News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFromNewEngland

Does anyone know if there any widening projects planned or proposed for the Cape? Obviously it's very hard to do now because of the development, but I'd be interested to see if they ever even thought about widening roads such as MA 28 or even US 6.

Rothman

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on August 08, 2015, 12:04:01 PM
Does anyone know if there any widening projects planned or proposed for the Cape? Obviously it's very hard to do now because of the development, but I'd be interested to see if they ever even thought about widening roads such as MA 28 or even US 6.

I can't imagine MA 28 would ever be widened.  Too many mini-golf courses would have to be taken out. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on August 08, 2015, 12:04:01 PM

I don't know anything about it, but merely talking out of my ass I would guess that between wetlands, the aquifer, and the Cape Cod Commission, it's got to be extra hard to widen Route 6.  It's also fairly pointless–I don't usually see bad traffic on the super-2 section other than at the lane drop (mitigating which doesn't warrant 12 additional lane-miles each way).  North of the rotary I could see a passing lane or two, but most of the problems there are just due to a narrow spit being very popular to visit.  At the Sagamore there is no sense building lanes to simply store traffic waiting to cross a narrow bridge (and there's another thread alread on that situation).

Plus, the Cape is in some ways an overblown competitor for highway dollars.  It's the state's biggest tourist region, but for four months a year, after which it's another semi-rural county suffering from economic depression, rampant substance abuse, brain drain, and nature's guaranteed-successful plan to eliminate it altogether.  Not exactly a growth area.

JakeFromNewEngland

I noticed they put up one of those new travel time signs that MassDOT has been installing on the Cape on I-195 east in Swansea just before the large construction zone. This one was orange though, is this due to it being temporary because of the road work zone?

roadman

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on August 13, 2015, 12:40:08 PM
I noticed they put up one of those new travel time signs that MassDOT has been installing on the Cape on I-195 east in Swansea just before the large construction zone. This one was orange though, is this due to it being temporary because of the road work zone?
Correct.  Once the Route 79 project is completed, the travel time signs on I-195 and Route 24 will be converted to standard white on green travel time signs.   My spies tell me that the revised signs will likely have different destinations than those on the current signs, which indicate routes and destinations relevant to the Route 79 project, though.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

AMLNet49

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but when the mileage based exit numbers are installed, will I-395 and I-290 be treated as two separate routes? Or will mileage on both of them start from the state line as is currently the case with the exit numbers?

roadman

Quote from: AMLNet49 on August 17, 2015, 10:27:59 PM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but when the mileage based exit numbers are installed, will I-395 and I-290 be treated as two separate routes? Or will mileage on both of them start from the state line as is currently the case with the exit numbers?
As the mile merkers reset at the I-395/I-290 divide, the current plan is for I-395 and I-290 to be treated as separate routes for the exit numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 07, 2015, 10:52:42 AMUpgrading I-95 signage from Reading to Peabody is to occur in FY 2019 (Project 608205)
Weren't those signs already replaced not too long ago (less than 10 years)?  Such can't be just for exit number conversions.

Quote from: bob7374 on August 07, 2015, 10:52:42 AMalong with upgrading signage on US 1 from Chelsea to Danvers (Project 608206) (will that include exit numbers?)
Somehow, I don't think that US 1 will be getting its own set of exit numbers but if it did (a la limited-access stretches of MA 2); such would only be for the Northeast Expressway (Chelsea to Revere/Saugus) stretch.  North of there (to the Danvers/Topsfield line), US 1 is a Jersey-type, arterial highway.  While highways of that ilk have interchanges; they're not typically numbered.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 18, 2015, 10:55:40 AM
Weren't those signs already replaced not too long ago (less than 10 years)?  Such can't be just for exit number conversions.

Most on the signs on I-95 from Reading to Peabody were last updated in 1999 and 2000.  The signs on I-95 north at the Lynnfield/Peabody line for the Route 128 split were replaced in 2006 and will be retained as part of the new project.

QuoteSomehow, I don't think that US 1 will be getting its own set of exit numbers but if it did (a la limited-access stretches of MA 2); such would only be for the Northeast Expressway (Chelsea to Revere/Saugus) stretch.  North of there (to the Danvers/Topsfield line), US 1 is a Jersey-type, arterial highway.  While highways of that ilk have interchanges; they're not typically numbered.

US 1 between Chelsea and the Danvers/Topsfield line will not be getting exit numbers as part of either the exit renumbering project or the eventual sign replacement.

roadman

bob7374

While not yet on the MassDOT website, the Saturday Boston Globe had their weekly public notice of upcoming Highway Division Proposals which this week included the ad for the project "Exit Signage Conversion to Milepost-based Numbering System along various Interstates, Routes, and the Lowell Connector (608024)" Project Value $2.08 Million. The bids are to be opened on November 17.

southshore720

QUESTION:  Do MA 3 and US 3 share a mileage log, or does US 3 reset the mileage log in Cambridge when the designation changes?  Just curious for the eventual mileage-based exit numbering...

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on September 23, 2015, 09:47:46 AM
QUESTION:  Do MA 3 and US 3 share a mileage log, or does US 3 reset the mileage log in Cambridge when the designation changes?  Just curious for the eventual mileage-based exit numbering...
According to Despite MassDOT's Route Log, which implies that US 3 and MA 3 have separate mileposting unless you look at the data closely enough, the mileposting is continuous for both the MA and US sections for Route 3.  So the new exit numbers on each route will not indeed be related.  Of course, MA 3 will use the new I-93 exit numbers north of Braintree.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/planning/Main/MapsDataandReports/Maps/HighwayRouteLog.aspx

Thanks to PHLBOS for the clarification - my bad for not reading the Route Log information more closely

cl94

Quote from: bob7374 on September 13, 2015, 09:44:19 PM
While not yet on the MassDOT website, the Saturday Boston Globe had their weekly public notice of upcoming Highway Division Proposals which this week included the ad for the project "Exit Signage Conversion to Milepost-based Numbering System along various Interstates, Routes, and the Lowell Connector (608024)" Project Value $2.08 Million. The bids are to be opened on November 17.

We knew this was coming within the next year or two, so not a shock. Glad to see it's actually moving forward.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on September 23, 2015, 10:03:09 AM
According to MassDOT's Route Log, US 3 and MA 3 have separate mileposting.  So the new exit numbers on each route will not be related.  Of course, MA 3 will use the new I-93 exit numbers north of Braintree.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/planning/Main/MapsDataandReports/Maps/HighwayRouteLog.aspx
At present & in the real world, US 3 mile markers contradict such and are indeed a continuation of MA 3.

Mile Marker 72.2 along northbound US 3 in Burlington
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 23, 2015, 10:17:56 AM
Quote from: roadman on September 23, 2015, 10:03:09 AM
According to MassDOT's Route Log, US 3 and MA 3 have separate mileposting.  So the new exit numbers on each route will not be related.  Of course, MA 3 will use the new I-93 exit numbers north of Braintree.

At present & in the real world, US 3 mile markers contradict such and are indeed a continuation of MA 3.

Mile Marker 72.2 along northbound US 3 in Burlington

Thanks.  My bad for not reading the Route Log Info more closely - it's not the best site for getting info "at a glance".  I've corrected my original post.

bob7374

Quote from: cl94 on September 23, 2015, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 13, 2015, 09:44:19 PM

We knew this was coming within the next year or two, so not a shock. Glad to see it's actually moving forward.
The Project Bid Information page for the contract is now online, so far it only features a general contractor notice:
https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-16-1030-0H100-0H002-00000005477&external=true&parentUrl=bid

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on September 23, 2015, 10:57:23 AMThanks.  My bad for not reading the Route Log Info more closely - it's not the best site for getting info "at a glance".  I've corrected my original post.
No problem.  I have to wonder if the state's reasoning behind having the US/MA 3 mile markers continuous was for location purposes.  If the mile markers on US 3 were reset to 0; it would be very possible to a duplicate set of mile markers (and soon interchange numbers) along MA 3 in the South Shore and US 3 north of I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

It is also due to the fact that Massachusetts does not distinguish between classes of routes. I-95 is officially Route 95, just like Route 2 is Route 2. So both Mass 3 and US-3 are simply Route 3.

shadyjay

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 23, 2015, 12:59:24 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 23, 2015, 10:57:23 AMThanks.  My bad for not reading the Route Log Info more closely - it's not the best site for getting info "at a glance".  I've corrected my original post.
No problem.  I have to wonder if the state's reasoning behind having the US/MA 3 mile markers continuous was for location purposes.  If the mile markers on US 3 were reset to 0; it would be very possible to a duplicate set of mile markers (and soon interchange numbers) along MA 3 in the South Shore and US 3 north of I-95.

Also probably the same reason why exit numbers on US 3 were never changed from the "#25 is Route 128" model.  Exits on MA 3 are from #1-20.  If there was exit #1 on US 3, it could very well cause confusion. 

Just another reason why US 3 and MA 3 should either be merged or segregated... I suggest I-89 for US 3 north of 128/95. 

KEVIN_224

While in Massachusetts on Tuesday, I just had to ask again...when the hell is this sign in Auburn going to get changed out?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 23, 2015, 10:19:28 PM
While in Massachusetts on Tuesday, I just had to ask again...when the hell is this sign in Auburn going to get changed out?

This thread has been abuzz with talk of Mass Pike sign replacement bid specs recently being published, so it is in the works.

Jim

While I am happy to hear that mileage-based exit numbers are coming very soon to the Mass Pike, I will be sad to see the one just posted in Auburn with the old pilgrim hat and the CT-style MA 33 outline shield westbound approaching Chicopee go away.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Rothman

Quote from: Jim on September 24, 2015, 11:43:35 AM
While I am happy to hear that mileage-based exit numbers are coming very soon to the Mass Pike, I will be sad to see the one just posted in Auburn with the old pilgrim hat and the CT-style MA 33 outline shield westbound approaching Chicopee go away.

I believe the new signage will also no longer have MA 12 on it, either, which makes me sad.  I remember when it was I-290 / MA 12 / MA 52... *sigh*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bob7374

Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2015, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: Jim on September 24, 2015, 11:43:35 AM

I believe the new signage will also no longer have MA 12 on it, either, which makes me sad.  I remember when it was I-290 / MA 12 / MA 52... *sigh*
Yes, just I-290 and I-395, (and no reference to Auburn, both will be on auxiliary signage) as shown on this sign plan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.