News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Crossing The Colorado Rockies On I-70 With C.W. McCall. -- An "Audiobook"

Started by thenetwork, June 13, 2014, 07:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

I just thought of this when I saw another thread on audiobooks.

For those who are of the age that keep telling kids to stay off their lawn, you may remember a country music artist by the name of C.W. McCall.  His biggest hit, "Convoy" went to #1 in 1976 and started the CB Radio craze.

C.W., whose real name is Bill Fries, slowly faded off the C&W charts by the 1980s.  He later became the Mayor of Ouray, CO for many years and is now somewhat of a recluse in SW Colorado.

Back in 1989, C.W. McCall put out a cassette tape which was made primarily for the truck drivers who had to drive I-70 through the mountains of Colorado, west of Denver, called "Crossing The Colorado Rockies On I-70 With C.W. McCall".

He has a website where you can listen to, "download", or order a free CD copy of this "audiobook" at:  http://www.cw-mccall.com/convoys/rockies.html

Even if you are not a truck-driver, there is some great descriptions and history of the area that you will be traveling through.  There is one cassette "side" for Eastbound I-70 and one cassette "side" for Westbound I-70.

Definitely worth bringing along with you next time you travel the I-70 corridor west of Denver.

roadman

Thanks for sharing this.  I've been a C.W. McCall fan since Convoy hit the charts in 1975, so I do plan on checking this out - even though it's unlikely I'll be traveling Interstate 70 through Colorado any time soon.

Sidebar:  Interstate 80, not Interstate 70, was normally mentioned in C.W.'s 'trucker driving all night' songs like Old Home Filler Up and Keep On A' Truckin CafĂ© and Night Rider.  OTOH, Interstate 80 doesn't go through Colorado at all.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Checked out the web site, and I found the audiobook to be very interesting - even though I'm not a trucker.  It appears you can only order CDs of the updated version, and not the original cassette (the MP3 files of the original cassette don't appear to be downloadable).  When I contact the woman at CMCA, I'll see if I can get CDS of both the original and updated versions.

Was having issues with my laptop earlier, which is the reason I couldn't originally download the files.  It's since been resolved, so disregard most of the above comment.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.