I see merit in the idea of renumbering that section as an even x81 since it quite literally serves a bypass for I-81 traffic.

But if AASHTO wouldn't approve a new x95 to replace the now-former I-95 in Bucks (PA) and Mercer (NJ) counties, I suppose it's doubtful they'd approve a new number in Scranton.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2019, 02:21:11 PM
While I do consider the northern I-81/I-476 connection to be freeway/freeway, goobnav does have a point - one of the ramps from I-81 has a stop sign.
Lemme guess:  I-81 NB to I-476 SB.  Big deal. :D

signalman

Rothman

Noooooooooo...

(Eh.  Still direct from what I see.)

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

I am still working with the Carlisle interchange, looking at 3 different concepts.

Here is my favorite so a far.  I may need to lengthen the relocated ramp highway and toll plaza and reduce the curves.  May need to expand the Turnpike interchange and widen the ramps.  The direct connection is elevated ramps extending over the existing local interchange.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

What's the little diamond interchange for?

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 10:28:08 PM
What's the little diamond interchange for?

My depiction of the toll plaza.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on March 08, 2019, 10:00:30 PM
I am still working with the Carlisle interchange, looking at 3 different concepts.

Here is my favorite so a far.  I may need to lengthen the relocated ramp highway and toll plaza and reduce the curves.  May need to expand the Turnpike interchange and widen the ramps.  The direct connection is elevated ramps extending over the existing local interchange.

I'm not sure there's a good answer here, but at least it's not a mainline terminus!

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2019, 11:01:40 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 08, 2019, 10:00:30 PM
I'm not sure there's a good answer here, but at least it's not a mainline terminus!

One concept would simplify things by eliminating the local Turnpike interchange, and having the Turnpike local access via the current I-81 and US-11 interchange.  But the Turnpike might not want to have their direct local connection eliminated.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on March 08, 2019, 11:19:13 PMBut the businesses might not want to have their direct local connection eliminated.
FTFY

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.