Why isn't I-57 in Chicago a named "expressway"?

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 30, 2013, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

This came up on another thread. Almost all freeways ("expressways") in the Chicago area have a designated name to them: Kennedy, Eisenhower, Stevenson, Dan Ryan, etc. I was just wondering... why doesn't I-57 have a name?

Any ideas?
-A.J. from Michigan

kkt

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 30, 2013, 12:39:44 PM
This came up on another thread. Almost all freeways ("expressways") in the Chicago area have a designated name to them: Kennedy, Eisenhower, Stevenson, Dan Ryan, etc. I was just wondering... why doesn't I-57 have a name?

Any ideas?

Maybe they're saving it for Obama?

Brandon

It is a named expressway, but the name, like that of I-80 (Moline Expy), is rarely used.

I-57 is the West Leg of the Dan Ryan Expressway.  It could be considered a southward extension of the Ryan, but the name is not used.  My guess is to differentiate between the main stem of the Ryan (I-90/94) and the West Leg (I-57), the name is never used.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 41

[/quote]

[/quote]

God I hope not.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: US 41 on May 02, 2013, 08:41:32 AM

[/quote]

God I hope not.
[/quote]

There is already an "Obama Dr" in the area being used on 127th St in Calumet Park which does go over I-57.  The signage on I-57 does not reflect it but the actual surface street does with a very tiny "127th Street" in the top left corner of the sign.  So I highly doubt that the state, politics aside, will apply Obama Frwy to I-57 ever.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

N9JIG

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 03, 2013, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: US 41 on May 02, 2013, 08:41:32 AM

God I hope not.
[/quote]

There is already an "Obama Dr" in the area being used on 127th St in Calumet Park which does go over I-57.  The signage on I-57 does not reflect it but the actual surface street does with a very tiny "127th Street" in the top left corner of the sign.  So I highly doubt that the state, politics aside, will apply Obama Frwy to I-57 ever.
[/quote]

Not that I support renaming I-57 or any other road after Obama (or any other president), there is no reason why naming a surface street after him would prevent the expressway from being named for him too.
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

hobsini2

N9JIG, think of it this way. How many times does that already exist where a freeway name has an interchange or an overpass  with an arterial street that has the same name. I can't think of any off hand. This would be an interesting question to answer in the general talk section.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Chicago's first President is going to have a bunch of stuff named after him in that city when all is said and done.  I wouldn't doubt that a highway of some sort is one of those things. 

Henry

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 25, 2013, 10:24:37 AM
Chicago's first President is going to have a bunch of stuff named after him in that city when all is said and done.  I wouldn't doubt that a highway of some sort is one of those things. 
It'll be very hard to disagree with that statement!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rick Powell

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 24, 2013, 07:20:37 PM
N9JIG, think of it this way. How many times does that already exist where a freeway name has an interchange or an overpass  with an arterial street that has the same name. I can't think of any off hand. This would be an interesting question to answer in the general talk section.

Oswego IL has a Douglas Street and a Douglas Road, both of substantial length.  I wonder if anyone ever gets their mail mixed up? 

N9JIG

Heck, Illinois even had 2 routes with the same number crossing each other for a while. When IL-5 was rechristened I-88 on the East-West Tollway (Now the Reagan...) it crossed IL-88 for a couple years before IL-88 was changed to IL-40.

President Reagan has 2 highways named after him in Illinois, US-14 from Chicago to Harvard and the aforementioned I-88. They don't cross however.
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Revive 755

Quote from: N9JIG on June 25, 2013, 06:38:16 PM
President Reagan has 2 highways named after him in Illinois, US-14 from Chicago to Harvard and the aforementioned I-88. They don't cross however.

Isn't there also a "Ronald Reagan Trail" somewhere in IL?

Yes I am not sure exactly where it goes but it runs through Galesburg and ends in Monmouth

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 24, 2013, 07:20:37 PM

Close, but no cigar:  http://goo.gl/maps/p7w5Q
Technically, the Turnpike has an interchange with Turnpike Drive, but the exit is signed for K-15.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

N9JIG

Isn't there also a "Ronald Reagan Trail" somewhere in IL?

Yes, this is one of those brown-signed routes that runs N-S thru north central IL, partly on IL-26. It is not a route designation in the numbering sense, more like the Great River Road etc.

hobsini2

Rick, Douglas St and Douglas Rd in Oswego is not the type of case I was asking for.  There are several instances were minor roads with the same name cross. Hell I even know of (also in Oswego) where Manhattan Circle meets Manhattan Circle at a 4 way intersection.

N9JIG, as far as highway numbers that are the same, again, not what I was asking for. That also occurs in several places.

KP has come the closest with what I was looking for.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.