News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How BGS and other signs are made

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 26, 2012, 04:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I found this on Youtube, a video how signs are made at the MoDot sign shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqPQ1Rgieg&feature=related

I always wondered how the BGS-Structural signs were made. 

One thing I noticed, MO seems to "stick" their letters on BGSes while CT nails their's on.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

xcellntbuy

KEVIN_224

NOTE: No Clearview on that big "Joplin" sign! Ha ha! :)

hbelkins

Interesting. In Kentucky, each district has its own sign shop, and guide signs (a/k/a panel signs or BGSes) are made by a contractor.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2012, 10:04:00 PM
Interesting. In Kentucky, each district has its own sign shop, and guide signs (a/k/a panel signs or BGSes) are made by a contractor.

Wisconsin is similar...each region has its own sign shop, although the sign shops are now mostly for warehousing and distribution. Badger State Industries (a.k.a. the prison system) makes most of the ground signs (WisDOT Type II), and a contractor makes the BGSs (WisDOT Type I). Another contractor handles all of the blue services signs along the freeways.

Quote from: doofy103 on August 26, 2012, 04:46:44 PM
...One thing I noticed, MO seems to "stick" their letters on BGSes while CT nails their's on.

Wisconsin's are all riveted.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadsguy

Not one Clearview sign that I could see. :wow:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Special K

Iowa: one central sign shop for Type A (aluminum sheet) signs, contractors for Type B (extruded aluminum BGS).  Riveted legend.  I think the sign shop can only provide signs for sign replacement, as new construction projects must be contracted.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 27, 2012, 08:59:29 AM

Well, yes, it's MoDOT. As far as I can remember they have yet to install any Clearview at all.

(That is not to say there is no Clearview in Missouri–Kansas City has installed some wayfinding signs downtown with it–but MoDOT strongly favors FHWA series!)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cu2010

That Adopt-a-Highway sign at 2:52 had Clearview letters...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Scott5114

Quote from: cu2010 on August 27, 2012, 10:47:07 AM

No, it didn't. MoDOT Adopt-a-Highway signs use a non-standard sans-serif font. I dunno what it is, but it's not Clearview.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cu2010

Looked like Clearview to me (at least the sponsor part)...but I'm probably wrong. :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

J N Winkler

I am not aware of a single MoDOT experiment with Clearview.  As Scott5411 says, expressway wayfinding signs in Kansas City use Clearview, but the scheme was developed and is administered by Kansas City, not MoDOT.

I loathe MoDOT's use of non-FHWA series on litter signs and the "Progress as promised" series of construction project identification signs.  (For that matter, I loathe the use of non-FHWA series in the sunflower design on Kansas' litter signs as well as on toll-road shields in general.)  Arialgrovertesk indeed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Quote from: cu2010 on August 27, 2012, 11:41:51 AM
Looked like Clearview to me (at least the sponsor part)...but I'm probably wrong. :)

First few times I saw them in the wild in Missouri, I thought they were Clearview.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 27, 2012, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: cu2010 on August 27, 2012, 10:47:07 AM

No, it didn't. MoDOT Adopt-a-Highway signs use a non-standard sans-serif font. I dunno what it is, but it's not Clearview.

I asked a friend of mine who's an aspiring graphic designer. He identified it as Abadi.

(If anyone still doubts that it's not Clearview: Look at the "G". Clearview's G doesn't have a spur.)
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.