AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: I-49 in Arkansas  (Read 1295834 times)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
Re: I-49 in Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »

How much would a crossing roughly cost?

As of December 2009, it was estimated at $1 Million
http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices-regional-local/13536201-1.html

Times Record Online is starting a series this week on Fort Smith's future.  Brief mention today of cost of Arkansas River bridge:

There remains, of course, that small matter of a new bridge to cross the Arkansas River - at a cost of upwards of $300 million - to keep the ultimate completion of I-49 in the hazy distance.
(http://www.swtimes.com/opinion/we/article_e0908754-b904-11df-acf5-001cc4c03286.html)

A related article focuses on the bridge itself:

“It’s the elephant no one wants to talk about,”  said Ken O’Donnell, a former transportation planner with the Western Arkansas Planning and Development District.
His “elephant”  is a proposed $100 million bridge that would be north of Arkansas 22, span the Arkansas River then connect to I-540 north of Interstate 40.
Until the bridge is finished, I-40 and proposed I-49 cannot cross to form what could one day be the most economically important intersection in the region – one that brings together one major highway that spans the United States from east to west and another that reaches from Winnipeg, Canada, to New Orleans.
What makes the bridge a forbidding subject may be its cost.
Van Buren Mayor Bob Freeman said he’s heard a $150 million estimate of the cost of the bridge structure alone and another $200 million for the ramps and approaches leading up to it.
(http://www.swtimes.com/special_reports/article_83924506-b78d-11df-ab48-001cc4c03286.html)

Also from above-linked article:

By 2014, the state highway department will schedule paving work on the section of I-49 between U.S. 71 and Arkansas 22, Flowers said. That should complete the segment through Chaffee Crossing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:35:26 AM by Grzrd »

bugo

• The Devil has arrived!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 08:22:28 PM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »

Times Record Online is starting a series this week on Fort Smith's future.  Brief mention today of cost of Arkansas River bridge:
"There remains, of course, that small matter of a new bridge to cross the Arkansas River - at a cost of upwards of $300 million - to keep the ultimate completion of I-49 in the hazy distance."
(http://www.swtimes.com/opinion/we/article_e0908754-b904-11df-acf5-001cc4c03286.html)

Build it as a toll bridge.  Just as long as it gets built.  There also needs to be a western extension of I-540 across the Arkansas River to meet I-40 near Muldrow.  And a connector (I-x49?) between I-49 and I-540 on the south end of Ft Smith to provide a freeway connection from Ft Smith to I-49 south without having to travel on US 71, which is a slow 55 MPH four lane divided highway with traffic lights.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »

Build it as a toll bridge.  Just as long as it gets built.

RITA official hopes (in a Sept. 5, 2010 article), at the very least, funding sources will be identified for the Arkansas Bridge by 2020:

Through his job as intermodal manager at the Western Arkansas Planning and Development District, Mat Pitsch does much of the administrative work for RITA.
When RITA celebrates it’s 11th birthday, he hopes it has reached some milestones.
“I would hope our long-term projects have legs,”  he said. “... By 2020, we would have I-49 completed through the region. (The I-49 Bella Vista bypass) would be done, and we’d be next on the list. If the (I-49 Arkansas River) bridge isn’t built, then (funding) sources will be identified.”
(http://www.swtimes.com/special_reports/article_f81e30ca-b791-11df-aa49-001cc4c03286.html)

Wonder if they are considering the toll option?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:38:04 AM by Grzrd »

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »

Build it as a toll bridge.  Just as long as it gets built.
RITA official hopes (in a Sept. 5, 2010 article), at the very least, funding sources will be identified for the Arkansas Bridge by 2020

Possibly sooner than 2020 if Obama infrastructure plan implemented:

CONNECTING I-49
Fort Smith City Administrator Dennis Kelly said he sent a letter to Federal Highway Administration officials Tuesday (Sept. 7) reminding them of the regional needs. The primary need has a minimum $330 million price tag and would cover the construction of I-49 from the Alma-Interstate 40 interchange, across the Arkansas River and connect with I-49 sections now under construction through Chaffee Crossing. Kelly said recent trips to Washington and working with Washington D.C.-based Watts Partners – the city’s lobbying group – have served to reinforce the $330 million section.
“With that letter, I wanted to get the word to them (FHA) right away to let them know we are aware of it (funding potential from proposed Obama plan),”  Kelly said."
[HOWEVER]
"WAIT-AND-SEE
The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department is also reserving judgment, with spokesman Glenn Bolick saying they are “taking a wait-and-see approach”  to the plan.
“We would welcome any additional funding and will look forward to seeing what projects we have in Arkansas that might fit the criteria. We don't know any program specifics at this time, but with over $23 billion in anticipated needs projected over the next 10 years and only about $4 billion in expected funds to meet that demand we would certainly expect to have projects that meet any criteria,”  Bolick said in an e-mail statement.
(Sept. 8, 2010 The City Wire: http://www.thecitywire.com/index.php?q=node/11713).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:41:06 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »

RITA official hopes (in a Sept. 5, 2010 article), at the very least, funding sources will be identified for the Arkansas Bridge by 2020

Possibly sooner than 2020 if Obama infrastructure plan implemented:

I'll believe it when I see it.
(And that's all I have to say so I don't start a flame war) :jumping:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Same here.  BUT, I can envision a more likely scenario.

First, it looks like the Fort Smith official did the simple math: $50 billion/50 states=$1 billion.  $1 billion/ equally among road, rail & airports is roughly $330 million figure he touted in his letter.

Here's the scenario:
1. RITA (Fort Smith/ NWA "mega-region") and AHTD both appear to have Bella Vista Bypass as a much higher priority.  Also, Feds demonstrated firm interest in BVB with a $10 million TIGER grant.  IIRC, it was recently estimated that it would take $250 million to build BVB as a full, four-lane interstate.  Arkansas has already committed $50 million to the project, leaving a $200 million shortfall.  If $200 million committed to BVB, then $130 million is left for other Arkansas road projects.

2. Missouri had been waiting on Arkansas for BVB, but decided to finish I-49 from I-435 to I-44 first by reallocating $65 million of $72 million that had been set aside for Missouri portion of BVB.  So, Missouri could allocate $65 million of its $330 million "piece of pie" to BVB.

3. Arkansas is "shovel-ready" and can immediately put people to work since first letting for BVB Super-2 is scheduled for February, 2011.  Missouri presumably could ramp up pretty quickly since they had been waiting on Arkansas.

4. Multi-state cooperative project is appealing to Feds; they have already divvied up TIGER grants between Missouri & Arkansas for BVB.

5. No design work has been done on the Arkansas River Bridge:

Dan Flowers, Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department director, said the $100 million estimate is based on the cost of similar four-lane bridges recently built elsewhere. It includes only the bridge itself.
No design work has been done, so no exact estimate is possible right now.
(http://www.swtimes.com/special_reports/article_83924506-b78d-11df-ab48-001cc4c03286.html)

Maybe some of $130 million could be allocated for design work on the bridge.

6. To sum it up, re Arkansas River bridge, the best hope scenario is to get design work going and simultaneously have an accelerated construction schedule for a full four-lane BVB that will allow the Arkansas River bridge to "bubble up" both RITA's and AHTD's respective priority chains.

7. If REALLY lucky, also get some $$$ for preliminary work on Alma I-40 interchange.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT:

From a Sept. 8, 2010 City Wire article:

the $787 billion stimulus contained $28 billion, or just 3.55%, for infrastructure projects nationwide.
(http://www.thecitywire.com/index.php?q=node/11713)

I won't comment as a member of either political party, but as a simple member of Roadgeek Nation [sorry, it's those football cross-currents again]: WHAT A MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

Sadly, I just don't think the $50 billion is now there for above-outlined scenario.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:45:21 AM by Grzrd »

rte66man

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »

Re: the southern Fort Smith interstate. Back in 1998 when OK was looking at the GARVEE bonds, one of the state reps had me look at the cost of building a four-lane interstate from I40 just west of Muldrow south and east to join with the current I540 near the state line. It would have to cross both the Arkansas and the Poteau River as well as a large floodplain. At that time, ODOT made a ballpark guess of $300 million (wish I had that in writing).  The rep dropped it as his share of the pork... errr bonds wasn't nearly that much.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »

I was through there yesterday. The crossbeams are up on the overpasses over AR 22, but the bridge walls are still under construction.
Is this a photo of the ongoing AR 22 overpass work?: http://www.kfsm.com/news/rivervalley/kfsm-news-i49funding-obama-infrastructure-plan,0,7266894.story
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:57:11 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

I was through there yesterday. The crossbeams are up on the overpasses over AR 22, but the bridge walls are still under construction.
Is this a photo of the ongoing AR 22 overpass work?: http://www.kfsm.com/news/rivervalley/kfsm-news-i49funding-obama-infrastructure-plan,0,7266894.story

From maybe a year ago ;)

August 2009 (looking south from AR 22)

I need to update my photos... thanks for the reminder :)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »

Back in 1998 when OK was looking at the GARVEE bonds, one of the state reps had me look at the cost of building a four-lane interstate from I40 just west of Muldrow south and east to join with the current I540 near the state line. It would have to cross both the Arkansas and the Poteau River as well as a large floodplain. At that time, ODOT made a ballpark guess of $300 million

Discussion about flood plain and Arkansas River Bridge in Sept. 9 Times Record Online (http://www.swtimes.com/news/article_6553403c-bc23-11df-8998-001cc4c002e0.html):

... Mark Yardley, Alma public works director, says he believes the opportunity for growth the new highway would bring is “significant”  – attracting industrial prospects as well as freight haulers and distribution centers – current funding conditions make talk about completing the highway just “pie in the sky.”
Alma Mayor John Ballentine believes the Alma portion is likely to be the last leg of the still-unfunded highway completed because of the costly bridge that must span the Arkansas River.
Ballentine reckons the structure will cost $400 million, but that number is a shape-shifter, changing based on who is speaking and what the cost includes.
Ken O’Donnell, until recently the director of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Organization, said the stated cost is a bit lower – $280 million to $320 million. That’s starting with the $100 million for the bridge span itself, then adding approaches, ramps and the other things needed to make it accessible.
Because the route approaching the bridge travels through the Kibler bottoms, a flood plain, it might require building a berm or putting the roadway on supports as it extends to the bridge.
O’Donnell said costs for the highway on-grade are computed on a linear foot basis. If the roadway is elevated, the cost must be computed on a square-foot basis. The cost of a multilane interstate bridge spanning the Arkansas River “jumps off the page at you,”  he said.
Last on Alma’s list of concerns is the missing interchange.
Yardley said Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department officials have not included in their plans an interchange routing I-49 to U.S. 64, a key element of getting the highway traffic into central Alma.
Yardley said AHTD planners blamed the proximity of U.S. 64 to I-40 and conflicts with the Union Pacific Railroad corridor, which parallels U.S. 64 and I-40.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:54:46 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »

"Alma Mayor John Ballentine believes the Alma portion is likely to be the last leg of the still-unfunded highway completed because of the costly bridge that must span the Arkansas River.

He's also griping because Alma may not get its own exit off I-49 at US 64 (too close to I-40, Right of Way concerns at the railroad).

Apo'strophe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:43:11 PM by AlpsROADS »

ShawnP

• Last Login: December 30, 2018, 12:48:31 AM
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »

Yeah update them or you will lose 50 road geek points :)

From maybe a year ago ;)

August 2009 (looking south from AR 22)

I need to update my photos... thanks for the reminder :)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

Here's an interesting article (Sept. 11 Times Record Online) about the fight between Barling and Fort Smith for acreage along the I-49 corridor when Fort Chaffee was downsized:

BARLING - Although bruised feelings and mistrust linger in some quarters, for the most part Barling, Fort Smith and the Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority have settled their disputes over the land now referred to as Chaffee Crossing.
The land - 7,000 acres released by the U.S. Army from Fort Chaffee as part of a Base Closing and Realignment downsizing - was at the heart of a feud between the two northern Sebastian County cities.
Barling, working just ahead of the BRAC Commission, had annexed the land of Fort Chaffee, thinking that if the land were decommissioned it would then become part of Barling.
Fort Smith argued that the land was being released to spur economic development, something the much bigger city thought it could manage better than adjacent Barling.
Ultimately, before the feud could come to fisticuffs or courtrooms, the cities reached an agreement about municipal boundaries on the excess land, an agreement that ceded the lion's share of the land to Fort Smith, but left Barling with desirable acreage along the corridor eventually that will become Interstate 49 and that highway's intersection with Arkansas 22 and Arkansas 59.
The agreement required Barling to show progress on developing the land, and it did.
"With the agreement, we were required to develop the property that we received from the FCRA within an eight-year period," Barling City Administrator Ray Caruthers said recently.
The Redevelopment Authority passed a resolution earlier this year showing Barling has met that requirement.
(http://www.swtimes.com/week-in-review/news/article_e6090c86-bd89-11df-9aa4-001cc4c002e0.html)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:52:55 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »

Greenwood almost took some of that land for a new High School, but it was voted down.

Everyone is going to want a piece of the pie once I-49 is completed.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »

There also needs to be a western extension of I-540 across the Arkansas River to meet I-40 near Muldrow.  And a connector (I-x49?) between I-49 and I-540 on the south end of Ft Smith to provide a freeway connection from Ft Smith to I-49 south...
Re: the southern Fort Smith interstate. Back in 1998 when OK was looking at the GARVEE bonds, one of the state reps had me look at the cost of building a four-lane interstate from I40 just west of Muldrow south and east to join with the current I540 near the state line. It would have to cross both the Arkansas and the Poteau River as well as a large floodplain. At that time, ODOT made a ballpark guess of $300 million

Sept. 12 Times Record Online reports that current economic conditions are pushing the southern Fort Smith bypass interstate further into the future:

http://www.swtimes.com/week-in-review/news/article_d0197290-bd88-11df-93ff-001cc4c002e0.html

Bruce ... Tabor, a longtime Sequoyah County commissioner, is a member of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Organization Board...
When completed, I-49 will run north to south from the Canadian border near Winnipeg to New Orleans.
Tabor said the group considered trying to get a bypass developed - maybe from the Muldrow area to the south side of Fort Smith - for easier access, but he thinks the economy has pushed that far into the future.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:54:55 AM by Grzrd »

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

I had not checked i-49.org's website in a long time.  They now have a page devoted exclusively to Chaffee Crossing projects (with photos): http://interstate49.org/clients/25/media/documents/CHAF3592%20I49%20PROGRESS%20REPORT.pdf

BTW - I must admit that I have not signed the petition.

EDIT

Even more photos on 1-49 Coalition's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Interstate-49-BUILD-THE-ROAD/360183234483?ref=ts
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:44:38 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »

Even more photos on 1-49 Coalition's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Interstate-49-BUILD-THE-ROAD/360183234483?ref=ts

Interesting how he got a couple topside photos. Must have gone up on the weekend.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2010, 11:29:03 PM »

Relatively small Chaffee Crossing bid awarded today with Massard Road-Roberts Blvd. project awarded to Forsgren, Inc. for $14,625,422.88:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/letting/Sep%20'10%20Award%20List.pdf

Also, some fed money released (approximately $3.4 million) to widen entrance and exit ramps on I-540 (Future I-49) between Fayetteville and Bentonville: http://firstarkansasnews.net/2010/09/grant-round-up-for-august-2/

$3.4 million to work on I-540
A grant totaling $3,435,000 in U.S. Department of Transportation funds have now been released to continue construction on Interstate 540 between Fayetteville and Bentonville. The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department will use the funding to widen entrance and exit ramps at several interchanges along I-540 between Fayetteville and Bentonville. It will also create additional lanes that will help reduce traffic congestion and support the future Interstate 49, which will run from Kansas City, Mo., to Shreveport, La.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:56:55 AM by Grzrd »

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

Relatively small Chaffee Crossing bid awarded today with Massard Road-Roberts Blvd. project awarded to Forsgren, Inc. for $14,625,422.88:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/letting/Sep%20'10%20Award%20List.pdf

Also, some fed money released (approximately $3.4 million) to widen entrance and exit ramps on I-540 (Future I-49) between Fayetteville and Bentonville: http://firstarkansasnews.net/2010/09/grant-round-up-for-august-2/

They are already playing in the dirt along Massard, but little else. I'll swing by in a week or so to see what's going on.
--

The I-540 Ramp Project had been cussed & discussed for a few years, but only so much AHTD can do without totally rebuilding them (though I wouldn't complain if they had to take out the Red Roof Inn at 6th St, er, MLK Blvd. ;)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »

I always wonder why they don't round up the 88¢ or whatever on these multi-million-dollar projects to the nearest dollar. The extra 12¢ isn't going to kill them, is it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sykotyk

• Last Login: February 21, 2024, 11:11:42 AM
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »

Hell, round to the nearest $100. Doesn't make a bit of difference as the effective savings/cost is trivial when the burden is spread out amongst thousands or millions of people.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »

A lobbyist for Fort Smith (with Watts Partners in D.C.) recently advised Fort Smith civic leaders that "signals" indicate that both Obama Administration and Congress realize that recent stimulus efforts have not created hoped-for number of jobs; as a result, he opines that infrastructure project funding requests will receive favorable treatment from the feds: http://www.thecitywire.com/?q=node/12457

Steve Pruitt ... a lobbyist with Washington D.C.-based Watts Partners, talked about the federal budget and appropriations timetables in coming months, and stressed to the directors the need to be more focused and precise with Congressional funding requests. Watts Partners is the lobbying firm retained by the city of Fort Smith.
Three primary points were made by Pruitt during his update on political realities – as dynamic as those realities are – in Washington:
- The funding process is out of whack because Congress has yet to approve a 2011 budget resolution;
- The funding/earmark process will become more rigorous; and,
- The Obama Administration and Congress may be more focused on funding infrastructure projects that have a better chance of producing jobs.
Pruitt said “signals”  in funding priorities suggest a “heightened focus”  on special funding and earmark programs going to true infrastructure projects. Just $29 billion of the about $900 billion stimulus plan went for roads and other infrastructure projects, and that didn’t ultimately create enough jobs, Pruitt explained.
“It produced far less than the 1 million jobs they projected,”  Pruitt said.
To that end, Pruitt strongly encouraged the city to “determine”  and “communicate”  a more precise list of funding priorities – preferably with an infrastructure component. He also said the budget timetable dates “are critical”  for the city to meet in order to improve chances for funding. Key dates in the timetable include: Sept. 30, federal agencies submit first funding requests to the Office of Management & Budget; Dec. 15, agencies submit revised requests to OMB; Jan. 30, agencies submit final budget requests to OMB.
The city board is expected to formally approve the city’s top 10 funding requests at their Nov. 2 regular meeting. The proposed priority list is as follows.
1. Interstate 49 between Interstate 40 and U.S. 71 South (project would include a bridge across the Arkansas River) ...
On the funding requests, Pruitt advised the city to become “more aggressive”  in asking for the full amount of a project, and prioritize with projects that “can be up and running in a quick fashion.” ...

I have a difficult time understanding this viewpoint in light of how infrastructure projects received minimal support during TIGER I and TIGER II rounds.  For example, BVB is a shovel-ready project that should be able to immediately create jobs.  Nevertheless, BVB received only $10 million in TIGER I and no money in TIGER II.  Meanwhile a hiking and biking trail in northwest Arkansas received $15 million in TIGER II less than a month ago: http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/oct/29/how-we-see-it-now-s-stimulating-20101029/?nwa-opinion

I agree that investing in infrastructure makes a lot of sense, but I just don't see the "signals" that infrastructure projects are now back in favor.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:59:05 AM by Grzrd »

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »

3.03 mile two-lane section (Hwy. 72 South to Hwy. 72 North) of Bella Vista Bypass is now advertised to be let on February 23.  Work scheduled to be completed by April 2014:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/General/JOBS_include.aspx

ARKANSAS STATE HIGHWAY AND TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT
JOB 090292
HWY. 72 SOUTH-HWY. 72 NORTH (BELLA VISTA BYPASS) (F)
FEDERAL AID PROJECT NCIIP-HPP2-STDP-STPD-9036(13)

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO CONSTRUCT 2 LANES FOR 3.030 MILES OF HWY. 71, CONSTRUCT THE INTERCHANGES AT HWY. 72N AND HWY. 72S WITH RAMPS, RECONSTRUCT HWY. 279, AND CONSTRUCT FRONTAGE ROADS AND COUNTY ROAD CONNECTORS IN BENTON COUNTY.  THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF GRADING, MINOR DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, CEMENT STABILIZED CRUSHED STONE BASE COURSE, AGGREGATE BASE COURSE, ACHM BASE, BINDER AND SURFACE COURSES, PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE PAVEMENT, TWO CONTINUOUS COMPOSITE PLATE GIRDER BRIDGES (TOTAL LENGTHS 234.41' & 282.24'), TWO CONTINUOUS COMPOSITE W-BEAM BRIDGES (TOTAL LENGTHS 206.26' & 207.14'), MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC, EROSION CONTROL ITEMS AND MISC. ITEMS ... THE SUCCESSFUL BIDDER WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS CONTRACT ON OR BEFORE 04/11/14.

Any guesses as to what percentage of fifteen miles of BVB in Arkansas will be finished ten years from now?  Also, since Missouri is scheduled to finish Pineville to I-435 upgrade to I-49 by late 2012/ early 2013, will they have started work on their 5-mile section of BVB ten years from now?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:00:00 AM by Grzrd »

ShawnP

• Last Login: December 30, 2018, 12:48:31 AM
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »

50% on Arkansas portion and nothing on Missouri. It would be cheaper for Missouri to go now with reduced building costs but MODOT is more broke than the state of Illinois now.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

50% on Arkansas portion and nothing on Missouri. It would be cheaper for Missouri to go now with reduced building costs but MODOT is more broke than the state of Illinois now.

The section being bid on is approx 1/3 of the Bentonville-Bella Vista segment. Once it is complete, AHTD plans to bid on Hiwasse to Missouri. Generally, though, just doing this small segment is a joke.

Here's a map of the area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=opera&q=hiwasse,+ar&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hiwasse,+Benton,+Arkansas&ll=36.421144,-94.325695&spn=0.041163,0.066175&z=14
Missouri spent all their money upgrading 71 north of Carthage because Arkansas wasn't ready.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.